Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Metallurg is currently playing, Sorokin is not in the net or even dressed for today's game.
Next Metallurg game is Sunday.

watched a few games from the end of last season, focusing on Lee. this kid is a warrior. he is smart, does a lot of little things right. solid, takes a pounding AND i saw him dish a few out too. unafraid to go to the heavy traffic areas, which is something the team is lacking. his skating, IMO, is not as bad as some think. i expect it will improve over time, but i don't think it is worthy of concern.

i cringe when i hear his name come up in trade scenarios.

was trying to think of a comparison for him. do you guys think of Franzen as being similar?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
watched a few games from the end of last season, focusing on Lee. this kid is a warrior. he is smart, does a lot of little things right. solid, takes a pounding AND i saw him dish a few out too. unafraid to go to the heavy traffic areas, which is something the team is lacking. his skating, IMO, is not as bad as some think. i expect it will improve over time, but i don't think it is worthy of concern.

was trying to think of a comparison for him. do you guys think of Franzen as being similar?

Don't really like comparing players but for the reasons you list above and the team needs a player like Lee. When I saw him in the AHL and when he was called up his skating didn't seem to keep from from getting where he needed to be.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Just to put a wrap on last season, the Edmonton Oil Kings home opener is tonight, they will be raising both the WHL and Memorial Cup banners. Though the Big Cat is on Long Island, his play was a key in the championship season. Wouldn't be surprised if Griff recorded a message to the fans during the ceremonies.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Just to put a wrap on last season, the Edmonton Oil Kings home opener is tonight, they will be raising both the WHL and Memorial Cup banners. Though the Big Cat is on Long Island, his play was a key in the championship season. Wouldn't be surprised if Griff recorded a message to the fans during the ceremonies.

Griff is the man.

scott99

May 13, 2005
September 21
KHL
Barys 1, Metallurg 0 (OT)-Ilya Sorokin 26 saves, 27 shots.

Amazing, the kid is just playing so well. Supposedly his team is supposed to be horrible. Yet he seems to keep them in every game. Would be nice if Metallurg would give him some goal support. I believe his stats are now 2.29 ga and .938 sp with a 3-3 record. They aren't the worst team, they are 15th out of 28 teams, but he's a key reason why they aren't down near the bottom.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Amazing, the kid is just playing so well. Supposedly his team is supposed to be horrible. Yet he seems to keep them in every game. Would be nice if Metallurg would give him some goal support. I believe his stats are now 2.29 ga and .938 sp with a 3-3 record. They aren't the worst team, they are 15th out of 28 teams, but he's a key reason why they aren't down near the bottom.

How do his stats compare with the top goalies in the KHL? If I remember correctly Koskinen had similar numbers last year.

scott99

May 13, 2005
How do his stats compare with the top goalies in the KHL? If I remember correctly Koskinen had similar numbers last year.

It's a low scoring league, so usually the leaders have a goals against in the high 1's or very low 2's (example 1.95 ga to 2.25 ga). But the Save percentage is very good for a 19 year old on a bad team. I believe he finished with a 2.90 and .910 sp last year. For instance, Koskinen has a 1.77 ga against right now, but has a .925 sp. He's also 7 years older and on a better team than Sorokin. Anders Nilsson has a 2.37 ga, but a .916 sp, and is 5 years older than Sorokin.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Just looked it up, Sorokin's goals against ranks 16th,(around where the team ranks) more important and impressive the save percentage ranks 6th.
Also have to take into consideration the opposing goalies are at least 4-5 years older and some are a lot older.
This looks to be another great situation like Pokka was in, a kid talented enough to perform regularly and well in the country's top league.

Last edited:

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
New York Islanders top 25 Prospects 2014-2015 (09/21)

#|Name|Pos.|Nat.|DOB|H.|lbs.|L/R|Team|League|GP|G|A|Pts.|+/-
1| Ryan Strome |F|CAN|11-JUL-93|6'1"|188|R|New York Islanders|NHL|||||
2| Griffin Reinhart |D|CAN|24-JAN-94|6'4"|217|L||||
3| Calvin de Haan |D|CAN|9-MAY-91|6'1"|187|L|New York Islanders|NHL||
4| Michael Dal Colle |LW|CAN|20-JUN-96|6'3"|184|L|Oshawa Generals|OHL|
5| Ryan Pulock |D|CAN|6-OCT-94|6'2"|212|R|||
6| Anders Lee |LW|USA|3-JUL-90|6'2"|225|L|New York Islanders|NHL|
7| Ville Pokka |D|FIN|3-JUN-94|6'0"|214|R|New York Islanders|NHL|
8| Josh Ho-Sang |C/RW|CAN|22-JAN-96|5'11"|169|R|Windsor Spitfires|OHL|
9| Adam Pelech |D|CAN|16-AUG-94|6'3"|220|L|New York Islanders|NHL|
10| Matt Donovan |D|USA|9-MAY-90|6'0"|195|L|||
11| Sebastian Collberg |RW|SWE|23-FEB-94|5'11"|181|R|||
12| Scott Mayfield |D|USA|14-OCT-92|6'5"|218|R|||
13| Kevin Czuczman |D|CAN|9-JAN-91|6'2"|209||New Yorks Islanders|NHL||
15| Johan Sundström |C|SWE|21-SEP-92|6'3"|201|R|||
16| Andrey Pedan |D|RUS|3-JUL-93|6'5"|213|L||||
17| Kirill Petrov |RW|RUS|13-APR-90|6'3"|242|L|Ak Bars Kazan|KHL|7|0|2|2|+2
18| John Persson |LW|SWE|18-MAY-92|6'2"|209|L|||
19| Mike Halmo |LW|CAN|15-MAY-91|5'10"|197|L|||
20| Taylor Cammarata |LW|USA|13-MAY-95|5'7"|155|L|University of Minnesota|NCAA|
23| Jesse Graham |D|CAN|13-MAY-94|6'0"|176|R|New York Islanders|NHL|
24| Kyle Burroughs |D|CAN|12-JUL-95|6'0"|198|R|Regina Pats|WHL||
25| Victor Crus-Rydberg |C/RW|SWE|21-MAR-95|6'0"|194|R|Plymouth Whalers|OHL|

Goalies
#|Name|Nat.|DOB|H.|lbs.|L/R|Team|League|GPI|GAA|SVS%|W
14| Ilya Sorokin |RUS|4-AUG-95|6'2"|168|L|Metallurg Novokuznetsk|KHL|7|2.29|93.8|3
21| Anders Nilsson |SWE|9-MAR-90|6'5"|234|L|Ak Bars Kazan|KHL|5|2.37|91.6|3
22| Linus Söderström |SWE|23-AUG-96|6'5"|196|L|Djurgårdens IF|J20 SuperElit Norra|3|0.98|97.1|3

scott99

May 13, 2005
Soderstrom is playing in a much weaker league, would be nice if he gets promoted to the SEL sometime this season to see what he has

Was thinking the same thing. His stats are ridiculous, he might be too good for that league. I really think we have 3 good goalie prospects (Sorokin, Soderstrom and McAdam). Williams is a wild card. Had an excellent freshman season at Minnesota State. But had a terrible sophomore season.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Was thinking the same thing. His stats are ridiculous, he might be too good for that league. I really think we have 3 good goalie prospects (Sorokin, Soderstrom and McAdam). Williams is a wild card. Had an excellent freshman season at Minnesota State. But had a terrible sophomore season.

Huh, wut? I thought he was dog food?

scott99

May 13, 2005
McAdam is NOT dogfood!

He's dog ****!

I disagree, really liked what I saw from him in the rookie scrimmages. He's a battler with good size and lateral movement. Had a terrible freshman year at Penn State, but it was their first year ever playing hockey, and that whole team was terrible.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

That is why he's perfect for JT's line. I get why people say Nelson but I feel that he's taylor made to play with JT and Okposo while Nelson can make the Nielsen line that much better.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I disagree, really liked what I saw from him in the rookie scrimmages. He's a battler with good size and lateral movement. Had a terrible freshman year at Penn State, but it was their first year ever playing hockey, and that whole team was terrible.

Agreed, and he looked well last summer also. I question his coaching at Penn State.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Kinda weird that a player at his level would choose to go to Penn State instead of a more established program though, right?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Kinda weird that a player at his level would choose to go to Penn State instead of a more established program though, right?

It's because it's becoming more and more obvious that Snow cannot draft goalies. Maybe one day he'll hit but he's been terrible at it.

Poulin - Never will know his true potential since his game is getting worse and worse since the knee injury. Before that he looked to be legit.

Nilsson - Washed out

Koskinen - Washed out

Rosen - hahahahaha

McAdam - not looking good

Williams - Not looking good

Sorokin and Soderstrom we will know in about 4 years. Who knows he may get lucky.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Depends on what you think 'his level' is.

I've only seen him 6 or 7 times but I think he was lucky to be Penn St backup goalie last season

Haven't seen him at all, just going by what others are saying and his draft position (which was admittedly inflated because Garth was dumb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad