Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff involved in the Richards and Carter situations as well. Plus we got pretty ridiculous returns for them...

Simmonds + Schenn + Voracek + Couturier + Cousins + pick (used on Grossmann)

And Couturier and Schenn were top prospects yet to play kinda like Ekblad thanks for making Soundwaves case.,

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
That's your opinion, but honestly I think you're being naive.

And I think you're trying to discuss players you honestly know nothing about. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know anything about EDM players. I can look into statistics and assess things rationally. That's all I can do. Your opinions neither fall in line with statistical analysis or viewed rational opinions of the players you are assessing.

No one trades a no.1/2 overall pick for that kind of return, and Ekblad's pedigree points very much to a Doughty/Weber level d-man at best, Erik Johnson at worst (who's better than anyone either the Oilers or Flyers have).

It doesn't matter if no one would trade the 1st/2nd overall for Couturier. That's not what we're discussing.

Erik Johnson is not better than Brayden Coburn, and rarely do 1st/2nd overall defensemen live up to their pedigree like centers do. Defensemen in draft are generally a crapshoot. How do I know this? I've done the research and written articles on this very subject.

Kid is the dictionary definition of a blue chip stud d-man prospect. If I had Giroux/Lecavalier/Schenn to play the center position and all I had to give was Couturier to get an Ekblad, I do that all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

No, you don't. That's stupid. If you have a team that needs defense, the last thing you give up is your best defensive player. Based on player development, even if Ekblad becomes a better overall defensive force than Couturier, he also generally wouldn't accomplish this for a number of years. Defensemen develop a lot slower than most forwards, particularly guys like Couturier, who is for all intents and purposes an anomaly of development. He's way ahead of the curve.

There's zero chance the Oilers would trade Ekblad if they're lucky enough to get him, nor will any team that ends up getting him.

That's not what we're arguing.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
The thing with Couturier is he has unreal hockey IQ, but because he's not flashy you don't really notice him. Everyone was saying RNH had an amazing hockey IQ coming out of the draft, but IMO Couturier had the highest.
I bet you have watched a full Flyers game less than 10 times . He sure was not helping Flyers win with that superstar vision early in the season was he . **** no it was because there only Superstar Giroux was not producing. He did not do anything during their poor start.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly asking fans is sometimes the worst way to get a read on the players. You might be better off asking Penguins fans actually to get a more accurate, less emotional read on a player. I watch a fair bit of the Flyers, my dad is a Flyers fan and we have the Center Ice package.

Put it on the main board. Offer Couturier for the Oilers 1st and see what people say... Then Offer Schenn for Oilers 1st and see what people say.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If I had three other perfectly good centers I would trade a Couturier for an Ekblad (given Philly's defensive depth) all day. That's my opinion. If you don't like it, tough cookies.

Most people objectively on this board would agree to that trade I bet.

I do watch a fair bit of the Flyers too, I have a buddy who actually knows Scott Hartnell to boot. Oddly enough there are a fair number of Flyers and Bruins fans in Alberta.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I bet you have watched a full Flyers game less than 10 times .

i watched around 10 games of Couturier in junior during the 10/11 season because I was working night shifts and had not much to do at the time. I watched a lot of both RNH and Couturier that year and was absolutely pissed when we took RNH. Guy was overrated in 11 and is overrated now.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If I had three other perfectly good centers I would trade a Couturier for an Ekblad (given Philly's defensive depth) all day. That's my opinion. If you don't like, tough cookies.

Most people objectively on this board would agree to that trade I bet.

I do watch a fair bit of the Flyers too.

Most people on the trade board are like you and know nothing about how good Couturier secretly is. He is the second best player on the Flyers, hands down. There's no other way to put this. I watch every game. Flyers fans would agree. Most Penguins fans who actually know anything would agree too. They wouldn't even have to worry about statistics...which would back this up. Most of the people you would ask on the mainboards would immediately look up points and just guess.

Uninformed people do not count as objective people.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Honestly asking fans is sometimes the worst way to get a read on the players. You might be better off asking Penguins fans actually to get a more accurate, less emotional read on a player. I watch a fair bit of the Flyers, my dad is a Flyers fan and we have the Center Ice package.

I don't know if I agree when comparing players on their respective team. So that would include that you would have better insight on calgarys players compared against each other more so than a flames fan?

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
They weren't the meat of those trades. Couturier was a fluke of drafting, and we actually wanted a defenseman instead of Schenn.

The Flyers playoff spot has dick all to do with Couturier this season the team plays as Giroux does period. Couturier is far from untouchable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't know if I agree when comparing players on their respective team. So that would include that you would have better insight on calgarys players compared against each other more so than a flames fan?

Every fanbase thinks their players are worth more than they actually are and then underrate players after they trade them away. And then you have certain fans who have a certain emotional attachment to certain players.

It's really not dissimilar to people who are into soap operas or TV dramas and get really attached to certain characters.

That's just human nature, I'm not going to get in a huge argument over it, I just don't think you're going to get an objective opinion that way.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
It's obvious he's protecting his shoulder this year, subconsciously or not. I remember as a rookie when the Canucks tried to play him physical and he embarrassed them for a hat trick.

There's something seriously up with him. He went from being able to "dangle in a phone booth" to missing passes and lofting wafflers.

That was a lot of Quinn-isms for one post.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That was more a hit then a straight up get out of my face. Not bad though, kid may have some battle in him yet.

He did that several times as a rookie, do you even watch Oiler games? I knew that RNH video clip was coming the moment you brought up the Toews thing, lol.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers playoff spot has dick all to do with Couturier this season the team plays as Giroux does period. Couturier is far from untouchable.

That comment is completely ignorant of reality. Everyone loves to talk about how ****** our defense and goaltending is...well without Couturier and Read to carry the defensive load, we would probably be on the bubble right now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He did that several times as a rookie, do you even watch Oiler games? I knew that RNH video clip was coming the moment you brought up the Toews thing, lol.

About 50 games a year, are you telling me RNH is regularly pushing guys around and winning battles. Because if he is maybe we don't need that big center everyone seems to be clamouring for.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Every fanbase thinks their players are worth more than they actually are and then underrate players after they trade them away. And then you have certain fans who have a certain emotional attachment to certain players.

It's really not dissimilar to people who are into soap operas or TV dramas and get really attached to certain characters.

That's just human nature, I'm not going to get in a huge argument over it, I just don't think you're going to get an objective opinion that way.

Of course but I am going more off of the consensus opinion of a fanbase

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
OK, I'm just going to make this point right now. In case you haven't noticed this is the Oilers board, and the trade proposals board at that.

This is not the Flyers board. Next person who wants to talk Flyers in this thread and derail it is getting an infraction. You wanna talk Flyers, great, there's a nice Flyers forum on this very board where you can do that to your heart's content.

It's a stupid argument to begin with as no team that drafts Aaron Ekblad is trading him unless there is some bizarre situation where like John Tavares demands a trade or something and the Islanders insist on having Ekblad or something like that. Teams barely ever trade any half-way decent d-man as is (as the Oilers know all too well).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
About 50 games a year, are you telling me RNH is regularly pushing guys around and winning battles. Because if he is maybe we don't need that big center everyone seems to be clamouring for.

I said it very clearly, since his shoulder injury he has clearly backed off from the more physical aspects of his game that he didn't seem to have a problem with as a rookie. The 80s Oilers weren't dumb enough to send Gretzky out there to push people around anyway, that was never his job.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Trade RNH, trade Eberle, trade Yakupov, trade Gagner, trade Schultz and bring in some size and compete. I really could care less who gets traded at this point, its painfully obvious that we have one of the most unbalanced weak teams in the league... That will continue to be the case unless we make a few tough trades.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
We need a Better, Bigger, tougher third line that can actually score. I would Keep Gordon there as he is a good defensive center, that wins puck battles, wins draws. But he needs wingers that will play with his style. Hendricks is a good player but he isn't a 3rd line guy he would be the perfect 4th line center that we need. We have been a one line team for too long, we need veteran players that can score and defend in our bottom six.

Hall-Statsny-Yakupov
Perron-Hopkins-Eberle
Winnik/Penner/Kulemin-Gordon-Downie/Kulemin/Moss/Stempniak
Pouliot/Lander-Hendricks-Pitlick/Moss
Gadzic

Our Defence is a wreck and it will not be an easy fix and since finding a top pairing guy will be impossible unless we make a silly trade we need to draft Ekblad and Sign Macdonald or find a good top four dman that is LD. We rotate this defence for the most part.

Macdonald/(Dman from Gagner+Musil Trade)-Ekblad
Marincin-Petry
Ference-J.schultz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad