Proposal: Proposals Thread: Everything But The TV, Couch and Kitchen Sink Are For Sale!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
The amount of butthurt over me suggesting Couturier is better than you all think is pretty impressive. Then again, I could throw out anything to prove, even offer video, and it would change none of your opinions (minus a few). Some actually believe Brayden Schenn is a better player or that Couturier isn't even a good 3rd line center yet.

Thank you to the people here who realize why Couturier is pretty much untouchable from a Flyers' PoV.

You know who else was overrated, is overrated, and will now forever be overrated...?

All this talk does is remind of what HFBoards said about Giroux...could would never amount to anything more than a 40 point third line winger. He's now on pace to be the highest scoring forward of the half-decade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don't have the first overall? Also, who would we draft? Ekblad? We have Morin in the system and he is developing just the way the Flyers want him to. Ekblad isn't a sure thing either. Reinhart? Another big center with skating questions? Is that who we would take? The Flyers aren't in the position to trade roster players who make a huge impact on the game like Couts for draft picks, it's that simple.

Let's not act like Ekblad is a sure thing. He has been questioned for this draft as well.

The one thing that is for sure here is how good(elite) Couts is defensively. You don't find these players every day like people think.

He's scored more goals this season than Doughty, Pietranglo, Seth Jones, etc. ever did at the junior level. If we're looking at it from a per game production basis, it's not even close actually. 23 goals in 58 games is ridiculous, Doughty is the closest comparable at 21 goals in 67 games. Honestly, I'm thinking he's starting to get underrated. His numbers are phenomenal, and unlike Jones, he has the build of a grown man.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Sean Monahan is who I really wanted. Far better looking prospect than Couturier, but alas the one year we finish one spot too low, lol.

Is he really "far better looking?

Inflated shooting percentage, Corsi doesn't look so good which shows he's not defensively strong yet, kinda soft.

If he's got something going for him, it's a semi low PDO and fairly low on ice save percentage that should boost the -17 he possesses.

Couturier is ahead of him though, he was shutting down the league's best at Monahan's age.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I really like Couturier and think he's hella underrated but I think comparing their even strength totals is interesting, but needs context for both. Couturier gets fed really tough minutes and still comes out strong, but RNH played through a bum shoulder last year and this year is coming off a major shoulder surgery. He didn't get 30 games in the AHL like Hall did and not all timelines are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back a little early too but I wouldn't be too worried about RNH just yet.

If he's still producing only 50-60 points next year I think the criticism is legit but hopefully next year is the big year he turns things up a notch.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You can pull out video like this for any top 9 forward in the league. Fact is he has 10 goals in 74 games is 69th in production for centers playing 19 min a night and 166 in nhl scoring . Keep farting out those roses on him. Over rate much? Wait till I dig out some Gagner plays I can pull 8 nice ones from 1 night.

Please pull up a clip of RNH shoving one of the best players in the game to the ground. O wait can't find it, it's probably because he's the guy getting pushed around every game.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
One more thing, how do you know every GM does Ekblad for Couts? That's just baseless speculation and is most likely not true.

You have Couturier, performing as he is now, and trade him for Ekblad?

That's on a whole new tier of stupid...I'm talking Vanek trade stupid.

Nothing against Ekblad, but you don't take a stud in the making and trade him for a maybe.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is he really "far better looking?

Inflated shooting percentage, Corsi doesn't look so good which shows he's not defensively strong yet, kinda soft.

If he's got something going for him, it's a semi low PDO and fairly low on ice save percentage that should boost the -17 he possesses.

Couturier is ahead of him though, he was shutting down the league's best at Monahan's age.

Monahan IMO is a far better skater and has better hands.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Please pull up a clip of RNH shoving one of the best players in the game to the ground. O wait can't find it, it's probably because he's the guy getting pushed around every game.

So pushing a player to the ice makes you a 1 c thanks for the education. I guess that Makes Fraser a number 1 d :shakehead All Couturier hype came from 1 playoff series where he supposedly shut down Malkin who by the way scored at a 1.33 ppg clip against him which is higher than his career average. Not saying he is a bad player just severely overrated by the likes of posters like you.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I wonder what it would cost to get Berglund out of St. Louis.

Could be the perfect 2nd line C here and will be expendable after Stastny signs there in the summer (worst kept secret in hockey).

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Yeah I think it's quite likely that Brayden Schenn is actually the better player (probably more physical to boot), but in Edmonton we deify any tall center prospect. Too bad we didn't get Monahan last year and then Ekblad this year. That would've been nice.

Yeah lets just keep talking down other teams centers who play the 2nd most minutes in total and at EV on a playoff team who are able to play against top competition and match their production. He's just tall and must be overrated right?

Enough is enough

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah lets just keep talking down other teams centers who play the 2nd most minutes in total and at EV on a playoff team who are able to play against top competition and match their production. He's just tall and must be overrated right?

Enough is enough

I never said he was overrated, Brayden Schenn probably is the better (and gulp, more physical) player, he just gets no hype on the Oilers board because he's not 6'4 and we obsess over tall forwards.

But c'mon lol, there's zero doubt in my mind that Holmgren would trade Couturier for Ekblad. They have an abundance of depth at the center position, Ekblad is basically exactly the d-man Philly would create if they could build one in a lab.

There's not many drafts at all where a 40 point, 3rd year player lands you the no.1 overall pick either, otherwise teams would trade for the no.1 pick all day long.

There's not one GM in this league IMO that would trade Aaron Ekblad after selecting him with a 1/2 pick for Sean Couturier. That's not crapping on the player, that's just being realistic.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This is pretty silly, but I think you know that.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So pushing a player to the ice makes you a 1 c thanks for the education. I guess that Makes Fraser a number 1 d :shakehead

No, being able to stick up for yourself and actually play the game with some balls make you a man. We have a team full of a bunch of boys and I'm sick of watching it. If I wanted to watch a junior team I would buy Oil Kings tickets, not Oiler tickets.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I never said he was overrated, Brayden Schenn probably is the better (and gulp, more physical) player, he just gets no hype on the Oilers board because he's not 6'4 and we obsess over tall forwards.

But c'mon lol, there's zero doubt in my mind that Holmgren would trade Couturier for Ekblad. They have an abundance of depth at the center position, Ekblad is basically exactly the d-man Philly would create if they could build one in a lab.

There's not many drafts at all where a 40 point, 3rd year player lands you the no.1 overall pick either, otherwise teams would trade for the no.1 pick all day long.

Schenn is as good defensively as our very own Sam Gagner. Definitely needs to put in a ton of work to become a good two way guy. Honestly if anything Schenn has been overrated on these boards as most people put him on the same level as Couturier.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

No. Couturier is hands down the better player right now.

There is zero chance the Flyers would trade Couturier for Ekblad. If you want to discuss Brayden Schenn, since you think he's better, we might consider it.

There's not one GM in this league IMO that would trade Aaron Ekblad after selecting him with a 1/2 pick for Sean Couturier. That's not crapping on the player, that's just being realistic.

Those GMs, if they had Couturier on their team, would never trade him for Ekblad.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Schenn is as good defensively as our very own Sam Gagner. Definitely needs to put in a ton of work to become a good two way guy. Honestly if anything Schenn has been overrated on these boards as most people put him on the same level as Couturier.

I didn't put him on the same level as Couturier. I said he's better than Couturier.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
You don't have the first overall? Also, who would we draft? Ekblad? We have Morin in the system and he is developing just the way the Flyers want him to. Ekblad isn't a sure thing either. Reinhart? Another big center with skating questions? Is that who we would take? The Flyers aren't in the position to trade roster players who make a huge impact on the game like Couts for draft picks, it's that simple.

Let's not act like Ekblad is a sure thing. He has been questioned for this draft as well.

The one thing that is for sure here is how good(elite) Couts is defensively. You don't find these players every day like people think.

One more thing, how do you know every GM does Ekblad for Couts? That's just baseless speculation and is most likely not true.

You're facing a likely 1st or 2nd round exit. Ever year your team gets blown out of the playoffs somehow. You seem a tiny bit comfortable with the position your team is in, considering you would refuse to upgrade your team significantly.

Considering how little Couturier's production is, the amount of ice time he receives, and the (defensive) situations he's thrust into, it doesn't take a Flyers' Scout to realize that he plays so much because of how much the play is in their own zone. Kinda plays into the whole defense thing. Considering this guy is already basically a 3rd defenseman, why not trade him for an actual defenseman?

There is no way this guy is improving his offensive skill set when it seems he is exclusively played in a defensive role - and really, why wouldn't he? With Giroux/Lecavalier as much MUCH better options?

Couturier is a fine 3rd liner who may very well become one of the top checking centers in the league. But don't kid yourself about him any further.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There is zero chance the Flyers would trade Couturier for Ekblad. If you want to discuss Brayden Schenn, since you think he's better, we might consider it.

Those GMs, if they had Couturier on their team, would never trade him for Ekblad.

That's your opinion, but honestly I think you're being naive.

No one trades a no.1/2 overall pick for that kind of return, and Ekblad's pedigree points very much to a Doughty/Weber level d-man at best, Erik Johnson at worst (who's better than anyone either the Oilers or Flyers have).

Kid is the dictionary definition of a blue chip stud d-man prospect. If I had Giroux/Lecavalier/Schenn to play the center position and all I had to give was Couturier to get an Ekblad, I do that all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

There's zero chance the Oilers would trade Ekblad if they're lucky enough to get him, nor will any team that ends up getting him.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

There's not one GM in this league IMO that would trade Aaron Ekblad with a 1/2 pick for Sean Couturier. That's not crapping on the player, that's just being realistic.

Why don't you ask flyers fans who is better and I think you'll quickly find out you might need to reevaluate.

Maybe they would move him for ekblad, maybe they wouldn't. I just know that GMs like the guys they pick especially if they are developing the way they like. That doesn't make them readily available for guys who have not played a game yet.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

Says a Flyers fan. Heard same thing about Richards and Carter at 1 time as well.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

The only thing Schenn has outright over Couturier right now is physicality. That's not to say Couturier isn't physical, but he doesn't go out of his way to check players all the time like Schenn does. Couturier though, as he's gotten used to playing with his slowly filling-out size, has gotten awesome at protecting the puck.

Couturier has better hands, has better awareness, is significantly better defensively, and skates just as well. He also steps up in big games where Schenn seems to go invisible.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

I got one of him pushing over Morrow.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Says a Flyers fan. Heard same thing about Richards and Carter at 1 time as well.

There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff involved in the Richards and Carter situations as well. Plus we got pretty ridiculous returns for them...

Simmonds + Schenn + Voracek + Couturier + Cousins + pick (used on Grossmann)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The only thing Schenn has outright over Couturier right now is physicality. That's not to say Couturier isn't physical, but he doesn't go out of his way to check players all the time like Schenn does. Couturier though, as he's gotten used to playing with his slowly filling-out size, has gotten awesome at protecting the puck.

Couturier has better hands, has better awareness, is significantly better defensively, and skates just as well. He also steps up in big games where Schenn seems to go invisible.

The thing with Couturier is he has unreal hockey IQ, but because he's not flashy you don't really notice him. Everyone was saying RNH had an amazing hockey IQ coming out of the draft, but IMO Couturier had the highest.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why don't you ask flyers fans who is better and I think you'll quickly find out you might need to reevaluate.

Maybe they would move him for ekblad, maybe they wouldn't. I just know that GMs like the guys they pick especially if they are developing the way they like. That doesn't make them readily available for guys who have not played a game yet.

Honestly asking fans is sometimes the worst way to get a read on the players. You might be better off asking Penguins fans actually to get a more accurate, less emotional read on a player. I watch a fair bit of the Flyers, my dad is a Flyers fan and we have the Center Ice package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad