GDT: QF - SWE vs. FIN May 23, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
This is the least interested I've ever seen the Finnish public be in the international hockey team. Zero talent whatsoever in that team, the only half-decent player had fouled himself out in the previous game, we were only in the qualifiers because Austria somehow managed to lose to Great Britain.

I was fully expecting Finland to get trashed 5-1 or something. The fact that they hung in there until OT and lost because of a soft call is very surprising.
You are suprised Jalonen took another no talent finnish team farther in a tourney than they had any right to be? Really?

Reactions: EK47 and FinPanda

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Lame call. An NHL stacked star team had to win this one for obvious reasons and the refs took care of that.

No, I am not a sore loser. Just pissed off about the loss reminding of the ”good ol’ times” lol.

Congrats to Tre Kronor - maybe you were this tiny little much better in this particular match - which is not much indeed. Respect and congrats to Lions of Heart - and Euro hockey also. Great battle of will. As you only should expect from a bunch of bona fide LIONS.

And no, I am not applying for Sverige’s citizenship but Norge’s I might. It’s been close a couple of times. Let’s see what the future will bring to us. Wink wink.
"I'm not a sore loser BUT WE LOST BECAUSE OF A LAME CALL!"

"Congratulations to Tre Kronor BUT THE REF HELPED YOU WIN BECAUSE YOU GOT A NHL STACKED STAR TEAM!"

"Ah let's see what the future will bring to us wink wink BUT IM NOT MOVING TO SWEDEN BUT MIGHT MOVE TO NORWAY".

Ok, you are not a sore loser, sure.

Anything else you want to talk about? Like how shit your team is? :lol:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Puustinen is the weirdest Jalonen choice ever. Usually his NHL/AHL guys are clearly better than their European counterparts, but Puustinen was a gamble that did not play out. Several of the usual suspects who were a bit off in the EHT would surely have done better.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Soft call. Just stop it. :lol:

We don't appreciate this Finnish team at all. It is a boring team with a pathetic ambition to defend and destroy any trace of entertainment.

Finland looked like a bunch of losers. Not even trying to play hockey. It was embarrassing. Finns are weird for not recognizing how shit and boring this team is.

If your team is shit fine, but play hockey.
That is your opinion, but I know you're probably not the only one who thinks that but there is other who may see it differently. In the end, Sweden made it now to the semis 2nd time since 2018 and we have won couple gold medals in that time.

Bad winners are as bad as bad losers.

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
You are suprised Jalonen took another no talent finnish team farther in a tourney than they had any right to be? Really?

The previous Jalonen teams were built intelligently with a solid mix of veterans, prospects, role players, locker room leaders, who had also played under Jalonen for ages. This team to me just looked like crap from top to bottom apart from a few exceptions (and the one rare exception didn't even play vs Sweden).

Previously, Jalonen's teams also qualified on their own merits, winning key games . This time it was just pure luck. If not for Austria choking against GB, Finland would've been out. They hadn't really shown themselves capable of beating any team with a pulse.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Don't judge us Finnish fans on these posters who only show up in GDT. Just add some to your ignore lists.
Don’t need to if you have enough discipline not to respond to them :)

Surprised some are still so salty despite Finlands success in the resent years. Though many of the posters who were insufferable 5-10 years ago have become far more nuanced. We’re an old bunch:)
Dahlin was more than fine defensively. Hedman however seemed unfocused.
Hedman isn’t all there defensively on big ice. Still his offensive IQ is next level though.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Really impressed with the finnish team - that's what I mostly take with me from this match. What an effort - Sisu etc.

And Jalonen is a genious, why haven't NHL stolen him - I don't get that. What a track record.

Sweden got nervous and should be able to do better but of course they got nervous and it was hard to finish ...

Before the tournament I thought USA and Sweden easily were the strongest teams on paper, but now when Czechs got Necas, Pastrnak etc I think they might be the favourite on home ice.
I belive Jalonens system will force NHL to move the blulines to just 1,5m from goal😁

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
That is your opinion, but I know you're probably not the only one who thinks that but there is other who may see it differently. In the end, Sweden made it now to the sxemis 2nd time since 2018 and we have one couple gold medals in that time.

Bad winners are as bad as bad losers.
Lmao if Sweden played like this I would be raging.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
It means life and death. It is the most important tournament since 1998. And is the ultimate middle finger to the Stalin wannabe in Moscow who loves hockey, the world moves on without you.
Joke tournament for nhl who can’t start their season earlier or pause their season so players can participate in world tournaments.

HBAASM

Dec 10, 2023
Soft call. Just stop it. :lol:

We don't appreciate this Finnish team at all. It is a boring team with a pathetic ambition to defend and destroy any trace of entertainment.

Finland looked like a bunch of losers. Not even trying to play hockey. It was embarrassing. Finns are weird for not recognizing how shit and boring this team is.

If your team is shit fine, but play hockey.

You can't go to a scoring competition against NHL superstars with a team full of Liiga players. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Congratulations for making the semifinal stage for the first time in what feels like decades!

Reactions: FinPanda

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
His defensive approach seemed to be to stand around watching, if he used his reach as say a tired Chara.. It could work. But nope.
Completely incomprehensible. Karlsson and Dahlin came as advertised though. Well after watching Ekholm step in mid tournament and be the calming factor for sweden Hedman was supposed to be I guess I’m not surprised.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
You, Slimmy and EK are one of the better Swedish posters here. I am sure there is others too but I can't remember who is actually Finnish and who is Swedish.

Good luck in the semis. :)

Thanks!

Yeah there is lots of Good guys from ur side also!

And like i said it doesnt matter what team u guys bring and we bring 99,9% of the Times its hard fought games! And when Sweden is out im allways cheering for Finland!!!

Reactions: FinPanda

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
These threads never change. There are both sore losers and bad winners, rubbing it in. While both sides should just can it, there is no question which side is making a bigger embarrassment out of themselves.

Good luck going forward, Sweden.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Don’t need to if you have enough discipline not to respond to them :)

Surprised some are still so salty despite Finlands success in the resent years. Though many of the posters who were insufferable 5-10 years ago have become far more nuanced. We’re an old bunch:)

Hedman isn’t all there defensively on big ice. Still his offensive IQ is next level though.
Hedman plays fast and hard. His IQ is literally pass and shoot the puck harder than anyone else. It wouldn't be the same if a small guy like Raymond for instance played like this. You need to be a lot bigger and stronger than everyone else for it to work.

Dahlin is irrational in his game in a whole other way. But the two compliment each other perfectly. One fast, hard and direct and one being creative. Dahlin have a bit of Karlsson and a bit of Hedman in him.

The hardest thing to accept with this Sweden team is its poor forward line. To see a slow player like Raymond play power play with Hedman and Dahlin is well not the most aesthetic. But Raymond managed ok, some players like Grundström is so out of his league it's frustrating to see him waste ice time of players like Erik Karlsson.

If we had maybe just 2-3 better forwards our game would be on a whole other level.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Very strong game from a Finnish team that almost exclusively consists of players in European leagues vs Swedish NHL superstars + a bit of refereeing luck. Oh and that’s without Granlund. What if there had even been an Aho and TT there??? I really hope that more NHL players will commit to Finland in the future. It's time for the Finnish NHL millionaires to get off their butts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad