Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
dougie hamilton is a superstar who doesn't fit the mold of a pro hockey player and gets discounted as a result. he's one of the 10 best defenders in the league though imo

Maybe last year, but he once had a top-10 Norris finish when he was his own team's #4 defender and a 4th place Norris finish when he was his own team's #3 defender, and has traditionally been hugely overrated.

Reactions: Vector

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Maybe last year, but he once had a top-10 Norris finish when he was his own team's #4 defender and a 4th place Norris finish when he was his own team's #3 defender, and has traditionally been hugely overrated.

i think he's pretty much always been the player he is now. he faces a lot of bias because he's 6'6, cerebral and thoughtful in a combination both nhl coaches and nhl media don't know how to come to grips with

he was run out of both boston and calgary because he wasn't zdeno chara and only left carolina because new jersey recognized that he was a legit superstar and were willing to pay him like one

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think he's pretty much always been the player he is now. he faces a lot of bias because he's 6'6, cerebral and thoughtful in a combination both nhl coaches and nhl media don't know how to come to grips with

he was run out of both boston and calgary because he wasn't zdeno chara and only left carolina because new jersey recognized that he was a legit superstar and were willing to pay him like one

He's spent most of his career as a taller Tyson Barrie scoring 40-50 points from soft 2nd pairing minutes. And you aren't a 'superstar' when you have a career high of 50 points from a 2nd pairing + heaps of PP time.

Last year in NJ was the first year of his career that he actually played big minutes and put up big numbers. His first year in NJ was tragic.

He was run out of Boston and Calgary for totally different, off-ice reasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's spent most of his career as a taller Tyson Barrie scoring 40-50 points from soft 2nd pairing minutes. And you aren't a 'superstar' when you have a career high of 50 points from a 2nd pairing + heaps of PP time.

Last year in NJ was the first year of his career that he actually played big minutes and put up big numbers. His first year in NJ was tragic.

He was run out of Boston and Calgary for totally different, off-ice reasons.

He had 82 points in 102 games in his last two years in Carolina, and was on the top pairing with Slavin. I think he’s generally been overrated by the analytics community and has benefitted from good partners most of his career, but he’s a lot better than Barrier ever was

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
The last few years my work schedule has prevented me from really watching the games. This year I can actually watch. I'd seen condensed games paired with the insight from all of you. But to watch. To see first hand. Quinn Hughes is so good it practically brings a tear to your eye. When he's on the ice he controls the game. He controls the game.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Big horvat fan but Quinn is looking like the better captain.

Oh and his game improved so much it’s unbelievable, we are so blessed to have him. Definitely amongst the best in the league.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He wants that Norris. Playing like a top 10 player in the league right now.

I'd go even higher than that honestly.

Before the season started I put a small bet on Quinn winning the Hart this year.

I figured if the Canucks were to really succeed it would greatly depend on Quinn levelling up again.

Probably too reputation based of an award for him to actually win it but those 200:1 odds look pretty decent right now.

Reactions: bh53 and tradervik

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I'd go even higher than that honestly.

Before the season started I put a small bet on Quinn winning the Hart this year.

I figured if the Canucks were to really succeed it would greatly depend on Quinn levelling up again.

Probably too reputation based of an award for him to actually win it but those 200:1 odds look pretty decent right now.
He won’t win the Hart unless the team wins the President trophy or something but he’ll be in consideration for the Norris Trophy the way he’s playing.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
LOL
Colorado has threads about Hughes in their forum

That is next level obsession from that fan base with a player
Those weirdos are so obsessed, it's insane. Any thread on the mainboards about Quinn has one of them (there's a few usual suspects) bringing up Makar.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He won’t win the Hart unless the team wins the President trophy or something but he’ll be in consideration for the Norris Trophy the way he’s playing.
He should be.

There really isn't a player more valuable to his team. (if he keeps this up)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A friend of mine that knows nothing about hockey asked me today

"Hey, is Pettersson the best player of the Canucks?"

I thought for a couple seconds and answer

"Depends on who you ask, he's either 2nd or 3rd best, it's between him and JT Miller. The best player the Canucks have is their captain, Quinn Hughes."

Reactions: CanucksMJL

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dare I say generational?
Best player in the league, so far, this season.

A friend of mine that knows nothing about hockey asked me today

"Hey, is Pettersson the best player of the Canucks?"

I thought for a couple seconds and answer

"Depends on who you ask, he's either 2nd or 3rd best, it's between him and JT Miller. The best player the Canucks have is their captain, Quinn Hughes."
I would go Hughes Demko Miller Pettersson based on this season.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Those weirdos are so obsessed, it's insane. Any thread on the mainboards about Quinn has one of them (there's a few usual suspects) bringing up Makar.
I went to the Avs board to see what that was about. Man, they have soured on Makar quite a bit. It appears that Hughes may have passed him, at least in this moment.

It's Fox vs Hughes right now for best d-man in the league. Fox definitely won that last matchup, hopefully Hughes can go stomp him next time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad