Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
I don't think you trade either. Fact of the matter is, if we want a bona fide top pairing D, we'll probably have to do what most teams with such commodities do and grow our own. Our D pool is well stocked with prospects and if you have to make a trade today, it makes sense to me to trade from areas where you have organizational strength and not dip into a forward depth chart that is wafer thin.
Do you think we can win with Yak, Eberle, RNH in our top 6?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm thinking your expectations are a little high for a bunch of kids. Here is how they rate compared to their forward peers:

Gagner: 2nd in 2007 eligible scoring (Behind Kane)
Perron: 5th in 2007 eligible scoring
Eberle: 2nd in 2008 eligible scoring (Behind Stamkos)
Hall: 1st in 2010 eligible scoring
RNH: 2nd in 2011 eligible scoring (less games than Landeskog)
Yakupov: 1st in 2012 eligible scoring

As much as it sucks we need to be patient. Obviously we need to add some size but we can't give these kids away.

Great post.

I think we got spoiled seeing players like Crosby & Ovechkin in recent years dominate at a very young age, when in reality, this is not the norm in the NHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Speaking of ACTUAL top-pairing defensemen, Kris Letang.

Clearly has some serious health issues, but he appears to be making a solid recovery, if you're the Oilers and the price was right, worth the risk?

I'd be onboard honestly, I like the potential upside of a player like this.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Islanders are in an interesting situation. Keep their 1st which will be a pick in the top 6, or give it to Buffalo and deep their 1st in next years deep draft. I wonder if Snow decides to trade it at the draft in hopes of becoming better next year and limiting the damage from the Vanek debacle. I realize they probably have no need for Gagner but the Tavares connection is there. Would Gagner plus Klefbom be in the ballpark for pick 4-6? Would our 2015 1st plus Klefbom get it done? I would love to add Ekblad with our 1st, and adding a Ritchie or Virtanen type would be a dream come true for the top 6. It is damn near impossible to trade for those type of players once they are established in the NHL and they rarely make it to free agency. When they do they are no bargain- see David Clarckson.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Speaking of ACTUAL top-pairing defensemen, Kris Letang.

Clearly has some serious health issues, but he appears to be making a solid recovery, if you're the Oilers and the price was right, worth the risk?

I'd be onboard honestly, I like the potential upside of a player like this.

If the price is Eberle or Yakupov and a prospect, yes

Otherwise no. His conditions scares me, and he hasn't been a dominating #1 D either in recent years

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The defence is bad, but not as bad as you say.

xxx-xxx
Petry - Marincin
Ference - J. Schultz

You have a decent 2nd and 3rd pairing there. So four NHL caliber defenceman. :sarcasm:

Getting two top-pairing D in the off-season? Very unlikely.

A real make or break test for MacT. If he can pull some magic on that front he'll build his credibility immensely.

I do like the way Marincin is progressing but I think the jury is still out for a bit. Shall we settle at 3.5? /sarcasm

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the price is Eberle or Yakupov and a prospect, yes

Otherwise no. His conditions scares me, and he hasn't been a dominating #1 D either in recent years

Honestly I was thinking Eberle or Yakupov straight up, but I would do it too...however not without the Team's Doctor doing an check up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't think Letang is the type of defenseman the team needs.

He doesn't really have the defensive chops of most top pairing defensemen.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I don't think Letang is the type of defenseman the team needs.

He doesn't really have the defensive chops of most top pairing defensemen.

Yeah, I agree completely. I like Letang, but even ignoring his health issues, he's not the type of d-man that would fix the Oilers. Even in Pittsburgh, he doesn't face top opposition, and we absolutely need a top pairing guy if we're trading pieces valuable enough to pry out Letang.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Weber boys. lets get er done!

J Eberle
S Gagner
N Yakupov
O Klefbom

in exchange for

S Weber
C Wilson

Flame away

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I know this is a pipe dream but I would really like it if a trade something like Yakupov + Gagner + pick/Defensive prospect (Musil/Gernat) to Washington for Alzner + Brouwer.

People will say they will never move Alzner but first off George Mcphee is crazy and makes some pretty bad moves sometimes, as well they have been fighting to barely make the playoffs and then making some early exits for a few years now, they might see this as an opportunity to re tool.

A couple options I'd explore at the draft.

Yaks + Gagner + pick/prospect for Alzner + Brouwer

Yaks + Ferrence + pick/prospect for Alzner + Brouwer (If Ferrence will wave his NTC)

Yaks + 2014 1st + (musil/Gernat) for Alzner + Brouwer + Caps 2014 1st

I think Yaks would really flourish in WAS around a few other Russians in Ovie and Kuznetsov and Grabovski. And while it would sting to lose Alzner but I think Mcphee might be pretty enticed by one of these deals.

Hall—————RNH —————— Brouwer
Perron ———XXXX —————— Eberle
Lander ——— Gordon ————— Hendricks
Joensuu ——— Arco ————— Pitlick

Alzner ————— J. Schultz
Marincin ———— Petry
Klefbom ———— XXXX

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Preds have zero motivation to trade Weber--they have already paid all the signing bonus more or less

Zero motivation? It's been 8 years of mediocrity for he and the Preds. They badly need skilled forwards or some kind of star offensive talent. They have a future stud #1 Dman in Jones and a few other guys to compliment him. There are a few teams in the league that could probably offer something up to NSH that would have them listening, Edmonton is one of them.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Nashville won't trade Weber then go after Jones. We could offer scoring help to Nashville.
Gagner and Yakupov for Jones and Wilson.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
This is worth to read. What to do with Gagner. Maybe it is better to keep him next season as a 3rd line center and trade for the center with Columbus

http://oilersnation.com/2014/3/18/c...e-sam-gagner-can-they-afford-not-to-trade-him

its a good idea for sure, gagner needs to play behind the bigger centre who takes tough minutes... i'd be fine if the team would actually implement this type of plan but remains to be seen if they would...

add dubinsky and trade yak and the first for simmonds/B schenn/coburn

hall/nuge/eberle
simmonds/schenn/Dubinsky
perron/gagner/lander
hendricks/gordon/gazdic

petry maricin
schultz coburn
ference klefbom

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i don't think there will be any big changes or significant adds. With the Oil looking like they can at least look respectable next season (they've been .500 since the 4-15-2 start), management can sell hope yet again. they are not in a hurry. having 'meaningful games in March (or at least selling that line) is fine for them. they will stand pat and hold.

I've come to accept this fate. i dunno. I don't like it, but it is what it is. might very well be the only option they have.

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I've decided that we should keep Marincin on board. I thought he might be good trade bait but I think we have something real there, so maybe he's a keep option.

I'd like to see two new top 4 D, along with

Marincin-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Klefbom

That I could appreciate.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Edmonton and Nashville are a match made in heaven. Need Poille to get off of his D fetish and get some scoring help.

Disagree

Nashville isn't as D replenished as people say they are.

Seth Jones is still a prospect, having some rough defensive issues at times this year
Michael Del Zotto is a project
Ryan Ellis is a project
Bartley and Ekholm are projects with less potential.

Until they know they have sturdier, dealing Weber or Josi is terrible.

Nashville is going to see what they have with Forsberg, and if they want goals, they're going to have to sign them or get guys with upside. Rinne was an expensive re-sign and they have enough forward depth + D projects to make a package, but not for one of our kids.

It's kinda like with us, where dealing Eberle when we don't really know about Yak yet is problematic.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Disagree

Nashville isn't as D replenished as people say they are.

Seth Jones is still a prospect, having some rough defensive issues at times this year
Michael Del Zotto is a project
Ryan Ellis is a project
Bartley and Ekholm are projects with less potential.

Until they know they have sturdier, dealing Weber or Josi is terrible.

Nashville is going to see what they have with Forsberg, and if they want goals, they're going to have to sign them or get guys with upside. Rinne was an expensive re-sign and they have enough forward depth + D projects to make a package, but not for one of our kids.

It's kinda like with us, where dealing Eberle when we don't really know about Yak yet is problematic.

Yeah, that and there's literally 20 teams that have better offence than us this year so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad