Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The way I see it, this team has 3 significant holes to fill. #2 C and two top-pairing D.

It's going to be a trade for 1 and sign 2 type scenario. Say we trade for Edler, we're in a situation where we have to sign a #2 C and a top-pairing guy.

Unfortunately, we're not exactly in a situation where we can be picky. This franchise has literally watched 5 seasons go by and no 'perfect target' in terms of D-man (I'm talking Chara mold here) has hit free agency. We're going to have to take risks and trust our pro-scouting. We cannot let another season go by because we don't want to get burned by an albatross contract.

Another option is Mark Fayne of New Jersey. Now he's not a sexy name, but he's a guy who's played some fairly difficult minutes in NJ, and done alright. He's a simple defensive D-man. He's a top-4 guy at worst imo.

Signing guys like Ference and hoping that they can play a top-4 role will land us in the top-10 draft yet again next season. Overpaying by a mil or two so we can get the right people isn't the worst thing in the world.

They also need better two-way wingers. By that I mean Top 6 wingers who can provide offence while not being physical pushovers or having no semblance of a good defensive game. Basically MacT needs to acquire a few more David Perron's. Eberle and Yakupov can play good roles on this team but not if the entire line makeup is the same.

And I'm not going to ever trust our pro-scouting until they revamp the scouting department. Remember, these are the same guys who recommended Nick Schultz, Patrick O'Sullivan, etc.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'd rather go after Tyler Myers than Alex Edler.

that ship has sailed. it will cost us Hall to get Myers, now, which won't and shouldn't happen.

i think the only players that can be traded and get fair value back are Gagner and Ebs. Yak won't get a good enough return this summer. I can't see Mact doing anything bold, what with the team playing better of late. they will move Gagner for, hopefully, a D. not sure what they will do for a 2C.

i'm all over they map. haven't got a clue what they can do.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
They also need better two-way wingers. By that I mean Top 6 wingers who can provide offence while not being physical pushovers or having no semblance of a good defensive game. Basically MacT needs to acquire a few more David Perron's. Eberle and Yakupov can play good roles on this team but not if the entire line makeup is the same.

And I'm not going to ever trust our pro-scouting until they revamp the scouting department. Remember, these are the same guys who recommended Nick Schultz, Patrick O'Sullivan, etc.

Your right about the wingers, but reality says we need to prioritize. We won't fill everything. 2 top-pairing D-man and a #2 C. By hook or crook, just get them.

Your right about pro-scouting, but maybe they improve or something? I don't know. We don't have much of a choice if we're hoping to, in some way shape or form, attempt to compete for a playoff berth next season.

Pittsburgh spent $5M/yr on Martin and Michalek. So it's not like rebuilding teams haven't done it in the past.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
That's where wingers like Kulemin/Moss could come into play for the Oilers. Most people would probably pencil them in on the third line but in reality the team would be better off distributing these skilled players over 3 scoring lines and getting some diversity in their offense.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
That's where wingers like Kulemin/Moss could come into play for the Oilers. Most people would probably pencil them in on the third line but in reality the team would be better off distributing these skilled players over 3 scoring lines and getting some diversity in their offense.

I agree. Kulemin is a very good 2 way player but can also score. I'd put him on a line with Yakupov or Eberle and whomever our #2 Center is next year. Kulemin can provide some sorely needed defensive awareness in our top 6 without hurting us offensively.

Hendricks - Gordon - Moss makes a ton of sense.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I agree. Kulemin is a very good 2 way player but can also score. I'd put him on a line with Yakupov or Eberle and whomever our #2 Center is next year. Kulemin can provide some sorely needed defensive awareness in our top 6 without hurting us offensively.

Hendricks - Gordon - Moss makes a ton of sense.

There's other guys too that I'm sure would work, those two are just the most common ones I see around here. I wouldn't mind Winnik, Setoguchi, Boyle, Raymond etc on reasonable deals either.

What I'm really interested is if the Oilers can leach off the cup winner and pick up some cheap RFA's this summer.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

They may be forced to apply that train of thought.

There is something just missing in their development staff. I'll give you an example of another team. Take a player like Tomas Jurco. Guy is drafted and plays not a lick of D. Two years later he's playing in the NHL and playing a pretty solid two way game.

There's example after example of guys who weren't responsible in their own end when drafted but worked on it from day one. These guys, instead of working on their overall games, wanted to see if they could set AHL scoring records during the lockout instead of working on what they lack. That in itself is not only an indictment of Nelson as a coach but to the Oilers overall lack of a development plan.

Thank heaven Shelden Keefe is doing right by Darnell Nurse as we speak.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
One scenario I thought up just now for the Oilers to make a trade with Buffalo for Myers, if Oilers are still interested, is if the Oilers select 2nd and Buffalo 1st, could we do something like Yakupov and the 2nd to Buffalo for the 1st and Myers? what do people think? Fair? I don't know if Buffalo would do this unless they are set with Reinhart and want Yakupov really badly.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I know Yaks value is low but a team like FLD or buffalo he would be exactly what they need
I think Yak for Buffalos 1st is fair for both teams Yak will bounce back and have a good year plenty of young players take a few years to develop

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
They may be forced to apply that train of thought.

There is something just missing in their development staff. I'll give you an example of another team. Take a player like Tomas Jurco. Guy is drafted and plays not a lick of D. Two years later he's playing in the NHL and playing a pretty solid two way game.

There's example after example of guys who weren't responsible in their own end when drafted but worked on it from day one. These guys, instead of working on their overall games, wanted to see if they could set AHL scoring records during the lockout instead of working on what they lack. That in itself is not only an indictment of Nelson as a coach but to the Oilers overall lack of a development plan.

Thank heaven Shelden Keefe is doing right by Darnell Nurse as we speak.

Yeah but have the Oilers had anyone come through their system within the last few years that has that level of skill and you could still justify keeping in the AHL? Omark maybe? Arcobello's certainly game certainly grew immensely playing for the Barons.

I just find it hard to judge the development side of the Oilers in the past few years.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's other guys too that I'm sure would work, those two are just the most common ones I see around here. I wouldn't mind Winnik, Setoguchi, Boyle, Raymond etc on reasonable deals either.

What I'm really interested is if the Oilers can leach off the cup winner and pick up some cheap RFA's this summer.

I was really hoping they'd grab Raymond last offseason, that was a missed opportunity. Kulemin's the guy I want the most this offseason, I think he's a great player. To me, the ideal situation is to bring in two or three guys and then split the skill guys up on to three lines, but that means they've got to get guys that can play. You can't throw an Eberle on a line with Gordon and Hendricks and expect him to perform. They need to get guys that have a bit of puck skill to go along with tenacity and compete.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Yeah but have the Oilers had anyone come through their system within the last few years that has that level of skill and you could still justify keeping in the AHL? Omark maybe? Arcobello's certainly game certainly grew immensely playing for the Barons.

I just find it hard to judge the development side of the Oilers in the past few years.

There's certainly blame to go around in every area of the organization. I literally went back over ten years a few months ago and it's frightening the success rate this team has with non first round picks. It is single handed, the most glaring problem. Nobody is developing the draft picks, they're going back to Europe, and they've simply drafted some horrible players. There's several factors and that's why it needs an overhaul.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I was really hoping they'd grab Raymond last offseason, that was a missed opportunity. Kulemin's the guy I want the most this offseason, I think he's a great player. To me, the ideal situation is to bring in two or three guys and then split the skill guys up on to three lines, but that means they've got to get guys that can play. You can't throw an Eberle on a line with Gordon and Hendricks and expect him to perform. They need to get guys that have a bit of puck skill to go along with tenacity and compete.

They need more Perron types for sure.

Kulemin would be a nice target for a couple of different reasons. Let's remember he's fought through some adversity playing in the NHL also and might be a good "teammate" for Yak. Every move they make needs to work at this point. In every different way.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless the flyers can swing rnh for oel then its a no go. Coots is the flyers 2nd most important player. He is irreplaceable.

What do you want for Brayden Schenn? I'd sooner get him since he adds some grit, physicality and tenacity, three things that our top 6 lacks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I don't see Stastny taking a pay cut. The Couturier for Yak and Klefbom propasal is a bit of a head scratcher though. I'd much rather target B.Schenn like Bryan mentioned, using Perron to get it done. Yakupov + Schenn + Klefbom > Couturier + Perron. It would be a huge mistake to sell Yak low, and horrible asset management.

Agreed, Perron for Schenn or Anisimov + would make a lot of sense IMO. Preferably Schenn as the guy plays with some ferocity. Make that deal and then draft Ritchie if Ekblad is off the board and suddenly our top 6 as a whole is a hell of a lot tougher.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hall-Schenn-Yakupov
Ritchie-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Gordon-Lander
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick

I could live with that forward group.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hall-Schenn-Yakupov
Ritchie-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Gordon-Lander
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick

I could live with that forward group.

Ritchie might be ready from a physical standpoint, but from watching him I didn't get the sense he was ready for the speed of the NHL game, I think he would be better served with one more year in junior.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What do you want for Brayden Schenn? I'd sooner get him since he adds some grit, physicality and tenacity, three things that our top 6 lacks.

I am down to trade schenn as i believe the team is as well but finding similar value at a position of need is difficult. Flyers need defense and a lw.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
There's certainly blame to go around in every area of the organization. I literally went back over ten years a few months ago and it's frightening the success rate this team has with non first round picks. It is single handed, the most glaring problem. Nobody is developing the draft picks, they're going back to Europe, and they've simply drafted some horrible players. There's several factors and that's why it needs an overhaul.

10 years seems like a waste of time since the Oilers farm system has been a huge mess for the more than half of that. The Barons have only been around since '10-11, before that was a disastrous 3 seasons in Springfield, sharing a team with the Pens in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Roadrunners.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am down to trade schenn as i believe the team is as well but finding similar value at a position of need is difficult. Flyers need defense and a lw.

Does Perron interest you? He can play either wing.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Does Perron interest you? He can play either wing.

I like perron and the value is close but when you look at all the teams that need young top 6 centers the demand will be high.

If i could i would add to schenn and target evander kane. He fits the flyers mold. Or even try to do a 1 for 1 to get bogosian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad