Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
It would be nice to see Collberg playing with Sundstrom, whom I'm assuming will be the #1 center for Bridgeport. They may have not played on the same line at the 2012 WJHCs, but they were on the same Gold Medal winning team.

Possible that Strome is the 1C in BPT? Plays with Lee and XX, Collberg with sunstrom and maybe Persson?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Possible that Strome is the 1C in BPT? Plays with Lee and XX, Collberg with sunstrom and maybe Persson?

Why would you send Strome down? Strome is a vital piece for us this season and moving forward, he played great at the end of the year, let him provide some much needed secondary scoring and get some pp time.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Why would you send Strome down? Strome is a vital piece for us this season and moving forward, he played great at the end of the year, let him provide some much needed secondary scoring and get some pp time.

Depends on a lot of factors. Just becauae he starts in BP doesnt mean he cant come up.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Depends on a lot of factors. Just becauae he starts in BP doesnt mean he cant come up.

I'd be shocked if Strome spends ONE game at Bridgeport. He'd have to have a monumentally bad training camp to not make the team. He will be on the 2nd or 3rd line all season and 2nd PP.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'd be shocked if Strome spends ONE game at Bridgeport. He'd have to have a monumentally bad training camp to not make the team. He will be on the 2nd or 3rd line all season and 2nd PP.

Absolutely. Strome should be up. He was night and day better the second time he came up last year. Really excited to see him play this year.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
If I were GM, I would force Ho-Sang to wear 66. I can't stand Mario and the Penguins.

On the other side though, I did love Jason Blake and his 55 jersey here on the Island.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
If I were GM, I would force Ho-Sang to wear 66. I can't stand Mario and the Penguins.

On the other side though, I did love Jason Blake and his 55 jersey here on the Island.

What's crazy is that Jason Blake is probably the best current comparison for Ho-Sang's game... Well, except that Ho-Sang is a little less selfish with the puck. :laugh:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

He will probably make it, but a spot won't be handed to him.

Right now, the Isles have 16 forwards and will likely keep 13. Only Strome and Lee are waiver exempt.

For Strome to break camp with the team, he needs to outplay Lee and Conachar at a minimum (my guess is McDonald is cut as well as two of the other three). He will likely do it, but it isn't a given.

scott99

May 13, 2005
What's crazy is that Jason Blake is probably the best current comparison for Ho-Sang's game... Well, except that Ho-Sang is a little less selfish with the puck. :laugh:

He reminds me of Pat Lafontaine and of course Patrick Kane (Ho-Sang's idol). He also reminds me of Denis Savard a little too.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

See I don't think his play will dictate if he gets a roster spot. He is in the same spot as a guy like Reinhart where they are going to have to be really good and the guys they are competing against have to be poor. Strome play is going to have to be good enough for Snow to say that we can afford to lose the mcDs/conacher/etc for free and call up guys like Sundstrom (assuming lee is the first call up). If the Conachers of the world have good enough camps that Snow feels they have value and the Isles are generally healthy, there is a good chance Strome heads to BP to start the year.

Considering Snows depth mentality, I think it's possible. Plus is makes BPT much more viable.

Strome not making the club out of camp is not a reflection of his play, could be just that other guys played well to and he is one asset that they can move to another roster freely.

scott99

May 13, 2005
See I don't think his play will dictate if he gets a roster spot. He is in the same spot as a guy like Reinhart where they are going to have to be really good and the guys they are competing against have to be poor. Strome play is going to have to be good enough for Snow to say that we can afford to lose the mcDs/conacher/etc for free and call up guys like Sundstrom (assuming lee is the first call up). If the Conachers of the world have good enough camps that Snow feels they have value and the Isles are generally healthy, there is a good chance Strome heads to BP to start the year.

Considering Snows depth mentality, I think it's possible. Plus is makes BPT much more viable.

Strome not making the club out of camp is not a reflection of his play, could be just that other guys played well to and he is one asset that they can move to another roster freely.

I appreciate your insight and agree somewhat about your thought process on this, BUT, the Isles NEED offense, and there is a reason why he was called up that second time, he's the Isle's best prospect and will bring that offense. I know we all think the Islanders have a good offense, but they were 18th in goals scored, not 8th.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm kinda bummed Ho-Sang switched his number. I loved #66 for him.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I appreciate your insight and agree somewhat about your thought process on this, BUT, the Isles NEED offense, and there is a reason why he was called up that second time, he's the Isle's best prospect and will bring that offense. I know we all think the Islanders have a good offense, but they were 18th in goals scored, not 8th.

Exactly this. It's time to move forward. Strome is ready.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Nothing frustrates me more than this line of thinking. Send down a guy who could be a 50+ point player this year because he is waiver exempt, while your 4th line fodder is not.

I agree that none of the young guys should be handed anything, but thinking it would be wise to send down players who actually earn spots out of fear of losing guys like Conacher or Boulton makes no sense to me. Especially when you consider what's at stake next offseason.

All of Strome, Reinhart, and Lee will most likely warrant Opening Night spots. The only one I'm not sure about sticking regardless of how he looks in camp is Lee. The other two are near locks in my mind. Strome based on how he looked last year + the fact that he's one of our only two RH shots with top-six talent. Reinhart based on his development, his past camps, and the fact that he brings everything we currently lack(size and shut-down ability).

If these two play the way I believe they will play in camp and STILL get sent down, I'll really be disappointed in Cappy/Snow.

...but hey, Bridgeport will probably be fun to watch.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

All true. He looked good last year in his 2nd stint and odds are he,looks better this. I dont think it necessarily happens, just a possibility. He could very well,end up on the 2nd line RW. I think that is really his only shot unless they do something crazy like grabo with JT.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Strome is one of the best nine forwards at camp, he will start the season as an Islander.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I really don't think Strome has to play his way on to this roster. If anything, he has to play his way off. He will have to be monumentually bad in order to get sent down to BP. He has paid his dues over the past few years, got sent down last year when he arguably shouldn't have and came back playing really well.

JMO, but considering where he was drafted, who he is (a hard working, talented kid), and what he's done (produced in his last stint), there is no real chance of him going down. Unless something unexpected happens, he's here for good. Cory Conacher is not affecting Ryan Strome's growth. That would be supremely near-sighted and flat out dumb.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I really don't think Strome has to play his way on to this roster. If anything, he has to play his way off. He will have to be monumentually bad in order to get sent down to BP. He has paid his dues over the past few years, got sent down last year when he arguably shouldn't have and came back playing really well.

JMO, but considering where he was drafted, who he is (a hard working, talented kid), and what he's done (produced in his last stint), there is no real chance of him going down. Unless something unexpected happens, he's here for good. Cory Conacher is not affecting Ryan Strome's growth. That would be supremely near-sighted and flat out dumb.

The only thing I see that could trip Strome up is his play at RW. That's it.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Really wish he kept wearing #66 but someone probably told him that switching meant one less distraction he'd have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad