Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Except Hall is objectively a great player. Can't really make that argument for Tyler Meyers and Drew freaking Stafford. I don't see those guys as particularly big upgrades for the Oilers.

Stafford, no, but Myers is a legit top pairing D man (by no means elite, but solid top pairing guy). He really got derailed by injuries the last 2 years, but has looked very good in the games I have seen this year. If anyone watched the 2011 1st round series against the Flyers, they know what level Myers can play at. They took a much better Flyers team to 7 games and it was basically a two man show - Miller and Myers. I've watched about 4 games this year that Myers played and it looked like he has every bit of mobility back (from the leg injury).

He may not be on Hall's level, but he'd be in the conversation for 2nd/3rd best player on the team. I agree that I wouldn't trade the pick if Ekblad were available though. If I thought we'd take Bennett I wouldn't trade it either, but with rumblings suggesting MacT wants Draisaitl, I would definitely trade the pick for Myers.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Personally I'm not interested. Especially if Bennett is still on the board.

We need a #2 centre more than we need a d-man with a bad contract that may never figure things out.

While I wouldn't call Myers contract a "bad contract", I can see your need for a #2 center as well.

I'm thinking you *must* get a high quality defenseman from somewhere though, no? And frankly, guys without some level of risk typically don't become available unless you're willing to move one of your key forwards, which you're understandably hesitant to do.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If your pick is #3, and you're fairly certain the team in #1/2 takes Ekblad, does Myers+Stewart/Stafford get your 1st in 2014 and a later round pick in 2015 (say 3rd)?

So:

Myers
Stafford/Stewart

for

Oilers 1st 2014
Oilers 3rd 2015

Given MacT seems to be leaning towards Draisaitl, I say yes. Any chance we could make it Foligno?

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
If your pick is #3, and you're fairly certain the team in #1/2 takes Ekblad, does Myers+Stewart/Stafford get your 1st in 2014 and a later round pick in 2015 (say 3rd)?

So:

Myers
Stafford/Stewart

for

Oilers 1st 2014
Oilers 3rd 2015

Oilers jump on that.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Any of the top 4 projected players fills a need going forward here we'd just have to wait for them to develop which is why trading the pick for an established top pairing guy or top 6 center should be in our interest. Myers is one of the better options out there given his age and potential. We're not getting Shea Weber so.. I think Myers would be a great fit here and he would speed things up. If Buffalo wants to add Stewart fine by me.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Stafford, no, but Myers is a legit top pairing D man (by no means elite, but solid top pairing guy). He really got derailed by injuries the last 2 years, but has looked very good in the games I have seen this year. If anyone watched the 2011 1st round series against the Flyers, they know what level Myers can play at. They took a much better Flyers team to 7 games and it was basically a two man show - Miller and Myers. I've watched about 4 games this year that Myers played and it looked like he has every bit of mobility back (from the leg injury).

Well, if it was Meyers for something like Gagner+, I'd consider it. Two guys with not great contracts needing a change of scenery, each meeting their new teams respective needs. Cool, fine. I balk when the talk is of Yak or the pick that could be Ekblad.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Well, if it was Meyers for something like Gagner+, I'd consider it. Two guys with not great contracts needing a change of scenery, each meeting their new teams respective needs. Cool, fine. I balk when the talk is of Yak or the pick that could be Ekblad.

Consider? :laugh:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

Just to point out, if TM traded Gagner for Myers I think he'd likely be fired on the spot. I'm not sure if you're being serious with that, but it's simply not realistic.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Let's say we end up with 3rd overall. Which deal do you take if it's being offered?

EDM: Tyler Myers, Chris Stewart
BUF: 3rd overall

EDM: Dustin Byfuglien, 9th overall (assuming they stay there)
WPG: 3rd overall

For me, it's BUF's but I can see more people saying WPG's deal.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yes I'm sure Buffalo would love to add Gagner. Who wouldn't want center depth of Gags, Ennis, Hodgson down the middle next year. :laugh: McDavid here we come.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Just to point out, if TM traded Gagner for Myers I think he'd likely be fired on the spot. I'm not sure if you're being serious with that, but it's simply not realistic.

It's a damn sight more realistic than Meyers for Yak/Eberle and our 1st. That's a vastly superior return than what the Blues got for EJ and I'd argue EJ then was no worse than Meyers now.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
It's a damn sight more realistic than Meyers for Yak/Eberle and our 1st. That's a vastly superior return than what the Blues got for EJ and I'd argue EJ then was no worse than Meyers now.

I see, perhaps I didn't read the post suggesting a 1st AND Yak/Eberle.

My proposal certainly did not.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
While I wouldn't call Myers contract a "bad contract", I can see your need for a #2 center as well.

I'm thinking you *must* get a high quality defenseman from somewhere though, no? And frankly, guys without some level of risk typically don't become available unless you're willing to move one of your key forwards, which you're understandably hesitant to do.

We could debate whether it's a bad contract and I agree that the Oilers absolutely need a 'high quality' d-man but I don't put Myers into that category.

Obviously there's a chance he could turn into that guy, but I'm not betting on it.

Last edited:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

So:

Myers
Stafford/Stewart

for

Oilers 1st 2014
Oilers 3rd 2015

Personally I'm not interested. Especially if Bennett is still on the board.

We need a #2 centre more than we need a d-man with a bad contract that may never figure things out.

I disagree.

I'd make that deal if Ekblad is off the table.

Getting a potential top 2 young defenceman with Myers upside and Stewart for the 2nd line without giving up any of our top 4-5 players....yep.

Waiting 3-4 years for another 18 year old center would be silly if that was our best option.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Let's say we end up with 3rd overall. Which deal do you take if it's being offered?

EDM: Tyler Myers, Chris Stewart
BUF: 3rd overall

EDM: Dustin Byfuglien, 9th overall (assuming they stay there)
WPG: 3rd overall

For me, it's BUF's but I can see more people saying WPG's deal.

If the Jets pick was 7th overall I'd do it. I would do it just because I believe Nick Ritchie is going to be a beast in the NHL. If we cant get Ekblad, I hope he's the guy we go after. I know some people may hate this but I could see something like this happening.

Oilers select Nick Ritchie 7th overall

To Phoenix:
Yakupov
Gagner

To Edmonton:
Gormley
Dauphin

We than trade our 2015 1st round pick, Klefbom and Eberle for Schenn and Simmonds
Sign- Stastny, Ott, Robidas, Moss,

2014-2015 Oilers

Hall-RNH-Simmonds
Perron-Stastny-Ott
Moss-Schenn-Ritchie
Gazdic-Gordon-Lander/Hendricks

Byfuglien-Gormley
Petry-J Schultz
Ference-Robidas

Scrivens
Fasth

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If the Jets pick was 7th overall I'd do it. I would do it just because I believe Nick Ritchie is going to be a beast in the NHL. If we cant get Ekblad, I hope he's the guy we go after. I know some people may hate this but I could see something like this happening.

Oilers select Nick Ritchie 7th overall

To Phoenix:
Yakupov
Gagner

To Edmonton:
Gormley
Dauphin

We than trade our 2015 1st round pick, Klefbom and Eberle for Schenn and Simmonds
Sign- Stastny, Ott, Robidas, Moss,

2014-2015 Oilers

Hall-RNH-Simmonds
Perron-Stastny-Ott
Moss-Schenn-Ritchie
Gazdic-Gordon-Lander/Hendricks

Byfuglien-Gormley
Petry-J Schultz
Ference-Robidas

Scrivens
Fasth

If the Oilers get Schenn, there is no point getting Stastny.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO we take Ekblad or one of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl or Ritchie. If Buffalo wants a forward for Myers and we are hot to trot on Myers then I could see us moving one of Nail, Eberle or Perron in a deal for him.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I disagree.

I'd make that deal if Ekblad is off the table.

Getting a potential top 2 young defenceman with Myers upside and Stewart for the 2nd line without giving up any of our top 4-5 players....yep.

Waiting 3-4 years for another 18 year old center would be silly if that was our best option.

Trading a possible first line centre for a defenseman who might only pan out to be a 2/3 defender with a bad contract is also silly.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Any of the top 4 projected players fills a need going forward here we'd just have to wait for them to develop which is why trading the pick for an established top pairing guy or top 6 center should be in our interest. Myers is one of the better options out there given his age and potential. We're not getting Shea Weber so.. I think Myers would be a great fit here and he would speed things up. If Buffalo wants to add Stewart fine by me.

Myers is not an established top pairing Dman. Too many question marks since his rookie season even though he has shown some signs of improvement this season. There's no way that i deal a top 4 pick for a maybe who also carries a big contract, no way.
Just like i doubt that any team would deal a top 4 pick for Yakupov at this juncture.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe there's a larger deal with the Jets available in the offseason?

To WGP: Eberle, Yakupov and Joensuu

To EDM: Kane, Byfuglien, Klingberg and a 2nd.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Maybe there's a larger deal with the Jets available in the offseason?

To WGP: Eberle, Yakupov and Joensuu

To EDM: Kane, Byfuglien, Klingberg and a 2nd.

Eberle for Buff, Jets fans seem agreeable on.

Yak for Kane they laugh their ***** off.

Which brings us to Joensuu. You keep harping on Foligno being worthless, yet you're suggesting JJ would have any trade value whatsoever? The Jets laugh their ***** of again, but first have to google Joensuu to find out who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad