Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Another thing is that right now it looks like he's going to be a 4C at best for them. If he (or one of the three guys ahead of him) moves to the wing, then of course things work out better for him. But Ruzicka, Rees and Sproviero will all likely end up ahead of him at center.

Very liberal use of the word likely, because that would be a surprising development. If it weren't for his injury there's a good chance Mcgregor leads last years Sting in faceoffs taken, he played ahead of Sproverio last year, got slotted right back in as a top 9 C and leaned on heavily on a team with Rymsha/Rusicka/Ang/Pezetta, has been recognized as one of the best defensive forwards in the Western conference, and had his line with Leufvenius and Josling praised as the teams best by the coach

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Very liberal use of the word likely, because that would be a surprising development. If it weren't for his injury there's a good chance Mcgregor leads last years Sting in faceoffs taken, he played ahead of Sproverio last year, got slotted right back in as a top 9 C and leaned on heavily on a team with Rymsha/Rusicka/Ang/Pezetta, has been recognized as one of the best defensive forwards in the Western conference, and had his line with Leufvenius and Josling praised as the teams best by the coach

SO whats your prediction on where he ends up playing? I think he could be an interesting prospect if developed properly but dont know enough about the internal battle.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
SO whats your prediction on where he ends up playing? I think he could be an interesting prospect if developed properly but dont know enough about the internal battle.

Kadri type 1B/2A handling a lot of the defensive heavy lifting so that Rees can be sheltered and Ruzicka's apathy doesn't burn them too badly. PK1, PP will be the big question mark.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but whoever keeps compiling Liljegren's monthly highlights deserves a pat on the back. Here's the latest:
this one made him look like a Gardiner clone of a prospect - always electing to hold the puck, making guys miss most of the time but sometimes making super risky plays or getting caught & stripped holding too long. Not a bad thing, lots of upside, just gave me flashbacks

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Don't know if this was posted, but Pronman had some good things to say about Pontus Holmberg at the 4 Nations U20.

From The Athletic, I encourage people to read the entire article, has some good write-ups on other prospects.

"When I watched Holmberg last season, I thought he was a good playmaker, but at this tournament, he showed me another level. He has a lot of skill, but his vision is high-end. He showed the ability to make a lot of plays and run a power play from the half-wall. I didn’t see a ton of speed in his game and for a small guy that’s not ideal, but he’s got offensive talent for sure and I’m interested to see how he plays in Vaxjo, a club team that gives players like him room to be creative."

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
this one made him look like a Gardiner clone of a prospect - always electing to hold the puck, making guys miss most of the time but sometimes making super risky plays or getting caught & stripped holding too long. Not a bad thing, lots of upside, just gave me flashbacks

Gardiner wasn't anywhere as good a Lily at his age. The only comparable Gards has is his skating. And even then, Timmy is a better skater. He's going to be so much better than Gards, it's not even close.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Same. I think he will be Gards replacement!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Gardiner wasn't anywhere as good a Lily at his age. The only comparable Gards has is his skating. And even then, Timmy is a better skater. He's going to be so much better than Gards, it's not even close.
I'll disagree pretty heavily. Gardiner was a mid 1st round draft pick (the same pick that Liljegren was taken with, 17) who was a tremendous skater with a ton of skill. "At his age" is a bit of a technicality, Gardiner was drafted high on his tools out of a US highschool, but went point/game at U of Wisconsin and debuted in the AHL in his D+3, then had a hell of an impressive NHL rookie year in his D+4

I think you also misunderstood what I was saying there, it wasn't that he will turn out to be Gardiner, it was that he reminds me of Gardiner as a prospect, and I'm not sure if you remember the hype around Gardiner as a 21yo but we thought he had a good chance to be a #1....hell, Gardiner is a #1 for stretches, it's only the Mr. Hyde part of that equation that holds him back

I hope you're right that he ends up being much better than Gardiner, but I wouldn't count chickens yet. I promise you that there will be times that Liljegren causes the same types of headaches that Gardiner does though unless he stops making risky plays in his own end - and if you watch that highlight package there's a lot of those

Same. I think he will be Gards replacement!
I hope he ends up not repeating the same mistakes the way that Gardiner has, but if he was Gardiner v2 on the right side I wouldn't be upset with that result....that's 7+ years of service from a really good dman at an affordable rate during a time that this team will have cap issues. If he turns out as a true top pairing guy, even better, but I would count it as a win if he's Gardiner or better

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry guys, this one came after a long time. I got really sick for a few days and had university so I didnt get much time.

17) Mason Marchment

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great

Stats

2016-17
Toronto Marlies
AHL91016-2|
Orlando Solar Bears
ECHL3514620271|Playoffs714511-6
2017-18
Toronto Marlies
AHL441115263612|Playoffs20639183
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mason Marchment - Prospect-Stats

2017/2018
eTOI/GP- 4rd line ice time
G/GP- above average 2nd liner
A1/GP- below average 3rd liner
A2/GP- above average 1st liner
P1/GP- poor 2nd liner
P/GP- above average 2nd liner
Sh/GP- below average 2nd liner
eG/60- great 1st liner
eA1/60- average 4th liner

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 1.5/2.5
Shot: 2.5/3
Puck Skills: 3/3
Compete: 5/5
Defence: 3/3.5

Note: puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creativity

Wasn’t well known when he first came into the organization, played 9 games with the Marlies but was sent to the ECHL to work harder to become a better player. He played alright but it would have been better to go down and develop his game a little. Now after a solid full season with the Marlies, he is looking like a legitimate prospect that has a chance to make the NHL in the next year or so.

His skating simply isn’t good enough. His feet look like they are stuck in cement, and its an aspect that is seriously lacking. Their has been some improvement, but a lot of work is still needed even if he wants to take the next step in his game.

Offensively, his tools are average maybe even slightly above average. You wouldn’t think he would do much with the puck, but he can put up some points. His best asset is just offensive hockey IQ and knowing where to be in the zone. He can create a little, and can control the puck, but no one will mistake him for a playmaker. His skating is something that limits from doing a lot with the puck. Its an aspect that he seriously needs to keep improving, because right now it is a stumbling block. Pretty decent hands but again he won’t really make too many plays, and his skating is a good reason for that. His shot isn’t bad. He doesn’t have a lot of power but its accurate and has proven he can score with it.

He is fine defensively. He probably won’t hurt the team and is reliable. One thing that helps is that his work ethic is always strong. No matter the situation, he doesn’t take a shift off and was one of the hardest workers for the Marlies this season. A continued emphasis on Improving his skating could help him on defence, which will aid in trying to cut off players on the ice, an will help in the forechecking aspect too especially since his effort level is already very good.

Stock
?
Up
He produced good top 6 numbers receiving 4thline minutes, He shown signs if being a decent player in those 9 games, but he took a great step this season, and established himself as a good AHL player that the coach can trust.

Will he make the NHL?
Yes. His progression and useful skillset indicates someone that could play in the NHL. Even though the upside isn’t high, he could fill in on the 4th line providing energy, and chipping in some offense as well.

Credit to Morgs for helping me with these grades and analysis

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
11 mins for Korshkov.. Geez. Should've just came over.
It doesn't seem like he gets moved much in the lineup either. He's been playing with the same center for two years now. Static lineups, very little PP time, I don't understand what incentive he has to stay.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It doesn't seem like he gets moved much in the lineup either. He's been playing with the same center for two years now. Static lineups, very little PP time, I don't understand what incentive he has to stay.

home country where he doesn't have to concentrate on hockey AND learn a new language? (assuming he doesn't speak English of ocurse)

Maybe he doesn't intend to ever come over, probably earning decent enough money not high end money but enough. Im leaning towards he isn't going to come over to NA, possibly sees the logjam on the leafs and thinks he will wait it out or not come despite being left handed he has only ever played RW

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I'll disagree pretty heavily. Gardiner was a mid 1st round draft pick (the same pick that Liljegren was taken with, 17) who was a tremendous skater with a ton of skill. "At his age" is a bit of a technicality, Gardiner was drafted high on his tools out of a US highschool, but went point/game at U of Wisconsin and debuted in the AHL in his D+3, then had a hell of an impressive NHL rookie year in his D+4

I think you also misunderstood what I was saying there, it wasn't that he will turn out to be Gardiner, it was that he reminds me of Gardiner as a prospect, and I'm not sure if you remember the hype around Gardiner as a 21yo but we thought he had a good chance to be a #1....hell, Gardiner is a #1 for stretches, it's only the Mr. Hyde part of that equation that holds him back

I hope you're right that he ends up being much better than Gardiner, but I wouldn't count chickens yet. I promise you that there will be times that Liljegren causes the same types of headaches that Gardiner does though unless he stops making risky plays in his own end - and if you watch that highlight package there's a lot of those

I hope he ends up not repeating the same mistakes the way that Gardiner has, but if he was Gardiner v2 on the right side I wouldn't be upset with that result....that's 7+ years of service from a really good dman at an affordable rate during a time that this team will have cap issues. If he turns out as a true top pairing guy, even better, but I would count it as a win if he's Gardiner or better

I think what seperates them is Tim is much more of a north/south player. When he gets the puck, he's looking to push the puck up the ice with authority, usually with a solid play. Gardiner on the other hand, slows the game down to a snails pace, with his indecisiveness. Timmy is also is much more aggressive when he engages the puck carrier, and closes the gap much better. Something Gardiner had to work on and is still soft soft.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think what seperates them is Tim is much more of a north/south player. When he gets the puck, he's looking to push the puck up the ice with authority, usually with a solid play. Gardiner on the other hand, slows the game down to a snails pace, with his indecisiveness. Timmy is also is much more aggressive when he engages the puck carrier, and closes the gap much better. Something Gardiner had to work on and is still soft soft.
again I would watch Liljegren's highlight packs, he's very similar to Gardiner in the east-west travel, the slowing the pace to get a defender to commit to trying to get the puck to be able to move around him, and the passes through the middle of the ice in his own end. Don't forget that after there was a period of time that Gardiner was on the same tier as McAvoy is right now too, he was one of the top few young dmen in the game, so it's not a knock on Gardiner. Liljegren is not nearly as highly regarded today as Gardiner was at his peak as a prospect either, the pedigree is there for that to happen but again try to remember how Gardiner was viewed coming off the '12/13 playoff series

I'll agree that Liljegren is more physical defensively, but Gardiner has done a better job in the last couple of years to use his speed to close gaps and take pucks away, he's better than he gets credit for

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
again I would watch Liljegren's highlight packs, he's very similar to Gardiner in the east-west travel, the slowing the pace to get a defender to commit to trying to get the puck to be able to move around him, and the passes through the middle of the ice in his own end. Don't forget that after there was a period of time that Gardiner was on the same tier as McAvoy is right now too, he was one of the top few young dmen in the game, so it's not a knock on Gardiner. Liljegren is not nearly as highly regarded today as Gardiner was at his peak as a prospect either, the pedigree is there for that to happen but again try to remember how Gardiner was viewed coming off the '12/13 playoff series

I'll agree that Liljegren is more physical defensively, but Gardiner has done a better job in the last couple of years to use his speed to close gaps and take pucks away, he's better than he gets credit for

Of Course, Gardiner's 12/13 playoff series, was his Draft + 5 year... In his D+2 year, he put up 13 points, in 41 games in the NCAA. That was actually a decline from his D+1 year.

Liljegren has another FOUR seasons, to grow as a player to be measured equally against Gardiner's 12/13 playoff series.

Reactions: TeamBester
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad