Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It's because it's becoming more and more obvious that Snow cannot draft goalies. Maybe one day he'll hit but he's been terrible at it.

Poulin - Never will know his true potential since his game is getting worse and worse since the knee injury. Before that he looked to be legit.

Nilsson - Washed out

Koskinen - Washed out

Rosen - hahahahaha

McAdam - not looking good

Williams - Not looking good

Sorokin and Soderstrom we will know in about 4 years. Who knows he may get lucky.

I'll defend the Poulin and Nilsson picks forever. Both guys were legit until injury (Poulin) and whatever the hell Nilsson dealt with that ended one of his seasons.

The rest were all terrible picks, particularly Koskinen, since you really can't miss that badly with the first pick of the second round. That pick is littered with "oh we could have had that other guy" alternatives, including the better goaltender (Lehner).

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'll defend the Poulin and Nilsson picks forever. Both guys were legit until injury (Poulin) and whatever the hell Nilsson dealt with that ended one of his seasons.

The rest were all terrible picks, particularly Koskinen, since you really can't miss that badly with the first pick of the second round. That pick is littered with "oh we could have had that other guy" alternatives, including the better goaltender (Lehner).

Your right about the Nilsson injury I completely forgot about that. Still thought Lehner was the obvious pick. Especially over a guy that didn't get drafted at all the year prior.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Haven't seen him at all, just going by what others are saying and his draft position (which was admittedly inflated because Garth was dumb).

Actually, I remember ISS rated McAdam as the 3rd best goalie in the 2013 draft. So he was pretty highly rated, a 3rd round pick for him wasn't such a terrible pick for him. Just thought we could've gotten better value in the 3rd round. I think Buchnevich at that spot (70th overall) would have been a steal, and then McAdam at 75 (he probably would've still been there). No need to waste a pick on Camarrata.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Kyle Burroughs and VCR have been returned to junior.
Plymouth opens their season Friday at London, Regina, who lost their first two games plays at Moose Jaw Friday.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I disagree, really liked what I saw from him in the rookie scrimmages. He's a battler with good size and lateral movement. Had a terrible freshman year at Penn State, but it was their first year ever playing hockey, and that whole team was terrible.

Wouldn't that be considered several giant hurdles for his development?

I never asked this before but wtf is he doing at Penn state to develop his potential multi million dollar career? That is like choosing Nashville Community College over Stanford when you want to be a Dr...who is giving this kid advice? Even Wang would get this one right.

scott99

May 13, 2005

I never asked this before but wtf is he doing at Penn state to develop his potential multi million dollar career? That is like choosing Nashville Community College over Stanford when you want to be a Dr...who is giving this kid advice? Even Wang would get this one right.

Only he can answer that. I'm assuming they pursued him hard. Also being from Pennsylvania,probably most kids growing up love Penn State. Also his sister went to Penn State. Maybe he wants a good education also.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Only he can answer that. I'm assuming they pursued him hard. Also being from Pennsylvania,probably most kids growing up love Penn State. Also his sister went to Penn State. Maybe he wants a good education also.

LOL at you knowing where his sister went.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004

Maybe he was promised more playing time than at other schools where he got an offer?

scott99

May 13, 2005
LOL at you knowing where his sister went.

It's in his Penn State bio. I looked it up because I was pretty sure he was born in Pennsylvania, and there was that note about his sister attending Penn State.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
September 25 KHL
Metallurg 2, AK Bars 1 (SO)
Ilya Sorokin, 32 saves, 33 shots
Anders Nilsson 31 saves, 32 shots
Kiril Petrov, 1 goal :amazed:

Wow, not bad, thanks Rex.

I just realized we can use Nilsson as a bar to measure Sorokin. Nilsson is posting .916 on a better team, compared to Sorokin who is posting .937.

Way to go, Sorokin.

scott99

May 13, 2005
You know, it was kinda weird, on draft day (day 2 actually), I was really happy we drafted Sorokin, though he really wasn't in any draft guides. My uncle (a Ranger's fan) said, why would they pick him when he wasn't really rated that high. But I remember, a few weeks before the draft, reading an article about Sorokin, as well as I think someone who follows European Hockey (Chapin maybe ?) had us drafting him in one of his 7 round mocks. They were really high on him. So though some highly rated NA goalies were available, I was really happy with this pick and the Soderstrom pick. I just wanted us to draft some goalies in rounds 3 and 4, and was really happy with Snow and the scouting staff for realizing our goaltending prospects was really a weak spot.

I can't believe how well Sorokin is playing in that league, it's kind of mind boggling how he is performing for a team that most experts thought was going to be terrible. He is a major reason why they are doing so well. Kudos to Snow and company for picking him (and Soderstrom), and I never praise Snow.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Wow, not bad, thanks Rex.

I just realized we can use Nilsson as a bar to measure Sorokin. Nilsson is posting .916 on a better team, compared to Sorokin who is posting .937.

Way to go, Sorokin.

That is one way to compare Charlie, also see how Sorokin!s save percentage is versus the league avarage. Very impressive for a kid in the KHL.
They have the highlights on the KHL web site, both goalies were excellent, from the highlights the game was very physical and nasty.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
That is one way to compare Charlie, also see how Sorokin!s save percentage is versus the league avarage. Very impressive for a kid in the KHL.
They have the highlights on the KHL web site, both goalies were excellent, from the highlights the game was very physical and nasty.

True, very true. But it's hard for me to know how a .937 KHL Sv% will convert to NHL. I know some goalies put up some great numbers in the KHL, then they bomb in NHL. So I guess what I'm saing is that we know Nilsson, and we know he wasn't good enough to cut it in the NHL (as of last year). So Sorokin needs to perform better than him if we are to expect him to do well in the NHL.

Of course that assumes Nilsson is not improving.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
True, very true. But it's hard for me to know how a .937 KHL Sv% will convert to NHL. I know some goalies put up some great numbers in the KHL, then they bomb in NHL. So I guess what I'm saing is that we know Nilsson, and we know he wasn't good enough to cut it in the NHL (as of last year). So Sorokin needs to perform better than him if we are to expect him to do well in the NHL.

Of course that assumes Nilsson is not improving.

Still very early of course, from the few highlights, the way he moves and quickness are impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad