Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I catch myself pumping the brakes on Hughes lately, the competition is legit very soft, so I am looking forward to seeing his play over the first half next year, hopefully with another legit top 4 in Hronek spelling him to get him down to 23-24 minute usage, can giving him a more even playing field when comparing with the other young D.

This year is a mess, Demko losing his mojo early on, a messy coaching change and the discrepancy in quality of competition recently makes it really hard to evaluate just exactly how Quinn stacks up. Currently, he is exceeding what I imagine his peak to be at 23. He definitely has shown a higher ceiling than Housley, I want to see if he can reach Leetch level in wildly elite offense plus good defense. Its so fantastic that these 5 guys, Makar/Fox/Heiskanen/Hughes/Dahlin all came at roughly the same time. All bringing varying ratio of offense vs defense.
I also find it hard to evaluate Canucks players right now simply because it's garbage time. The games don't mean anything. We've seen this story before. Everyone becomes a garbage time hero. Contending teams show up to face the Canucks with their B or C effort.

Not that I don't legitimately think Quinn is fantastic. But I don't know how much stock to put in this new level of play. We'll need to see it next season, from the beginning.

Reactions: mathonwy

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I also find it hard to evaluate Canucks players right now simply because it's garbage time. The games don't mean anything. We've seen this story before. Everyone becomes a garbage time hero. Contending teams show up to face the Canucks with their B or C effort.

Not that I don't legitimately think Quinn is fantastic. But I don't know how much stock to put in this new level of play. We'll need to see it next season, from the beginning.
He was so terrible for those first few games but I think he was injured from training camp or that high stick in the first game. Otherwise he’s been great for two seasons straight regardless of his teammates’ performances.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Gonchar speaking absolute facts

talking about how it seemed like a system being taught previously was engage once the team entered the zone.
Green was the WORST for that sh*t
essentially saying what's stopping you from defending in the neutral zone and slowing them down and forcing off-sides.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Gonchar speaking absolute facts

talking about how it seemed like a system being taught previously was engage once the team entered the zone.
Green was the WORST for that sh*t
essentially saying what's stopping you from defending in the neutral zone and slowing them down and forcing off-sides.
Did Gonchar do an interview?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Yep..there’s no rush..maybe in a year or so.
I think in certain situations it works really well, and I think this could be one, I don’t mind it long term if it created a winning culture I would keep it.

The first I heard of two captains is when my super rugby team did it, I thought it was the dumbest thing, and was as opinionated as always. Then they won that championship that year and the next, so I think team culture is something that fans don’t always understand because it’s somewhat unique to each group.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think in certain situations it works really well, and I think this could be one, I don’t mind it long term if it created a winning culture I would keep it.

The first I heard of two captains is when my super rugby team did it, I thought it was the dumbest thing, and was as opinionated as always. Then they won that championship that year and the next, so I think team culture is something that fans don’t always understand because it’s somewhat unique to each group.
I guess we'll see where it goes..I dont have a problem with captain by committee..Awarding a player the captaincy just because he is your best player is absurd imo.

Past Canuck captains Luongo and Naslund never looked comfortable with the prying media looking for answers...EP also bristles at certain questions.

Hughes ticks all the boxes to be a captain, if they ever go down that road..He's obviously comfortable talking to the media (thanks to his parents, who have schooled him and his brothers ) and leads by example on the ice.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think Hughes has the most most pure skill on the Canucks since Pavel Bure.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
heiskanen? theodore? dunn? mcavoy? slavin? sergachev?

on the older side josi, karlsson, doughty and spurgeon are all better

hughes is really good but he's a long way from the top imo. his size and lack of a shot really hold him back
Reading this post leaves me feeling...

...incredulous

1679610131336.png

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
This kid isn't getting over $7M, I don't care how many years. Drew Doughty signed for $7 million before he won 2 Stanley Cups and 2014 Gold Medal. I mean, Doughty already played on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team when he signed the $7M.

Hughes will never be a Doughty or a Makar. I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone actually ends up being a better player because Jack is less soft and weaker than Quinn.

Make this kid earn his money, he's out there padding his stats on #1PP. I rather see Rathbone on #1 PP and hopefully we find a #1 defenceman that can play good defence in Hughes.

Less twirling and more checking.
Lol nice

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
These dudes on the main board that obviously don’t watch Quinn player are so f***ing annoying lol

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
unreal. he just caught jovo for pts by a canuck dman in two fewer seasons, literally 160 less games. remember that jovo has by far the best career norris voting record of any canuck.

he’s two pts from salo and should catch bieksa for #6 before the year is up.

02F3D588-D7F9-4586-B29E-6EEE899C4F1C.png

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
unreal. he just caught jovo for pts by a canuck dman in two fewer seasons, literally 160 less games. remember that jovo has by far the best career norris voting record of any canuck.

View attachment 676719
He'd easily be #1 on this list before his next contract (potentially #2 by end of the next season).

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

View attachment 676719
Hell, bigger for me is that he's gonna pass Salo in less than half as many games. Jesus.

Reactions: Coffees

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
for the next generation of defensemen, I would switch Dahlin with Heiskanen, short term, I need to see a full dominant season from him before I say he is better than Hughes. Dahlin has been back to his old self the last month plus. Heiskanen is solid every shift and dominant in many.

after blocking one of the Avs fans thats obssessed with Hughes, I cant see half the posts regarding him in the main threads. now theres that Habs fan left, once Im sure hes a child, I'll block him too.
Heiskanen is overrated as hell and not on the level of the other guys.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
i'm not saying hughes is worse than all of those players. just that there's arguments for all of them. if you ask carolina fans if they'd trade slavin for hughes or tampa fans if they'd trade sergachev for hughes they'd all be hell no

again i think hughes is really good. he's not in the conversation for best in the league right now though
Those fans are dumb then.

There is no argument for taking either of those guys over Hughes. None.

He's having a phenomenal season. But Quinn isn't in the Makar, Fox, Heiskanen, and McAvoy (and previously Hedman) tier because he doesn't bring the elite defending the others do as well.
I feel like this is the ultimate "I don't really think about hockey" take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad