GDT: QF - SWE vs. FIN May 23, 2024

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Sure. Why would you want to watch the world's greatest players in a true tournament? Let's play political games instead.
Because there are more important things in life than hockey? Also I'm pretty sure Sweden and Finland wouldn't participate in this tourney if the big bullies to the east were involved.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
How come some many of Finlands player, even Euros refuse call ups? Didn't they enjoy playing Jalonens defensive style or is there something else? Will we see stronger squads under a different coach?

Euro players dont have motivation anymore. Regarding the nhl players, I think that the main goal for a finnish nhl player is to lose the Stanley Cup -final. Everything else is meaningless.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Because there are more important things in life than hockey? Also I'm pretty sure Sweden and Finland wouldn't participate in this tourney if the big bullies to the east were involved.

That would be on them. But the IIHF's selective outrage when it comes to which nations are in and which are out seems fairly hypocritical.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But the IIHF's selective outrage when it comes to which nations are in and which are out seems fairly hypocritical.
It's not just the IIHF. It's also the FIFA, FIBA, FIVB, etc, etc... In fact, most of the sporting world is caught up in this "selective outrage".

Reactions: Macbanan and Hntz

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
That would be on them. But the IIHF's selective outrage when it comes to which nations are in and which are out seems fairly hypocritical.
It's pretty much the whole world, not just the IIHF. But keep yelling at clouds my dude.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah Helenius was already behind in the situation and there was minor contact. Quite easy call even if the contact wasn´t huge.

But hard to blame the kid. Had very decent game. Few unnecessary puck losses if offensive zone and faceoff % of 22 lowers it from good to decent game.
Here's still a caption of the hooking for anyone in doubt:

hooking.jpg

Helenius should have let go earlier and maybe it wouldn't have been called.

Reactions: Sher-Wood

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
But in scoring chances Sweden were best. Horrible defense by Hedman and Karlsson. Very surprised if Hedman makes Team Sweden in 4NT.
Wasn't going to quote this or any post, just post in the thread but somehow that's not possible.

Anyways, better team won so congrats Sweden. That OT penalty was extremely weak and shouldn't have happened. Some really weak ones also before that. However, in the end the correct team advances so no cosmic injustice happened.

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Sure. Why would you want to watch the world's greatest players in a true tournament? Let's play political games instead.

And I'm sure charge astronomical prices as if the tournament was actually anything more than a Bettman money grab.
I get what you're saying but pretending like every things fine isnt the right call. Europe is at war. The situation is really serious.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
NHL stars vs nobodies.
It was a miracle it went to OT.
Finland got screwed by having Helenius. Maybe they thought as Canada has Bedard they need their "bedard" too.

Finland needs its best players.
For example. Filppula and Manninen etc. are enjoying Geneve money in Switzerland and banging their playboy wives. Instead of blocking shots with their face in Skoda cup for Finland.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadaIsIrrelevant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad