Post-Game Talk: PS2 - Washington ( Hershey ) 2 @ BRUINS ( Providence ) 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Was half watching but I liked what I saw from Lysell, Brazeau, and to a lesser extent Merk.
Poitras looked every bit of an NHLer. Real impressive.
I hope they do what they did with Poitras last year with Lysell/Merk and put them in almost every preseason game

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like all the reviews. I think we're remiss for not mentioning Tyler Johnson though. He did a lot of those subtle, smart veteran things that facilitated offense.

I don't really want to see him take a roster spot but there is no denying he had a solid game and was on a different level than many that were out there for both teams. He also appears to be a good bench/room guy which never hurts. He was talking a lot with Merk this game which has to be helpful.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Should Marchand and Lindholm require some healing time we could see Potsie, Lysell, and Merks playing start of season. Love that so many players are making the decisions difficult for the bruins.
If they start the season without Swayman, Lindholm and Marchand, better hope Korpisalo is lights out, because that will be the weakest top 6 to start the season since the DNQ season of 2005-06.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If they start the season without Swayman, Lindholm and Marchand, better hope Korpisalo is lights out, because that will be the weakest top 6 to start the season since the DNQ season of 2005-06.

Bruins were picked to miss the playoffs when they started 2022 without Marchand, McAvoy and Gyz.

They set the league on fire with the hottest start imaginable.

Granted that was with Swayman and Ullmark.

I have more or less learned never to count this team out. And the opportunity for Lysell and Merkulov would be amazing.

Zacha Coyle Pastrnak
Freddy Geekie Lysell
Merkulov Poitras Brazeau
Jones Beecher Kastelic

It's not great - but there is still a combo of size, speed, skill.

I have tix to BOS FLA on 10/14. Needless to say, I am hoping for a better lineup than this. :)

Reactions: PB37

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
My two cents:

Merk has NHL vision and the tools, needs more cooking to be a middle 6.
Lysell needs to play with NHL talent, lets see what he can do.

Problem here is that there is limited spots in a healthy lineup and both players have pretty much done what they can in the AHL. They need NHL dev time and the only way they will see that seems to be injuries.

Poitras and Brazeau look like NHL players and should be penciled in. Let the injured sit as long as possible and give the kids a cup of coffee, lets see how they respond.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
My two cents:

Merk has NHL vision and the tools, needs more cooking to be a middle 6.
Lysell needs to play with NHL talent, lets see what he can do.

Problem here is that there is limited spots in a healthy lineup and both players have pretty much done what they can in the AHL. They need NHL dev time and the only way they will see that seems to be injuries.

Poitras and Brazeau look like NHL players and should be penciled in. Let the injured sit as long as possible and give the kids a cup of coffee, lets see how they respond.

I liked Merk's game last night, and thought he was one of the better Bs in the first one (though not great). I am having a hard time seeing where he fits long-term, though. Barring a severe injury or someone's game going off a cliff, that is. Brick commented last night that Merk was not a guy you play in your bottom 6 if he is going to be a lineup regular, and he is center, not a wing and untested there at the pro level. I don't believe he played any wing in College either, but someone else might know differently on that one. Coyle and Lindholm are in for the next few seasons, Poitras is seeming like a keeper, so I am not sure what becomes of Merk.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just a few years ago Zboril looked like a complete stud against the level of competition that is there the first few games of the pre season. To me it’s more about if guys don’t look good than if they do right now. If they do look good they can face the next challenge. But I said a lot of stupid things about Zboril a few years ago after the first few games, so trying to keep a lid on it right now, lol.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Is anybody else frustrated with the new play-by-play guy? It's early days, and lots of new faces on both teams, but it would have been nice if he had more consistently identified players on both teams making plays, rather than just saying things like "Boston breaks up the play" or "the Bruins keep it in" or the like. WHO did that? WHO coughed up the puck? It was Tom Caron-level mediocre to bad. And maybe a few more insights during delays in the action into who some of these newcomers are, like, did they play a bit last season with the Calgary Flames, or were they a former third-round pick of the Canucks, etc. Jack had to retire, I understand, but he was so good at play-by-play when he wasn't blabbing away about how wonderful some player in another team was that maybe I got spoiled. Again, it's early days and I may change my views in time.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Just a few years ago Zboril looked like a complete stud against the level of competition that is there the first few games of the pre season. To me it’s more about if guys don’t look good than if they do right now. If they do look good they can face the next challenge. But I said a lot of stupid things about Zboril a few years ago after the first few games, so trying to keep a lid on it right now, lol.

Same.

I also fell for the " wow, his preseason looks so good " trap with Matt Bartkowski after he lead the team in preseason points one year.

Reactions: wintersej

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Lysell has talent no doubt I think his issue is bringing it every game. Some guys like Marchand can bring it every night. Lets hope he learns from Marchy how to bring your A game every night

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
There's no way Matt Poitras gets sent down. No way. I was a little concerned that he might have slowed down with the extra muscle he's put on but nope. #51 is here to stay.

Great to see Justin Brazeau continue to build on last season's success. Still not the fastest guy out there but he more than makes up for it with his IQ, soft hands and drive to the net.

Korpisalo did well in his debut, I think Goalie Bob is working his magic once again.
He’s a sorcerer

Korpi mask alone probably cost 3 M

Carlo & Lindholm already seem to be on same page

Gotta think that’s up there with top second pairing D’s in league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad