Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
adfaecdb0e312934fe22cec812bce804.jpg

Ah I remember this picture. I’m the balding tall guy on the left. Man the gun boys.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
So do we want Kaapa Kakko or Jack Hughes?

Jack Hughes. First, we can easily lock these two to long term contracts... and man just the story.. we go from the Sedins to the Hughes brothers.

Hughes is like a center version of Patrick Kane.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Jack Hughes. First, we can easily lock these two to long term contracts... and man just the story.. we go from the Sedins to the Hughes brothers.

Hughes is like a center version of Patrick Kane.

It’s questionable that he plays C in the NHL

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Ya? How many of those championship teams that bombed through preseason finished 26th, 29th, and 28th in league standings 3 years running?

Our preseason matches the flaming tire fire this team has been for the past 3 seasons. Grab a clue champ.

Preseason records don’t mean anything. Please. If we were 5-1 and not 1-5 then you would be saying the exact same thing.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
You do make some fair points, but here’s all I want from this team:

Compete HARD night in night out. Period. It sounds easier said than done, but what often happens when teams are eliminated from the playoffs by November/December, they stop competing hard and start going through the motions.

If the Canucks are slated to be a bad team this year? Fine. I just want them to show up working HARD every night.......and I believe that the best way to do that, is by having the right vets on the team to hold said kids accountable, while allowing the kids to grow their games in protected roles.

See? That’s the thing. I don’t really care that much if we miss the playoffs and are a lottery team? Why would I? We would just have a better chance of drafting a core player.

My biggest fear is that we ice a bunch of kids (move all the vets), GIVE kids roles in the NHL instead of making them EARN said roles, throw the kids to the wolves by playing them in positions that they are too green for, have their confidence destroyed, and have said kids going through the motions by mid November/early December.

Forcing a tank via veteran fire sale and via
“giving “ kids NHL roles, often fosters a lazy work environment. That’s why I dislike this notion of INDIRECT TANKING. Again - I point to the Oilers. There’s a reason why MANY Oiler players significantly elevated their games upon leaving Edmonton.....culture. That’s why I will ALWAYS support management for having an active presence in the UFA market.

If Edmonton and Buffalo have taught us anything, it’s that there’s more to a rebuild than good drafting and winning lotteries.

@CanaFan - I know you cited Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Toronto as examples, but I’ll leave you with a few thoughts:

1) Over the last 20-25 years, how many bad teams have been in the NHL that have remained bottom feeders or non playoff teams for years on end? In my opinion, for every Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Toronto created (by the way, Toronto hasn’t done jack yet and so I’m being generous by letting you cite the Leafs ;)), there are FAR more examples of bottom feeding teams that were not successful in rebuilding.

2) Chicago and Pittsburgh landed Toews, Kane, Crosby, and Malkin, but where did their other core players come from in the draft? Perhaps a team DOESNT have to spend years and years on end trying to win the lottery?......and instead, can realize that good picks can be had anywhere in the draft, and that fostering a good environment is often more conducive to maximizing a prospect?

If we review this post, I think you will understand why so many of us are baffled by the support you give benning and weisbrod.

Compete HARD night in and night out. Period.

Age or experience doesn't qualify someone to be a good mentor/leader. I think it's understood that good leaders lead by example, fair statement? Look at all the vets bennbrod acquired and than review which players consistantly put in a poor effort. These are the 'leaders' that are mentoring our young guys...

You want compete? These so called 'leaders' need to compete first. This will have a trickle-down effect on the younger players. Instead, these 'leaders' do the minimum and get awarded big contracts, more ice time and moved up in the lines. Why compete when they just need to do enough to get by?

Even in these preseason games, these vets know their spots secured so they half-ass it out there. Our prospects see this and we all wonder where the compete is on our team.

FFS...this is the first time that I honestly believe that our 'mentors' need mentors.

Who do you think is to blame for our lack of compete?

Obviously, working hard is not solved by adding any player who has experience. I rarely see the vets working hard and they still get rewarded?! The younger guys see their opportunities slip away cause the mgt/coach isn't disciplined enough to hold these vets responsible. Why work hard when nobody cares? Hope to get traded early and given equal opportunity would be on anybody's mind when in a similar situation.

As you said, the right set of vets are needed to hold these kids accountable. Are most of us wrong for blaming bennbrod for his acquisitions?

I can honestly say, I was one of the few who voiced my anger and frustration when GMMG got fired and I was especially opposed to benning/linden. I was 100% positive that we wouldn't be in the Playoffs and that we were destined for failure. AND, I'm still on track with my 10 year prediction before this team is able to actually compete...I could have said, make the Playoffs and I'd still feel confident with the timeline. This frustration is not about making Playoffs, it's about the future of this team.

I'd argue your biggest fear is not what you stated, but in fact, it is going through a rebuild like the Oilers. You like to constantly mention them as a poor example.

AND GUESS WHAT! We have become the oilers...relying on our 1st round picks, poor development of our later draft picks, horrible D and average-poor goaltending. Except we have to deal with the lottery so it's a tougher go for us.

Icing kids is not an issue for me and it shouldn't be for you either. Put these prospects into the game, let them learn and give them an opportunity. They will figure out what's required to compete in the NHL and they can work on it during the summer. We call them kids, but they really aren't. They're young adults capable of understanding their surroundings and making decisions for themselves.

What really destroys confidence is working hard for someone without reward. Watching someone else, vets, reap all the benefits and rewards for lessor work and production. Hope is what fuels people and if you take that away, you truly destroy any confidence in that individual. Yes, a few kids made it...but when the rest of the prospects see the LEs, Granlunds, Gagners, etc. Frustration grows and hope dims... and if you think they don't pay attention and talk about this, you haven't got a clue what it's like in the real world. People are the same everywhere so don't believe that the prospects standards are higher than others because they play pro hockey.

More teams have been successful with the vet sales than teams that have not. Call it a tank, direct or indirect, it doesn't mean sh*t... the CANUCKS FUTURE COMPLETELY DEPENDS ON BENNBROD and the decisions they both make; via the players they acquire, the prospects they draft, the trades, the people they hire and the culture they provide.

Thus far:

- there's only 3 highend prospects we have. A high majority of the other prospects, including Jake and Joulevis, are not panning out and have been disappointing with their development. Drafting has been bad considering where we are drafting on the totem pole. Fail.

- the trades that benning has made are worse. Maybe 1...possibly 2 good trades out of all them with very few draft picks acquired. Fail.

- the players/vets bennbrod acquired have been equally dismal and given long term contracts at amounts far exceeding the norms. These same players brought in for leadership roles and mentoring duties have proven to underperform and not provide any effort for the vast majority of their games played.

- the coaches that they hired so far have all been 'yes' men, and I believe that was the main quality they looked for. Hire a coach from the AHL and they will agree to anything just to get the opportunity to coach in the NHL. Bennbrod can tell them who to play and who to sit...maybe not directly, but in their conniving ways. This will not work with a bonafide NHL coach with tenure. Fail.

- the latter two points above are unarguably corellated to the culture of a team. I think even you have to concede that the current culture of the Canucks is not positive. This is difficult to judge/grade, but considering the players know that their peers, media and fan base don't think they'll be competitive, they can't be enthusiastic. They have failed to provide effort in the preseason games and the young kids already know that certain vets will be gifted positions not based on their performance. I would consider the culture of this team a fail at this time.

As you can see, I just can't comprehend how you can support bennbrod when they're at the root of the problems. They are genesis.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
truer words have never been spoken. Due to my infractions on here, I cannot like your post......but I like your post good sir.

Thank you sir, And I must say I also like your posts which are as stunning and brave as Caitlyn Jenner. I think you’re reading a bit too much into preseason, keep the faith. Trust the plan.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The funny thing is I still remember arguing with Jack and Drop for refusing to join the Tank in the 2015/2016 season, I eventually joined that year after we went on a losing streak. (Yayyy we got Olli Juolevi :mad:)

Here we are now, almost half a decade older... except now it’s gotten worst and the tanking is starting in pre-season with a -16 goal differential...

Are we aiming for a decade here? :(

This management team needs to go.

Pro tank since 13 so if Benning and everybody else gets fired tomorrow then i'm probably working on a decade.

You still have a couple of years on me son :rolleyes:

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
I don’t think RMB watches the games... I don’t understand how you could possibly watch the last 3 games and not see how just plain bad this team is.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Canucks take Jack Hughes and either him or Petterson move to the Right wing. it is very simple

if you Hughes cannot play Center in the NHL he can be our Patrick Kane on the wing. Lord knows we need help everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad