Post-Game Talk: PS1 - BRUINS 3 NYR 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1695601031911.png

1695601069660.png

1695600868275.png

Froggy_Free_Beer-777.jpg

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Why do guys need to answer the bell for a pretty standard hit? The hit wasn't even close to being anything big. It's not like the guy got blown up and it was yard sale on the ice. The guy got up and skated to the bench.
Because he wanted to. I know you disagree. But evidently Greer feels there’s value in it. He didn’t step up in a pre season game because he likes taking a beating. Heh. The proof is in the pudding.

He feels it helps him to make the team. That’s simply the reality. Lots of money on the line. He certainly got noticed.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Greer made a solid check that led to the pointless fight. I want him hitting like that every game he suits up.

It wasn't Harpur that Greer crunched, you have said it several times it was Greer hitting Harpur. Harpur stood up for his D partner and you would be praising him if he was on Boston.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I thought Poitras, Beecher, Bussi, Richard and Mitchell from the young guys impressed. Mitchell has a real shot of playing some games in place of Shatty.

JVR, DeBrusk and Frederic all looked great too. We forget how good Frederic is defensively. Don’t know what people see in Geekie, thought Brown was better in the limited ice time he had. Love all the right shots.

Lysell was noticeable but made some bad turnovers. Overall I think if they put him on a line of NHLers his plays would have connected more. It felt like there was no one there to help him.

I suspect we will see why Richard is a 4A player when the level of competition ramps up.

Hard agree on Lysell (and really your whole post). Really liked his effort on D. He wants it. Tried to do too much, though. With real NHL players I suspect you are right.

Reactions: BMC and veganbruin

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
His game feels like that a lot. I said the same thing about him in the prospects game. Hopefully it’s not some flaw in his game that’s going to derail him. He had some good moments tonight, some bursts where he’d made a good play or shot, but he also had as many mistakes. Let’s see what the next game brings.
Very similar to Zboril who had an excellent game but one gaffe ..Lysell definitely did not have an excellent game but seems to be on the same path so far, lets hope he can put it all together he's still has a few years, most likely in the AHL

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

pizzafrylover420

Feb 5, 2020
Some first impressions:

Bruins awesome team effort. I really was impressed with the active sticks, everywhere. The bruins did great at disrupting passing lanes with active sticks in the D zone and really well in the neutral zone, really slowing down and disrupting the rangers breakouts.

bruins seemed to do real solid on faceoffs too.

Bussi looked unbelievable, was in the zone. Really nice to see.

Debrusk- super impressive game, showed great leadership

Poitras- amazing game, one of the best all around forwards tonight, not just showing his offensive game, but I really liked his play in all 3 zones and was impressed seeing him out there on the PK too. Gonna be hard sending him back to juniors if he keeps this play up.

Beecher looked great, showing his speed, played physical, engaged in all 3 zones, awesome on face offs, good PK, really impressed.

Solid efforts from JVR and Fredric

Richard- I really liked what I saw out of Richard, although he didn’t finish his chances, he was flying out there, impressed by his play in all 3 zones. I thought he played better and more noticeable than his vet competition in Greer, Geekie, Megna, Brown (Was he hurt, didn’t hear him much.

Harrison had a few decent moments but I didn’t notice him much, that Lysell megna Harrison line was just not working.

Love Lysell and excited to see what he can become but thought he had a rough game, some nice flashes and moments but as a whole his line just didn’t click. Hope he gets stronger, the skill set is there!

Most disappointing forward, Geekie I guess. Not a big knock after one game, he did make a lot of little great plays and he seems pretty reliable, just nothing about him really stood out. Just one game, at times he reminded me of Riley Nash.

I thought the D was gonna be worse but as a unit overall I thought they held up ok, Bussi did bail them out a lot but overall they held their own.

I really thought Callahan had himself an amazing game, I know his upside isn’t much but good on him for the solid effort. He had some really great simple plays, nothing flashy, just real solid effort.

I also really liked Regula, I was taken back at first with just how slow of a skater he is but he settled down as the game went on, and like Callahan , continued to make solid smart plays with the puck, some great clears, good positioning.

Walsh-had a couple adventures in his own zone, misplays with the puck but overall thought he played solid. He had some nice plays with the puck.

Zboril-I don’t know. I want him to take the next step but he looks the same every year. Makes a really good play, followed by just terrible turnovers. Think it’s all mental, his decision making with the puck is so so bad sometimes, he is good for a few bonehead turnovers a game. He needs to play more and get some confidence going but not sure it will ever piece together. I remember there were comparisons to Radko Gudas during his draft year, had a bit of nasty in him and would throw big hits, I just don’t see that at all in his game at this point. I may be misremembering things though, but I’d love it if he got more physical. The IQ with the puck in his own zone is a big problem that follows his play.

Wotherspoon- ehhh solid enough

Mitchell- I don’t know, not impressed with Mitchell in my first viewing. For some reason he gave me Matt Irwin vibes. I tried to focus on him at times and he did make some solid plays too so he wasn’t horrible or anything but I wasn’t very impressed.

To me Regula and Callahan were the most solid all around guys on D tonight. Nothing flashy but would shut down plays and move pucks out of zone. Good stuff.

Wooo so happy hockey is back! Awesome team effort!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Because he wanted to. I know you disagree. But evidently Greer feels there’s value in it. He didn’t step up in a pre season game because he likes taking a beating. Heh. The proof is in the pudding.

He feels it helps him to make the team. That’s simply the reality. Lots of money on the line. He certainly got noticed.

Really? What's he make in the NHL vs AHL?

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Lots of new guys to get a look at but I'm keeping an eye on the guy in the crease.

View attachment 745646
Hop on the Bus, the Rags are under it. My financial guy would always say "Assets equal wealth, not your salary". Bussi is an asset, can perhaps use him as a pawn to rook a King later. Not necessarily him but one of the keepers at some point. Think Ron Grahame to the Kings for No 1 pick that would become Raymond Bourque.

1695603178122.png

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Very similar to Zboril who had an excellent game but one gaffe ..Lysell definitely did not have an excellent game but seems to be on the same path so far, lets hope he can put it all together he's still has a few years, most likely in the AHL
Actually, I didn’t think Zboril had a good game. He looks great, flying around at that size, but I thought his decisions were more off than on, and I think he led the team in turnovers.

I think Lysell did a lot of good things, his back checking, his puck pursuit, he had a couple good shots and a really nice pass, but other than the penalty I wouldn’t say he made a lot of mistakes, he just didn’t seem to gel with Megna and Harrison, and he left you wanting to see more from him. fwiw, I thought Lysell and Harrison both looked better after the line change.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Really want to see Poitras in some later pre-season action. He got closed in on along the boards and swallowed up a few times and doesn't really have much in the way of top end speed. But, man he looked good in this game.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing him a year from now, bigger, stronger, faster. I’ve seen him making plays in training camp and development camp so that was kind of expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by his game off the puck. He was out there killing penalties, he was creating turnovers in the neutral zone with his stick, he’s very comfortable with contact…

I really hope he makes Team Canada, he showed tonight he’s more than just an offensive player.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It’s more about his next contract. Being in the NHL is good for his career.

And again, if he's relying on being able to eat punches to stay in the NHL then he's in trouble. What earned him a spot last year in camp was playing a heavy game and popping some goals.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
My initial thoughts keeping in mind I've learned it is very precarious drawing a conclusion from any preseason game, nevermind the first one.

Poitras - If he plays like this, and its a big if, he will make this team opening night. His stick is amazing. Not just in the offensive zone, but the way he breaks up plays. He plays with so much courage too. There is something really worth getting excited about with this player. No. 2 star in my book.

Bussi - What can you say. He played out of his mind. Definitely the best player on the ice Does he make one of our top 2 goalies trade bait at the deadline?

Beecher - Good showing. His goal really showcased his strengths. Had a few other nice plays too. Montgomery wants to get harder and faster, so he will get an extended look I'm sure.

Geekie - Poor showing for a first impression, but again it is just the first preseason game. Has an NHL resume, so no point in looking at preseason games. Stylistically he seems quite a bit like Tomas Nosek.

Richard - Pretty noticeable. Reminds me of Karsons Kuhlman. Has a chance to crack the roster as the 12 or 13th forward.

Lysell - There were occasional sparks, but overall I was disappointed. He has tremendous tools but I'm starting to see lack of hockey sense. I can't stand how all over the ice he is in the defensive zone. My biggest pet peeve is wingers drifting behind the puck wherever it goes in the defensive zone, which is something Lysell is guilty of. You can find him in front of the net, in the opposite corner, pretty much anywhere.

Those were the only players really worth writing about. The returning vets we already know and the other rookies did nothing really to stand out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Imagine for just a moment there is more than one motivation going on here, all at once.

You mean a motive like Greer dropping the gloves and eating punches to help some 28yr old tweener look good to his coach. Greer sure is a nice guy if he's willing to take a beating to help an opposing player maybe end up being the first call up in case of an injury.

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Really want to see Poitras in some later pre-season action. He got closed in on along the boards and swallowed up a few times and doesn't really have much in the way of top end speed. But, man he looked good in this game.
Same. Hard to get a read on how close a prospect is until you see him play against a team mainly composed of actual NHL starters. Poitras certainly didn't look out of place with his linemates tonight, so that's a very good sign. Sucks that he can't play in Providence this season. Would probably help him more to play in the AHL than the OHL at this stage of his development. I won't be surprised if he sticks around to see some late pre-season action. Front office patting themselves on the back for this pick.

Reactions: Gordoff

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
My takeaways from tonight's game..

1. Bussi is a rock solid depth G who I'm totally comfortable rolling with as a #2 in the event that Sway or Linus goes down..

2. Johnny Beecher made a good early case for that 4C spot. He certainly didn't hurt his chances tonight.

3. I didn't see anything out of the D corps tonight that had me thinking that any of them can crack our Top 6.

4. Lysell still needs more time to develop. He's not NHL ready. I'd say Poitras is closer than Lysell, but neither is ready yet.

5. AJ Greer is still spare parts......That hit and subsequent ass-beating was a giant Nothingburger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad