Post-Game Talk: PS1 - BRUINS 3 NYR 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1695601031911.png

1695601069660.png

1695600868275.png

Froggy_Free_Beer-777.jpg

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Greer should have declined. Harpur likely had his name circled heading in as a spot picked opponent and waited for any chance at all to pick on Greer for an easy win.

Otherwise entertaining game. Very little physicality aside from the Greer hit. Bussi, incredible. Debrusk rightfully looked spectacular against AHLers.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I know Poitras can’t earn a full season in a single game. But I think he did a lot to earn that 9 game tryout tonight. If he keeps this defensive effort and stays dangerous I say they give him 9. They have every reason to give him the opportunity if he is able to play responsible hockey. He clearly has the vision. Like Lysell I worry a bit about his size, but it’s becoming more common to play at his size as we move to a faster paced game.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing him a year from now, bigger, stronger, faster. I’ve seen him making plays in training camp and development camp so that was kind of expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by his game off the puck. He was out there killing penalties, he was creating turnovers in the neutral zone with his stick, he’s very comfortable with contact…

I really hope he makes Team Canada, he showed tonight he’s more than just an offensive player.
poitras reminds me a little bit of jack studnicka when jack studnicka was playing his best hockey a few years ago.
around the puck, good stick, smart player. poitras seems to have more playmaking skill though.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
giphy.gif

You already know the drill!

Good win! Jake, Poitras, and JVR have great chemistry. Beecher really surprised me. Bust it down, Bussi! Great to watch.

Thanks for winning for my Louie. I miss him and watching the games with him. Watching the game today, despite being a preseason game, felt good.

Screenshot_20230922_180311_Gallery.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bussi and Poitras the standouts among the non-vets. Jake and Frederic good games as far as the vets go. I thought JVR did some good things and Zboril made some nice plays. Very enjoyable to see players we aren't used to watching. Bs have some good looking talent in the pipeline.
Just in

It was pretty fun for the first pre-season game.

Nobody looked terrible.

AJ Greer needs to spend time with Looch.

The Bs did very well in faceoffs!

Bussi was impressive.

Gahden was pretty full.

It was weird cheering for JVR.

It is one game with new lines. So far so good.

I am not seeing the demise of the Boston Bruins.

36-21 from the dot. Well done B's.
Makes Bergy proud!

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Beecher looks pretty solid in the face-off dot. I am not sure what his stats were, but I'd bet it's a pretty good percentage? Then you add this speed and size, maybe he makes the roster? Kid can kill penalties and win face-offs.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I watched what I could on my iPad mini at work . I really just wanted to see if everything would go well from a technical standpoint with Sportsnet plus . I know a lot of people have issues with Sportsnet but it has worked fine for me and it allows me to watch some hockey during downtime at work .

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I get your point. There’s very little fear factor. But I also know some see it differently…just answering the bell has always been viewed as a positive trait by most of the coaches I’ve ever known.

If nobody steps up, literally every opposing player takes liberties. There is still a deterrent factor with some players who don’t want to fight.
I understand and I give anyone who steps up credit, even if they have to fight and fight to a draw or even lose.

However, it does no good to have quote unquote tough guys who are not tough. I would prefer booming checks clean hard hits etc to fighting. That is a team wide thing. They all have to do that. There shouldn't be any sparrows in that lineup.

However, if you do fight, you'd better win, the way that Shawn Thornton won, even with his stature, he won most of his fights. The only fight I think I ever saw him lose very badly was to that John Scott dope. And by then, everybody sort of knew it was over for Shawn and the original core.

I give anyone credit for getting in there getting their nose dirty and fighting. But if you lose more than you win that's not helpful. Fighting is about intimidation as well as other things. But intimidation is the main point. If you lose however game you are it's not helpful.

Sorry for the poor grammar and run on sentences, using speech to text.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
- Poitras very impressive
- Lysell disappointing
- Beecher looked good, back to where he was last camp
- Callahan I thought was great defensively, just as he was majority of last year in Providence
- Bussi is NHL ready, shame he’ll be in Providence
- Hopefully Greer can take some fighting lessons from Looch cus he’s not very good at it lol

Everyone else was pretty much as expected.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Some first impressions:

Bruins awesome team effort. I really was impressed with the active sticks, everywhere. The bruins did great at disrupting passing lanes with active sticks in the D zone and really well in the neutral zone, really slowing down and disrupting the rangers breakouts.

bruins seemed to do real solid on faceoffs too.

Bussi looked unbelievable, was in the zone. Really nice to see.

Debrusk- super impressive game, showed great leadership

Poitras- amazing game, one of the best all around forwards tonight, not just showing his offensive game, but I really liked his play in all 3 zones and was impressed seeing him out there on the PK too. Gonna be hard sending him back to juniors if he keeps this play up.

Beecher looked great, showing his speed, played physical, engaged in all 3 zones, awesome on face offs, good PK, really impressed.

Solid efforts from JVR and Fredric

Richard- I really liked what I saw out of Richard, although he didn’t finish his chances, he was flying out there, impressed by his play in all 3 zones. I thought he played better and more noticeable than his vet competition in Greer, Geekie, Megna, Brown (Was he hurt, didn’t hear him much.

Harrison had a few decent moments but I didn’t notice him much, that Lysell megna Harrison line was just not working.

Love Lysell and excited to see what he can become but thought he had a rough game, some nice flashes and moments but as a whole his line just didn’t click. Hope he gets stronger, the skill set is there!

Most disappointing forward, Geekie I guess. Not a big knock after one game, he did make a lot of little great plays and he seems pretty reliable, just nothing about him really stood out. Just one game, at times he reminded me of Riley Nash.

I thought the D was gonna be worse but as a unit overall I thought they held up ok, Bussi did bail them out a lot but overall they held their own.

I really thought Callahan had himself an amazing game, I know his upside isn’t much but good on him for the solid effort. He had some really great simple plays, nothing flashy, just real solid effort.

I also really liked Regula, I was taken back at first with just how slow of a skater he is but he settled down as the game went on, and like Callahan , continued to make solid smart plays with the puck, some great clears, good positioning.

Walsh-had a couple adventures in his own zone, misplays with the puck but overall thought he played solid. He had some nice plays with the puck.

Zboril-I don’t know. I want him to take the next step but he looks the same every year. Makes a really good play, followed by just terrible turnovers. Think it’s all mental, his decision making with the puck is so so bad sometimes, he is good for a few bonehead turnovers a game. He needs to play more and get some confidence going but not sure it will ever piece together. I remember there were comparisons to Radko Gudas during his draft year, had a bit of nasty in him and would throw big hits, I just don’t see that at all in his game at this point. I may be misremembering things though, but I’d love it if he got more physical. The IQ with the puck in his own zone is a big problem that follows his play.

Wotherspoon- ehhh solid enough

Mitchell- I don’t know, not impressed with Mitchell in my first viewing. For some reason he gave me Matt Irwin vibes. I tried to focus on him at times and he did make some solid plays too so he wasn’t horrible or anything but I wasn’t very impressed.

To me Regula and Callahan were the most solid all around guys on D tonight. Nothing flashy but would shut down plays and move pucks out of zone. Good stuff.

Wooo so happy hockey is back! Awesome team effort!
Really great over-all analysis. I may add that Geekie really left me unimpressed, like wtf but because I couldn't really key on individual players I know that I could be way off.
Bussi had himself a Hell of a game, very impressive. Poitras also was extremely impressive and looked to be easily comfortable with how he played. They said on NESN that he "won 7 faceoffs" but was it 7 of 10, 14, 17? I just don't know. He is a smallish player but plays a heady, smart game that looks custom made for the NHL right now but again I'm no scout.
I had other thoughts on the game but now I'm fading (old age) so we'll see if I can stay awake long enough to elaborate.

I could only watch the highlights. All I will say is we have ourselves a serious goalie prospect. His movement was outstanding, and his technique was pretty good too.
His post game interview was (IMHO) so humble and endearing. Great guy!

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Beecher looks pretty solid in the face-off dot. I am not sure what his stats were, but I'd bet it's a pretty good percentage? Then you add this speed and size, maybe he makes the roster? Kid can kill penalties and win face-offs.
Beecher was 7/11 at 63.6% from the dot.
Poitras was 7/12 at 58.3% from the dot.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Bussi was outstanding. Makes me think if there's a possible Ullmark trade out there we should still consider it.
Poitras was really good. Excellent passer and great awareness. Beecher was also surprisingly good. Makes me think they should consider moving on to some of these young guys now rather than having a transition season with some of those vets and has beens they signed. Why not try starting the season with DeBrusk Poitras Marchand and seeing if it can work.
On the other hand, Zboril (and I know he didn't play the third) still makes so many errors I think I'm done with him. Hope the Bruins are too. The two guys from Chicago didn't really impress me either. Providence bound.
Geekie was underwhelming as well.

Now here's my question, if we send Bussi to Providence are we in danger of having him be claimed by another team or is he still waiver safe?

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Some first impressions:

Bruins awesome team effort. I really was impressed with the active sticks, everywhere. The bruins did great at disrupting passing lanes with active sticks in the D zone and really well in the neutral zone, really slowing down and disrupting the rangers breakouts.

bruins seemed to do real solid on faceoffs too.

Bussi looked unbelievable, was in the zone. Really nice to see.

Debrusk- super impressive game, showed great leadership

Poitras- amazing game, one of the best all around forwards tonight, not just showing his offensive game, but I really liked his play in all 3 zones and was impressed seeing him out there on the PK too. Gonna be hard sending him back to juniors if he keeps this play up.

Beecher looked great, showing his speed, played physical, engaged in all 3 zones, awesome on face offs, good PK, really impressed.

Solid efforts from JVR and Fredric

Richard- I really liked what I saw out of Richard, although he didn’t finish his chances, he was flying out there, impressed by his play in all 3 zones. I thought he played better and more noticeable than his vet competition in Greer, Geekie, Megna, Brown (Was he hurt, didn’t hear him much.

Harrison had a few decent moments but I didn’t notice him much, that Lysell megna Harrison line was just not working.

Love Lysell and excited to see what he can become but thought he had a rough game, some nice flashes and moments but as a whole his line just didn’t click. Hope he gets stronger, the skill set is there!

Most disappointing forward, Geekie I guess. Not a big knock after one game, he did make a lot of little great plays and he seems pretty reliable, just nothing about him really stood out. Just one game, at times he reminded me of Riley Nash.

I thought the D was gonna be worse but as a unit overall I thought they held up ok, Bussi did bail them out a lot but overall they held their own.

I really thought Callahan had himself an amazing game, I know his upside isn’t much but good on him for the solid effort. He had some really great simple plays, nothing flashy, just real solid effort.

I also really liked Regula, I was taken back at first with just how slow of a skater he is but he settled down as the game went on, and like Callahan , continued to make solid smart plays with the puck, some great clears, good positioning.

Walsh-had a couple adventures in his own zone, misplays with the puck but overall thought he played solid. He had some nice plays with the puck.

Zboril-I don’t know. I want him to take the next step but he looks the same every year. Makes a really good play, followed by just terrible turnovers. Think it’s all mental, his decision making with the puck is so so bad sometimes, he is good for a few bonehead turnovers a game. He needs to play more and get some confidence going but not sure it will ever piece together. I remember there were comparisons to Radko Gudas during his draft year, had a bit of nasty in him and would throw big hits, I just don’t see that at all in his game at this point. I may be misremembering things though, but I’d love it if he got more physical. The IQ with the puck in his own zone is a big problem that follows his play.

Wotherspoon- ehhh solid enough

Mitchell- I don’t know, not impressed with Mitchell in my first viewing. For some reason he gave me Matt Irwin vibes. I tried to focus on him at times and he did make some solid plays too so he wasn’t horrible or anything but I wasn’t very impressed.

To me Regula and Callahan were the most solid all around guys on D tonight. Nothing flashy but would shut down plays and move pucks out of zone. Good stuff.

Wooo so happy hockey is back! Awesome team effort!

Great summary. Only thing I would say is I have no issue with Geekie and to a lesser extent JVR not doing much here - those guys know they have spots and for them these games are about nothing more than warming up the legs. Evaluating their worth as players for the Bruins will come later.

It's all about the kids and I thought they were pretty much as you described.

Having now seen the jerseys on proper TV I can live with the gold, but it's still stripe overkill and the overall look does nothing for me. Don't outright hate it, just kind of 'meh'.

For the Rangers, if Quick wants to pin down the backup spot in net he's going to have to do much better than that. Early doors I know, but that was a poor showing from the vet. Bussi showed him how it's done.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Greer dumb to fight Harper/ you think Tkachuk or Clutterbuck or Dale Hunter drop them - that’s when you run your mouth and skate by and tell him your a 6’6 sloth / and they are cute, your a balding AHL f***ing hack

Lost is Greer great hit

I’m Monty I tell him F that - you don’t fight unless he spears you in the balls not for a clean hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad