Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Cammarata was cut from the US WJC development team. Great pick Garth !!

He was a 3rd round pick. And he's not a guy who is going to fill a bottom 6 role. So if a 3rd round pick doesn't make a WJC roster in a top 6 role (or any role), that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. He might in fact have been a bad pick, but this isn't evidence of that.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He was a 3rd round pick. And he's not a guy who is going to fill a bottom 6 role. So if a 3rd round pick doesn't make a WJC roster in a top 6 role (or any role), that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. He might in fact have been a bad pick, but this isn't evidence of that.

It speaks to his talent level, or lack thereof. he was rated as a 5th round pick, and taken in the 3rd round, so he wasn't highly thought of for a reason.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sorokin is getting hammered by the Canadians, gave up 3 goals in the 2nd period including a goal with 3 seconds left. Canada had 23 shots in the 2nd period to blow it open. If they don't win gold this year there should be an investigation. SO much talent on that team, they are just toying with the Russians.

Sorokin has been beaten glove side several times, might be his weakness.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It speaks to his talent level, or lack thereof. he was rated as a 5th round pick, and taken in the 3rd round, so he wasn't highly thought of for a reason.

It could speak to nothing. USA is a lot harder team to make these days than it was 10 years ago. Just ask KO.

As far as draft grades go, I'm surprised that you buy in to that **** as much as you do. de Haan was graded as a late 1st and went 12th - now there are probably only 5 or 6 guys from that draft that I would take for sure over him. Hamonic was graded as a 3rd/4th at best and we took him in the 2nd. Now he's probably one of the top-20 guys taken from that draft.

Could we have gotten either of those guys later and managed to grab an extra B or C prospect in the process? Maybe. If you could go back and do things differently, would you even risk it?

Regardless of where Cammarata was rated, the Isles liked him in the 3rd and didn't wanna risk missing out on him. Teams make picks like that all the time.

As far as Cammy himself, he's coming off a solid freshman year and should get more minutes next year. He's tiny, but guys like that seem to be having more success breaking in as legit prospects these days. Considering what he's done, where he was drafted, and what comparable prospects have been doing - I see no reason to sour on this kid yet. Especially not for being cut by his WJC team.

Have a little patience Scotty. Let some time play out. Maybe he'll surprise you.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

The only thing it speaks of is the fact that you will harp on any reason to criticize a draft pick.

There were 8 Americans drafted in the third round in 2013. Only 2 were invited to the evaluation camp and only 1 made the team.

There were 53 Americans drafted in 2013. 64 were drafted in 2014. There are 23 players from those teams on the roster.

He was a third round pick. He wasn't expected to be an elite prospect one year after the draft. Yet you seem to think that if he isn't the best of the best he's a bust. So I guess Anders Lee is a bust. Never made a WJ team, so he must be terrible. After all, it speaks to his lack of talent.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The only thing it speaks of is the fact that you will harp on any reason to criticize a draft pick.

There were 8 Americans drafted in the third round in 2013. Only 2 were invited to the evaluation camp and only 1 made the team.

There were 53 Americans drafted in 2013. 64 were drafted in 2014. There are 23 players from those teams on the roster.

He was a third round pick. He wasn't expected to be an elite prospect one year after the draft. Yet you seem to think that if he isn't the best of the best he's a bust. So I guess Anders Lee is a bust. Never made a WJ team, so he must be terrible. After all, it speaks to his lack of talent.

I stand corrected, you made me see the light.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Corey Pronman released his top 100 prospects list and apparently the islanders have 7.

9. Dal Colle
20. Griffin Reinhart
41. Ville Pokka
75. Sebastian Collberg
82. Ryan Pulock
84. Josh Ho-Sang
93. Adam Pelech

Absolutely shocked how far Pulock fell from last years list (24!!!) and good to see Dal Colle in the top ten.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looks like Pokka will stay in Finland this year as he is listed on Kärpät's website for their next season's roster

There is also some reports saying that he has worked out really hard and lost most of his baby fat.

I think he is still planning to come to the training camp though and try to get a NHL spot.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Looks like Pokka will stay in Finland this year as he is listed on Kärpät's website for their next season's roster

There is also some reports saying that he has worked out really hard and lost most of his baby fat.

I think he is still planning to come to the training camp though and try to get a NHL spot.

thanks for the update. i think this pretty much confirms what most of us were expecting...isles or back to karpat, and i think most of us will agree that although we'd prefer him in bridgeport, another year in finland can only be good for his development.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Corey Pronman released his top 100 prospects list and apparently the islanders have 7.

9. Dal Colle
20. Griffin Reinhart
41. Ville Pokka
75. Sebastian Collberg
82. Ryan Pulock
84. Josh Ho-Sang
93. Adam Pelech

Absolutely shocked how far Pulock fell from last years list (24!!!) and good to see Dal Colle in the top ten.

Wow, Collberg ahead of Pulock?! That is a shocker, at least to me. That said, if Collberg ends up being a better pro than Pulock, who I think will be a solid NHLer and PP guy, then the Isles are in terrific shape. So we have that going for us. :)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Most upside is def Dal Colle and Ho-Sang but for the isles as it stands today I would have Griff as our top prospect. Im not even going to touch the pulock placement. Much rather pretend I didn't see it.

side note- I was wondering why Dal Colle and/or HoSang have not signed their ELC's yet? I know theres no rush and no worry because they most likely wont be in the NHL for awhile but most teams reward their first rounders with an ELC.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Most upside is def Dal Colle and Ho-Sang but for the isles as it stands today I would have Griff as our top prospect. Im not even going to touch the pulock placement. Much rather pretend I didn't see it.

side note- I was wondering why Dal Colle and/or HoSang have not signed their ELC's yet? I know theres no rush and no worry because they most likely wont be in the NHL for awhile but most teams reward their first rounders with an ELC.

Ownership issues. :sarcasm:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I pointed out in another thread that in the newest edition of The Hockey News they listed our too ten prospects and had Linus Soderstrom in there at number 9... Was more than a bit surprised at that.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK

I would guess it´s because Isles are almost at the 50 contract limit...

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

Ownership issues. :sarcasm:

Easy answer is number of contracts. We are at 48 of 50. Would limit trades and player movement needed during the season. Also they have 2 years to sign a contract.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

9. Dal Colle
20. Griffin Reinhart
41. Ville Pokka
75. Sebastian Collberg
82. Ryan Pulock
84. Josh Ho-Sang
93. Adam Pelech

24 was likely too generous for Pulock.... 82 is a bit of an over correction though IMO. My only real beef with this list is that Cory puts a lot of stock into the most recent draft class, and as a result some more established players from last year have moved drastically, which really doesn't make sense IMO.

BroadwayJay*

24 was likely too generous for Pulock.... 82 is a bit of an over correction though IMO. My only real beef with this list is that Cory puts a lot of stock into the most recent draft class, and as a result some more established players from last year have moved drastically, which really doesn't make sense IMO.

His graduation rules are pretty strict so this shouldn't be TOO surprising.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Personally, I think Pronman put way too big of a slant on the 2014 draftees. They dominate the list, especially the top half.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Personally, I think Pronman put way too big of a slant on the 2014 draftees. They dominate the list, especially the top half.

I agree with you on that, 2014 got favored way too much.

He does have us as the number 3 prospect pool in the league though which is surprising considering our lack of F depth and our goalie position.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I agree with you on that, 2014 got favored way too much.

He does have us as the number 3 prospect pool in the league though which is surprising considering our lack of F depth and our goalie position.

Strome and Lee are still considered rookies (37 and 24 games), so i guess it's not that far off. and i personally think that our goaltending depth is not that bad. we all know that they are hard to predict, and we have a bunch of young tenders. lots of time for them to develop.

i do agree that he seems to favor the 2014's a bit higher than i would.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

9. Dal Colle
20. Griffin Reinhart
41. Ville Pokka
75. Sebastian Collberg
82. Ryan Pulock
84. Josh Ho-Sang
93. Adam Pelech

We are in great shape on the farm. Its amazing that they have 7 guys listed, especially when we just graduated Strome, Nelson, Dehaan, and Lee, all of which would make the list, and the first 3 would be top 50.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
We are in great shape on the farm. Its amazing that they have 7 guys listed, especially when we just graduated Strome, Nelson, Dehaan, and Lee, all of which would make the list, and the first 3 would be top 50.

Lee would technically still be eligible for this list. I'd imagine that he was omitted by accident - have a hard time believing that he wouldn't crack the top-100 prospect list.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lee would technically still be eligible for this list. I'd imagine that he was omitted by accident - have a hard time believing that he wouldn't crack the top-100 prospect list.

Lee has 2 strikes against him when it comes to prospect lists.

1) He is 24

2) he is a 6th round pick

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
What does everyone think of Jack Skille? I know we have too many forwards, but I have a strange feeling he impresses at camp and makes this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad