GDT: R1G6 | Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders | April 28th | 7:00 PM | F/2-1 OTL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This series was mostly self-defeating; that's what frustrates me the most. Who knows what would have happened if they faced NJD or NYR?

They had a golden opportunity to take down this team. Game 2 was key, and so was last night. They blew it. That falls on everyone. They had a lead in both games with pretty much 10 mins to go IN THE 3rd and could not close. They were controlling this game. That's on coaching and personnel.

My first change is coaching. You can't just transform your core. From what I've seen, Lambert cannot maximize this talent. Put him with a rebuilding team or a team who has elite talent, and he'll do okay/well.

In a sense, the Canes were lucky that the Isles imploded, yet the Isles imploded bc of their deficiencies, top to bottom.

As far as personnel, I'll leave that for another post.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Unfortunate ending. Sorokin didn’t deserve to go out like that. He carried this team and the main reason we were in the playoffs.

Fitting the goal came off a defensive turnover.

This is just a portly constructed roster. Don’t have a single defenseman that can breakout with a pass or skating it out.

Up front we lack top end talent and skating ability. Lou living in the 90a! The sooner he goes the better.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Guess this team wasn't built for the playoffs after all.
They were built for the playoffs, the 2018 playoffs. We were built to go up against teams that won playing a heavy game.

This series was mostly self-defeating; that's what frustrates me the most. Who knows what would have happened if they faced NJD or NYR?
They likely skate us into the ground.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My first change is coaching. You can't just transform your core. From what I've seen, Lambert cannot maximize this talent. Put him with a rebuilding team or a team who has elite talent, and he'll do okay/well.
That's the trouble here. I think the talent has been maximized. There just isn't enough talent here. We kept waiting for goals that never came. We just don't have enough guys with finishing ability around the net and skill to make plays in the offensive zone. That's a Lou problem more than a Lane problem.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
How many goals (or even chances) did the Isles have in the series off bang-bang plays/one-timers? Cross-ice passes in general? How about shots from the point? How many rebound opportunities?

They got 2019 Trotz'd. They had shots, but CAR limited the truly dangerous chances off cross-slot passes, passes from behind the goal, shots from the point with traffic in front, and rebounds. It didn't help that the Isles were going high with their shots at times they would have been better served shooting low to create rebound chances. I remember one play last night where we had a good chance off a rush from the slot and Lee was wide open to the side of the goalie, and the shot went high glove side. A low shot, even if saved off the pads, if it bounced towards Lee would have likely been a goal.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I can't blame Barzal for taking a shot at Lambert, he's not a good fit for this team. Time to grab Laviolette.
I'd say Barzal isn't a good fit for this team. If I had to rank what has kept the Islanders from advancing further in an era where they had great defenders and goalies I'd say the lack of a PP is first and Barzal's failure to develop is second. He's a great skater and mediocre hockey player, not to mention a turnover machine. There's always an excuse with this guy...he doesn't have the wings...Trotz system is holding him back...Lambert can't coach...etc etc

After Trotz left somewhat mysteriously Barzal seemed giddy and said the team needed a change. I wonder what his input to Lou was about Trotz, especially when it was around his extension signing.

Tavares made his wings better, even made Moulson a big scorer. There were so many playoff games when this team needed one goal like last night and Barzal did nothing. He's a bust and doesn't even seem embarrassed about it

As for Lambert, he didn't put this roster together. He inherited a s*** first line and a lot of bad contracts. He guided them to a playoff spot when it looked bad and needed to win 2/3 of the games remaining to get a wildcard. He did it. He can't score from the bench though. The team was constantly in position to win games with just one more goal and didn't get it done. Barzal was the primary culprit again and again.

I'm not saying Lambert is great, but he's far down the list of problems.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I wonder if Barzal voiced his displeasure with going into a shell in the 3rd while on the bench and The Coach Sat him down.... He did not see much time in the 3rd from what I remember from the game last night.
Stats say he played 16:48 mins total.
We were out-hit, out Shot-blocked and gave up double the Giveaways....

Screenshot_7319.jpg

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
That's the trouble here. I think the talent has been maximized. There just isn't enough talent here. We kept waiting for goals that never came. We just don't have enough guys with finishing ability around the net and skill to make plays in the offensive zone. That's a Lou problem more than a Lane problem.
I think they need more talent, but they have definitely regressed under Lambert.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
How many goals (or even chances) did the Isles have in the series off bang-bang plays/one-timers? Cross-ice passes in general? How about shots from the point? How many rebound opportunities?

They got 2019 Trotz'd. They had shots, but CAR limited the truly dangerous chances off cross-slot passes, passes from behind the goal, shots from the point with traffic in front, and rebounds. It didn't help that the Isles were going high with their shots at times they would have been better served shooting low to create rebound chances. I remember one play last night where we had a good chance off a rush from the slot and Lee was wide open to the side of the goalie, and the shot went high glove side. A low shot, even if saved off the pads, if it bounced towards Lee would have likely been a goal.
Carolina has been playing the same way for 5 years under Brind'amour...swarm the puck relentlessly and be incredibly effective with their sticks blocking passes and shots. And for 5 years the Isles under two coaches have been flummoxed by it. Part of it is team speed, but geez you have to move the puck quickly and definitively against this team.

Look at the goal last night -- Carolina makes a mistake, and the Isles for once move the puck up the ice without hesitation. One more split second the shot would have been blocked. Another full second it's barely even a scoring chance.

They play nothing like Trotz, but it looks that way bc the Isles move the puck so darn slowly and methodically.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Carolina has been playing the same way for 5 years under Brind'amour...swarm the puck relentlessly and be incredibly effective with their sticks blocking passes and shots. And for 5 years the Isles under two coaches have been flummoxed by it. Part of it is team speed, but geez you have to move the puck quickly and definitively against this team.

Look at the goal last night -- Carolina makes a mistake, and the Isles for once move the puck up the ice without hesitation. One more split second the shot would have been blocked. Another full second it's barely even a scoring chance.

They play nothing like Trotz, but it looks that way bc the Isles move the puck so darn slowly and methodically.
Aside from last year, the Islanders made the ECF twice back to back. I wouldn't say we were flummoxed by it in the past, the past series we were outcoached though. When you struggle to connect passes and Carolina does it with ease, you have a problem. When you are better off with 5v5 hockey than being on the PP, you have a problem. There were plenty of times during the series where the Islanders didn't even register a shot while being a man up.

We can blame the players (of course many players have had a hand in the poor season and playoff performance), but when it comes to a lack of strategy, that falls entirely on the coach. It's a clear differentiating factor between Lambert and Trotz.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Aside from last year, the Islanders made the ECF twice back to back. I wouldn't say we were flummoxed by it in the past, the past series we were outcoached though. When you struggle to connect passes and Carolina does it with ease, you have a problem. When you are better off with 5v5 hockey than being on the PP, you have a problem. There were plenty of times during the series where the Islanders didn't even register a shot while being a man up.

We can blame the players (of course many players have had a hand in the poor season and playoff performance), but when it comes to a lack of strategy, that falls entirely on the coach. It's a clear differentiating factor between Lambert and Trotz.
They've been flummoxed by Carolina. They've won 2 of 10 playoff games against them under Trotz and Lambert and haven't done a whole lot better in the regular season meetings.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

It's both potentiating. As I said before the series, I was concerned if they'd have enough scoring to tie, separate, or, go ahead. They also took a lot of dumb penalties, Sorokin was inconsistent, and the D made some significant gaffes (though that's personnel).

I would like to see this team (most of it, not all), under a full year of a better coach; with Barzal and Bo (whether they are on the same line or not), and of course more talent.

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Florida scored 7.

Boston scored 5.

Isles scored 1.

disappointing.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
And if everyone didn't see the importance of a player like Burns on defense, who just tortured the Isles this series, over a statue like Mayfield, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Burns kept pucks in the zone, jumped up when needed, and was noticeable despite being 100 years old.

The Isles have to find someone like that but ideally a few years younger. That would help offset the inevitable Pelech injury every season, takes pressure off of Dobson and be it Aho or Bolduc, help the PP, transition, possession, etc.

I don't disagree, but there's VERY few on the level of Burns who provide that kind of offensive pressure and play stoutly enough defensively. I maintain even Ghostisbhere who I was told was atrocious defensively but seemed to do just fine against us, would have been a prudent add at the deadline. Anyone with a breakout pass ability would have been sorely welcome. Also would have eliminated the need to play Bolduc early in the series.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don't disagree, but there's VERY few on the level of Burns who provide that kind of offensive pressure and play stoutly enough defensively. I maintain even Ghostisbhere who I was told was atrocious defensively but seemed to do just fine against us, would have been a prudent add at the deadline. Anyone with a breakout pass ability would have been sorely welcome. Also would have eliminated the need to play Bolduc early in the series.

I think production from the backend is one of our biggest issues. Pelech, Romonov, Mayfield and even Pulock produce very little offense. Everything falls to Aho and Dobson and it is too much to ask of those 2 guys.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Seeing Sorokin giving up a goal on a shot from the goal line was really tough. While that shot should have been stopped, the Isles were clearly outplayed by the Canes in this series.
I don’t want to criticize the man that carried the team on his back throughout the season and was the reason they made the playoffs at all, however looking at the replay multiple times it appears if he doesn’t throw out his right leg the puck sails through the crease to the other side of the rink.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Took way too long to put Aho on the top unit. Dobson has been a train wreck for months…
While Dobson has been underwhelming to say the least he will develop into an outstanding D-man he’s been given a tall task for a young inexperienced D-man he’s not Cale Makar give time we’ll have a quality player there. And I believe Pelech isn’t 100% and same with Barzal
Add Dobson
personally I think

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I saw the game this morning, on delay.

When I got my NHL.TV going, I noticed that what I was watching was 3 hours and 3 minutes long, so unless there was some kind of huge brawl or other delay, it was clear the game was going to OT.

Then Clutterbuck scored early and I told my son, "Great start, but I'm gonna be some kind of mad if this game goes to OT tied 1-1."

So, I was already fuming as the 3rd period approached. Then I saw us hold on for dear life just to get to OT.

Now, I've been around long enough to know these games almost always end with a fluke/ugly goal, so the second Pelech flubbed on the clear attempt and that puck was held in the zone, I started saying, "Oh no, oh no, oh no...", but before I finished that third "oh no", the puck was in the net.

Like, mysteriously.

Feeling empty, I turned it off and said to my son, who has become hockey crazy over the past 4 months or so, "Welp, that's all she wrote. Changes are gonna have to be coming."

Just instinctual.

Getting to the playoffs was extremely exciting, but this isn't a young, up-n-coming team that can be excited about what was achieved as a sign of better things to come. The deficiencies were seen throughout these six games, even while winning a few.

There are building blocks.

And yet, questions abound everywhere you look.

Last edited:

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Correct unfortunately many fans see through primrose glasses, and believe if you’re a pro you are just as good as every other pro. We all want a cup but everyone believes in a different way of attaining it. And if we had the horses we’d be playing at a higher level of skill, but we don’t and that’s why BT implemented a scheme that gave them the best chance of winning. Suffocating Defense limited opportunities and then counter punch wear them down with physical punishment. That was the recipe and those teams were better than this iteration! Many here just want to make the playoffs and should we continue to make the wildcard be prepared for similar results. Also to those disparaging Sorokin if he walks in another year you will then understand the talent he possesses when he’s got an offense to back up his brilliance! Goaltending is the holy grail of hockey.

Reactions: Surfrat and MJF

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Burns is a perennial all star and has been so in this league for some time. We may have watched a different game. With few exceptions this series, the D pretty much did their job . Take away the fluke OT goal from Stastny and I'll spot Carolina a goal per game anytime. Also stats don't lie. I invite you to compare the stat lines for all 6 D. Check out shots on goal, BS, TOI, TA and GA, and the PK over the entire series and tell me who stands out. Go to Corsi on 5v5 play. Same thing Physical play counts for everything during the playoffs. Who checked that box? Everyone had their mistakes, none more significant than Pelech's GA in OT. Pulock had a great series......until last night. 1 shot on goal, a secondary assist, no hits, no BS, transition difficulties . Not sure why you want to compare Apples and Oranges (Mayfield and Burns). They play different roles. I'd compare Pulock and Burns. Should we upgrade on Pulock? Or Pelech? That's $13mm AAV. Dobson gets $4mm and who knows whether he outgrows his "softness" for the next playoff run. Mayfield would get $4mm over 4/5 if they paid him. They won't. Wouldn't "reconstruction" be better aimed at our goal scoring and finishing ability? Bailey, Mayfield, Martin(?), Pageau and maybe a few others will be gone in a couple months. When a team with a Physical identity loses the few players who identify with that it could be a long road back.
To be fair I never said our D was bad. The original post by MJF wasn't necessarily complaining about the D, he was just pointing out that they can learn a lot from Burns and that is what I agree with. He was always putting pucks on net (that actually got through and created Carolina opportunities), pinching at the right time to keep us pinned in and creating opportunistic offense that never really sacrificed his defensive positioning. The guy is 38 years old and cagey beyond belief. Our top 6 are good, hell Aho was pretty good this series but 3e just don't have that offensive presence from a defenseman and it really hurts.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
After further reflection. Still frustrated, naturally. This was a beatable team, and for the most part, NYI hung with them. Had Sorokin not let in a few softies, and played like the advantage he was slated to be, they probably would've prevailed.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
After further reflection. Still frustrated, naturally. This was a beatable team, and for the most part, NYI hung with them. Had Sorokin not let in a few softies, and played like the advantage he was slated to be, they probably would've prevailed.
Welllllll........to win consistently a team needs to average or come close to 3 goals a game. Three of our losses: 1-2-1 goals. That pretty much requires any goaltender to be nearly perfect each game. Even the best of the best will have a hard time doing that consistently.

Will not even get started on what even an average power play would have done for us this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad