Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This guy is flat out our best player now, and it's odd that he isn't referred to as such. Could go down as the best Canuck ever.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I haven't posted in quite sometime. Enjoying the Osoyoos heat in the Okanagan.

Was quite shocked to see Quinn Hughes so far down in the votes for the Norris trophy candidates. Rediculous to see the young star defenseman who really upped the defensive side of his game get shafted from the rest of the league. Hughes had the best plus/minus is his career (+15), while nearly putting up a point per game on one of the worst defensive cores in the league. Quinn was nothing short of amazing this season, and "at this point in time" has become really underrated around the NHL.

Looking forward to seeing this kid up his game even more next season, and finally make those doubters who still think he's a defensive liability eat crow.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This guy is flat out our best player now, and it's odd that he isn't referred to as such. Could go down as the best Canuck ever.
One day, if he stays healthy, Hughes will win a Norris. And that would automatically make him the best d-men to ever lace them up for the Canucks.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Haha, I've been saying that for two years.
Pettersson racked up over 100 points last year and was absolutely brilliant, but this team is nothing without Huggy Bear.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
That’s ridiculous. Demko put up good not great numbers on a terrible Canucks team and that didn’t go unnoticed. People recognize his game.

No one has it out for us, I really don’t think our players are being underrated. Another season like this from Hughes and he will surely climb the rankings

I didn't say anyone had it out for us. I said that in the Canadian division, the one time eastern media saw him play often, he was a huge defensive liability. That perception has stuck and so he doesn't get the hype he deserves. Eastern media drives these narratives and someone that good on the Leafs would be seen daily and gotten more votes. That doesn't mean they have it out for us it just means they don't watch our games as much or report on us as much as the Leafs (which are a bigger market with way more fans - hence more media focus). He will eventually get the credit he deserves but it will take a lot longer than it would if he played out east.

Reactions: MS

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I didn't say anyone had it out for us. I said that in the Canadian division, the one time eastern media saw him play often, he was a huge defensive liability. That perception has stuck and so he doesn't get the hype he deserves. Eastern media drives these narratives and someone that good on the Leafs would be seen daily and gotten more votes. That doesn't mean they have it out for us it just means they don't watch our games as much or report on us as much as the Leafs (which are a bigger market with way more fans - hence more media focus). He will eventually get the credit he deserves but it will take a lot longer than it would if he played out east.
I agree with you completely

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What Hughes showed defensively at the NHL level last year was far from anything he had shown previously. If you only saw a few games, it’s hard to shake a narrative that was built years prior. It’s the reason Hughes makes 7.8 and not more - that contract wasn’t a slam dunk the moment it was signed.

Everyone knew what Hughes could do. But his defensive performance over three years had you questioning whether he could elevate above being a guy who needed an elite defensive dman to carry him in second pair matchups.

Like it was a fair question as to whether if he was alongside a middling guy as to whether or not he could succeed defensively or if he’d really be best suited being sheltered against opponent bottom sixes.

I think those who hear no evil, see no evil like to pretend this wasn’t the case but Hughes commentary shows that even he knew that he wasn’t good enough before. The level shown last year was an enormous jump. Huge.

I always thought we’d just have to be OK with him not being on the same level as a guy like Fox defensively but he looked better than Fox. He was so disruptive all over the ice.

I think he also should be given the C over EP without question. And any suggestions of Miller with the C are unbelievably stupid.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What Hughes showed defensively at the NHL level last year was far from anything he had shown previously. If you only saw a few games, it’s hard to shake a narrative that was built years prior. It’s the reason Hughes makes 7.8 and not more - that contract wasn’t a slam dunk the moment it was signed.

Everyone knew what Hughes could do. But his defensive performance over three years had you questioning whether he could elevate above being a guy who needed an elite defensive dman to carry him in second pair matchups.

Like it was a fair question as to whether if he was alongside a middling guy as to whether or not he could succeed defensively or if he’d really be best suited being sheltered against opponent bottom sixes.

I think those who hear no evil, see no evil like to pretend this wasn’t the case but Hughes commentary shows that even he knew that he wasn’t good enough before. The level shown last year was an enormous jump. Huge.

I always thought we’d just have to be OK with him not being on the same level as a guy like Fox defensively but he looked better than Fox. He was so disruptive all over the ice.

I think he also should be given the C over EP without question. And any suggestions of Miller with the C are unbelievably stupid.
I feel like the narratives were built on a single season. Hughes has played 4 years in the league with 3 ranging from Good to excellent and one being horrific. Realistically his bounce back year in 2022 followed by another strong season this year should’ve dispelled the old narratives. Guess it doesn’t help that his one horrific season was the one with the most coverage.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20230723_205220_Facebook.jpg

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I haven't posted in quite sometime. Enjoying the Osoyoos heat in the Okanagan.

Was quite shocked to see Quinn Hughes so far down in the votes for the Norris trophy candidates. Rediculous to see the young star defenseman who really upped the defensive side of his game get shafted from the rest of the league. Hughes had the best plus/minus is his career (+15), while nearly putting up a point per game on one of the worst defensive cores in the league. Quinn was nothing short of amazing this season, and "at this point in time" has become really underrated around the NHL.

Looking forward to seeing this kid up his game even more next season, and finally make those doubters who still think he's a defensive liability eat crow.

not only this, Pettersson is top 5 among forwards with the most blocked shots.

0 votes for Selke.

they literally want to bend us over and screw us over and over again.

Reactions: PavelBure10

Coffees

Nov 12, 2021
not only this, Pettersson is top 5 among forwards with the most blocked shots.

0 votes for Selke.

they literally want to bend us over and screw us over and over again.
Good.

The harder they work and the higher the expectations, the better our players get.

Only a fool would think of being underrated by the league is a bad thing.

There’s a reason Quinn worked hard on his defence because he wanted to prove he is a good defender

Coffees

Nov 12, 2021
Even more shocking considering I’m in the middle of a Japanese jungle and the Wi-Fi is very spotty here.
Oh yeah your Japan trip.

I hope you and the family are having a great time

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like the narratives were built on a single season. Hughes has played 4 years in the league with 3 ranging from Good to excellent and one being horrific. Realistically his bounce back year in 2022 followed by another strong season this year should’ve dispelled the old narratives. Guess it doesn’t help that his one horrific season was the one with the most coverage.

Hughes' rookie year was very good but most of it was playing sheltered minutes with Tanev as a babysitter. When his minutes were upped he got shredded, and that continued through 20-21 when they put him into higher-leverage and he struggled badly.

He righted the ship and started to grow into being a guy who could handle high-leverage minutes in 21-22 and then absolutely started blowing the doors off those minutes over the final 50 games or so of 22-23.

am i misunderstanding this post?

petey got 43 votes for the selke, including 6 second place votes. which tbh is pretty fair imo.

Eh ... to me he was better defensively than Mitch Marner last year and plays C instead of wing but Marner was a Selke finalist.

Man, it helps to play for the Leafs.

Reactions: Vector

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Eh ... to me he was better defensively than Mitch Marner last year and plays C instead of wing but Marner was a Selke finalist.

Oh its become a horrendous popularity contest.

No disrespect to Patrice Bergeron he's arguably the greatest 2-way forward in hockey history but in my opinion he hasn't been that player the last 3 years and is now winning this trophy based on namesake.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

well ok but was petey as good defensively as barkov, JEE, and lindholm, whom he finished ahead of?

bottom half of the top ten feels fair to me.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Oh its become a horrendous popularity contest.

No disrespect to Patrice Bergeron he's arguably the greatest 2-way forward in hockey history but in my opinion he hasn't been that player the last 3 years and is now winning this trophy based on namesake.
I mean his defensive metrics are still better than everyone else. If there’s a better defensive forward, they would’ve won it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
well ok but was petey as good defensively as barkov, JEE, and lindholm, whom he finished ahead of?

bottom half of the top ten feels fair to me.

Barkov missed 15 games and also man did he look nowhere near his former self in the playoffs this year. Absolutely I think Pettersson was better than Lindholm this year.

Agreed that JEE is criminally underrated, though.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

As much as I absolutely hate all of the sports betting crap shoved down our throats, small stuff like this is really what starts to build the narrative that leads to votes, so it's a good start for Hughes' side of things.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad