Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I can do without. Kid is going to be a stud. I don't need this kid lighting it up and being the one beacon that allows Benning to stay another year.
Petterson with 70pts but the Canucks dead last isn't gonna save his job. One thing we know about Aquilini is that he's for sure already searching for a replacement. He did it with Nonis and then with Gillis and there's already been rumours of other GMs coming here.

Reactions: Jack Burton

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
No, a rebuild hasn't even started. This has simply been a bad team that has picked up some good prospects because that's how the draft works. This is the first year that Benning has not spent to the cap. Until now, every year he has spent to the cap glutting the team with veterans. He has traded away draft picks and refused to trade any of his players for picks. That's not the trademark of a rebuild. And while we haven't spent to the cap this year Benning continued to give out big, long-term contracts to veterans.

The Canucks are not in the midst of a rebuild.

This is 100% bang on and actually one of my greatest fears surrounding the limited young talent we do have.

There are basically two likely scenarios:

1) Benning falsely believes he’s got all the pieces necessary to declare the rebuild over and try to make the playoffs with the young core moving forward.

This core, only having two star caliber players in Pettersson and Boeser, cannot compete with the true Cup contending teams and we are a perennial 6-10th place team that would need to have career defining series from multiple players just to make it past the first round.

2) A new GM takes over and recognizes we are still several key pieces away from contention and begins a true rebuild.

By the time the actual rebuild is complete, guys like Horvat are almost 30.

Unless the new rebuild brings in superstar caliber rookies who can contribute almost immediately, we may see a disconnect between the prime/peaks of our current young star players and the future draft picks brought in the true rebuild.

The sooner they fire Benning and hire someone competent, the better. That way guys like Pettersson will still be around 25 when the new batch of young players crack the roster.

Remember that NHL forwards statistically peak very early (21-23) so if we want to get the most bang for our buck, we need to synchronize the peaks of as much of our roster as possible.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Side note: the leafs are one of the best drafting teams in the top 10 ever since they screwed up with Schenn

7th - Kadri
5th - Rielly
8th - Nylander
4th - Marner
1st Matthews ( obvious ).

But that's their entire core right now. They don't have another core player they didn't draft in the first round. Well besides Tavares..

Goes to show you can't miss at the top of the draft.

Imagine replacing Rielly and Nylander with juolevi and virtanen

Reactions: timw33

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
The FA class for Dmen was pretty crap this summer. I might have gone after John Moore, he's decent still in his 20's and wouldn't cost much. Maybe Ian Cole as well for same reasons. Neither would blow the doors off but better than MDZ or Pouliot and wouldn't break the bank. I would have much preferred that over what we did in FA this summer. I would have liked us to explore trade options with other teams for a strong top 4 Dman. Yeah we don't have much too offer teams for trades but you'd think with a competent management team they'd be able to conjure up something.

I agree, I don't know a ton about Cole and Moore but it appears they would have been upgrades to MDZ especially on the left side and as pretty steady placeholders until Hughes and, hopefully, Juolevi are ready to join the team full time. They have defensemen in numbers on the left side, just clearly not quality when Edler is still by far the best option there. As far as the summer UFAs, I see value in Roussel and Beagle but the contracts are richer and longer than I would have preferred. In two years time you need to hope guys like Gadjovich, MacEwen, and maybe Lockwood or Jasek are pushing for those bottom six roles but Roussel and Beagle will still have a couple years left. The previous summer's signings were worse, they've fixed one by letting Gagner go and Del Zotto should be gone soon too. Trade wise, I'd be looking at what they could get for Baertschi. If someone is willing to move a 2nd round good pick or solid right-handed defense prospect for him I'd be all over that. Maybe look at a team worried about the cap looking to peel off a higher cap hit on defense than what Baertschi represents in dollars. I don't think they have the assets to move for a top 4 though unless it's a Dahlen and/or high pick and I wouldn't want to do that.

What this really exposes is how the picks given up for Baertschi, Vey, Gudbranson etc have potentially cost in adding to their defense pool and they desperately need Hughes and Juolevi to pan out, Tryamkin to return, and at least one of Woo, Brisebois, Chatfield, and Rathbone to emerge in a meaningful way because the pool is shallow, especially on the right side. I'd feel a hell of a lot better if they would have picked Sergachev or McAvoy in 2016, preferably McAvoy. Really poor call there.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Yup.

Hitting on your Top 10 picks doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be a true contender, but missing on Top 10 picks will set back an organization for years.

Look at Buffalo or Arizona. That Strome pick set the Coyotes back years. They tanked to get McDavid or Eichel, and instead got a player they've gotten no NHL contribution from and are still searching for answers. They'd be one of the more exciting teams in the league had they picked Marner. Buffalo missing on Nylander (Sergachev) & to a degree Reinhart (Draisaitl) set them back bigly as well.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Yup.

Hitting on your Top 10 picks doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be a true contender, but missing on Top 10 picks will set back an organization for years.

Look at Buffalo or Arizona. That Strome pick set the Coyotes back years. They tanked to get McDavid or Eichel, and instead got a player they've gotten no NHL contribution from and are still searching for answers. They'd be one of the more exciting teams in the league had they picked Marner. Buffalo missing on Nylander (Sergachev) & to a degree Reinhart (Draisaitl) set them back bigly as well.

Perfect example is the islanders who were never able to build around Tavares because they screwed up all their other top 5 picks.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Perfect example is the islanders who were never able to build around Tavares because they screwed up all their other top 5 picks.
Great call.

Their top draft picks after Tavares is a who's who of who's that. The only one that panned out was Nino, and even then he was just given away for a 4th line grinder.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I propose the title to include someone's brilliant quote of "the sky isn't falling, no really, it isn't!"

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Side note: the leafs are one of the best drafting teams in the top 10 ever since they screwed up with Schenn

7th - Kadri
5th - Rielly
8th - Nylander
4th - Marner
1st Matthews ( obvious ).

But that's their entire core right now. They don't have another core player they didn't draft in the first round. Well besides Tavares..

Imagine replacing Rielly and Nylander with juolevi and virtanen

It's also the reason the Jets have emerged as a strong, deep, young team, just nailing all but 1 (stanley) 1st round pick since moving to Winnipeg: Schiefle Trouba Morrisey Connor Ehlers Laine Roslovic. Not to mention getting Copp Lowry Hellybuck in later rounds.

I'd say between the 2014/16 drafts, and the subsequent loss of 3 good assets from the 14' draft, we've set ourselves back 3 seasons.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Negativity isn’t my schtick. Negativity is a realistic reflection of the current state of affairs with the Canucks. What else would you call it?

Does Pettersson look good? Absolutely. But what did Benning do this year? He went out and locked up 2 more veterans to long-term contracts with NTC’s. He replaced the Sedins with Beagle and Roussel, and gave them a lot of money for the types of players they are. He also brought back the same defense.

I couldn’t care less about progression right now. The mission of team tank has but one primary goal: new management. And for me at this point I would say at all costs.

How do you figure Beagle and Roussel are here to replace the Sedins? They were signed for bottom 6 roles and minutes, yes at too much money and term, and serve as expensive upgrades over guys like Gaunce and Granlund in the short term but Pettersson and Goldobin, at least so far, are taking the offensive top 6 openings left by the twins and that's how it should be.

No disputing where the team has been at and the state it's in right at this point in time but it's not without any positives despite the poor leadership from the top and some truly stupid moves along the way. So the primary goal of tanking is new management? I always thought the goal through tanking was to draft high and accumulate young assets to the longer term benefit of the team while showing gradual progression. Are you prepared to continue to cheer for embarrassing losses until Benning is fired or the team is sold and would that include hoping young players like Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes don't develop and fail miserably? It's their progress that's going to largely determine Benning's job security and they may very well save his job. In 3 years from now, if they're fighting for a playoff spot because of these young players and with Benning still employed, do you still cheer against them?

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Except they have one of the top prospect pools in the league because they’ve been so bad for so long, and have barely graduated anyone. If you rank teams by the quality of U-23 players the Canucks aren’t anywhere near the top.

Yeah? No kidding, I never picked up on that. Thanks for enlightening me.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
How do you figure Beagle and Roussel are here to replace the Sedins? They were signed for bottom 6 roles and minutes, yes at too much money and term, and serve as expensive upgrades over guys like Gaunce and Granlund in the short term but Pettersson and Goldobin, at least so far, are taking the offensive top 6 openings left by the twins and that's how it should be.

No disputing where the team has been at and the state it's in right at this point in time but it's not without any positives despite the poor leadership from the top and some truly stupid moves along the way. So the primary goal of tanking is new management? I always thought the goal through tanking was to draft high and accumulate young assets to the longer term benefit of the team while showing gradual progression. Are you prepared to continue to cheer for embarrassing losses until Benning is fired or the team is sold and would that include hoping young players like Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes don't develop and fail miserably? It's their progress that's going to largely determine Benning's job security and they may very well save his job. In 3 years from now, if they're fighting for a playoff spot because of these young players and with Benning still employed, do you still cheer against them?

3 years seems like an incredible stretch, in my opinion.

As I mentioned before, outside of EP40, BB6, and BH53, the forward group we have is below average at best. Those three are the sole reasons this current team is marginally more watchable than 10 hour footage of paint drying.

Defense is a complete and utter nightmare. Edler and Tanev can barely hold the line, while the rest run around like chickens with their heads cut off. And I'm not even gonna mention our goalie situation.

Competing for playoff spot is f***ing useless unless team has a legit shot at the cup, or if the team has enough platinum level talents who could benefit from the experience - which will be nigh useless if said team gets bounced in round 1 year after year.

The only way this team could even dream about having the remotest possibility of being a legit playoff team is if literally EVERYTHING works out the best possible way - Tryamkin returns, OJ turn it around, Q. Hughes becomes a top pair D, Edler/Tanev do not decline TOO much, we win the draft with more platinum talents, Demko becomes top tier goalie.

This "best case scenario will happen 100% of the time so I better double or triple down on it" type of thinking is exactly what got this team into its current embarrassing shape.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

It can do both... 2 birds with one stone- and the sicker bird that needs to be put down is Jim Benning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad