Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Hughes brothers have a good chance of going down as the best set of brothers ever to play. And it might not even be close.
There'd be a debate here for sure with the likes of the Sutters and Staal's, along with Bobby and Dennis Hull; Phil Esposito and Tony; and maybe the Mahovlich brothers.

But safe to say that when Luke Hughes arrives in the NHL......I doubt that three brothers will ever have the same Impact as the Hughes' in NHL history.

Reactions: iceburg and bh53

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You got legacy players that I think will finish higher

Hedman has been garbage this year, Tampa fans will tell you and every underlying number has tanked.

But he’ll finish higher than Hughes because they are a playoff team.

I think Hedman’s production is probably too far behind the pack to get a ton of votes this year. But there’s so many guys over 60 points already that I think Hughes’ still lower defensive rep will probably push him back a bit.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
To be fair to Karlsson he is playing top minutes for a team that has a almost a -70 goal differential. Another thing in Karlsson's favor is he has 30 points more than anyone on his team.

Hughes +18 is even more impressive when you consider how bad are goaltending has been this year though.

Hughes being bad defensively hasn't really been a thing since the 2021 season. He's improved tremendously in that regard since.

Karlsson’s +/- also looks worse due to empty net goals. He’s +7 5v5 on a team that’s -41 5v5. His big minuses have come from short handed goals against (-9), and empty net goals against (-16).

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Karlsson’s +/- also looks worse due to empty net goals. He’s +7 5v5 on a team that’s -41 5v5. His big minuses have come from short handed goals against (-9), and empty net goals against (-16).
Where did you get such stats? That's very impressive.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The Hughes brothers have a good chance of going down as the best set of brothers ever to play. And it might not even be close.

rocket richard is a top three playoff performer ever and probably a top five goal scorer

henri richard is a top five defensive forward ever

the first two hughes boys have been extremely impressive so far but man…

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
rocket richard is a top three playoff performer ever and probably a top five goal scorer

henri richard is a top five defensive forward ever

the first two hughes boys have been extremely impressive so far but man…
I agree that the Richards are the ones to beat. Staals, Sutters, Statsnys were all very impressive but none as good as the Richards.
If J Hughes has a Crosby-like career and Q Hughes continues his pace they will definitely be the same conversation as the Richards. If L Hughes has a serious career…

It will be a fun debate.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If he can have a couple of 4p nights to finish the season, and get within 10-15 of EK... precedent has been set, even though a couple shady voters screwed Josi last season.

Should be ahead of guys like Fox/Makar etc.
Tall order. How many 4 point nights does he even have in his career?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just about everybody around Hughes, including Hughes himself, figures he has more to give as he continues to mature. Hard to fathom that he could be even better in the seasons ahead, but he seems convinced.

So if he doesn't win the Norris this season, it's bound to happen as he moves into his mid-20's.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Hughes being bad defensively hasn't really been a thing since the 2021 season. He's improved tremendously in that regard since.
Perceptions are hard to change. It took people how many years to realize Horvat isn't going to be a Bergeron-like player? Some still think he is a shutdown player. Most people don't have time to watch every game for every team, so it takes a long time for them to adjust their opinions. Reporters are the same, that is why trophy/award voting can sometimes look weird.

I think the important thing is that we, Nucks fans, know and recognize how good Hughes is. The awards and recognitions are nice, but we don't need it to validate how much Quinn has improved.

Nah, no set of brothers are going to be better than Wayne and Brent Gretzky, ever!

For a set of 3-brothers, the Statsnys are also really good. I wonder if the Hughes could reach that level as a whole. I don't know if any of them individually could best Peter Statsny, but as a group the Hughes has a chance. I'm sure the Hughes will end up being better than the Staals.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Perceptions are hard to change. It took people how many years to realize Horvat isn't going to be a Bergeron-like player? Some still think he is a shutdown player. Most people don't have time to watch every game for every team, so it takes a long time for them to adjust their opinions. Reporters are the same, that is why trophy/award voting can sometimes look weird.

I think the important thing is that we, Nucks fans, know and recognize how good Hughes is. The awards and recognitions are nice, but we don't need it to validate how much Quinn has improved.

Nah, no set of brothers are going to be better than Wayne and Brent Gretzky, ever!

For a set of 3-brothers, the Statsnys are also really good. I wonder if the Hughes could reach that level as a whole. I don't know if any of them individually could best Peter Statsny, but as a group the Hughes has a chance. I'm sure the Hughes will end up being better than the Staals.
Stastny was outstanding and will be difficult to beat. But Hughes has a 40+ goal season already under his belt as a 21 year old. It's hard to compare different eras. Stastny made his mark in the high scoring 80s. I still think the Richard brothers are the ones to beat. Rocket Richard was still a point per game and > 0.5g/gm player in his late 30s. Again, different era.
As I said in another post....it'll be a fun debate in about 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwichbird2023

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Tall order. How many 4 point nights does he even have in his career?

I was curious, so I looked. He has one 4 point game in his career so far, last season vs. Ottawa, 4 assists.

But he has 10+ 3 point games in his career over the years.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Is he better than Niedermayer? Jus thinkinging about smooth skating minute hungry defenseman that defend with their sticks and skating ability.

Niedermayer was a hell of a defenseman.

Reactions: lawrence

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
He’s better than Niedermayer was at any point in his 20s.
Can't believe how fun it is to watch him. He's arguably better than Pettersen these last few weeks. And Pettersen had a 14 game scoring streak.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He’s better than Niedermayer was at any point in his 20s.

he’s not as good as 2003 playoffs niedermayer by a longshot. that was the best nieds ever played and he was at the very end of his twenties during that conn smythe-worthy run.

Is he better than Niedermayer? Jus thinkinging about smooth skating minute hungry defenseman that defend with their sticks and skating ability.

Niedermayer was a hell of a defenseman.

offensively, he is already clearly better than niedermayer ever was, full stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad