Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
This is where I'm at too. I'd prefer to lose, but I'd like to see Petterrsson/Boeser/Horvat make progress too. Giving up a bunch of goals in a losing cause is fine by me, but I'd like to see our young players have success as well. A Calder for Petterrsson and a bottom three finish would be my ideal tank. Not sure I can get on board with the scorched earth logic.

I would say for most (all?) that want the Canucks to get thrashed the reason behind is getting Benning/Weisbrod fired and nothing else. Once that is done I am sure most would like games like vs CGY. Lots of points for Pettersson, lots goals, entertaining games - Canucks loss.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I would say for most (all?) that want the Canucks to get thrashed the reason behind is getting Benning/Weisbrod fired and nothing else. Once that is done I am sure most would like games like vs CGY. Lots of points for Pettersson, lots goals, entertaining games - Canucks loss.

That makes sense, but if Canucks go 1-81 with 81 losses like the last game against Calgary I think Benning/Weisbrod are still getting fired despite Petterrsson setting NHL scoring records. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

#excitingtank

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Exactly this. While Weisbrod and Benning are here I want the Canucks to be victimized every game. 7-0 scores. Loss after loss after loss.

Once they're fired, if we bring in intelligent management that start a rebuild here I'll be perfectly happy cheering for exciting games, and even some wins. While the focus will be on an actual rebuild, each win won't piss me off like wins do today.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Exactly this. While Weisbrod and Benning are here I want the Canucks to be victimized every game. 7-0 scores. Loss after loss after loss.

Once they're fired, if we bring in intelligent management that start a rebuild here I'll be perfectly happy cheering for exciting games, and even some wins. While the focus will be on an actual rebuild, each win won't piss me off like wins do today.

That makes sense to explain it. I don't understand the thought process, though.

I guess for me the writing is on the wall for the current Canucks' brass. We have this season (and potentially one more) until the upward swing is expected. If the team gets there, that's the core we dance with and build around to see where the team goes. If they don't, that falls to the feet of management.

I don't think there is a significant chance that performance this year impacts their likelihood of being let go. It would have to go REALLY sideways. And, I can't support a two-digit losing streak with no hope because that means there are some real problems that will take longer to get over.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah Im kinda stuck in the middle on this one, i wanna see our young guys accel but really want that top 2 pick. Would be great if Pettersson Boeser and Horvat could lead this team to a respectacable record and then win the lottery and get Kakko/Hughes bro but thats pretty unlikely so kinda torn. Season is early so I will cheer for wins still

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That makes sense to explain it. I don't understand the thought process, though.

I guess for me the writing is on the wall for the current Canucks' brass. We have this season (and potentially one more) until the upward swing is expected. If the team gets there, that's the core we dance with and build around to see where the team goes. If they don't, that falls to the feet of management.

I don't think there is a significant chance that performance this year impacts their likelihood of being let go. It would have to go REALLY sideways. And, I can't support a two-digit losing streak with no hope because that means there are some real problems that will take longer to get over.

And I’m hoping for exactly that scenario. And yes, there are some real problems with this team. It’s going to take a real long time for this team to get fixed. They aren’t going to magically be competitive next year or the year after. They still haven’t even started to rebuild.

Reactions: Jack Burton

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
And I’m hoping for exactly that scenario. And yes, there are some real problems with this team. It’s going to take a real long time for this team to get fixed. They aren’t going to magically be competitive next year or the year after. They still haven’t even started to rebuild.

Haven't started?

If we compare growth of Leafs, Jets, Sabres with the Canucks. I'd think we are on a similar trajectory. We have to assume that Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes are legit. But, the combinations of Laine, Ehlers, Connor & Matthews, Marner, & Nylander(?) & Eichel, Reinhardt, Dahlin, & Middlestadt. The pieces appear to be there but just a couple years behind in development (there is still a chance they won't measure up, I get that).

So, if we add one more. Horvat continues in his role. Demko pans out as our goalie of the future. Are we not 2 years into the rebuild? Beyond the trading for pick failures... of course.

If we add a couple of additional names for role players (Dahlen, Goldobin, Gadjovich, Lind, etc.) I think we have a decent core in the making.

I don't anticipate any "magic"... but the team will improve. This core has a couple years to figure that out and the answer will depend on if they become the Oilers and we have to blow it up and rebuild (Hall, Eberle torch to McDavid and Draisatl). Or, whether it sticks. Both are potential options. There's no magic here.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Haven't started?

If we compare growth of Leafs, Jets, Sabres with the Canucks. I'd think we are on a similar trajectory. We have to assume that Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes are legit. But, the combinations of Laine, Ehlers, Connor & Matthews, Marner, & Nylander(?) & Eichel, Reinhardt, Dahlin, & Middlestadt. The pieces appear to be there but just a couple years behind in development (there is still a chance they won't measure up, I get that).

So, if we add one more. Horvat continues in his role. Demko pans out as our goalie of the future. Are we not 2 years into the rebuild? Beyond the trading for pick failures... of course.

If we add a couple of additional names for role players (Dahlen, Goldobin, Gadjovich, Lind, etc.) I think we have a decent core in the making.

I don't anticipate any "magic"... but the team will improve. This core has a couple years to figure that out and the answer will depend on if they become the Oilers and we have to blow it up and rebuild (Hall, Eberle torch to McDavid and Draisatl). Or, whether it sticks. Both are potential options. There's no magic here.

No, a rebuild hasn't even started. This has simply been a bad team that has picked up some good prospects because that's how the draft works. This is the first year that Benning has not spent to the cap. Until now, every year he has spent to the cap glutting the team with veterans. He has traded away draft picks and refused to trade any of his players for picks. That's not the trademark of a rebuild. And while we haven't spent to the cap this year Benning continued to give out big, long-term contracts to veterans.

The Canucks are not in the midst of a rebuild.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They won't do a proper rebuild because Aquilini wants his dad to see a Cup won in Vancouver before he dies.

Vancouver Canucks: Ownership wants a fast rebuild for a different reason

Funny thing is the team would be trending up if they actually started a proper rebuild back in 2013. But the constant attempt to make the playoffs, to the point where they still haven't started a rebuild and have instead just ended up with a rotten hockey team, has made the chances of this team winning a Cup within the next decade extremely slim to none.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
One of the first thoughts I had when I found out my grandma died was how she didn't get to see a cup win. She was the one who got my entire family interested in sports and that was basically our main bonding point. I understand where he's coming from.

But this is a business and if he REALLY wanted to see a cup win he should probably hire smarter people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad