Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Quinn buys apartment in Jersey!!!!!!

Quinn is smaller than Letang. 3" shorter and 35 lbs lighter
If Quinn is in need of learning why is he in the NHL why not in Abby?
He is good enough for the NHL, and can still learn in the NHL like many young players do. A player of Hughes' calibre in the AHL wouldn't learn because he could outskill his deficiencies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I don't think any other player in the league had as much responsibility as Hughes did this past season. Talk about minutes and zone starts all you want, but especially with Petey down, Hughes would be deferred to for pretty much every play beginning and end when on the ice. He had the puck a ridiculous amount of the time, every PP, every OT, every zone exit or point control. Would love to see stats on that if such a thing exists.

Watching guys like Petro and Hedman, hell even Makar, some may play a bit more, and in more roles, but they have other teammates making plays. Other weapons being used to put some guesswork into the opposing team. Hughes basically plays with 4 guys looking for him to make every decision. That's a lot for young player on a piss poor coached team who's rookie and sophomore seasons add up to little more than 1 full season.

Watching the Avs/Knights/Lighting this run was a real eye opener. They have superstar talents, but they don't lean on any of them too much. Nucks tried to play as the Hughes show all season, and yea that didn't go so well, not much fault of his own.

I think this is a point that has been lacking in the conversations about Quinn lately

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wonder what Rasmus Dahlin's contract is going to look like? Dahlin and Hughes were drafted the same year.

Hughes was a -24 but Dahlin was a horrible -36. I presume Dahlin's advance stats are worse than Hughes as well. Interesting to see Hughes not only being a much better point producer, but better defensively. I thought defense was a strong suit of Dahlin's, but he is the worst defenseman in the league.

you wanna stand by that statement?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Kris Letang 6'0" 200 lbs
Q. Hughes 5'10" 180 lbs

You say some dumb stuff dude.
Then why does international hockey list him as 5'8.5"/1.74 m and 155 lbs/70 kg? They have to be accurate for the Worlds and Olympics, not allowed to exaggerate size and weight.

Next year he will 6' and 195 no doubt.

If you doubt just look at a few pictures of him with his brothers, he has spaghetti arms and a lot shorter than his siblings.

Shorty also finds it funny that he is listed taller than him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Wonder what Rasmus Dahlin's contract is going to look like? Dahlin and Hughes were drafted the same year.

Hughes was a -24 but Dahlin was a horrible -36. I presume Dahlin's advance stats are worse than Hughes as well. Interesting to see Hughes not only being a much better point producer, but better defensively. I thought defense was a strong suit of Dahlin's, but he is the worst defenseman in the league.
Dahlin played in all situations and was not sheltered. Just having Hughes get more ozone starts probably saved him another -10 or more, that and not playing on the PK.

I don't think any other player in the league had as much responsibility as Hughes did this past season.
I mentioned this, this is the same stuff that Edmonton was crucified for, pushing too hard on the young players. For years Vancouver fans ridiculed Oiler fans because they rushed their players and ruined them, but now it is okay for Vancouver.
Fans should look and compare the two franchises going back, Edmonton's for 10+ years prior 2014 and Canucks since 2014.
Almost a mirror from rookie presidents/coaches to buddies being hired and top drafted players being rushed and too much pressure put on them to win.
Even the reluctance of FA's to sign here now under Benning but when under Gillis the top FA's were taking less than offered by other teams to play here.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I can't believe that Hughes wouldn't jump at the chance to play with the Devils nor that the Devils wouldn't overpay to acquire him so I think I agree with you on this. I doubt he will improve much defensively, at least not under Green so I think it's time to make a decision on him...
For the good of the cap as well. Improved depth at forward, size at defence and OEL can pick up the scoring slack until another comes along, maybe Rathbone adds some too. Man if they got Graves that would be a steal, the Russian and Graves would put the Canucks into division winner talks not just wild card asperations.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Hey, trade him for Dahlin. Maybe even add a couple of later picks.
Dahlin has been compared to Hedmon and Linstrom, Hughes hasn't been compared to anyone

Someone should look up who is the shortest defenceman to ever win a cup. Krup?
There aren't very many.
And you have to go by International competition to get true sizes of players, no marketing trying to enhance a players size and stature. 5'8.5"

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
you wanna stand by that statement?
Dahlin's plus minus was worst by a defenseman by far. So maybe fairer to say worst heavily relied upon d man.

I can't believe that Hughes wouldn't jump at the chance to play with the Devils nor that the Devils wouldn't overpay to acquire him

I gotta think that the Devils trying to acquire Quinn is a very real possibility. The owners would probably push for because of the marketing possibilities, and he is a great player.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If he makes more than 7 per I'll be gobsmacked.

(Unless it's like an 8 year deal with growth in the later years that changes the overall AAV.)

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Dahlin was fine defensively in a top 4 role his first 2 seasons. This year he was given a bigger role, and on top of playing for a team with a 38 GF% at 5v5. He isn't going to live up to his draft hype or develop into a #1. He would be best suited playing a 3-4 role and pp qb.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I mentioned this, this is the same stuff that Edmonton was crucified for, pushing too hard on the young players. For years Vancouver fans ridiculed Oiler fans because they rushed their players and ruined them, but now it is okay for Vancouver.
Fans should look and compare the two franchises going back, Edmonton's for 10+ years prior 2014 and Canucks since 2014.
Almost a mirror from rookie presidents/coaches to buddies being hired and top drafted players being rushed and too much pressure put on them to win.
Even the reluctance of FA's to sign here now under Benning but when under Gillis the top FA's were taking less than offered by other teams to play here.
What Canucks rookie was rushed? Hughes needs to work on his defensive game, which he can learn in the NHL, but is putting up elite numbers.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I love Hughes but when all’s said and done it’s not he he is thr best player, or dman in this draft.

Is he the next coming of Scott Niedermayer/Brian Leetch, or Tyson Barrie instead? His commitment to improving his defensive game will determine his ranking down the line.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hughes was the highest scoring rookie D-man since Leetch. Now I'm not saying he will become Brian Leetch but I will point out Brian Leetch wasn't known for great defense for the bulk of his career and yet was a valuable player. He also got a lot better as he matured. Hughes is not the kind of guy you give up on at this time. He's the type of player you coach (which brings us to the real issue with his development the last 12-18 months).

Reactions: supercanuck

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think Hughes is going to put it together defensively to at least be average in that category. Couple that with an elite transition game and elite offense and he will still be a top end defenseman in this league and extremely valuable to the Canucks.

It's easy to forget, but Hughes is only 21 years old to start this season.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think Hughes is going to put it together defensively to at least be average in that category. Couple that with an elite transition game and elite offense and he will still be a top end defenseman in this league and extremely valuable to the Canucks.

His defensive deficiencies are often over-stated. He has too much hockey iq and skill to not adapt his game and become a better all around defender. We saw a decent enough defensive player in his rookie season because he had a competent partner.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We happen to have that player right under our noses in Jack Rathbone. And yes, I believe he is very capable of 60+ point seasons running our powerplay, while being much better defensively. Unfortunately for him, with Hughes here, he will never get that opportunity.

Jack Rathbone is going to put up 70 points and defend very well?

the f***?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

true about his age but the issue is he’s been playing hockey for 15 years and this is how he plays. He likes to take chances at the risk of giving up chances. He likes to play out of position. You also can’t change the fact he’s 5’8 and likely never going to weigh more than a buck seventy.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
His defensive deficiencies are often over-stated. He has too much hockey iq and skill to not adapt his game and become a better all around defender. We saw a decent enough defensive player in his rookie season because he had a competent partner.

You don’t pay a guy 8-10m that needs to have a babysitter beside him or that his ceiling is “decent” defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad