Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The ongoing incessant whining about the broader under-appreciation of Hughes by the organization and local media reeks of insecurity, and is why the centre of the universe still views us as a Mickey Mouse market.

Reactions: bossram

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The ongoing incessant whining about the broader under-appreciation of Hughes by the organization and local media reeks of insecurity, and is why the centre of the universe still views us as a Mickey Mouse market.
Just heard one of the top finnish NHL anaysts say QH is nota top 32 Dman in the league.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Really hope he gets a Norris one day.

I feel like hes going to need to put up a 100 pt season to do it though..

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
“One of the top Finnish NHL analysts”

Like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Despite a decent recent track record, Hairy still not ready to approve of PM’s sources just yet

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
A reminder of just how much the draft is crap-shoot even in the top-10. Canucks could have just as easily had Filip Zadina instead of Quinn Hughes: and Nolan Patrick instead of Elias Pettersson.

And we could just as easily have Matthew Tkachuk instead of Oli Juolevi and Michal Nylander instead of Jake Virtanen.

You win some, and lose some.
I would have called into question the rationale that would go into drafting a 41 year old (at the time) 6th overall back in 2014 but go off Jimmy B

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just heard one of the top finnish NHL anaysts say QH is nota top 32 Dman in the league.

Who seriously cares, market acting like people are making personal “Your Mama” jokes or something. Canucks fans and media are total nut jobs.

If I were in national media I’d just get the market all worked up for the fun of it.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Who seriously cares, market acting like people are making personal “Your Mama” jokes or something. Canucks fans and media are total nut jobs.

If I were in national media I’d just get the market all worked up for the fun of it.
Fine. Its not the least bit interesting to you that people are not paying more attention to the Canucks.

Im not "worked up." But I do find it odd that all the way in Finland this story keeps getting repeated and we are quite a few years removed from the one season where it might have been true for QH.

Reactions: geebster

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

Whats wrong with yo mama jokes?!?

Also, Hughes is criminally underrated. That might not matter to you and thats fine. It does seem to motivate him since he is well aware of it (per Athletic article). For people that think that people who write articles and provide "expert" opinion should actually watch the players they are commenting on play, it is an obvious issue to point out. Its obvious they havent seen him play since the bubble year where he was actually poor defensively.

If they had stats or actual plays or a nuanced argument I dont care where they rank him even if its very low, its good to have different perspectives out there and fans are going to be biased one way or another. But its a near universal opinion among media and fans that he is bad defensively and benefits from a powerplay with Petey and Miller etc more than he actually contributes (since he largely gets assists and not goals). The reality is he does things that at most only a couple other guys can do and drives play and possession at such a level that he is clearly better than a top 30 or 20 dman.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have never really had a d-man in their lineup, who was a serious Norris candidate. Until now.

Hughes is almost single-handedly taking over games right now. And his shot--which was always a bit of hole in his game--looks to have improved dramatically. Of course like a lot of great players, I'm sure Quinn has worked doggedly on improving his shot since he entered the league.

With Quinn, it isn't just about points either. Every time he's on the ice, he tilts the rink in the other direction. The Eastern Media, who ultimately decide it, are taking notice.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only interesting take was his love affair with Dougie Hamilton

there is a lot of young and very good defenceman in the league right now (McAvoy, Makar, Fox, Heiskanen, Dahlin etc.), and he put Dougie Hamilton in this upper echelon of defense and 3rd on his ballet.

I would take his last two defense partners over Hamilton himself in Siegenthaler and Slavin
Hamilton is so franking overrated

Reactions: ghostingtaro

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
dougie hamilton is a superstar who doesn't fit the mold of a pro hockey player and gets discounted as a result. he's one of the 10 best defenders in the league though imo

Reactions: vancityluongo

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
dougie hamilton is a superstar who doesn't fit the mold of a pro hockey player and gets discounted as a result. he's one of the 10 best defenders in the league though imo

He’s not a superstar
That term fits very few in this league and it sure as hell isn’t him.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
He’s not a superstar
That term fits very few in this league and it sure as hell isn’t him.

he's been a top 10 defender in the league for nearly a decade. that's a superstar even if the media hate him because he's not a prototypical nhl personality

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

Also, Hughes is criminally underrated. That might not matter to you and thats fine. It does seem to motivate him since he is well aware of it (per Athletic article). For people that think that people who write articles and provide "expert" opinion should actually watch the players they are commenting on play, it is an obvious issue to point out. Its obvious they havent seen him play since the bubble year where he was actually poor defensively.

If they had stats or actual plays or a nuanced argument I dont care where they rank him even if its very low, its good to have different perspectives out there and fans are going to be biased one way or another. But its a near universal opinion among media and fans that he is bad defensively and benefits from a powerplay with Petey and Miller etc more than he actually contributes (since he largely gets assists and not goals). The reality is he does things that at most only a couple other guys can do and drives play and possession at such a level that he is clearly better than a top 30 or 20 dman.
If ESPN can come up with a coherent argument for why he's ~~better~~ worse than Seth Jones I'll listen.

Thinking about yo mama makes people violently ill.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
If ESPN can come up with a coherent argument for why he's better than Seth Jones I'll listen.
You dont believe Quinn Hughes is better than Seth Jones? Or you dont believe ESPN is capable of being coherent?

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
It's part of being a hockey fan, there's always something to critique, whether it's the player, on ice product, the media or the old gods and new

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad