Post-Game Talk: PS2 - Washington ( Hershey ) 2 @ BRUINS ( Providence ) 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Was half watching but I liked what I saw from Lysell, Brazeau, and to a lesser extent Merk.
Poitras looked every bit of an NHLer. Real impressive.
I hope they do what they did with Poitras last year with Lysell/Merk and put them in almost every preseason game

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like all the reviews. I think we're remiss for not mentioning Tyler Johnson though. He did a lot of those subtle, smart veteran things that facilitated offense.

I don't really want to see him take a roster spot but there is no denying he had a solid game and was on a different level than many that were out there for both teams. He also appears to be a good bench/room guy which never hurts. He was talking a lot with Merk this game which has to be helpful.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
It appears Merkulov heated up in the second half of the game. He made a few ill-advised plays, especially on the PP, but looked like he settled in later. Hope he gets another look - and if he does, he carries over the momentum. Same for Lysell. If he can build off of last night...that bodes well for all.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Should Marchand and Lindholm require some healing time we could see Potsie, Lysell, and Merks playing start of season. Love that so many players are making the decisions difficult for the bruins.
If they start the season without Swayman, Lindholm and Marchand, better hope Korpisalo is lights out, because that will be the weakest top 6 to start the season since the DNQ season of 2005-06.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If they start the season without Swayman, Lindholm and Marchand, better hope Korpisalo is lights out, because that will be the weakest top 6 to start the season since the DNQ season of 2005-06.

Bruins were picked to miss the playoffs when they started 2022 without Marchand, McAvoy and Gyz.

They set the league on fire with the hottest start imaginable.

Granted that was with Swayman and Ullmark.

I have more or less learned never to count this team out. And the opportunity for Lysell and Merkulov would be amazing.

Zacha Coyle Pastrnak
Freddy Geekie Lysell
Merkulov Poitras Brazeau
Jones Beecher Kastelic

It's not great - but there is still a combo of size, speed, skill.

I have tix to BOS FLA on 10/14. Needless to say, I am hoping for a better lineup than this. :)

Reactions: PB37

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
My two cents:

Merk has NHL vision and the tools, needs more cooking to be a middle 6.
Lysell needs to play with NHL talent, lets see what he can do.

Problem here is that there is limited spots in a healthy lineup and both players have pretty much done what they can in the AHL. They need NHL dev time and the only way they will see that seems to be injuries.

Poitras and Brazeau look like NHL players and should be penciled in. Let the injured sit as long as possible and give the kids a cup of coffee, lets see how they respond.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My two cents:

Problem here is that there is limited spots in a healthy lineup and both players have pretty much done what they can in the AHL. They need NHL dev time and the only way they will see that seems to be injuries.

Poitras and Brazeau look like NHL players and should be penciled in. Let the injured sit as long as possible and give the kids a cup of coffee, lets see how they respond.

I liked Merk's game last night, and thought he was one of the better Bs in the first one (though not great). I am having a hard time seeing where he fits long-term, though. Barring a severe injury or someone's game going off a cliff, that is. Brick commented last night that Merk was not a guy you play in your bottom 6 if he is going to be a lineup regular, and he is center, not a wing and untested there at the pro level. I don't believe he played any wing in College either, but someone else might know differently on that one. Coyle and Lindholm are in for the next few seasons, Poitras is seeming like a keeper, so I am not sure what becomes of Merk.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just a few years ago Zboril looked like a complete stud against the level of competition that is there the first few games of the pre season. To me it’s more about if guys don’t look good than if they do right now. If they do look good they can face the next challenge. But I said a lot of stupid things about Zboril a few years ago after the first few games, so trying to keep a lid on it right now, lol.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Is anybody else frustrated with the new play-by-play guy? It's early days, and lots of new faces on both teams, but it would have been nice if he had more consistently identified players on both teams making plays, rather than just saying things like "Boston breaks up the play" or "the Bruins keep it in" or the like. WHO did that? WHO coughed up the puck? It was Tom Caron-level mediocre to bad. And maybe a few more insights during delays in the action into who some of these newcomers are, like, did they play a bit last season with the Calgary Flames, or were they a former third-round pick of the Canucks, etc. Jack had to retire, I understand, but he was so good at play-by-play when he wasn't blabbing away about how wonderful some player in another team was that maybe I got spoiled. Again, it's early days and I may change my views in time.

Reactions: BMC and JoeIsAStud

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Just a few years ago Zboril looked like a complete stud against the level of competition that is there the first few games of the pre season. To me it’s more about if guys don’t look good than if they do right now. If they do look good they can face the next challenge. But I said a lot of stupid things about Zboril a few years ago after the first few games, so trying to keep a lid on it right now, lol.

Same.

I also fell for the " wow, his preseason looks so good " trap with Matt Bartkowski after he lead the team in preseason points one year.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
There's no way Matt Poitras gets sent down. No way. I was a little concerned that he might have slowed down with the extra muscle he's put on but nope. #51 is here to stay.

Great to see Justin Brazeau continue to build on last season's success. Still not the fastest guy out there but he more than makes up for it with his IQ, soft hands and drive to the net.

Korpisalo did well in his debut, I think Goalie Bob is working his magic once again.
He’s a sorcerer

Korpi mask alone probably cost 3 M

Carlo & Lindholm already seem to be on same page

Gotta think that’s up there with top second pairing D’s in league

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like all the reviews. I think we're remiss for not mentioning Tyler Johnson though. He did a lot of those subtle, smart veteran things that facilitated offense.
He was good. He screened the goalie on the lysell goal. I’m interested. I think he has a shot to make the team.
He’s a sorcerer

Korpi mask alone probably cost 3 M

Carlo & Lindholm already seem to be on same page

Gotta think that’s up there with top second pairing D’s in league
im bias but i think the bruins have the one of the best 7 defenders in the league. Carlo lindholm is probably the best second pairing. They are top pairing guys on most teams.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
tufte is the guy who really has impressed me through 2 games, I don't see any way you risk losing this player
I was flipping through the stations and heard someone talking about him as I listened for a moment. Have no idea who it was talking, but he was saying he thinks Tufte makes the team if he keeps this up.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My two cents:

I want Merk in Providence to start the year and stapled to LW. I don't think there is any chance he makes it in the NHL as a center. He has some tools, but his C game will just never get there . give him a solid run as a winger, and if he shows he can handle the position give him a look if Marchy needs some time off . I just feel like they have mishandled his career letting him play a position he won't play in the NHL, and yes i know at the AHL level he has been better at C than W, but it's not enough

I was flipping through the stations and heard someone talking about him as I listened for a moment. Have no idea who it was talking, but he was saying he thinks Tufte makes the team if he keeps this up.

Yeah right now Tufte should be the 13th forward, assuming he doesn't win a lineup spot

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I want Merk in Providence to start the year and stapled to LW. I don't think there is any chance he makes it in the NHL as a center. He has some tools, but his C game will just never get there . give him a solid run as a winger, and if he shows he can handle the position give him a look if Marchy needs some time off . I just feel like they have mishandled his career letting him play a position he won't play in the NHL, and yes i know at the AHL level he has been better at C than W, but it's not enough

Hard agree. He needs to go learn wing

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Is anybody else frustrated with the new play-by-play guy? It's early days, and lots of new faces on both teams, but it would have been nice if he had more consistently identified players on both teams making plays, rather than just saying things like "Boston breaks up the play" or "the Bruins keep it in" or the like. WHO did that? WHO coughed up the puck? It was Tom Caron-level mediocre to bad. And maybe a few more insights during delays in the action into who some of these newcomers are, like, did they play a bit last season with the Calgary Flames, or were they a former third-round pick of the Canucks, etc. Jack had to retire, I understand, but he was so good at play-by-play when he wasn't blabbing away about how wonderful some player in another team was that maybe I got spoiled. Again, it's early days and I may change my views in time.

One of things I loved about Jack was he called the other team's players by name & pronounced their names correctly, rather than just saying "shot by team x, turned aside by Rask".

I know it's early but Sirrott does nothing for me. He's too custardy bland. Give me Jack's knowledge, passion for the game and the Bruins & occasional goofiness.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Same.

I also fell for the " wow, his preseason looks so good " trap with Matt Bartkowski after he lead the team in preseason points one year.

It all comes down to consistency. Any gifted player can make an impact on any given day. The question is whether they can be effective and make the quiet, smart plays on a daily basis.

Petr Kalus, Brandon Bochenksi, Anton Bjork, and many others looked like they would long careers as top 9 forwards for Boston at one point.

Lysell is more dynamic than any of them...but the question remains whether he can keep the compete level and focus where it needs to be. Fingers crossed.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Poitras - Early signs are super encouraging. Had a better overall game than the other young guys, battling, controlling the puck and making smart NHL plays. I don't think he plays a game in the AHL. I also think the B's slot him at center.

Lysell - Had a great game. Won more battles, had the puck. Showed high end skill. Lysell has a better chance than Merk because he has at least one critical NHL trait in spades, which is his speed and explosiveness.

Merkulov - Had a nice game and showed some neat skill, but I am struggling to see an NHL player. He is undersized and I think slightly below average speed for an NHL forward. This is sort of Seth Griffith territory to me. Looks like a classic AHL all-star out there. Really hard to envision this player facing off against the Panthers in May.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Poitras - Early signs are super encouraging. Had a better overall game than the other young guys, battling, controlling the puck and making smart NHL plays. I don't think he plays a game in the AHL. I also think the B's slot him at center.

Lysell - Had a great game. Won more battles, had the puck. Showed high end skill. Lysell has a better chance than Merk because he has at least one critical NHL trait in spades, which is his speed and explosiveness.

Merkulov - Had a nice game and showed some neat skill, but I am struggling to see an NHL player. He is undersized and I think slightly below average speed for an NHL forward. This is sort of Seth Griffith territory to me. Looks like a classic AHL all-star out there. Really hard to envision this player facing off against the Panthers in May.

I can only see Merkulov as a third line scoring winger. But he needs to win enough board battles to be in that role.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I watched most of the game last night.
Caps had 3 forwards that will make their NHL team playing and one dee, we had 5 NHL forwards ( I put Johnson in this group) and two dee.
Based on the competition I would have liked to see more from the rookies ( Lysell / Merk) that are trying the make the team.
There should have been many shifts that they dominated.
I thought Johnson had a really good game and made some nice passes, was always in the right spot.
HL played great as well, was nice to see him skating the way he was when we acquired him 2 years ago. I think he will have a great season for us.
Bruins should cut down there roster soon , so the kids pushing for a spot can get a better look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad