Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Couturier plays the second toughest minutes out of all the Philly players, Schenn in contrast plays far weaker competition and does a poor job of it. Couturier has 2 less points then Schenn on the season right now and by the end of the season I won't be surprised if Couturier is actually ahead of Schenn given their production since Christmas. Also Couturier is a year and a half younger then Schenn. If we could get Couturier for Yakupov+Klefbom I wouldn't consider it selling low on Yak.

Don't get me wrong, Couts would be a great fit for sure. I just think nabbing Schenn would be a lot easier. And I meant that trading Yak after a season such as this would be selling him low. Look at Couturiers numbers last year, it happens to a lot of players early in their careers. After Yak's rookie campaign, I'm certain he will bounce back.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Don't get me wrong, Couts would be a great fit for sure. I just think nabbing Schenn would be a lot easier. And I meant that trading Yak after a season such as this would be selling him low. Look at Couturiers numbers last year, it happens to a lot of players early in their careers. After Yak's rookie campaign, I'm certain he will bounce back.

I'm not really to worried about Yakupov, I do wonder what he's thinking sometimes though. Only reason I wouldn't trade him for Schenn is because the guy look to be a dime a dozen player. He's not a shut down catlyst like say a Couturier, Hanzal, etc... can be, and he's not really great offensively. He's kind of like a Bozak in a lot of ways IMO, not someone I'd prefer to move Yak for. If we got both brothers I'd consider it but I still think we end up regretting that deal.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I would love Couts but I think there's zero chance of us getting him barring an overpayment. Philly likes him and he's playing well. They'd much rather part with Schenn. A Perron for Schenn deal definitely makes sense for both teams, I just don't know how much that would actually improve our team, if at all. Perron has been very good for us and while Schenn is a good player he's no difference-maker on his own.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
And just to reiterate the point about Edler for those that are always suggesting we trade for him…here is how local media and fans feel about him much of the time:

@ElliottPap
Seriously, I would not play Alex Edler again this game…

@botchford
Don't see how the Canucks are going to trade edler after this season. His value can't exactly be spiking.

@ElliottPap
Fire drill in Nux end? Who is on? Edler, of course...

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
And just to reiterate the point about Edler for those that are always suggesting we trade for him…here is how local media and fans feel about him much of the time:

@ElliottPap

@botchford
Don't see how the Canucks are going to trade edler after this season. His value can't exactly be spiking.

@ElliottPap

His Corsi has always been around his team's average, which usually comes out to around 51% or so.

I hope the Canucks trade him, they'd get worse IMO. I think it's just an off year for him offensively, makes the odd gaffe but he's basically like Petry.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
His Corsi has always been around his team's average, which usually comes out to around 51% or so.

I hope the Canucks trade him, they'd get worse IMO. I think it's just an off year for him offensively, makes the odd gaffe but he's basically like Petry.

He's been bad for the last couple season's, it's not just this year under Torts.

And let's say he's just like Petry for discussion sake, do you really want to give up the assets it's going to take to get him? I sure don't.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He's been bad for the last couple season's, it's not just this year under Torts.

And let's say he's just like Petry for discussions sake, do you really want to give up the assets it's going to take to get him? I sure don't.

I don't think he's been "bad", he's had moments. Like I said, like Petry, he makes some mistakes and his fan base goes nuts at him, forgetting he's a useful D-man.

Now, seeing that the Vancouver media is crapping on him right now, the assets may not be as much as his true value probably should be. So it depends. If it costs our 1st...meh not buying it. If he costs, say, Gagner+......I think we do that in a heartbeat no?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

And let's say he's just like Petry for discussion sake, do you really want to give up the assets it's going to take to get him? I sure don't.

Bad by which metric?

And he's better than Petry. It's like comparing Hall to Burrows.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
I don't think he's been "bad", he's had moments. Like I said, like Petry, he makes some mistakes and his fan base goes nuts at him, forgetting he's a useful D-man.

Now, seeing that the Vancouver media is crapping on him right now, the assets may not be as much as his true value probably should be. So it depends. If it costs our 1st...meh not buying it. If he costs, say, Gagner+......I think we do that in a heartbeat no?

If that's all it cost then I'd definitely be open to it, but look what Gillis tried to get from us for Schneider just because we're in the same division compared to what he settled with.

I doubt we're getting him for anything close to that.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

@ElliottPap

@botchford

@ElliottPap

Every good player on that team should probably get a pass this year. Torts has gone over the edge of sanity this year. All anyone had to do was watch the Olympics. Edler is just fine and will make any normal team better.

I'm all about personal responsibility of players but this is a special circumstance. It was a head spinner when Gillis hired him(if he did btw) and it's just gotten worse as we go.

The worse part for Vancouver becomes if they keep Torts. They will not get proper value for Edler and some team is going to land a top 4 guy on a good contract at a good age... On the cheap side.

The only guys really complaining about Edler are the same backwards, old school, dump and chase atom coaches who only started coaching cause their own kid couldn't make a summer tournament club.

Hockey has changed immensely the last ten years in regards to how D play. We now use the entire ice. We pass the puck through the middle and don't just shoot it off the glass anymore. Torts is more like those scared atom coaches than he is an NHL coach anymore.

It's a puck possession game now and unless he accepts that, his coaching career is pretty much over. Hell, even the Flyers have started bringing in D who at least try and control the puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Screw the Canucks. I have zero intention of dealing them one of our kids to help their "rebuild", they can go through the same pain everyone else does in a rebuild.

If they wanna deal with us they better get ready to overpay out the rear end, just like they were asking for overpayment last summer.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'm not the one who made that comparison.

Edit: and have you watched him play? My metric is based on watching a ton of Canuck games since I live out here.

I have watched him and the Canucks(unfortunately) play. Now Edler isn't Chris Pronger 2006, but he's a fine top-3 and probably top-2 guy. He can do a bit of everything and in a puck possession style system, he is at his best. I noticed there was a contrast between how his play for Sweden and how his play for Vancouver this season looked. He looked better for his country.

Pair him with a defensive D-man and I think you have a fairly solid top-pairing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have watched him and the Canucks(unfortunately) play. Now Edler isn't Chris Pronger 2006, but he's a fine top-3 and probably top-2 guy. He can do a bit of everything and in a puck possession style system, he is at his best. I noticed there was a contrast between how his play for Sweden and how his play for Vancouver this season looked. He looked better for his country.

Pair him with a defensive D-man and I think you have a fairly solid top-pairing.

Who is this on the Oilers though?

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Every good player on that team should probably get a pass this year. Torts has gone over the edge of sanity this year. All anyone had to do was watch the Olympics. Edler is just fine and will make any normal team better.

I'm all about personal responsibility of players but this is a special circumstance. It was a head spinner when Gillis hired him(if he did btw) and it's just gotten worse as we go.

The worse part for Vancouver becomes if they keep Torts. They will not get proper value for Edler and some team is going to land a top 4 guy on a good contract at a good age... On the cheap side.

The only guys really complaining about Edler are the same backwards, old school, dump and chase atom coaches who only started coaching cause their own kid couldn't make a summer tournament club.

Hockey has changed immensely the last ten years in regards to how D play. We now use the entire ice. We pass the puck through the middle and don't just shoot it off the glass anymore. Torts is more like those scared atom coaches than he is an NHL coach anymore.

It's a puck possession game now and unless he accepts that, his coaching career is pretty much over. Hell, even the Flyers have started bringing in D who at least try and control the puck.

I beg to differ on that.

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone out here to defend Edler. Obviously there are still going to be supporters for him but for the most part the market out here, from what I can see, has turned on him.

If it was just this year I would agree with your over-all assessment, but it isn't. Many feel he's been regressing since 2010.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Who is this on the Oilers though?

Second addition on the blueline.

XXXX-XXXX
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
XXXX/Fraser

That should be the skeleton D the Oil are going into the offseason with. Edler would fill the LHD spot, for the RHD, you can either trade for one or sign a guy like Niskanen (who is playing that role).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Second addition on the blueline.

XXXX-XXXX
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
XXXX/Fraser

That should be the skeleton D the Oil are going into the offseason with. Edler would fill the LHD spot, for the RHD, you can either trade for one or sign a guy like Niskanen (who is playing that role).

It'd take an awful lot of quality assets to trade for two top pairing D.

Niskanen is going to get overpaid, and if he signs here he'll probably get overexposed in a bad system like this team has.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are gonna overpay the **** out of Andrei Markov if the Habs don't get him signed to an extension. That I do see coming, whether he accepts is another question.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
It'd take an awful lot of quality assets to trade for two top pairing D.

Niskanen is going to get overpaid, and if he signs here he'll probably get overexposed in a bad system like this team has.

The way I see it, this team has 3 significant holes to fill. #2 C and two top-pairing D.

It's going to be a trade for 1 and sign 2 type scenario. Say we trade for Edler, we're in a situation where we have to sign a #2 C and a top-pairing guy.

Unfortunately, we're not exactly in a situation where we can be picky. This franchise has literally watched 5 seasons go by and no 'perfect target' in terms of D-man (I'm talking Chara mold here) has hit free agency. We're going to have to take risks and trust our pro-scouting. We cannot let another season go by because we don't want to get burned by an albatross contract.

Another option is Mark Fayne of New Jersey. Now he's not a sexy name, but he's a guy who's played some fairly difficult minutes in NJ, and done alright. He's a simple defensive D-man. He's a top-4 guy at worst imo.

Signing guys like Ference and hoping that they can play a top-4 role will land us in the top-10 draft yet again next season. Overpaying by a mil or two so we can get the right people isn't the worst thing in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad