Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Looking at this post I think my expectations haven't been high enough.

Goes to show that there is something rotten in the Oiler's top 6.

The mix isn't right.

We have too many kids leading more kids. The core needs more veterans to help guide them. They don't even have to be on the same line as them. They just need to show them how to prepare for games, have harder practices, and turn things up for a full 60 minutes.

I'm not one to blame 20 year old kids. Management needs to insulate them better. This is a major reason Hemsky was moved. We need more guys like Perrom, Hendricks, Smyth, Gordon and Ference in the lineup.

I do expect us to move one of the young guys as long as the right deal comes down.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I would be fine if they traded just Eberle. He is the epitome of what is wrong with this team. Trading him would send a real message that things need to change.

What's wrong with this team is no mystery. We have 3 NHL calibre defencemen and 1 AHL calibre coach. Eberle is far from being this teams main problem. Although most agree we need a different makeup of our top 6, dumping a player "to send a message" is not smart.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Here is what we have:
Hall. RNH. Perron. (Excellent mix on that line)
Xxx. Xxx. Yakupov. Or Eberle. (In my dream world we sign Callahan and Stastny)
Lander. Gordon Hendricks
Gazdic. Smyth. Pitlick
Joensuu

Xxx. Xxx
Petry. Marincin
Ference. Klefbom or Nurse
Fraser

Looking into the future, if we can somehow parlay Eberle (or Yak), Gagner, Schultz, 2014 1st into Two solid dmen and 2 top six forwards, we are competitive.

My dream:
RNH, Hall, Perron
Stastny, Callahan, Yakupov
Gordon, Hendricks, Lander
Smyth, Gazdic, pitlick
Joensuu

Josi, Coburn
Petry, Marincin
Ference, Klefbom
Fraser

Scrivins
Fasth

:amazed: You traded Eberle (or Yak), Gagner, JSchultz and our 2014 1st and only got Josi and Coburn? Glad you don't have anything to do with the Oil because that's some of the worst asset management I've seen...

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
:amazed: You traded Eberle (or Yak), Gagner, JSchultz and our 2014 1st and only got Josi and Coburn? Glad you don't have anything to do with the Oil because that's some of the worst asset management I've seen...
No, we overvalue our players big time!
I honestly don't think Eberle on his own gets Coburn. That is why I feel it would be something like Eberle and Schultz for Coburn and a second.
The 2014 1st might get Josi, but I doubt it! Throw in Gagner and the conversation gets interesting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I honestly don't think Eberle on his own gets Coburn. That is why I feel it would be something like Eberle and Schultz for Coburn and a second.
The 2014 1st might get Josi, but I doubt it! Throw in Gagner and the conversation gets interesting.

Then you under value them to the point of being dismissive. That's insulting. Coburn alone shouldn't get you Eberle's sticks and jock, geez

Is a new inferiority complex starting up with Oilers fans?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
What's wrong with this team is no mystery. We have 3 NHL calibre defencemen and 1 AHL calibre coach. Eberle is far from being this teams main problem. Although most agree we need a different makeup of our top 6, dumping a player "to send a message" is not smart.

The defence is bad, but not as bad as you say.

xxx-xxx
Petry - Marincin
Ference - J. Schultz

You have a decent 2nd and 3rd pairing there. So four NHL caliber defenceman. :sarcasm:

Getting two top-pairing D in the off-season? Very unlikely.

A real make or break test for MacT. If he can pull some magic on that front he'll build his credibility immensely.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

You're talking about Coburn from the Flyers and not some other guy named Coburn who is actually awesome, yeah?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

?? I know you dislike Eberle and JSchultz but come on...Really?

Earlier in the year you wanted to trade Eberle and NSchultz for Coburn and Simmonds. Has Coburn played that much better since or has Eberle played worse...or did you forget NSchultz was traded and forgot a letter in your post?

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
You're talking about Coburn from the Flyers and not some other guy named Coburn who is actually awesome, yeah?
Propose it to Flyers fans an see what they say. I know fans are not GMs, but my guess is they wouldn't do an Eberle for Coburn swap.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
?? I know you dislike Eberle and JSchultz but come on...Really?

Earlier in the year you wanted to trade Eberle and NSchultz for Coburn and Simmonds. Has Coburn played that much better since or has Eberle played worse...or did you forget NSchultz was traded and forgot a letter in your post?
I admit, I was blind to player values. This season has opened my eyes.

dasivon

Jul 29, 2004
Spruce Grove, AB
I'm thinking your expectations are a little high for a bunch of kids. Here is how they rate compared to their forward peers:

Gagner: 2nd in 2007 eligible scoring (Behind Kane)
Perron: 5th in 2007 eligible scoring
Eberle: 2nd in 2008 eligible scoring (Behind Stamkos)
Hall: 1st in 2010 eligible scoring
RNH: 2nd in 2011 eligible scoring (less games than Landeskog)
Yakupov: 1st in 2012 eligible scoring

As much as it sucks we need to be patient. Obviously we need to add some size but we can't give these kids away.

GREAT post.

The kids relative to their draft class are doing fine. As others have said it's difficult having all come up at once but MacT will undoubtedly add a vet to the top 6 this summer IMO.

That being said, Gagner has to go ;)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If were moving Eberle for a top pairing LHD, I'd rather focus on acquiring one of Yandle or Josi.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Which proves what exactly?
It would provide a perspective from another fan base.
Don't get me wrong, I think Eberle is a very skilled player (much like Schultz), but they are both very one dimensional.
From what I've seen from trades involving dmen and wingers, GMs feel top pairing dmen are more valuable. You could make an argument that Coburn is not a top pairing dman. I might be wrong on that one, but you will never convince me that Eberle is worth a high end top pairing dman.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't get me wrong, I think Eberle is a very skilled player (much like Schultz), but they are both very one dimensional.
From what I've seen from trades involving dmen and wingers, GMs feel top pairing dmen are more valuable. You could make an argument that Coburn is not a top pairing dman. I might be wrong on that one, but you will never convince me that Eberle is worth a high end top pairing dman.

Perspective that another team's fans would take a deal that's a major win in their favor and run?

No you couldn't "make the argument" that Coburn isn't a top-pairing defenseman, you can just flat out say "Coburn isn't a top-pairing defenseman" because that's factually correct.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Perspective that another team's fans would take a deal that's a major win in their favor and run?

No you couldn't "make the argument" that Coburn isn't a top-pairing defenseman, you can just flat out say "Coburn isn't a top-pairing defenseman" because that's factually correct.
Factually correct must mean different things to us being that Coburn is playing on Phili's top pairing.
My point stands. One dimensional scoring wingers do not bring back #1 dmen. It doesn't matter how factually incorrect you think I am.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

A fan base that presumably does not overvalue its players like Oilers fans do?

I don't think Coburn is a high end top pairing d. Doesn't have the offense to warrant that label. In a sense, he's pretty one-dimensional in that way. The Oilers need a real top pairing guy who can contribute to the attack by either jumping up in the play, contributing on the PP or just by moving the puck to the forwards better. The age thing is also a factor.

He'd be a decent addition, but Eberle is too much for a 2-3 guy.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
A fan base that presumably does not overvalue its players like Oilers fans do?

I don't think Coburn is a high end top pairing d. Doesn't have the offense to warrant that label. In a sense, he's pretty one-dimensional in that way. The Oilers need a real top pairing guy who can contribute to the attack by either jumping up in the play, contributing on the PP or just by moving the puck to the forwards better. The age thing is also a factor.

He'd be a decent addition, but Eberle is too much for a 2-3 guy.
Fair enough.
The problem then becomes, which top pairing dman would we be able to obtain for one of Eberle or Yak?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Fair enough.
The problem then becomes, which top pairing dman would we be able to obtain for one of Eberle or Yak?

I don't think you trade either. Fact of the matter is, if we want a bona fide top pairing D, we'll probably have to do what most teams with such commodities do and grow our own. Our D pool is well stocked with prospects and if you have to make a trade today, it makes sense to me to trade from areas where you have organizational strength and not dip into a forward depth chart that is wafer thin.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Factually correct must mean different things to us being that Coburn is playing on Phili's top pairing.
My point stands. One dimensional scoring wingers do not bring back #1 dmen. It doesn't matter how factually incorrect you think I am.

Jeff Petry is on the Oilers' top pairing.

No, you seem to have it out for Eberle, and are trying justify your position Through others, stop.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Jeff Petry is on the Oilers' top pairing.

No, you seem to have it out for Eberle, and are trying justify your position Through others, stop.
Your opinion is fact, got it! I will never state my opinion again.
All current Oiler players are unreal. MacT better not trade any of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad