Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Well, might not even try to compare them then. Just give Quinn the Norris now because he's valiantly leading the Canucks to a tremendous 10th place finish.

Like lol, let's get real man. We know Quinn is not on an elite team. Nobody is holding that against him. I'm not looking at his raw goals against totals to evaluate his defense, because DUH we know the Canucks are not a great team.

His chance prevention relative to team (not raw numbers) is mid-pack among Fox, Makar, McAvoy, and Heiskanen. This is really, really good. Something like Evolving Hockey's RAPM - which tries to control for teammates and usage - also rates him mid-pack defensively among the NHL's elite. Again, very, very good.

I only downgrade him defensively next to the rest of those names because he doesn't have the track record of defending at that level that the others have.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here, other than "I hate Drance".

I don't think Drance asked the question. And if you asked Drance, he doesn't think Quinn is a liability. Far from it.
People constantly hold it against him. Constantly. They post absolutely nonsense takes driven by advanced stats that pretty much suck.

Drance is a whiny asshole and I'm sick of him too.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Those fans are dumb then.

There is no argument for taking either of those guys over Hughes. None.

I feel like this is the ultimate "I don't really think about hockey" take.
You’re right. Hughes should win the Norris this year and every year after. No one is close. It’ll be renamed the Hughes trophy. We bow down to your superior hockey intellect.

Like, get real. You’ve demonstrated you know absolutely nothing about the NHL.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
You’re right. Hughes should win the Norris this year and every year after. No one is close. It’ll be renamed the Hughes trophy. We bow down to your superior hockey intellect.

Like, get real. You’ve demonstrated you know absolutely nothing about the NHL.
Okay make an argument for f***ing Sergachev over hughes.

Only the most delusional of TBL homers would make that argument and they would be wrong.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
People constantly hold it against him. Constantly. They post absolutely nonsense takes driven by advanced stats that pretty much suck.

Drance is a whiny asshole and I'm sick of him too.
Lol. Saying he’s not as good as Fox is not “holding it against him” or “nonsense analytics”. It’s a reasonable opinion.
Okay make an argument for f***ing Sergachev over hughes.

Only the most delusional of TBL homers would make that argument and they would be wrong.
Please show me where I said there is a credible argument to consider Sergachev as better than Hughes. I’ll wait.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
JZ1JaVt.jpg

I could stare at it all day.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
last year Makar won the norris even though he had 10 less points than Josi.

Wonder how many votes he will get if he closes the gap in points.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Is it technique or is it strength?

Makar uses 95 flex stick while being 1 inch taller than Hughes.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Since February 7, 2023 these are the top 5 players in the league for icetime.

1680081484030.png

Over that same period here are the top 5 point scoring defencemen.

View attachment 677928

I don't have a point to make, I just think it's pretty cool to see a Canuck player at the top of the league even if the date range is cherry picked.

Attachments

• 1680077306344.png
    1680077306344.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Imagine this guy with McDrai.

Come on oilers, trade you next 2 years worth of draft picks for Quinn Hughes.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
What an unbelievable player. Hughes skating and edge work makes him such a great player to watch. He constantly has a puck on a string and controls the play at will. It really is unfair to be able to skate as well as Hughes. With Hughes focusing more on the defensive side of the game, it has made Hughes into a legitimate superstar, and no longer a player who the whole NHL fanbase can choose to ignore. Quinn is unbelievable and we haven't even seen the best of him yet, which is scary.

Easily the best defenseman is franchise history.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Quinn Hughes has an exceptionally team friendly contract at this point. A Top 10 player in the league locked up through nearly his entire prime at nowhere near Top 10 player money. One of Benning's few bright moves.

The surplus value he brings over the length of this contract is going to be extremely high.

His current box-score stats under this deal:

146 games played, 140 points, +28

And per the eye test and intangibles: absolutely dominant when on the ice, especially in the last few months.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There is a select few players that dont get shit on nearly as much as hughes for their defensive play

Morrissey is one of them
Morgan Reilly is who people think quinn hughes is defensively

Reactions: bh53

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Although it seems like Karlsson winning Norris is a foregone conclusion, just for sheer points, the gap to Hughes, etc. But it's hard not to notice the -17 for Karlsson and the +18 for Hughes.

Regardless you gotta think he'll get a nomination.

To be fair to Karlsson he is playing top minutes for a team that has a almost a -70 goal differential. Another thing in Karlsson's favor is he has 30 points more than anyone on his team.

Hughes +18 is even more impressive when you consider how bad are goaltending has been this year though.

There is a select few players that dont get shit on nearly as much as hughes for their defensive play

Morrissey is one of them

Hughes being bad defensively hasn't really been a thing since the 2021 season. He's improved tremendously in that regard since.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

Morrissey is one of them
I was watching his draft video and they were saying even then that Hughes just defends different. His strengths are not at all the traditional strengths for a dman.

I think his style just harder to learn at the NHL level because guys are bigger and faster.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If he can have a couple of 4p nights to finish the season, and get within 10-15 of EK... precedent has been set, even though a couple shady voters screwed Josi last season.

Should be ahead of guys like Fox/Makar etc.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have had some elite players over the years, but I don't think I can remember a guy like Hughes who basically controls the play every minute he's out there.

I suppose you can't blame Tocchet for playing him 25-30 minutes a night. The rink just tilts in the other direction every time Hughes steps on the ice.

Over the years Canuck fans have bemoaned the lack of a legit super-star d-man, who was a candidate to win the Norris year in and year out. But after more than half a century of existence, the Canucks have finally found one.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He deserves a nomination imo. If he finishes below the Top 5 I'd be pissed

You got legacy players that I think will finish higher

Hedman has been garbage this year, Tampa fans will tell you and every underlying number has tanked.

But he’ll finish higher than Hughes because they are a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad