Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
Sokorin against Koskinen with currently two periods played. 2-1 for Metallurg NK. Sokorin with already 32 saves on 33 shots (one goal allowed) and Koskinen with 10 saves on 12 shots (2 goals allowed). It looks like Metallurg NK will allow 40+ shots every game. A lot of work for Ilya.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
2-2 at the end of regulation. Sibir scored with 4 minutes to end the game. 49 saves for Kokorin on 51 shots. Second goal was a softie by Ilya.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Problem is, he may actually be worth that guarantee by the end of this season.

We'll see... No reason to let him go until the rights run out. Maybe another team will show big interest in some type of trade?

I can't really see a BIG trade happening. A little trade? Maybe. But what's the value of a goaltender excelling in the KHL? I don't know if I could find the league leaders from last year but if I remember correctly, it was a mix of prospects and NHL has-beens. How do the younger guys in the KHL perform once they get here?

Actually, here are the stats from last season: http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/244/sv_pct/

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Thanks a lot for these continuous updates.

A discussion over the summer involved where fans might like to take hockey road trips. An idea (perhaps for next year) would be to take in some junior games in late September when the CHL regular season has started and Canadian weather is still decent (although it is snowing here today). (This would not work for school teachers.)

A trip could involve, for example, the Maritimes, where there are six teams in relative close proximity (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI) in the Q and some great scenery not too far from Long Island. Then one might catch an Islanders exhibition or early season game in Montreal or Boston.

As an aside: Jim Prentice became Premier of Alberta (like a Governor) very recently. I mention this only because his uncle is Dean Prentice, who played many years in the NHL in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, including the Rangers.

Thanks, don't usually get a chance to make a hockey trip, during US Thanksgiving break when in Canada try to catch a junior game or two, went to Erie at Mississauga last year (saw Pelech), the year before was in St.Cathrines and saw Strome, Graham and Theoret twice. For sure have to make a Maritimes trip one day and not just for hockey. Another good place to go is Windsor.

Remember Dean Prentice well, saw him play in person a few times.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thanks guys for the updates ! Sorokin will be facing a lot of shots all season. His team has been bad for a while. He does give in a softie once in a while, but he also makes a ton of amazing saves as well. Once he tightens up on those softies, he should be a really good goalie.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks guys for the updates ! Sorokin will be facing a lot of shots all season. His team has been bad for a while. He does give in a softie once in a while, but he also makes a ton of amazing saves as well. Once he tightens up on those softies, he should be a really good goalie.

the more shots he faces, the more experience he gets. That's how I look at it...

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

Have you been watching his games, Scott?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Have you been watching his games, Scott?

charlie, I only saw him during the pre-world junior championships selection camp tournament earlier this summer. He looked pretty good, but he did struggle some as well (especially vs Canada who's team was stacked). The fact that he's doing this against men, while facing an average of 45 shots per game, in the 2nd best league in hockey, while still only being 19, is really impressive.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Cool, yeah I agree very impressive. Hopefully someone who is watching him in the K will drop us a scouting report eventually.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Strome will make the team better if for no other reason than if we don't play him, we are more or less forced to play either Clutterbuck or McDonald on the left half boards for the second PP unit. Strome is our only righty shot forward with enough offensive skill to play on the PP or in the top 6 other than Okposo. That alone should guarantee him a spot on the team as you need more than one of those to compete.

I'm sure they could fit someone else (more experienced), given the depth of the forward crew in that spot.

We'll see what training camp/preseason brings. With the bevvy of forwards it should be quite interesting to see who emerges from the pack/where the pieces fall.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm sure they could fit someone else (more experienced), given the depth of the forward crew in that spot.

We'll see what training camp/preseason brings. With the bevvy of forwards it should be quite interesting to see who emerges from the pack/where the pieces fall.

Who would you use?

Playing a lefty in that spot is like lefty playing short stop. It's possible, but the extra split second it takes a lefty to receive a pass on the left side is a major detriment to a PP, just like the extra split second it takes a lefty SS to turn to throw to first base. Obviously you can do it, but if you have the option of using a righty, you use that option instead because it's just flat out more effective.

So that leaves, Clutterbuck and McDonald. Which are not particularly good choices. Why do you think Clutterbuck saw so much time on the PP last season? This is the reason.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Who would you use?

Playing a lefty in that spot is like lefty playing short stop. It's possible, but the extra split second it takes a lefty to receive a pass on the left side is a major detriment to a PP, just like the extra split second it takes a lefty SS to turn to throw to first base. Obviously you can do it, but if you have the option of using a righty, you use that option instead because it's just flat out more effective.

So that leaves, Clutterbuck and McDonald. Which are not particularly good choices. Why do you think Clutterbuck saw so much time on the PP last season? This is the reason.

Not knowing the composition of NYIs forward's respective handedness I'll take your word on that. I understand your argument, however, if Strome looks out of place in preseason (here's hoping they give him a good look as a top-6 winger), he should be sent down to Bridge. Late season success doesn't always carry over to the next. Just color me cautiously optimistic.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not knowing the composition of NYIs forward's respective handedness I'll take your word on that. I understand your argument, however, if Strome looks out of place in preseason (here's hoping they give him a good look as a top-6 winger), he should be sent down to Bridge. Late season success doesn't always carry over to the next. Just color me cautiously optimistic.

I mean yeah, if a player looks like they can't hang in the NHL they shouldn't make the team. But that is true of any player, so I guess I am not sure of your point if we aren't going to factor in what a player has shown so far to help predict what lineups would potentially be ideal for the coming season.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I mean yeah, if a player looks like they can't hang in the NHL they shouldn't make the team. But that is true of any player, so I guess I am not sure of your point if we aren't going to factor in what a player has shown so far to help predict what lineups would potentially be ideal for the coming season.

That's all I was asserting (the former). I'm not suggesting RS will regress, with the rigorous off season training, driven by the work ethic we've seen from RS, chances are he's progressed if anything. I suppose I'm just not completely sold that a job is his and that he'll make the team better.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That's all I was asserting (the former). I'm not suggesting RS will regress, with the rigorous off season training, driven by the work ethic we've seen from RS, chances are he's progressed if anything. I suppose I'm just not completely sold that a job is his and that he'll make the team better.

Well, unless he's significantly regressed, he's NHL ready and will improve the team, if for no other reason than by making the 2nd PP unit able to play like they have a man advantage.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
To more easily follow Sorokin there is a KHL web site in English. There is also a story on Sorkin's last game and highlights all in English.

en.khl.ru
Or just do a search, spell out kontinental hockey league

scott99

May 13, 2005
To more easily follow Sorokin there is a KHL web site in English. There is also a story on Sorkin's last game and highlights all in English.

en.khl.ru
Or just do a search, spell out kontinental hockey league

They even have an app, in English. I downloaded it to follow Sorokin, Nilsson and Koskinen (could care less about Petrov, he will never be an Islander).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Liked his line, " I want to show them it was a good trade."
Sounds very committed, doing his rehab on the shoulder here and was ready to go when camp started.

I loved that too. Usually you hear the opposite "I want to prove team X wrong or they made mistake for trading me"

I like that hes saying he wants to show the Isles who they have.

Im glad hes healthy and playing full contact. I thought for sure he wouldn't be ready for the Start of the season.Hopfully he gets some Preseason action..

Could we see an all Swede line in Bport?

Persson Sudstrom Collberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad