Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Let's put Petterson in Utica and tank for Hughes, like Toronto put Nylander in the AHL to tank for Matthews.

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
Brandon Sutter will go on a streak to ensure Canucks' don't win the lottery pick.

Doesn't matter if Canucks are 0-45 once Sutter realizes the Canucks might win the pick, he will go on a tear and ensure the Canucks win games.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So what happens if Kakko surpasses Hughes at the draft in most scouts eyes and we still draft first? Kind of like how MacKinnon passed Jones at the memorial cup. Kakko is looking like a superstar right now. Ppg as a 17 year old...

Sounds iffy to pass on Hughes but he's dominating against men, he's a real horse out there.

Not saying Kakko becomes the consensus #1, I mean in like maybe 55% of the lists hes ranked first.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
So what happens if Kakko surpasses Hughes at the draft in most scouts eyes and we still draft first? Kind of like how MacKinnon passed Jones at the memorial cup. Kakko is looking like a superstar right now. Ppg as a 17 year old...

Sounds iffy to pass on Hughes but he's dominating against men, he's a real horse out there.

Not saying Kakko becomes the consensus #1, I mean in like maybe 55% of the lists hes ranked first.

If that hypothetical becomes reality, it will be the nicest problem the Canucks have had in their 48 year history.

Reactions: THE Green Man

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's put Petterson in Utica and tank for Hughes, like Toronto put Nylander in the AHL to tank for Matthews.
Jack Hughes would be nice. But even if the Canucks finish dead-last in the NHL they'd still only have a 20 percent chance of winning the lottery and drafting him. And after the last two drafts (Pettersson and Quinn Hughes), I'm thinking that sometimes the best players fall in the draft anyway for some reason. So the Canucks will end up with somebody who'll fit in with the rebuild.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008

I wouldn't base it on points, so I would still pick Hughes. He sets up anyone just as well as Pettersson, but does it while skating at a higher speed. I haven't seen Kakko aside from the U18's and he was good but not as dominant as Hughes on a shift-by-shift basis.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Jack Hughes would be nice. But even if the Canucks finish dead-last in the NHL they'd still only have a 20 percent chance of winning the lottery and drafting him. And after the last two drafts (Pettersson and Quinn Hughes), I'm thinking that sometimes the best players fall in the draft anyway for some reason. So the Canucks will end up with somebody who'll fit in with the rebuild.

It’s possible in the case of Pettersson (though Hischier is a stud and Heiskanen looks to be as well) but it’s almost certainly not the case with Hughes. Dahlen will likely be the more elite player and possibly Svechnikov too. Hughes is elite in ways but I think the hype has outpaced reality around here.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'd be happy if he challenged Hughes for #1, it makes the 2nd pick also great. A great fallback position.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
An early glance has me believing we're locked into a top-8 draft pick. That's if we somehow manage to finish best of the worst (OTT / MTL / NYR / DET / VAN)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
An early glance has me believing we're locked into a top-8 draft pick. That's if we somehow manage to finish best of the worst (OTT / MTL / NYR / DET / VAN)
Can't envision Montreal being worse. At the end of the day they have Price and Weber.

NYR at least has some level of depth on their roster and Lundqvist.

I think we are a guarantee for a bottom three finish.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't base it on points, so I would still pick Hughes. He sets up anyone just as well as Pettersson, but does it while skating at a higher speed. I haven't seen Kakko aside from the U18's and he was good but not as dominant as Hughes on a shift-by-shift basis.

trust me, its not based on points. Hes 17 years old dominating a mens league physically. He has freaky strength. If he can play center at the NHL level he may surpass Hughes by the new year.

Reactions: Westcoastsniper

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Gonna hurt falling out of the top 5 again, but hopefully we dont go on a winning streak in the last 10 again like ****ing idiots

We still got the 4th best player in the draft ! As annoyed as I was with them winning getting Hughes was an absolute steal so therefore I call last season a success

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Detroit gotta really rebuild, they dragged this out long enough.

Ottawa has the dubious honor of having, in my opinion, the only GM who's definitively more incompetent than ours, and they can't seem to stop pissing off their own players.

Those two teams are serious contenders for the best tank. The rest should find some way to avoid true tank, as they still got enough pride in them.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Detroit gotta really rebuild, they dragged this out long enough.

Ottawa has the dubious honor of having, in my opinion, the only GM who's definitively more incompetent than ours, and they can't seem to stop pissing off their own players.

Those two teams are serious contenders for the best tank. The rest should find some way to avoid true tank, as they still got enough pride in them.

I think Detroit UFA'd their way past us. I think Ottawa, Vancouver and Montreal are 'leading' the pack. Detroit and the Isles won't be too far behind.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'll defer to those who actually watch and then follow the top prospects for the NHL entry draft. But guys I respect like Craig Button and Bob McKenzie, who regularly polls NHL scouts, describe Jack Hughes as a 'generational' talent. So given the Canucks lottery luck, that almost assures they'll never be in a position to draft him.

Reactions: THE Green Man

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
First two months of schedule are absolutely brutal. No real home stand. Long road trips.

With how the D and goaltending look it’s safe bet we are bottom 5 heading into December.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
trust me, its not based on points. Hes 17 years old dominating a mens league physically. He has freaky strength. If he can play center at the NHL level he may surpass Hughes by the new year.

Even though his play in the end is a bit overconfident, he takes away the puck from three guys and carries it behind the goal line. There's a lot to like here.

So. Nap-o for Kakko?

Last edited:

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
Oh man. It's gonna be a looong season. This team is bad. Really bad. Sure there's some exciting players, story lines etc, but they are gonna lose a lot of games. I'm all for team tank, but my worry is that these kids are gonna get fed up and it'll affect their progression and attitude. The defense and goaltending are horrendous.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Maybe we should upgrade the tank to a space battleship.

Oh wow a star blazers reference!

When I was a little kid I was absolutely obsessed with this cartoon and would race home after school to watch it.

Best birthday ever was when I got a 18 inch model of the battleship that I still have tucked away in a box in my parents attic 35 years later.

:thumbu: Double thumbs up:thumbu: to me2 for taking me down memory lane and feeling like that little kid again.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
I would've rather had the 3rd pick and traded down. The results were lucky, doesn't mean the method to achieve them was successful.

Edit: getting Dahlin would have been a successful season, methods be damned

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Oh wow a star blazers reference!

When I was a little kid I was absolutely obsessed with this cartoon and would race home after school to watch it.

Best birthday ever was when I got a 18 inch model of the battleship that I still have tucked away in a box in my parents attic 35 years later.

:thumbu: Double thumbs up:thumbu: to me2 for taking me down memory lane and feeling like that little kid again.

In my faded memory every episode seemed to end "Oh no we are screwed! Oh wait, fire the wave motion gun. Yah we win!"

So many great Japanese cartoons back then, now it is overrun with cartoons which are just fronts for card games and such. You suck Simba, Kimba the the white lion is the one.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad