Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Man, it's stupid how quality of a draft the Islanders had. Certainly helps ease the pain of Tavares leaving them, at least a little bit.

Noah Dobson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Bode Wilde
Ruslan Iskhakov
Jakub Skarek
Blade Jenkins

All guys I really liked in this years draft. Don't know a whole lot about Pivonka and Krygier.
Very solid draft.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The idea that Bracco can step in to our top line and be Matthews' setup man in Nylanders place and not lose much is complete nonsense. Nylander is a 60+ point top line winger and Bracco isn't even a very good AHL player right now.

Literally one of the dumbest things I've heard around in a long time. I face-palmed so hard, I think I gave myself a concussion, and it's totally your fault, you basically assaulted me.
Actually Bracco is a good AHL player. However very unlikely he replaces Nylander

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The idea that Bracco can step in to our top line and be Matthews' setup man in Nylanders place and not lose much is complete nonsense. Nylander is a 60+ point top line winger and Bracco isn't even a very good AHL player right now.

Literally one of the dumbest things I've heard around in a long time. I face-palmed so hard, I think I gave myself a concussion, and it's totally your fault, you basically assaulted me.

:popcorn::laugh:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nylander isn't being traded for a top-4 D. There is no way a guy who scored 8 goals and 32 points in 50 games in the AHL is replacing Nylander, unless your goal is to enjoy a permanent rebuild hoping to draft more players as talented as Nylander. Let's try to remember that Bracco is only 10 months younger than Nylander. And 61 points has been Nylander's lowest full season total. No reason to believe it won't be upwards of 70-75 as early as this season.

The Leafs have a top-4 (possibly top 2) RHD in the system already in Lilegren. The smart money says you look for a stop gap veteran top-4 on an expiring contract to pair with Rielly for this season, and push Hainsey to the bottom pair where he will get less minutes allowing him to PK all night long.

The Leafs have a lot of younger promising D right now in Borgman, Rosen, Sandin, Durzi, Rasanen, even Holl, etc....blowing their brains out for a D-man at this point would be a dumb move IMO.

The Leafs were 3rd out of 16 teams in the Eastern Conference in GA, only 2 GA out from second. Better than Washington. Better than Tampa. And they got rid of the defensive black holes that were JVR and Bozak, and have replaced them with Tavares and the likes of Johnsson and Kapanen. A clear upgrade on the D without even touching it because the days of being hemmed in will be gone. Tavares excels at zone exits. Bozak and JVR couldn't execute one to save their life.

Tyler Bozak: 4G 16A in 30 games at 23 on the Marlies top line. Braccos played most of his rookie year on the Marlies 4th line and still accumulated the same offensive production as a 2o year old compared to the guy who was instantly inserted as the Leafs #1 center for the next 6 years. And if you read my post, its obvious I'm not talking about *this year* as Bracco won't possibly be earning even $1 mil a year, let alone $3 mil for until at least 20-21 (and he hits RFA status), by which time the Leafs will likely be accumulating bigger contracts from other players of note, some of which will include those to keep those defensemen you mention. The NHL under the cap isn't like Pokeman. Think the Lightning will be able to afford Yanni Gourde, for instance, after this year? Will be tough on them if they try.

Last edited:
Reactions: exporta

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Tyler Bozak: 4G 16A in 30 games at 23 on the Marlies top line. Braccos played most of his rookie year on the Marlies 4th line and still accumulated the same offensive production as a 21 year old compared to the guy who was instantly inserted as the Leafs #1 center for the next 6 years. And if you read my post, its obvious I'm not talking about *this year* as Bracco won't possibly be earning even $1 mil a year, let alone $3 mil for until at least 20-21 (and he hits RFA status).

Bracco has zero relevance to Bozak here. Right now there is no need to trade Nylander for a top-4 D. They have cap room this year, and the type of top-4 D they should be trading for is an older one on an expiring deal. That was the point I was trying to make.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Right now there is no need to trade Nylander for a top-4 D.

Which was my point as well if you bothered to read my posts with a critical eye instead of just joining on the pile on.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Man, it's stupid how quality of a draft the Islanders had. Certainly helps ease the pain of Tavares leaving them, at least a little bit.

Noah Dobson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Bode Wilde
Ruslan Iskhakov
Jakub Skarek
Blade Jenkins

All guys I really liked in this years draft. Don't know a whole lot about Pivonka and Krygier.
Every one of those 6 were in my top 75

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Noah Dobson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Bode Wilde
Ruslan Iskhakov
Jakub Skarek
Blade Jenkins

They picked all the sweethearts. I think they missed on Dobson, and I'm not a fan of Wilde in my limited viewings. To me, that pool will end up being average.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Noah Dobson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Bode Wilde
Ruslan Iskhakov
Jakub Skarek
Blade Jenkins

I like the Skarek pick and Jenkins is pretty good value in the 5th round, but Wilde is not the type of guy I think the Leafs would have drafted higher than the 3rd round, and I think taking Iskhakov in the top half of the 2nd is a little bit of a reach. It's a homerun pick and could pay huge dividends, but everything I saw and read about him did not scream 2nd round pick compared to a lot of the other talent you could have got there. I saw him in the SDA range. If you really liked him, 3rd round is not terrible, but I saw him more in the 4th round or 5th round. I think SDA where we got him is much better value than Iskhakov where he was taken. Pivonka also looks like the type of guy you could get in the 5th-7th rounds, but I do not know much about how good he is defensively so that may have been why he was taken a bit earlier. Worst case, it is balanced by getting a 3rd or 4th round prospect like Jenkins in the 5th.

I think their real value comes from the top 2 picks, Skarek and maybe Jenkins. The rest is not bad, but nothing special.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The idea of a Bracco/Kapanen/Korshkov being a cost effective replacement/downgrade for Nylander only comes into play if his contract demands force us into a bridge and trade as an RFA scenario
He will not be forcing us into a bridge, it is what we are only offfering (in my opinion).

Bracco is a highly skilled player and more skilled then a depth forward and would need to be placed in an offensive role so that we can maximize his potential.

I am not in anyway advocating that we trade Nylander right now, however if he continues to shy away from contact etc and we still need a top 4 D man then it may happen.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Rookie tournament roster should be announced soon, no?

Prediction:
FORWARDS (15):
JJ Piccinich
Adam Brooks
Jeremy Bracco
Ryan McGregor
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Riley Stotts
Hudson Elynuik
Giorgio Estephan
Ryan Moore
Matt Bradley
Kristian Pospisil
Semyon Babintsev
Derian Plouffe
Josh Kestner
Scott Pooley

DEFENSE (8)
Fedor Gordeev
Sean Durzi
Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Stefan Leblanc
Sam Jardine
Alex Gudbranson
Kristians Rubins

GOALIES (2)
Ian Scott
Zachary Bouthillier

I'm sure there will be 1-3 actual invites from Dev Camp or elsewhere.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Prediction:
FORWARDS (15):
JJ Piccinich
Adam Brooks
Jeremy Bracco
Ryan McGregor
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Riley Stotts
Hudson Elynuik
Giorgio Estephan
Ryan Moore
Matt Bradley
Kristian Pospisil
Semyon Babintsev
Derian Plouffe
Josh Kestner
Scott Pooley

DEFENSE (8)
Fedor Gordeev
Sean Durzi
Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Stefan Leblanc
Sam Jardine
Alex Gudbranson
Kristians Rubins

GOALIES (2)
Ian Scott
Zachary Bouthillier

I believe this tournament is in Quebec this year rather than London as in previous years.

Can anyone confirm? Is it Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa? I remember in years past Pitt and Chicago(unless I'm mis-remembering) had taken part as well.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I believe this tournament is in Quebec this year rather than London as in previous years.

Can anyone confirm? Is it Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa? I remember in years past Pitt and Chicago(unless I'm mis-remembering) had taken part as well.

Last year it was in Toronto at Ricoh. No idea about this year.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Prediction:

Dermott and Nielsen played in last year's tournament. I watched the two games and it was clear that Dermott had taken a big step forward and should be competing for a roster spot, and Nielsen had not and would not. I don't see why Liljegren wouldn't be in the lineup this year. Show if his progress matches his confidence.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Dermott and Nielsen played in last year's tournament. I watched the two games and it was clear that Dermott had taken a big step forward and should be competing for a roster spot, and Nielsen had not and would not. I don't see why Liljegren wouldn't be in the lineup this year. Show if his progress matches his confidence.
Was so focused on trying to fill out the roster that I forgot him. He should be there for sure.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Prediction:
FORWARDS (15):
JJ Piccinich
Adam Brooks
Jeremy Bracco
Ryan McGregor
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Riley Stotts
Hudson Elynuik
Giorgio Estephan
Ryan Moore
Matt Bradley
Kristian Pospisil
Semyon Babintsev
Derian Plouffe
Josh Kestner
Scott Pooley

DEFENSE (8)
Fedor Gordeev
Sean Durzi
Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Stefan Leblanc
Sam Jardine
Alex Gudbranson
Kristians Rubins

GOALIES (2)
Ian Scott
Zachary Bouthillier

Forwards

RW Scott Pooley (94')
RW J.J. Piccinich (96')
RW Kristian Pospisil (96')
RW Jeremy Bracco (97')
RW/C Ryan Moore (97')
LW/C Brady Ferguson (94')
LW/C Hudson Elynuik (97')
LW Keegan Howdeshell (98')
C Derian Plouffe (95')
C Giorgio Estephan (97')
C Matt Bradley (97')
C Ryan McGregor (99')
C Brett Neumann (99')
C Riley Stotts (00')
C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (00')

Defensemen
RD Sean Durzi (98')
RD Mac Hollowell (98')
RD Filip Kral (99')
RD Timothy Liljegren (99')
LD Fedor Gordeev (99')
LD Stefan Leblanc (96')
LD Noah Carroll (97')
LD Rasmus Sandin (00')*

Goalies
G Ian Scott (99')
G Zachary Bouthillier (99')

* If the Leafs are serious about Sandin sticking on the Marlies this year. None of the FA defensemen were good enough, and we would already be giving Carroll a courtesy by inviting him (because of the Soo connection and the fact he could eventually be on the Growlers). If we did not have our 1st round pick defensemen there as well, I'd take a chance on another guy (besides Rubins; aim higher than a guy who is going to be ECHL depth at best next year and is not even on an AHL deal with the Marlies).

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Was so focused on trying to fill out the roster that I forgot him. He should be there for sure.

What about Sandin also? I would think if the Leafs have any intention of keeping him around for the Marlies next year he would be at rookie camp. If he's staying in Rogle, obviously not.

Same with Ferguson. He makes more sense than both Kestner and Babintsev.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Forwards
RW Scott Pooley (94')
RW J.J. Piccinich (96')
RW Jeremy Bracco (97')
RW/C Ryan Moore (97')
C Derian Plouffe (95')
C Giorgio Estephan (97')
C Matt Bradley (97')
C Ryan McGregor (99')
C Brett Neumann (99')
C Riley Stotts (00')

Defensemen
RD Sean Durzi (98')
RD Mac Hollowell (98')
RD Filip Kral (99')
LD Fedor Gordeev (99')
LD Stefan Leblanc (96')
LD Noah Carroll (97')
LD Rasmus Sandin (00')*

Goalies
G Ian Scott (99')

* If the Leafs are serious about Sandin sticking on the Marlies this year. None of the FA defensemen were good enough, and we would already be giving Carroll a courtesy by inviting him (because of the Soo connection and the fact he could eventually be on the Growlers). If we did not have our 1st round pick defensemen there as well, I'd take a chance on another guy (besides Rubins; aim higher than a guy who is going to be ECHL depth at best next year and is not even on an AHL deal with the Marlies).
Howdeshell went somewhere else, but Neumann is a quality invite. He was one of Shilton's stand outs. Sandin will be here if not still with Rogle

Edit: Howdeshell is with Arizona.
Edit #2: Carroll committed to the U of New Brunswick.

Gonna need to come up with 2 new invites

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Howdeshell went somewhere else, but Neumann is a quality invite. He was one of Shilton's stand outs. Sandin will be here if not still with Rogle

Edit: Howdeshell is with Arizona

Sokolov and Levin are elsewhere as well.

Personally, I would just try looking elsewhere to see what I could get. We could poach from other development camps like teams have with us. Otherwise, stick with Neumann and Carroll and add Pucek. I would prefer to give ice time to better invitees, but maybe that just means we can give more ice time to our AHL contracts and drafted guys.

If I were to go off of my draft board, I'd invite two of Michal Kvasnica, Chase Wouters or Luka Burzan and Yegor Zamula. Kvasnica, Wouters and Burzan were the only guys I had 3rd round grades on who did not end up drafted. Zamula was one of a few undrafted 4th round guys, and the only defenseman of the bunch who was not either already invited elsewhere (Caleb Everett) or playing in Europe/NCAA (Galenyuk and Samuelsson).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sokolov and Levin are elsewhere as well.

Personally, I would just try looking elsewhere to see what I could get. We could poach from other development camps like teams have with us. Otherwise, stick with Neumann and Carroll and add Pucek. I would prefer to give ice time to better invitees, but maybe that just means we can give more ice time to our AHL contracts and drafted guys.

If I were to go off of my draft board, I'd invite two of Michal Kvasnica, Chase Wouters or Luka Burzan and Yegor Zamula. Kvasnica, Wouters and Burzan were the only guys I had 3rd round grades on who did not end up drafted. Zamula was one of a few undrafted 4th round guys, and the only defenseman of the bunch who was not either already invited elsewhere (Caleb Everett) or playing in Europe/NCAA (Galenyuk and Samuelsson).
What happened to Burzan? He was so highly touted coming into the WHL. Hasn't lived up to the hype. Any reason for this? I can't say I've watched him play.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Forwards
RW Scott Pooley (94')
RW J.J. Piccinich (96')
RW Jeremy Bracco (97')
RW/C Ryan Moore (97')
C Derian Plouffe (95')
C Giorgio Estephan (97')
C Matt Bradley (97')
C Ryan McGregor (99')
C Brett Neumann (99')
C Riley Stotts (00')

Defensemen
RD Sean Durzi (98')
RD Mac Hollowell (98')
RD Filip Kral (99')
LD Fedor Gordeev (99')
LD Stefan Leblanc (96')
LD Noah Carroll (97')
LD Rasmus Sandin (00')*

Goalies
G Ian Scott (99')

Piccinich is going to make a career attending these rookie camps. This is like his 16th camp.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad