Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I understand your point and I think you haven’t considered the fact we won’t be cup contenders either way and it will dramatically decrease the Canucks games entertainment value.

So I don’t see any point to this.
Why i said better be huge win win trade

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

With this team neither competing nor are they tanking for the next few years, they are going to be mediocre at best. Players like Hughes is not going to stay around because he wants to win the stanley cup. I believe he would want to go to the Devils once his contract is up and join his brother, and doubt we can be the team that lures Jack Hughes to the Canucks.

With Petterson and Hughes out of the way, we can finally start our rebuild and tank for a few years. After that, hopefully McDavid will start his decline and the canucks with several high promise prospects will be on the rise.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
With this team neither competing nor are they tanking for the next few years, they are going to be mediocre at best. Players like Hughes is not going to stay around because he wants to win the stanley cup. I believe he would want to go to the Devils once his contract is up and join his brother, and doubt we can be the team that lures Jack Hughes to the Canucks.

With Petterson and Hughes out of the way, we can finally start our rebuild and tank for a few years. After that, hopefully McDavid will start his decline and the canucks with several high promise prospects will be on the rise.

Given our ownership this is pure fantasy. They wouldn't trade Hughes now because Playoffs are the goal. Even if they were going to trade any of the young stars, it'll be for pieces that help them retool on the fly. A rebuild will never happen in VAncouver as long as Aquilini's own the team.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Given our ownership this is pure fantasy. They wouldn't trade Hughes now because Playoffs are the goal. Even if they were going to trade any of the young stars, it'll be for pieces that help them retool on the fly. A rebuild will never happen in VAncouver as long as Aquilini's own the team.
then i dont see why hughes would stay after his contract is up, why would he want to play for a team that is going to stay mediocre for a long, long time?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
then i dont see why hughes would stay after his contract is up, why would he want to play for a team that is going to stay mediocre for a long, long time?
4 season's left for them to try to improve and make the playoffs. It's not like his deal is up this summer.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
4 season's left for them to try to improve and make the playoffs. It's not like his deal is up this summer.
Making the playoffs is not good enough for players like Hughes, he wants to play for cup contender, not just showing up for a few games in the playoffs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

So trade Pettersson and Hughes, and hope that we can draft two players like Pettersson and Hughes..?...Its only taken the franchise 50 years to draft a D man of his caliber...Without those two, you're most likely looking at a 5 year rebuild minimum (not a few years).

While McDavid, declines in Edmonton, you'll most likely see an ascending Bedard in Anaheim or San Jose.

Reactions: kaczor and Coffees

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Ended up finishing 9th in Norris voting. Josh Morrissey finishing Top 5 and getting far more votes than Hughes tells me these voters only watch the first half of the season.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Ended up finishing 9th in Norris voting. Josh Morrissey finishing Top 5 and getting far more votes than Hughes tells me these voters only watch the first half of the season.

every player above him (except karlsson in first and dahlin in 8th) made the playoffs. the bias isn't against the canucks or hughes. it's against losing teams

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
every player above him (except karlsson in first and dahlin in 8th) made the playoffs. the bias isn't against the canucks or hughes. it's against losing teams
Another way to look at it is it takes a special kind of team to miss the playoffs with a top 10 Norris caliber player

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
9th May be a bit generous to be honest.

7 goals , doesn’t hit, clear the crease, has a muffin for a shot and not a particularly great defender.

He is a smooth skater with a good outlet / first pass.

9th is generous.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
9th May be a bit generous to be honest.

7 goals , doesn’t hit, clear the crease, has a muffin for a shot and not a particularly great defender.

He is a smooth skater with a good outlet / first pass.

9th is generous.

I think he's very good defensively. Not your traditional crease clearer but good stickwork and board play.

Smooth skater is an undersell of epic proportions. He's arguably the best skater in the league not counting McDavid.

9th won't be his best season.

So weird to me our own fans can be such a buzz kill for the players that are actually good.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think he's very good defensively. Not your traditional crease clearer but good stickwork and board play.

Smooth skater is an undersell of epic proportions. He's arguably the best skater in the league not counting McDavid.

9th won't be his best season.

So weird to me our own fans can be such a buzz kill for the players that are actually good.
With Hughes I think it is about liking big burly men. It is utter nonsense.

He has just one flaw, as a result of his skill set and stature. He has a really hard time breaking up a cycle. Everything else he is either good to great at or compensates with his skating and IQ.

But then... Large number of posters wanted EP40 gone after his difficult year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
9th is too low , I agree..fantastic player...If he played for the Leafs, it would be a different story.

Quinn wont be happy about that, and likes to prove people wrong..He's a quiet competitor.

Thats why he'll be the next captain.

Reactions: geebster

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20230713_055625_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: Bougieman

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
9th is too low , I agree..fantastic player...If he played for the Leafs, it would be a different story.

Quinn wont be happy about that, and likes to prove people wrong..He's a quiet competitor.

If he was on the Leafs he probably would be 2nd in votes to Karlsson. Hughes gets zero hype outside Vancouver. Since his sophomore season when he played in the Canadian division and was seen by Eastern media to be a defensive liability (which he was), they haven't gone back and reexamined his play. There's an assumption by the media that that's who he is, despite his defensive play being MUCH better now.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
If he was on the Leafs he probably would be 2nd in votes to Karlsson. Hughes gets zero hype outside Vancouver. Since his sophomore season when he played in the Canadian division and was seen by Eastern media to be a defensive liability (which he was), they haven't gone back and reexamined his play. There's an assumption by the media that that's who he is, despite his defensive play being MUCH better now.

That’s ridiculous. Demko put up good not great numbers on a terrible Canucks team and that didn’t go unnoticed. People recognize his game.

No one has it out for us, I really don’t think our players are being underrated. Another season like this from Hughes and he will surely climb the rankings

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad