Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Where did Colorado finish in the standings last season.......??? They were worst than Edmonton and drafted 1st overall and they have a new coach.........so the Oilers have no excuse for finishing where they are. I have always stated that you have to gave MacT and Eakins at least a couple of years to do their jobs before any firing.

I shudder to think how volatile things will be for MacT & Eakins if the team starts poorly next year.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I shudder to think how volatile things will be for MacT & Eakins if the team starts poorly next year.

That is the exact reason why Gagner, and one of Eberle or Yak are going to be moved. The D and size up front cannot be ignored again. It will get ugly.

JaredC

Mar 15, 2014
2nd tier bandaids won't help this team, tambo tired it, mact has tried it. We have two choices, trade at least one or more of our top players to get some top players back in areas of need

You hit the nail right on the head. I've said for years that the Oilers drafted poorly and are paying the price for it and now I finally did enough research to write about it. Drafting Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov etc. were bad choices (not because they're not good players but because they didn't fill the holes in the line-up) On top of that they rushed them into the league instead of allowing them to develop. It was poor asset management and now they have to pay them each a fortune. MacTavish was also a bad choice to be the GM. You never want a rookie coming in trying to rebuild a team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
You hit the nail right on the head. I've said for years that the Oilers drafted poorly and are paying the price for it and now I finally did enough research to write about it. Drafting Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov etc. were bad choices (not because they're not good players but because they didn't fill the holes in the line-up) On top of that they rushed them into the league instead of allowing them to develop. It was poor asset management and now they have to pay them each a fortune. MacTavish was also a bad choice to be the GM. You never want a rookie coming in trying to rebuild a team.

I'm not a fan of our draft record but that statement in bold is complete non sense.

The Oilers have no complementary players today because they were beyond brutal at drafting in the mid to late 2000's. Plante, Pouliot, Nash, Schremp, ect. This is why we have no depth today. We were unable to stockpile talent and the well ran dry forcing a rebuild.

The players in bold are poor draft choices. Coaches and management have to put them in a position to succeed.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Who knows how it will translate when he starts playing against players his own size.. DalColle is a tier above him offensively and has room to grow physically and possibly still be the next Lucic..

Not to many guys in the league as big as Ritchie is right now. Guy could be an absolute monster of a player if everything goes right. The type of player that is damn near untouchable like Lucic with the Bruins.

SchultzSquared*

Sign P. Stastny (6 years 6.5M per)
Sign D. Moss (3 years $3.25M per)

Resign Petry (4 years $3.5M per)
Resign J. Schultz (2 years $3M per)

Resign Smyth (1 year $1.25M)
Resign Gazdic (2 years $0.8M per)
Resign Fraser (1 year $1M)

Trade Gagner + rights to D. Simpson for Bickell
Trade Yakupov to VAN for Edler + Hansen
Trade EDM 1st '14 + Lander to BUF for Ehrhoff + Grigorenko + Kaleta

Hall-Stastny-Perron
Bickell-RNH-Eberle
Hansen-Gordon-Moss
Smyth-Hendricks-Kaleta
Joensuu Gazdic

Edler-Ehrhoff
Marincin-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
Fraser

Scrivens
Fasth

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You arguably could get Bickell for less than Gagner right now for sure.

Defensive game for him looks fine, but his contract sucks considering the production.

Also if we're paying over 3M for Moss, like we did with Gordon, especially considering Moss' injury history and age, that will suck. I'm totally fine with Moss if it's short term and somewhat affordable.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've seen Simpson in a few trades proposals now.

I don't get it.

Why would you put 3 years of development into a prospect, watch him develop into one of the best defensemen in the NCAA and then trade him before he plays a single NHL game?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Isn't Bickell the 4th liner that's been healthy scratched this year and on pace for 20 points?
That's the guy we're trading Gagner for now and sticking on the 2nd line?
Or are is Kyle Clifford's new nickname 'Bickell' now?

Hey maybe we should trade Gagner to the Jets for Chris Thorburn. Thorburn could be our next Lucic

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think we'd have a better chance of competing in the west going forward. Something like this in two years could be deadly:

Hall-Barkov-Yakupov
Perron-Couturier-Eberle
UFA-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-UFA/Lander-Pitlick

Could definitely play with the big teams out west here and not get our ***** handed to us.

I would take RNH and Reinhart/Bennett over those two even in the west. Detroit was able to compete with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it's not all about size as it is strength and quickness. RNH is 20 and has had shoulder surgery, in another couple of years he should be quite a bit stronger even if 190 is the heaviest that he might get. Neither Barkov or at least Couturier have the offensive abilities to outproduce the likes of Getzlaf. RNH was much more dynamic than Couturier in the CHL.

Nichushkin had played against men though, that I think helped him during the transition.

Ritchie is all man, kid is much stronger and tougher than Nichushkin. Ritchie is a 6'3" 230lb. manchild.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
a two-way, physical 2C, a 1&2D, and a power, physical top 6 W are not complimentary players; they are core players on good teams. The only way to get said players it to draft them (which we chose not to do) or trade for them, which will require giving up something of quality. See the conundrum, here?

On a good team, Eberle (and Yak until he proves otherwise) is the complimentary player.

One need can be filled via this draft, the others need to be filled via trade or the draft next season. We have a stable of solid young LD and one of them will likely get moved at some point in a trade. One of Perron, Eberle or Yakupov likely gets moved as well as Gagner.

Hypothetically we draft Ekblad then we deal Perron for Brayden Schenn or Artem Anisimov. That leaves us with needing a bigger winger for our top 6.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
One need can be filled via this draft, the others need to be filled via trade or the draft next season. We have a stable of solid young LD and one of them will likely get moved at some point in a trade. One of Perron, Eberle or Yakupov likely gets moved as well as Gagner.

Hypothetically we draft Ekblad then we deal Perron for Brayden Schenn or Artem Anisimov. That leaves us with needing a bigger winger for our top 6.

Sounds like u agree that probably 2, maybe 3, of the socalled core need to moved. Too bad they waited till their values plummeted. It's been obvious for over a year. I mean, who builds around two small centres and three non physical wingers, and a soft Dman without a slapshot? Oh yeah, Six Rings... Cause he knows something about winning.

This core was soooooooo destined to fail. They never had a chance.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Sounds like u agree that probably 2, maybe 3, of the socalled core need to moved. Too bad they waited till their values plummeted. It's been obvious for over a year. I mean, who builds around two small centres and three non physical wingers, and a soft Dman without a slapshot? Oh yeah, Six Rings... Cause he knows something about winning.

Uhhhmmmmm..... have you even heard of a toe drag?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Uhhhmmmmm..... have you even heard of a toe drag?

Lol. Isn't that the most important skill in today's NHL? The very skill that defines 'the best player available'? The reason one drafts or trades for any player? The only skill comparable is the howdy doo.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
The fix!

Trade Gagner for picks...
Trade
Eberle and 2015 1st
for
Coburn, Couturier, Phi 2015 1st
(yes I know it is a risk, but it may be the only way to convince Phi to give up Couturier... plus we will become a better team, so hopefully no top tier pick)

Offer a try out in camp to a guy like Quincey or Hainsey to provide competition in camp to Klefbom, Fedun, maybe resign Fraser for that as well....

Sign Iginla... I know Mac-T could convince him... maybe even offer him 2 yrs at 3.5per or 4 per...

draft Ritchie...

lines
Hall Rnh Iginla
Perron Couturier Yak
Lander Gordon Ritchie (grooming him to be the top line rw)
Gazdic Hendricks Pitlick
Arco, Jonensu

Coburn Schultz
Marincin Petry
Ference (Kelfbom, Fedun... or competition vets)

Much improved and headed to the playoffs!

Just wanted to post it again, seems to be more love for Ritchie now... We probably have a better shot at acquiring a big two way centre that can contribute via a trade, then draft one (Bennett or reinhart or the German) for me its ekblad or Ritchie ( maybe you trade down or maybe you just make the pick...

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Just wanted to post it again, seems to be more love for Ritchie now... We probably have a better shot at acquiring a big two way centre that can contribute via a trade, then draft one (Bennett or reinhart or the German) for me its ekblad or Ritchie ( maybe you trade down or maybe you just make the pick...

I don't think that's a playoff team.

Eberle > Iginla, who by the way has zero chance of coming here

Bottom six has little to no change, and adding a rookie even if it's Ritchie doesn't change that.

Coburn is the only D you added, and he can't move the puck, which is a glaring concern.

Couturier is nice as a Gagner replacement (although we'll see if he can put up No.2 C numbers) but overall this team basically goes from 14th in the West to maybe 13th? Past Calgary? If we're lucky?

Meanwhile, because we still aren't very good, we just gave the Flyers Jack Eichel.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not really, I don't consider Gagner or Perron as the core just yet. If we deal Perron to get the 2C and draft the 1D/PF then we don't need to deal any of the core unless we you feel that we have to have all 3 holes filled. IMO if we draft Ekblad and trade for B. Schenn then we could possibly try to acquire a Bickell type that is usually a 3rd liner but we can play him with RNH and Eberle to better round out that line. If we draft Ritchie then we at the very least need to make a push to deal for a legit top 3D. The one real positive is that at least it looks like we have some actual NHL goaltenders now and they can help to erase some mistakes that non NHL goalies can't.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would take RNH and Reinhart/Bennett over those two even in the west. Detroit was able to compete with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it's not all about size as it is strength and quickness. RNH is 20 and has had shoulder surgery, in another couple of years he should be quite a bit stronger even if 190 is the heaviest that he might get. Neither Barkov or at least Couturier have the offensive abilities to outproduce the likes of Getzlaf. RNH was much more dynamic than Couturier in the CHL.

Ritchie is all man, kid is much stronger and tougher than Nichushkin. Ritchie is a 6'3" 230lb. manchild.

Meh, Instead of taking Reinhart or Bennett I'd just take Ekblad or Ritchie. If we ended up with Ritchie our Roster would be so dominant it would even be funny, we may not score a ton of goals but no one would be scoring on us so it wouldn't matter. Look at the roster with Ritchie:

Hall-Barkov-Yakupov
Ritchie-Couturier-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-UFA-Pitlick

I think that forward core could compete with any in the league within 2 years. Then get us an average defense and goaltending and we'd be laughing. Been saying it since the Yakupov draft. We don't need super high skilled centers when we have wingers like Eberle, Yakupov, Hall, and now Perron. What we need are strong two way guys who can score anywhere from 40-60 points while they keep guys like Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc... off the board.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Meh, Instead of taking Reinhart or Bennett I'd just take Ekblad or Ritchie. If we ended up with Ritchie our Roster would be so dominant it would even be funny, we may not score a ton of goals but no one would be scoring on us so it wouldn't matter. Look at the roster with Ritchie:

Hall-Barkov-Yakupov
Ritchie-Couturier-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-UFA-Pitlick

I think that forward core could compete with any in the league within 2 years. Then get us an average defense and goaltending and we'd be laughing. Been saying it since the Yakupov draft. We don't need super high skilled centers when we have wingers like Eberle, Yakupov, Hall, and now Perron. What we need are strong two way guys who can score anywhere from 40-60 points while they keep guys like Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc... off the board.

Firstly do you care to tell me how you get Barkov AND Couturier? I see that you have all of our wingers left but no RNH. Good luck with that, it'd be like if we had RNH and Reinhart/Bennett already and then we'd only need a Ritchie up front. I'd sooner target Schenn than Couturier because he brings a lot more physicality to the table. Perron for Schenn and then take Ekblad or Ritchie and we are ready to rumble.

And how productive has Nail been this season? Expecting big numbers out of him right now is setting yourself up to be disappointed. I agree that our 2C doesn't need to be overly skilled so a Couturier would be fine there due to our winger depth, but the reality is that they are all quite similar minus Hall. Perron is a bit of a disturber but he is hardly a power forward. I'd love to add a Hartnell to this club.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Firstly do you care to tell me how you get Barkov AND Couturier? I see that you have all of our wingers left but no RNH. Good luck with that, it'd be like if we had RNH and Reinhart/Bennett already and then we'd only need a Ritchie up front. I'd sooner target Schenn than Couturier because he brings a lot more physicality to the table. Perron for Schenn and then take Ekblad or Ritchie and we are ready to rumble.

And how productive has Nail been this season? Expecting big numbers out of him right now is setting yourself up to be disappointed. I agree that our 2C doesn't need to be overly skilled so a Couturier would be fine there due to our winger depth, but the reality is that they are all quite similar minus Hall. Perron is a bit of a disturber but he is hardly a power forward. I'd love to add a Hartnell to this club.

I was just going with hypotheticals, for actual deals I'd do RNH straight up for Barkov. Then Yakupov for Couturier if Philly would go for it, be willing to add a dman like Klefbom if need be. The crazy thing is our forward depth would still be alright after those deals because of this years pick most likely being a forward. If we took Ekblad I'd look at dealing Schultz for a winger.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Sign P. Stastny (6 years 6.5M per)
Sign D. Moss (3 years $3.25M per)

Resign Petry (4 years $3.5M per)
Resign J. Schultz (2 years $3M per)

Resign Smyth (1 year $1.25M)
Resign Gazdic (2 years $0.8M per)
Resign Fraser (1 year $1M)

Trade Gagner + rights to D. Simpson for Bickell
Trade Yakupov to VAN for Edler + Hansen
Trade EDM 1st '14 + Lander to BUF for Ehrhoff + Grigorenko + Kaleta

Hall-Stastny-Perron
Bickell-RNH-Eberle
Hansen-Gordon-Moss
Smyth-Hendricks-Kaleta
Joensuu Gazdic

Edler-Ehrhoff
Marincin-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
Fraser

Scrivens
Fasth

You can't be serious Stastny for 6 years with that money??

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You can't be serious Stastny for 6 years with that money??

6.5 is low, I fully expect Statsny to make 7.5M if he hits the open market. Look at what Clarkson got for an example of how dumb some GM's can be.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah I don't see Stastny taking a pay cut. The Couturier for Yak and Klefbom propasal is a bit of a head scratcher though. I'd much rather target B.Schenn like Bryan mentioned, using Perron to get it done. Yakupov + Schenn + Klefbom > Couturier + Perron. It would be a huge mistake to sell Yak low, and horrible asset management.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah I don't see Stastny taking a pay cut. The Couturier for Yak and Klefbom propasal is a bit of a head scratcher though. I'd much rather target B.Schenn like Bryan mentioned, using Perron to get it done. Yakupov + Schenn + Klefbom > Couturier + Perron. It would be a huge mistake to sell Yak low, and horrible asset management.

Couturier plays the second toughest minutes out of all the Philly players, Schenn in contrast plays far weaker competition and does a poor job of it. Couturier has 2 less points then Schenn on the season right now and by the end of the season I won't be surprised if Couturier is actually ahead of Schenn given their production since Christmas. Also Couturier is a year and a half younger then Schenn. If we could get Couturier for Yakupov+Klefbom I wouldn't consider it selling low on Yak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad