Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
For your viewing pleasure if you need to see a little hockey this afternoon.
NHL Network is replaying the Prospects Games at 3 PM, a chance to see JHS and MDC.

I remember watching it live (still have it on my DVR), and out of all the prospects, I was impressed with Dal Colle the most (you can see my comments in the 2014 Draft Thread). Funny how things work out once in a while.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
For your viewing pleasure if you need to see a little hockey this afternoon.
NHL Network is replaying the Prospects Games at 3 PM, a chance to see JHS and MDC.

The JHS thread on the Prospects board is just hysterical. Everyone and their mother is calling this kid a selfish, me first player.

Yet here he is in this prospects game against the best his class has to offer and instead of showing off he's creating space and dishing the puck like JT.

Think we got a gem here.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The JHS thread on the Prospects board is just hysterical. Everyone and their mother is calling this kid a selfish, me first player.

I think the "selfishness" comments come from to many times trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone all by himself

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Yet here he is in this prospects game against the best his class has to offer and instead of showing off he's creating space and dishing the puck like JT.

Think we got a gem here.

Just watched a good portion of the game kind of to refresh the memory and saw the same thing. Judging JHS like any other player, he was one of the best on the ice and looked like a top five pick.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
A few of the guys thought I was on the west coast and got sick, Did get some altitude sickness which is normal at high elevations. On the volcanoes we were gathering rock and lava samples, measuring gas emissions, teaching the local geologists how to better monitor the volcanoes

Looking up Jeju Island, looks like an amazing place with the Hallasan volcano. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeju is amazing. It's a really nice Island off to the south of the Peninsula of Korea. Everyone goes there for vacation. That is where those high school children were headed when that ferry sank off the coast.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Jeju is amazing. It's a really nice Island off to the south of the Peninsula of Korea. Everyone goes there for vacation. That is where those high school children were headed when that ferry sank off the coast.

Have you ever been there, the pictures are awesome. Going to read up on the geology of the island, from the pictures, Hallasan is a shield volcano similar to the ones Hawaii. Read that there are lava tubes, saw another picture of a tuff cone similar to Diamond Head. The geological forces under the island may be completely different from Hawaii, should be interesting to do a little research.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Have you ever been there, the pictures are awesome. Going to read up on the geology of the island, from the pictures, Hallasan is a shield volcano similar to the ones Hawaii. Read that there are lava tubes, saw another picture of a tuff cone similar to Diamond Head. The geological forces under the island may be completely different from Hawaii, should be interesting to do a little research.

I've been to both Hawaii and Jeju Island, but my knowledge of volcanoes is slim to none. I just know the Island makeups are similar, but as far as the volcano stuff it would be silly for me to even fathom a guess lol. I really enjoyed the Hawaiian National Volcano Park trip but I'm sure you've seen much more of it than was possible for me to see.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Whenever concern is raised over a persons character, I always look to how the person is received by his team mates. Kabanov had a history of having a damaged relationship with his coaches and team mates. JHS has none of that baggage it seems.

I will also say this. I does not surprise me in the least that people are focusing on JHS, and giving Anthony DeAngelo a free ride.... a person that not once, but twice had an incident directly with a team mate.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
we all wish that JHS does well, or we wouldn't be Isles fans.

but we can't deny that we got a top 5 skilled player, at the 28th spot, for a reason. 27 professional teams, at the highest level in the world, passed on him. i would think that this alone, would leave most of us in a state of quandry.

but whatever...

there are red flags, but that doesn't mean that he will be a bust.

we all hope that he doesn't turn out like that Bailey kid, who is as useless as teet on a bull, and should be packaged with our 1st in 2016, for more 4th line depth... :sarcasm:

scott99

May 13, 2005
we all wish that JHS does well, or we wouldn't be Isles fans.

but we can't deny that we got a top 5 skilled player, at the 28th spot, for a reason. 27 professional teams, at the highest level in the world, passed on him. i would think that this alone, would leave most of us in a state of quandry.

but whatever...

there are red flags, but that doesn't mean that he will be a bust.

we all hope that he doesn't turn out like that Bailey kid, who is as useless as teet on a bull, and should be packaged with our 1st in 2016, for more 4th line depth... :sarcasm:

I don't think Bailey was ever thought of to have high end offensive talent. I even remember reading the Hockey News Draft Guide, and they said something to the matter of "don't expect Bailey to produce like he did in the OHL". He benefitted playing next to Taylor Hall.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Bailey was ever thought of to have high end offensive talent. I even remember reading the Hockey News Draft Guide, and they said something to the matter of "don't expect Bailey to produce like he did in the OHL". He benefitted playing next to Taylor Hall.

i remember thinking that he could be a solid 2nd liner. 50 points, good two way, decent leader... i wasn't thrilled with the pick, but after the top 4 of Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, and Pietrangelo, i really did not know who i wanted. i was thinking Hodgson, but wasn't upset that we got Bailey instead.

wonder if we offered Winterpeg Bailey and a pick, if we can pry Bogosian from them. he could be just what the doctor ordered for us. Bailey can slide into their 2nd RW position, allowing them to drop Byfuglien back.

hmmmm..... a couple of beers, and i think i'm playing EA Sports, lol

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
i remember thinking that he could be a solid 2nd liner. 50 points, good two way, decent leader... i wasn't thrilled with the pick, but after the top 4 of Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, and Pietrangelo, i really did not know who i wanted. i was thinking Hodgson, but wasn't upset that we got Bailey instead.

wonder if we offered Winterpeg Bailey and a pick, if we can pry Bogosian from them. he could be just what the doctor ordered for us. Bailey can slide into their 2nd RW position, allowing them to drop Byfuglien back.

hmmmm..... a couple of beers, and i think i'm playing EA Sports, lol

Karlsson, Hodgson, Gardiner, Eberle, Carlson.

Honestly, screw Bailey.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

We really should play him next to Tavares, then.:laugh:

I still love the pass to Bailey in front and Bailey.....passes it rather than tip it into a gaping net.:laugh:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Of the bunch only Hodgson was rated to got in that area. If you want a guy who was rated to go in that area who we missed I would say Myers or on the flip side Kyle Beach

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

Honestly, screw Bailey.

are you saying that you wanted to take those guys over Bailey, on the day of the draft?

asset management is priority munber one for GM's. giving away Bailey is not smart asset management.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Honestly, screw Bailey.

I believe ONLY Hodgson was rated higher than Bailey at that point. I think we would have screamed that we reached if we had picked Karlsson or Eberle at that point, though I wish to God we had.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
This was posted in the Sorokin thread, re-posting here in the prospects section,looked up stats on KHL site.
Ilya Sorokin made 37 saves as Metallurg won 1-0 over Avangard in the opening of the KHL season.
The KHL has an English web site, there are game highlights already available.

en.khl.ru/calendar/

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
This was posted in the Sorokin thread, re-posting here in the prospects section,looked up stats on KHL site.
Ilya Sorokin made 37 saves as Metallurg won 1-0 over Avangard in the opening of the KHL season.
The KHL has an English web site, there are game highlights already available.

en.khl.ru/calendar/

Rex, you are amazing ! Even scanning the globe to find us info. I'm very high on Sorokin, I'm hoping he's the starting goalie for Russia's World Junior Team in December/January. Saw him play in August in a pre junior championship against teams from Czech Republic, Sweden and Canada. Mixed results, looked good most of the time, but it looks like he needs to work on his glove, seems like most goals were over his glove, was pulled in the last game after the first period for a guy who is eligible in the 2015 draft.

But man, if he continues to shine against men, Snow/and or whoever is our GM in 2017, needs to get him over here the minute his contract expires in the KHL. Don't need a repeat of Petrov.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
I believe ONLY Hodgson was rated higher than Bailey at that point. I think we would have screamed that we reached if we had picked Karlsson or Eberle at that point, though I wish to God we had.

At the time, many people were worried we'd go wild card and grab Tyler Myers. Similarly, many people (myself included) were hoping and expecting they'd take Filatov with the 5th pick.

As fans we have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight. It's really easy to say we should have grabbed a Karlsson or an Eberle looking back but those players were not on anyone's radar for 5 or 9 back then. Just a year later we had people complaining that we traded up so high to get deHaan when we supposedly could have waited. Maybe we could have, but can you imagine the comments we'd have on here if we'd ended up with someone who doesn't seem to be on the right track?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
At the time, many people were worried we'd go wild card and grab Tyler Myers.

Myers wouldn't have been a reach, basically when the Islanders picked 9th Hodgson, Myers and Beach would have been the expected pick, Bailey was just slightly after that group

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Myers wouldn't have been a reach, basically when the Islanders picked 9th Hodgson, Myers and Beach would have been the expected pick, Bailey was just slightly after that group

We had the 5th pick going into the draft. Talk on this board at the time was concern over the Islanders going for Myers.

Hindsight says Myers at 5 would have still been a solid pick while Filatov... not so much.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Rex, you are amazing ! Even scanning the globe to find us info. I'm very high on Sorokin, I'm hoping he's the starting goalie for Russia's World Junior Team in December/January. Saw him play in August in a pre junior championship against teams from Czech Republic, Sweden and Canada. Mixed results, looked good most of the time, but it looks like he needs to work on his glove, seems like most goals were over his glove, was pulled in the last game after the first period for a guy who is eligible in the 2015 draft.

But man, if he continues to shine against men, Snow/and or whoever is our GM in 2017, needs to get him over here the minute his contract expires in the KHL. Don't need a repeat of Petrov.

Thanks again Scott, at least with Halak and Johnson, the Islanders should be in decent shape the next few seasons. Need to finally develop some real goalie prospects, hope at least one of Sorokin and Soderstrom steps up. Our boys from last year may be burried on the bench again, McAdam and Williams still have the other goalies ahead of them.

Windsor is playing Plymouth in an OHL pre season game tonight, both Ho-Sang and VCR are supposed to play. Will check at game time if there is a broadcast.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thanks again Scott, at least with Halak and Johnson, the Islanders should be in decent shape the next few seasons. Need to finally develop some real goalie prospects, hope at least one of Sorokin and Soderstrom steps up. Our boys from last year may be burried on the bench again, McAdam and Williams still have the other goalies ahead of them.

Windsor is playing Plymouth in an OHL pre season game tonight, both Ho-Sang and VCR are supposed to play. Will check at game time if there is a broadcast.

After watching McAdam in the rookie scrimmage, I actually have hope for him, he looked like the best goalie in the scrimmage. Big kid with good quickness. Williams surprised me too, played pretty well. I have more hope for McAdam though. Soderstom looked pretty good too.

What Sorokin is doing over in the KHL is very impressive, considering he's 19, and playing on a bad team (well, they were bad last year).

Rex, do you think JHS will be in the islander's training camp ? Is it normal for 1st round picks to play in junior exhibition games, or do you think he's been told already that he's spending this year in the OHL ?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
After watching McAdam in the rookie scrimmage, I actually have hope for him, he looked like the best goalie in the scrimmage. Big kid with good quickness. Williams surprised me too, played pretty well. I have more hope for McAdam though. Soderstom looked pretty good too.

What Sorokin is doing over in the KHL is very impressive, considering he's 19, and playing on a bad team (well, they were bad last year).

Rex, do you think JHS will be in the islander's training camp ? Is it normal for 1st round picks to play in junior exhibition games, or do you think he's been told already that he's spending this year in the OHL ?

JHS should be at camp, the other day when Regina was playing the announcer said that Burroughs would be going to Islanders camp. Oshawa is playing tomorrow night, have to see if MDC plays.

Looking at the highlights, Sorokin looked pretty good, liked the quickness and the way he moved.
Again with McAdam, the worst thing is he is not going to play much again unless the number one at Penn State gets injured.

Finally good that Collberg is coming over. Do not know if he will be ready to start the season after the shoulder injury but whenever he is ready, he will get a lot of time with Bridgeport then we can see what he has.

scott99

May 13, 2005
JHS should be at camp, the other day when Regina was playing the announcer said that Burroughs would be going to Islanders camp. Oshawa is playing tomorrow night, have to see if MDC plays.

Looking at the highlights, Sorokin looked pretty good, liked the quickness and the way he moved.
Again with McAdam, the worst thing is he is not going to play much again unless the number one at Penn State gets injured.

Finally good that Collberg is coming over. Do not know if he will be ready to start the season after the shoulder injury but whenever he is ready, he will get a lot of time with Bridgeport then we can see what he has.

It would be nice to see Collberg playing with Sundstrom, whom I'm assuming will be the #1 center for Bridgeport. They may have not played on the same line at the 2012 WJHCs, but they were on the same Gold Medal winning team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad