Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
My god. When did everyone on HFOil start trading away RNH, Eberle and Yakupov for "anything you can get"?

I'm just gonna walk away and see you guys at the draft.

I know on the weekend on 1260 they kept replaying an interview, I think Lowetide, did with Steve Lansky and he basically was saying that the Oil should trade Yakapov for whatever they can best get right now because he doesn't see him developing much and just has too many holes in his game.

I think most everyone is now equating this to Eberle and RNH too. Myself included, to some extent. When I see them trying to go up against "MEN", the compete level drops significantly. Not sure if they're going to be able to evolve into what we hope. This offseason will hopefully shed some light on their desire. If they train hard and come back with some extra weight/muscle I'll have hope for them. If they come back the same, I'm ready to start dealing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Gagner for Clifford because grit
RNH for Boyle because size
Yakupov for Fistric because body checks
Eberle for Kassian because meanness
Schultz for Smid because shot blocking
Hall for Anisimov because big center

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I know on the weekend on 1260 they kept replaying an interview, I think Lowetide, did with Steve Lansky and he basically was saying that the Oil should trade Yakapov for whatever they can best get right now because he doesn't see him developing much and just has too many holes in his game.

I think most everyone is now equating this to Eberle and RNH too. Myself included, to some extent. When I see them trying to go up against "MEN", the compete level drops significantly. Not sure if they're going to be able to evolve into what we hope. This offseason will hopefully shed some light on their desire. If they train hard and come back with some extra weight/muscle I'll have hope for them. If they come back the same, I'm ready to start dealing.

I'm thinking your expectations are a little high for a bunch of kids. Here is how they rate compared to their forward peers:

Gagner: 2nd in 2007 eligible scoring (Behind Kane)
Perron: 5th in 2007 eligible scoring
Eberle: 2nd in 2008 eligible scoring (Behind Stamkos)
Hall: 1st in 2010 eligible scoring
RNH: 2nd in 2011 eligible scoring (less games than Landeskog)
Yakupov: 1st in 2012 eligible scoring

As much as it sucks we need to be patient. Obviously we need to add some size but we can't give these kids away.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Eberle for Josi
Yakupov for Byfuglien+

Hall/RNH/Byfuglien
Perron/Reinhart/
Hendricks/Gordon/Jones
Smyth/Arcobello/Pitlick

Josi/J.Schultz
Marincin/Petry
Ference/Nurse or Klefbom

Scrivens
Fasth

Eberle for Josi
Yakupov for Byfuglien+

Obviously other moves could be made to bring in players such as trading Gagner or getting some free agents. I think these two trades could help us out significantly though. Josi is a budding top 2 defenseman and Byfuglien gives us some much needed size in our top 6. He also can be used on the point on the power play.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Oilers should kick tires at Alex Edler.

I watch a lot of Canuck games and his value is at an all time low

BUT.

he has the ability to regain his form.

It wasnt too long ago that he was a 40 point, hard hitting, top pairing no.2 Dman. He's still in his 20's... he can totally bounce back...
He has offense, he can skate really well, size and hitting... he's young enough to regain his form for sure...

I like Edler and i wouldnt want to see him be traded...BUT.. looking at the situation from an unbiased outsiders point of view...now is the PERFECT time for a team to make a move for him because his value is so low.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Oilers should kick tires at Alex Edler.

I watch a lot of Canuck games and his value is at an all time low

BUT.

he has the ability to regain his form.

It wasnt too long ago that he was a 40 point, hard hitting, top pairing no.2 Dman. He's still in his 20's... he can totally bounce back...
He has offense, he can skate really well, size and hitting... he's young enough to regain his form for sure...

I like Edler and i wouldnt want to see him be traded...BUT.. looking at the situation from an unbiased outsiders point of view...now is the PERFECT time for a team to make a move for him because his value is so low.

I like Edler a lot, but unfortunately your proposal means dealing with Mike Gillis.

Gillis is one of those GM's who doesn't know what he's doing. He tries to "win" every trade, instead of understanding a trade has to work for both teams.

For example, he traded Schneider to New Jersey for 10th overall, while asking for Marincin and 7th overall from us. Now, why wouldn't he have lowered his ask from us given what he accepted?

You burn your bridges in a hurry pulling that kind of crap.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm thinking your expectations are a little high for a bunch of kids. Here is how they rate compared to their forward peers:

As much as it sucks we need to be patient. Obviously we need to add some size but we can't give these kids away.

There's no room on these forums to be putting stuff in perspective and using actual facts...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I like Edler a lot, but unfortunately your proposal means dealing with Mike Gillis.

Gillis is one of those GM's who doesn't know what he's doing. He tries to "win" every trade, instead of understanding a trade has to work for both teams.

For example, he traded Schneider to New Jersey for 10th overall, while asking for Marincin and 7th overall from us. Now, why wouldn't he have lowered his ask from us given what he accepted?

You burn your bridges in a hurry pulling that kind of crap.

Gillis tries to win every trade the first time around, but then settles for crap later.

So basically it means we can't be the first one to ask for Edler - just have to come in stealthily later on. :laugh:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I like perron and the value is close but when you look at all the teams that need young top 6 centers the demand will be high.

If i could i would add to schenn and target evander kane. He fits the flyers mold. Or even try to do a 1 for 1 to get bogosian.

I would not trade Perron any way. We can't the only physical top 6 winger we have. I am sure that we could find a good deal for Eberle. He is the one that I would move for a 2C with size and two way game. Because we are looking for a 2C with size I think the other team would add bit.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I would rather trade Eberle for a defensemen than a forward like some people are proposing. Defence is our #1 need. Make a package with Eberle being a base and try to get that top pairing defensemen we need so badly before trading him for #2C in my opinion. A top pairing dman will have more of an impact on our team

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would rather trade Eberle for a defensemen than a forward like some people are proposing. Defence is our #1 need. Make a package with Eberle being a base and try to get that top pairing defensemen we need so badly before trading him for #2C in my opinion. A top pairing dman will have more of an impact on our team

I truly believe at the draft table the flyers and oilers will do something big. Unless Hextall replaces Homer a few weeks before the draft

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Did anyone happen to catch the latest episode of Oil Change? Its most recent episode revolved around the trade deadline, and in one segment management along with Eakins were sitting in their war room discussing one player -- I'm paraphrasing but they said 'he's a bottom 6 guy, he certainly moves better... I wish I knew the player more' (from Eakins) and MacT responded with, 'let's wait until the end of the year to see what we have'. Pretty intriguing, I wish I knew who it was they were referring to.

I still believe you need to remove one of Gagner/Eberle/Yak to change the mix in the top 6. My faith is flagging in Yak, though I've been a fan of his. Seems to lack some vital processing on where to be at times on the ice. At the very least they should move Gagner this offseason (which then begs the question of who slots into the top 6 as the second C).

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Did anyone happen to catch the latest episode of Oil Change? Its most recent episode revolved around the trade deadline, and in one segment management along with Eakins were sitting in their war room discussing one player -- I'm paraphrasing but they said 'he's a bottom 6 guy, he certainly moves better... I wish I knew the player more' (from Eakins) and MacT responded with, 'let's wait until the end of the year to see what we have'. Pretty intriguing, I wish I knew who it was they were referring to.

I still believe you need to remove one of Gagner/Eberle/Yak to change the mix in the top 6. My faith is flagging in Yak, though I've been a fan of his. Seems to lack some vital processing on where to be at times on the ice. At the very least they should move Gagner this offseason (which then begs the question of who slots into the top 6 as the second C).

Sounds like they were discussing the Clifford for Gagner deal IMO... Wanted to wait and see on Gagner.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

No one is saying get rid of them, or at least they shouldn't be. But people need to realize that bringing 4 young guys(5 depending on who we take this year) up at the same time in the top 6 is a recipe for disaster. The best thing we can do is move 2 of them my preference being Yakupov and RNH for defensive upgrades and some bigger bodies for the top 6. They'll all be good players and I wouldn't want to see them moved for dimes on the dollar but IMO if you could get say Josi+Wilson for RNH and flip Yakupov for Myers we need to be doing it. Take one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Draisaitl at the draft and trade Schultz for Schenn. Gives us a lineup like this:

Hall-Gagner-Perron
UFA(Kulemin/Michalek)-Schenn-Eberle
Wilson-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-UFA/Smyth-Pitlick/UFA

Josi-Myers
Maricin-Petry
Ference-UFA
Fedun

Scrivens
Fasth

Yes it sucks to have Gagner on the top line, but it balances the line up for now. We would still have a wonder kid on the way up in Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, and additionally have our 2015 1st, Nurse, Klefbom as assets if we needed help up front once the team starts winning.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Here is what we have:
Hall. RNH. Perron. (Excellent mix on that line)
Xxx. Xxx. Yakupov. Or Eberle. (In my dream world we sign Callahan and Stastny)
Lander. Gordon Hendricks
Gazdic. Smyth. Pitlick
Joensuu

Xxx. Xxx
Petry. Marincin
Ference. Klefbom or Nurse
Fraser

Looking into the future, if we can somehow parlay Eberle (or Yak), Gagner, Schultz, 2014 1st into Two solid dmen and 2 top six forwards, we are competitive.

My dream:
RNH, Hall, Perron
Stastny, Callahan, Yakupov
Gordon, Hendricks, Lander
Smyth, Gazdic, pitlick
Joensuu

Josi, Coburn
Petry, Marincin
Ference, Klefbom
Fraser

Scrivins
Fasth

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No one is saying get rid of them, or at least they shouldn't be. But people need to realize that bringing 4 young guys(5 depending on who we take this year) up at the same time in the top 6 is a recipe for disaster. The best thing we can do is move 2 of them my preference being Yakupov and RNH for defensive upgrades and some bigger bodies for the top 6. They'll all be good players and I wouldn't want to see them moved for dimes on the dollar but IMO if you could get say Josi+Wilson for RNH and flip Yakupov for Myers we need to be doing it. Take one of Bennett, Reinhart, or Draisaitl at the draft and trade Schultz for Schenn. Gives us a lineup like this:

Hall-Gagner-Perron
UFA(Kulemin/Michalek)-Schenn-Eberle
Wilson-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-UFA/Smyth-Pitlick/UFA

Josi-Myers
Maricin-Petry
Ference-UFA
Fedun

Scrivens
Fasth

Yes it sucks to have Gagner on the top line, but it balances the line up for now. We would still have a wonder kid on the way up in Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, and additionally have our 2015 1st, Nurse, Klefbom as assets if we needed help up front once the team starts winning.

That's exactly what a poster said.

Trade Eberle and RNH for pretty much anything you can get while they still have any value. Addition by substraction.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's exactly what a poster said.

So one guy. Anyone proposing to just throw these guys away needs to give their head a shake. Especially Eberle, everyone agrees this is a down year for him and he's still on pace for 60 points. RNH is 20, he'll be stronger, Yak is younger has shown potential, and will mature. You don't throw these guys away for nothing. You trade one or two of them for pieces that help fix the team now and in the future.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
If Vancouver is still in fire sale mode. MacT should make a pitch for Kevin Bieska, he's the sort of miserable p---k we need more of. (And a good dman)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I really have a hard time giving as much value to Josi as a lot of folks around here, I certainly wouldn't give Eberle for him. Over the past few years he's only played a fraction of his time without Shea Weber. He's a good dman, but he's riding shotgun in the best spot a defenseman in this league could ask for.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
So one guy. Anyone proposing to just throw these guys away needs to give their head a shake. Especially Eberle, everyone agrees this is a down year for him and he's still on pace for 60 points. RNH is 20, he'll be stronger, Yak is younger has shown potential, and will mature. You don't throw these guys away for nothing. You trade one or two of them for pieces that help fix the team now and in the future.

don't worry. they won't be trading any of them b/c they are all so de-valued right now, it isn't worth trading them.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
Would you rather....

Jenner and j.Johnson
Or
Schenn and coburn?
Its the gritty center and top 4 dman we would be looking to add

Kulleroinen*

I would be fine if they traded just Eberle. He is the epitome of what is wrong with this team. Trading him would send a real message that things need to change.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Looking at this post I think my expectations haven't been high enough.

Goes to show that there is something rotten in the Oiler's top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad