Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What Hughes showed defensively at the NHL level last year was far from anything he had shown previously. If you only saw a few games, it’s hard to shake a narrative that was built years prior. It’s the reason Hughes makes 7.8 and not more - that contract wasn’t a slam dunk the moment it was signed.

Everyone knew what Hughes could do. But his defensive performance over three years had you questioning whether he could elevate above being a guy who needed an elite defensive dman to carry him in second pair matchups.

Hughes' contract was interesting since Makar kind of set the bar and then Heiskanen signed for 8 years. RFA contracts under Benning have actually been decent and tends towards being conservative so some of it might be fine negotiating (with the Canucks also cap strapped).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hughes' contract was interesting since Makar kind of set the bar and then Heiskanen signed for 8 years. RFA contracts under Benning have actually been decent and tends towards being conservative so some of it might be fine negotiating (with the Canucks also cap strapped).
i think hughes is a “hindsight” oh they should have given him 8 years at makar money

he wasn’t worth that extra risk at the time. it wasn’t a slam dunk signing. it was a signing at a justifiable number. and he’s unbelievably exceeded that number and now we need to maximize around him and ep

ep’s the one where i think it was always obvious he was an 8 year guy but eh i dont wanna debate that one

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021

As much as I absolutely hate all of the sports betting crap shoved down our throats, small stuff like this is really what starts to build the narrative that leads to votes, so it's a good start for Hughes' side of things.

Woowww over Dahlin too!!?? Same draft class

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So I keep getting facebooks notifications that NJ is interested in acquiring Q Hughes ... But none of them has any suggestion what the Canucks would get out of the deal. There is really nothing that NJ has that the Canucks would be interested in, is there?

They don't have cap space so we can't dump cap, and they have no strong players on decent contracts ... I see nothing in this for the Canucks.

Anyone seen any proposals that make sense?

Reactions: bh53

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
So I keep getting facebooks notifications that NJ is interested in acquiring Q Hughes ... But none of them has any suggestion what the Canucks would get out of the deal. There is really nothing that NJ has that the Canucks would be interested in, is there?

They don't have cap space so we can't dump cap, and they have no strong players on decent contracts ... I see nothing in this for the Canucks.

I don’t think you should read anything hockey related off Facebook lol

Reactions: Nick Lang

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

some online writer asked ChatGPT what are some topics that will engage hockey fans. this one was picked by AI, thats why there is no concrete information given in the article. Its meant to just drive clicks, its not written by a human.

Reactions: bh53

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Nothing about trading Hughes makes sense.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, sure. They can’t afford him though. Imagine how ridiculous the return would have to be to trade away the best defenceman your franchise has ever seen.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Fair enough. But my point was I can't think of a single offer NJ could make that would be of any interest to the Canucks. NJ have nothing to trade that Vcr would be interested in. Clearly the point of the trade is to unite the Hughes. NJ does not have a single asset that is 1. not named Hughes; 2. that is not overpaid. 3. that is a valuable prospect. 4 that is a worthwhile draft pick .... that Van would want. They have no cap space, so they can't even provide a cap dump.

I wasn't promoting this ... I was trying to point out how stupid the idea is.

petterdaddy

Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Fair enough. But my point was I can't think of a single offer NJ could make that would be of any interest to the Canucks. NJ have nothing to trade that Vcr would be interested in. Clearly the point of the trade is to unite the Hughes. NJ does not have a single asset that is 1. not named Hughes; 2. that is not overpaid. 3. that is a valuable prospect. 4 that is a worthwhile draft pick .... that Van would want. They have no cap space, so they can't even provide a cap dump.

I wasn't promoting this ... I was trying to point out how stupid the idea is.
1) are you Elliotte Friedman with the “VCR”??
2) the only player on the Devils I would even consider trading Hughes for is also named Hughes and it’s not the tall one.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

You shouldn’t get any info off from Facebook, period. I’m still surprised in 2023 people still rely on Facebook for shit.

It was all fun and games back in the mid to late 2000’s but we hav removed beyond that since.

petterdaddy

Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
You shouldn’t get any info off from Facebook, period. I’m still surprised in 2023 people still rely on Facebook for shit.

It was all fun and games back in the mid to late 2000’s but we hav removed beyond that since.
Tinfoil hat time but Meta (Facebook + Instagram) have some of the most aggressive data mining practices. I don’t have either and if I hadn’t deleted them pre-COVID I would have like 2 weeks in.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, Mercer and 3x 1st round picks

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Dhaliwal said today on his hit with H&B that Hughes is his pick for captain. This is based on what he's hearing, what he feels, if he was a betting man etc.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Dhaliwal said today on his hit with H&B that Hughes is his pick for captain. This is based on what he's hearing, what he feels, if he was a betting man etc.
I like Hughes for captain, personally. I think his is the voice in the locker room that would most benefit the team with endorsement as captain.

Reactions: MarkMM

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Devils have a ton of assets that could make trading Hughes work it's just that it's completely unrealistic fantasy hockey that neither team would explore.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canucks are releasing a lot of Quinn's offseason videos of late. I wonder if he's the pick for captain (of course as soon as I say this the Canucks will switch to showcasing Petey).

Hughes is looking pretty strong.

I think Hughes and Petey have all grown into leaders and somewhat comfortable speaking to the media. I'm not inside the room so I'm not sure who makes the better leader.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Revisiting that 2018 draft, it's still a wonderment that Hughes was still on the board when the Canucks picked seventh overall.

Looking at some of the players drafted ahead of him--Kotkaniemi and Zadina aren't even with the teams that drafted them. While Barrett Hayton is useful guy in Arizona, but still a bizarre choice by the Coyotes at fifth overall.

But the Wings selection of Zadina might have been the biggest 'whiff' in the draft, particularly because Quinn Hughes was playing his NCAA hockey right in their backyard. Also of interest--Vitaly Kravstov was picked ninth by the Rangers in that draft.

So the Canucks eventually secured two of the top10 picks in that draft. And since Zadina was placed on waivers and bought out by the Wings, they might even have had him as well if they'd been interested, but he signed in San Jose.

Just goes to show that teams other than the Canucks swing and miss on their top-10 picks. Almost makes up for drafting Oli Juolevi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad