Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What does everyone think of Jack Skille? I know we have too many forwards, but I have a strange feeling he impresses at camp and makes this roster.

AHL depth.

I don't think he sees time with the Islanders unless a considerable amount of injuries occur.

Suurikelmi

Dec 3, 2012
Looks like Pokka will stay in Finland this year as he is listed on Kärpät's website for their next season's roster

Interview from yesterday says otherwise:
"I'll play up(NHL) or down(AHL). The idea is not to come back(to Finland). But if it happened otherwise, it would be easy to return to Kärpät."
Other points:
-Has asked about NA stuff from Jussi Jokinen, Pekka Rinne and Kärpät NA players.
-Hasn't been to Kärpät preseason games to avoid injuries.
-Has lost some fat and weight. "I look more like an athlete now"
-Will try to use his strenght in NA - offensive game.
-He's a high school dropout
-Girlfriend will move to NA with him.
-Will be living in hotel until its clear where he will play, then will rent an apartment.

In Finnish: http://www.forum24.fi/uutiset/takaisin-ei-tarvitse-tulla

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
"I'll play up(NHL) or down(AHL). The idea is not to come back(to Finland). But if it happened otherwise, it would be easy to return to Kärpät."
Other points:
-Has asked about NA stuff from Jussi Jokinen, Pekka Rinne and Kärpät NA players.
-Will be living in hotel until its clear where he will play, then will rent an apartment.

Thanks for posting and translating this. I had assumed Pokka would be remaining in Finland, but I'm happy he'll be here in North America. He'll have the chance to adjust to North American rinks at the AHL level, which could help him whenever he gets called up to the Islanders. He'll also give us another option on defense, either if he makes the team out of training camp (unlikely but not impossible) or gets called up during the season. The fact he has a right-handed shot would give the Islanders some balance among their defensive corps and therefore might increase his chances of making the team at some point. And the internal competition for roster spots can only be good...the more defenseman in the mix, the more likely we'll be able to put together a solid group.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Other points:

seems to have a very good attitude. i think that his best option is Karpat, but if Snow were to make a trade, using a D prospect or two, that would open up a spot here for him.

good to see that he lost his baby fat.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Very excited if the Pokka news is true. Considering the competition that he was playing against, he had a better year than Reinart last year IMO. If he looks the part in camp...

CDH/Hamonic
Viz/Reinhart
Hickey/Pokka

with Strait/Czurchmen/Donovan as depth isn't the worst thing ever (although unproven and young) and has some upside.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thanks for posting and translating this. I had assumed Pokka would be remaining in Finland, but I'm happy he'll be here in North America. He'll have the chance to adjust to North American rinks at the AHL level, which could help him whenever he gets called up to the Islanders. He'll also give us another option on defense, either if he makes the team out of training camp (unlikely but not impossible) or gets called up during the season. The fact he has a right-handed shot would give the Islanders some balance among their defensive corps and therefore might increase his chances of making the team at some point. And the internal competition for roster spots can only be good...the more defenseman in the mix, the more likely we'll be able to put together a solid group.

Man, Bridgeport's defense is gonna be stacked. Pedan, Mayfield, Pelech, Pokka, Pulock and/or Czuczman/Reinhart.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
That is going to be a treat watching Bridgeport's young defenseman when they play some road games up here where I am. Was checking the AHL schedule and a little surprised that it hasn't come out yet, should be available any day.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I could be wrong but I thought Pokka was on record that its either NHL or Europe for him?

can anyone clear this up? Would love him in Bport to start the year.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
That is going to be a treat watching Bridgeport's young defenseman when they play some road games up here where I am. Was checking the AHL schedule and a little surprised that it hasn't come out yet, should be available any day.

I'm thinking about making a trip to Albany to see the Sound Tigers play the Devils, but I can't make any plans until the schedule is online.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Anyone know why Connor Graham is on our NHL roster?

He attended mini-camp. I assume he is a training camp invite, since he's on the roster.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Anyone know why Connor Graham is on our NHL roster?

He attended mini-camp. I assume he is a training camp invite, since he's on the roster.

the isles always do things like this. I forget who it was but last year someone was on the roster/teampage before the team announced it.

Edit: I assume you mean Jesse Graham? Hes one of our draft picks and when the Isles start camp they usually list all the pro players on the roster until cuts are made and camp is divided into NHL and AHL.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
the isles always do things like this. I forget who it was but last year someone was on the roster/teampage before the team announced it.

Edit: I assume you mean Jesse Graham? Hes one of our draft picks and when the Isles start camp they usually list all the pro players on the roster until cuts are made and camp is divided into NHL and AHL.

Nope, Connor.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8478238

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I could be wrong but I thought Pokka was on record that its either NHL or Europe for him?

can anyone clear this up? Would love him in Bport to start the year.

I think I read/heard that, too. Perhaps, he has changed his mind since the more recent quote has him interested in staying in NA.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Connor is an undrafted player that skipped a season and a half playing in Europe for the Salzburg Red Bulls.

I smell something very Wang-like though. Connor was a former team mate of McDavid (minor midget) as well. They might use him (depending on their relationship previously), to try to woo McDavid..well....that's just my conspiracy theory.

I also think he might be displaying what we look for in work ethic and character.

"Graham was drafted into the OHL by Saginaw in the sixth round of the 2012 draft, but was unable to crack the Spirit roster as a 16-year old.

Instead of leaving Canada to play in the United States, he took an opportunity to head overseas."

http://ottawa67s.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/connor-graham-adapting-to-major-junior.html

We need leadership at all levels, so I think this is the main reason why we invited him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is that strange? Maybe this is just a stereotype, but I've always thought that education was extremely important in Finland.

Maybe he has something that's equivalent to GED? I know he was in the Military because all men are obligated to do so.

Anyway, great to see him committing to NA.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Connor is an undrafted player that skipped a season and a half playing in Europe for the Salzburg Red Bulls.

I smell something very Wang-like though. Connor was a former team mate of McDavid (minor midget) as well. They might use him (depending on their relationship previously), to try to woo McDavid..well....that's just my conspiracy theory.

I also think he might be displaying what we look for in work ethic and character.

"Graham was drafted into the OHL by Saginaw in the sixth round of the 2012 draft, but was unable to crack the Spirit roster as a 16-year old.

Instead of leaving Canada to play in the United States, he took an opportunity to head overseas."

http://ottawa67s.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/connor-graham-adapting-to-major-junior.html

We need leadership at all levels, so I think this is the main reason why we invited him.
That's impossible. We don't even have a 1st rounder next year.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is that strange? Maybe this is just a stereotype, but I've always thought that education was extremely important in Finland.

Nah happens all the time with pro level athletes(Barkov, Honka, Ristolainen, Kapanen to name a few recent ones). Finnish school ends at age 16 (9 grades total). After that you can continue to high school or vocational school (3 years both) High school here is pretty easy but you actually have to attend classes 5 times a week for 6-8 hours per day, which can be pretty hard for hockey players.

As for the topic, Kärpät has serious need for defenders so I think they have counted on Pokka coming back. But I feel AHL would be better for him as he is pretty soft so he could add some toughness and improve his skating.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nah happens all the time with pro level athletes(Barkov, Honka, Ristolainen, Kapanen to name a few recent ones). Finnish school ends at age 16 (9 grades total). After that you can continue to high school or vocational school (3 years both) High school here is pretty easy but you actually have to attend classes 5 times a week for 6-8 hours per day, which can be pretty hard for hockey players.

As for the topic, Kärpät has serious need for defenders so I think they have counted on Pokka coming back. But I feel AHL would be better for him as he is pretty soft so he could add some toughness and improve his skating.

I'm assuming you've seen Pokka a lot more than most of us around here.

Do you think his skating will look better on smaller ice? From what I've gathered, his smarts are what make him a good defenseman at both ends of the ice. It's possible that on smaller ice he will be able to rely less on his skating and more on his positioning.

We'll see.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I'm assuming you've seen Pokka a lot more than most of us around here.

Do you think his skating will look better on smaller ice? From what I've gathered, his smarts are what make him a good defenseman at both ends of the ice. It's possible that on smaller ice he will be able to rely less on his skating and more on his positioning.

We'll see.

His backwards skating and lateral moment is fine but his strait line skating is pretty average. Needs to improve that to be more effective on puck moving and better at getting back defense.

Hard to say how his defensive smarts will translate to smaller ice. He is never out of the position and pokes the puck away with ease, but his lack of physical game is a concern.

I think he might have some trouble with the pace at the start as he likes to hold on to the puck way too long and try fancy passes and dekes on his own zone, that will get him destroyed with hits on NA ice.

Needs at least 1,5 seasons in AHL unless he has done something major with his skating during the summer.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
His backwards skating and lateral moment is fine but his strait line skating is pretty average. Needs to improve that to be more effective on puck moving and better at getting back defense.

Hard to say how his defensive smarts will translate to smaller ice. He is never out of the position and pokes the puck away with ease, but his lack of physical game is a concern.

I think he might have some trouble with the pace at the start as he likes to hold on to the puck way too long and try fancy passes and dekes on his own zone, that will get him destroyed with hits on NA ice.

Needs at least 1,5 seasons in AHL unless he has done something major with his skating during the summer.

and pom poms stop waving...

:laugh:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Finnish Liiga ice is about half between international and NHL size so the transition will not be so great. Also, they hit a lot in that league, so no surprise there. He could use a season in Bridgeport to get a feel for the pace and intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad