Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Playing Ekblad on our D and expecting immediate results is just as ridiculous.

Now lets say Buffalo picks Ekblad, and we get to choose between Reinhart and Bennett. Or even 3rd, so Bennett and Draisaitl. We get from Buffalo:

A No.2 D-man paid only 2M
A potential top six center with immense size
A first round prospect
A second round prospect, we don't have a 2nd rounder right now.

I think that's plenty.

I'm pretty sure he meant that the trade is ridiculous from a BUF perspective. Oilers take that trade and run.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I know I'll take heat for this, but if we take Ekblad with our 1st, I would consider moving Yakupov to Isles for their pick. One of Draisaitl, Ritchie Dal Colle will probably be a much better fit for our team down the road.

I'd be happy with Ekblad and Ritchie. Suddenly we're a much bigger team then

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure he meant that the trade is ridiculous from a BUF perspective. Oilers take that trade and run.

Either way, I think I ended up with Ehrhoff at 2M + 2 2nds to EDM for the pick without any problem on the main trade board.

So, if we asked for one of the 2nds to be changed to the STL 1st, and ask for Grigorenko, does the Sabre perspective change? Not sure

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Now with cap hits:

Sam Gagner for Josh Bailey

Sign Paul Stastny (8 years, $64M)
Sign Leo Komarov (2 years, $4M)
Sign David Moss (3 years, $9.75M)
Sign Dan Boyle (2 years, $15M)
Sign Matt Greene (3 years, $9.75M)

Re-sign Tyler Pitlick (2 years, $1.2M)
Re-sign Luke Gazdic (1 year, $600K)
Re-sign Justin Schultz (5 years, $20M)
Re-sign Jeff Petry (4 years, $12M)
Re-sign Anton Lander (2 years, $1.4M)

Taylor Hall (6M) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (6M) - Jordan Eberle (6M)
David Perron (3.812M) - Paul Stastny (8M) - Nail Yakupov (925K)
Leo Komarov (2M) - Boyd Gordon (3M) - David Moss (3.25M)
Matt Hendricks (1.85M) - Mark Arcobello (600K) - Tyler Pitlick (600K)
(Anton Lander (700K), Luke Gazdic (600K)

Dan Boyle (7.5M) - Justin Schultz (4M)
Martin Marincin (730K) - Jeff Petry (3M)
Andrew Ference (3.25M) - Matt Greene (3.25M)
(Oscar Klefbom)

Ben Scrivens (2.3M)
Viktor Fasth (2.9M)

$69.804M/$71.1M
Free cap hit: $1.296M

Give Eakins ~30 games, if he can't get that team to playoffs spot, kick his ass away from Edmonton.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Depends on what Bailey we get from NYI. The energized full blast 100% Bailey is much much better then Sam Gagner.

oh, well. Nevermind. (I checked capgeek). Pass for 3.3 mill for a guy that's VERY streaky. I stick with the demon we know

Posted this on the trade thread on the main boards.

Bailey at his very best is worse than Gagner at his very best
Bailey at his worst is worse than Gagner at his worst.

On top of that, Bailey is at his worst more often and has been behind Gagner at every single stage in their careers. Josh Bailey has never been a better player than Sam Gagner. Ever.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Well in one scenario, the Preds were hellbent on keeping him. If they've changed their mind for financial reasons and want to get rid of him, that alters the dynamic considerably and puts them in the place of having to accept the best offer they can get. Basically, they don't have the hammer anymore.

Pronger was 29 or 30 when the Oilers got him and was the team captain. He was traded from St. Louis because they couldn't afford to keep him.

Weber is 28, team captain and the team (allegedly) can't afford to keep him.

Yup, totally different. :sarcasm:.

There is currently zero evidence the Preds have any financial issues. The year they matched Weber's offer sheet they also tried to retain Suter and Poile certainly seemed to think his offer was in the same ball park. Last summer they were the most active team in free agency. Would a cash strapped team operate like that?

When we acquired Pronger he was an RFA in need of a contract and one year away from being a UFA. St.Louis clearly had ownership/financial issues. With the NHL emerging from a 1 year lockout, many teams were shuffling players around and the free agent pool was the deepest anyone will ever see. It was also the first year with an owner friendly salary cap. Let's not forget that teams like NYR, DET, TOR, DAL had team payrolls in the 80-100 million mark and suddenly had to be cap compliant in a 39 million dollar cap world. Obviously the returns on some valuable players were going to be compromised. Also, Pronger turned 31 at the start of that season (Oct).

Weber is under contract long-term, with a front loaded deal that his team has already paid 2 of the most expensive years. His GM says he won't trade him. Ownership has no financial issues. The cap is going up, many teams (including us) have a ridiculous amount of cap room, and the free agent pool is quite shallow. Weber will be 29 in August (just shy of 2 years younger than Pronger was at the time he came here).

If you can't see a clear difference in the two situations, then I'm not sure what more I can do to explain.

SchultzSquared*

Now with cap hits:

Sam Gagner for Josh Bailey

Sign Paul Stastny (8 years, $64M)
Sign Leo Komarov (2 years, $4M)
Sign David Moss (3 years, $9.75M)
Sign Dan Boyle (2 years, $15M)
Sign Matt Greene (3 years, $9.75M)

Re-sign Tyler Pitlick (2 years, $1.2M)
Re-sign Luke Gazdic (1 year, $600K)
Re-sign Justin Schultz (5 years, $20M)
Re-sign Jeff Petry (4 years, $12M)
Re-sign Anton Lander (2 years, $1.4M)

Taylor Hall (6M) - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (6M) - Jordan Eberle (6M)
David Perron (3.812M) - Paul Stastny (8M) - Nail Yakupov (925K)
Leo Komarov (2M) - Boyd Gordon (3M) - David Moss (3.25M)
Matt Hendricks (1.85M) - Mark Arcobello (600K) - Tyler Pitlick (600K)
(Anton Lander (700K), Luke Gazdic (600K)

Dan Boyle (7.5M) - Justin Schultz (4M)
Martin Marincin (730K) - Jeff Petry (3M)
Andrew Ference (3.25M) - Matt Greene (3.25M)
(Oscar Klefbom)

Ben Scrivens (2.3M)
Viktor Fasth (2.9M)

$69.804M/$71.1M
Free cap hit: $1.296M

Give Eakins ~30 games, if he can't get that team to playoffs spot, kick his ass away from Edmonton.

Err you forgot Bailey... Komarov is not necessary so you have save $2M right there

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
So... Arthur Staple said on OilersNow that Sam Gagner for Josh Bailey swap could be a possibility in summer.

I wonder if this is the deal they were talking about on the trade deadline episode of Oil Change? It showed them in their meeting room, MacT was discussing a player with Eakins who said he wasn't familiar with the player. MacT chimed in and said something like "neither guy is physical" and "we don't have to do it today, it will still be there in the summer."

Hmmm. Not sure what to think. Bailey is definitely more responsible defensively.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
If the Oilers get Ekblad - macT needs to offer something around yak + hopefully gagner too for another top 5 pick and see if anyone bites - the Oilers need centerman in the system with some size my god

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I wonder if this is the deal they were talking about on the trade deadline episode of Oil Change? It showed them in their meeting room, MacT was discussing a player with Eakins who said he wasn't familiar with the player. MacT chimed in and said something like "neither guy is physical" and "we don't have to do it today, it will still be there in the summer."

Hmmm. Not sure what to think. Bailey is definitely more responsible defensively.
How so? Prone to turnovers, doesn't kill penalties, and isn't a natural centre

MPStoEberletoHall*

We shouldnt be adding to Yakupov for a top 5 pick.

Hate to be the guy that gives up one Yak.. I truly believe a guy like Draistal will be better than Yak in the future..

Hall-RNH-_______
Perron-Draistal-Eberle

Ekblad-Nurse
Petry-Marincin
Klefbom-J Schultz

If we get a top 6 RW with size that would be huge for us

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If the draft stays as it is and Buffalo ends up taking Ekblad and we take Reinhart. Would anyone make this trade?

To NYI: Yakupov+1st 2015

To Edm: Reinhart+1st 2014

Not sure how I feel about so it's probably close. Would like to see us take Ritchie with that 5th pick.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
So it's clear then. Yakupov is the odd man out because of this one sophomore season with a terrible team. Ok.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
If the Oilers get Ekblad - macT needs to offer something around yak + hopefully gagner too for another top 5 pick and see if anyone bites - the Oilers need centerman in the system with some size my god

The last thing the oilers should be doing is trading top 6 players for picks, it's like people don't get it :facepalm: Oh and we don't add to Yak for a top 5 pick.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
If the draft stays as it is and Buffalo ends up taking Ekblad and we take Reinhart. Would anyone make this trade?

To NYI: Yakupov+1st 2015

To Edm: Reinhart+1st 2014

Not sure how I feel about so it's probably close. Would like to see us take Ritchie with that 5th pick.

Oh **** I hope not. Not a griffin fan at all. Very overrated.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Code:
Sign Nikitin, Belov, Morrison, Simpson, Ranger, Moss, Smyth. . 
Resign Schultz, Pitlick, Lander, Horak, Gazdic, Miller.
Trade Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry  and shiny coin for Bryan Bickell and Brent Seabrook.

[FIELDSET="Oilers"]Hall-Bennet-Yakupov
Bickell-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Moss
Hendricks-Lander-Joensuu
(Gazdic, Smyth)

Nurse-Seabrook
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Ference
(Belov, Ranger)

Scrivens
Fasth[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Barons"]Miller-Horak-Ford
Moroz-Arcobello-Pitlick
Combs-Khaira-Pinizzotto
C.Jones-Ewanyk-K.Jones
(Yakimov, Houck, Kessy, Acton)

Marincin-Gernat
Hunt-Davidson
Simpson-Morrison
(Oesterle, Musil)

Broissoit
Bunz
Tuohimaa[/FIELDSET]

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
wouldn't be surprised if katz tries to pull a power move and get nicholson as the new president of hockey ops. would appease all the lowe haters and also give him the much needed attendance for next year (and until the arena gets built).

signed,
a huge jay brown fan.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Code:
Sign Nikitin, Belov, Morrison, Simpson, Ranger, Moss, Smyth. . 
Resign Schultz, Pitlick, Lander, Horak, Gazdic, Miller.
Trade Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry  and shiny coin for Bryan Bickell and Brent Seabrook.

[FIELDSET="Oilers"]Hall-Bennet-Yakupov
Bickell-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Moss
Hendricks-Lander-Joensuu
(Gazdic, Smyth)

Nurse-Seabrook
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Ference
(Belov, Ranger)

Scrivens
Fasth[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Barons"]Miller-Horak-Ford
Moroz-Arcobello-Pitlick
Combs-Khaira-Pinizzotto
C.Jones-Ewanyk-K.Jones
(Yakimov, Houck, Kessy, Acton)

Marincin-Gernat
Hunt-Davidson
Simpson-Morrison
(Oesterle, Musil)

Broissoit
Bunz
Tuohimaa[/FIELDSET]

That doesn't even get Seabrooks jock strap. Oh look a rookie on the top line and a rookie on the top D pairing, that'll go really well....

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
No no no. It's because our incredible RW depth makes him obsolete. I mean just look at it! We've got Eberle and...uh...Eberle, then you've got ummm...Eberle?

That's why I pray we don't trade Eberle cause then we have............. Maybe Yakupov? And if he doesn't pan out.............

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Posted this on the trade thread on the main boards.

Bailey at his very best is worse than Gagner at his very best
Bailey at his worst is worse than Gagner at his worst.

On top of that, Bailey is at his worst more often and has been behind Gagner at every single stage in their careers. Josh Bailey has never been a better player than Sam Gagner. Ever.

I hate Gagner but this would be a terrible trade. Even if it was a wash, Bailey's contract is too long for a marginal player on a bad team. I would rather keep Gagner or look at a different player/ pick

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hate to be the guy that gives up one Yak.. I truly believe a guy like Draistal will be better than Yak in the future..

Hall-RNH-_______
Perron-Draistal-Eberle

Ekblad-Nurse
Petry-Marincin
Klefbom-J Schultz

If we get a top 6 RW with size that would be huge for us

I think it's more that you love the shiny new prospects.. Trading Yak for 4th or 5th overall is a step back and Draisaitl does not have the potential that Yak does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad