Speculation: Price to Carolina ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Neutral fan here. To me Price has negative trade value because of his horrible contract.
Too long, too much with Price being too old and too mediocre.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I love how eveybody ****s on Prices contract, yet all know we would have lost Price if Bergevin would have offered $1 less. 25 teams would have offered the same contract if he was a free agent when he signed his contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I do love all the "how can Carolina win with Mrazek and Reimer" when we're living in a timeline where we literally had a Niemi vs Leighton Stanley Cup Final. Hell, the Canes already made it to the Final with Arturs Irbe and Kevin Weekes. And its not like they were in the ECF last year with Mrazek in net.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I love how eveybody s***ts on Prices contract, yet all know we would have lost Price if Bergevin would have offered $1 less. 25 teams would have offered the same contract if he was a free agent when he signed his contract.
The funny thing is, Montreal would probably be a better team if they could put that extra money elsewhere in their roster

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price is a below average goaltender with 7 years left on his contract. Price with 50% retention, at 5.75, is bad. Price at 8.5M is basically the Black Plague.

Price at $5.75M on a cup contender from 33-38 is not bad. Keep dreaming. If the Habs do this, they might be making a massive mistake. Risks applies two ways, not just one. So many fans are saying he is done... just like they tried with Weber when he was hurt. It's propaganda at it's finest

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
This is an extremely stupid way of looking at things since the cap has more than doubled since the start of the cap era. Marc-Andre Fleury’s $5M salary in 2008-2009 took up 8.82% of the cap, which would be $7.18M in today’s NHL and he’s not the only Stanley Cup winning goaltender who took up a larger percentage of the cap than $6.1M is today.

Not only that, but there are only a handful of teams that have goalies that make over $6.1M. And most of those signed their extensions recently (in the past couple years). Literally the only way that condition could be satisfied is if one of Nashville, Boston, Montreal, or NYR won the cup in the past ~6-7 years (or if Winnipeg won it last year).

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have trouble supporting Price because his numbers and play are ass. Absolute ass.

I do know that if he is ever moved to a strong team, a contender, they will be getting a very good goalie. Price has been unfocused and pouty for the past couple years, he needs a change of scenery. That goalie is still there, the motivation and desire are not.

I think there would be GM's willing to take a risk on him, with a couple mill retained or in exchange for a bad contract. 50% retained is a moot point, it would never happen. Makes no sense.

How do you know that he's been unfocused and pouty for the past couple years? Has Carey told you this himself? Have you been in the locker room with the Canadiens? Has the media reported this? Do you have some sort of way to view alternate timelines, and see exactly how he will perform on every different team in the league?

If not, then I think it's a lot more reasonable to just use Occam's Razor and say that the 32 year a goaltender, who has never been the same since he suffered a major in his age 28 season, might be following the natural aging curve that NHL players follow from the ages of 28-32 and onward, which is significant decline.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It's going to come to the point where the difference between being a good GM and not being a good GM is the ability to stick to your guns and watch a popular player walk out the door without offering him a deal because you know it's the right move in the big picture.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Slavin + 1rs
For
Price (3.5 mil retained) + Mete

tenor.gif

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I love how eveybody s***ts on Prices contract, yet all know we would have lost Price if Bergevin would have offered $1 less. 25 teams would have offered the same contract if he was a free agent when he signed his contract.

Agreed. GM's consistently make short sighted decisions. Always have and always will. However, none of that changes the reality of the situation today though: Price has one of the worst contracts in the league and has negative value. Nobody's taking on the 2020 version of Price just because they would have signed the 2017 version of Price at the time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. GM's consistently make short sighted decisions. Always have and always will. However, none of that changes the reality of the situation today though: Price has one of the worst contracts in the league and has negative value.

Price does not have one of the worse contracts in the league. He is still considered one of the best and anybody who is impartial, will tell you he is struggling cause the Habs team D sucks this year! No goalie would have good stats with our team D this year.

Price is $1.5M overpaid. You change his teams and he plays on a top 10 team, the story changes overnight and you know it. You act like Price is like Alzner or Lucic. It's comical.

Reactions: Godzilla

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This is an extremely stupid way of looking at things since the cap has more than doubled since the start of the cap era. Marc-Andre Fleury’s $5M salary in 2008-2009 took up 8.82% of the cap, which would be $7.18M in today’s NHL and he’s not the only Stanley Cup winning goaltender who took up a larger percentage of the cap than $6.1M is today.
extremely stupid way of looking at it just thinks that the facts dont lie that high priced goalies dont get the job done

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would the Canes trade assets when Holtby is a UFA this offseason? They can (and will most likely) just go after him?

Right?

Very possible. Holtby might work out. It's harder for goalies to find a starting opening job than players so you might be able to convince him to sign for cheap.

How long has the Oilers, Flames, Islanders, Canes, Avs, Coyotes been looking for a goalies and have tried options like Holtby? Price is a star and elite level. People trying to double down on his stats and don't understand how bad the Habs team D is this year.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Posting without comment

Carey Price:
Save Percentage: .904 (47th leaguewide)
GAA: 2.95 (36th leaguewide)

GSAA (Goals Saved Above Average, score & venue adjusted, per Evolving Hockey): -5.91 (62nd leaguewide)
GSAx (Goals Saved Above Expectation, score & venue adjusted, per Evolving Hockey): -11.1 (68th leaguewide)

Contract: 10.5 million (highest in the league)

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Price at $5.75M on a cup contender from 33-38 is not bad. Keep dreaming. If the Habs do this, they might be making a massive mistake. Risks applies two ways, not just one. So many fans are saying he is done... just like they tried with Weber when he was hurt. It's propaganda at it's finest

Right. I suppose NHL.com, which shows that Price has the 7th worst SV% this season among goalies with at least 25 games played, and the 11th worst SV% over the past three seasons among goalies with at least 100 games played, are both just "propaganda at it's finest."

upload_2020-1-13_11-4-41.png

upload_2020-1-13_11-2-22.png

And I guess the same goes for Evolving Hockey's GSAx model, which ranks Carey Price 6th worst in GSAx over the past 3 seasons.

upload_2020-1-13_10-59-12.png

Man, poor Carey. Not only is the guy pouty and unfocused, but the NHL and other NHL statistic websites are all posting propaganda that makes him look bad!

Imagine how hard his life would be if he was actually a bad goaltender?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right. I suppose NHL.com, which shows that Price has the 7th worst SV% this season among goalies with at least 25 games played, and the 11th worst SV% over the past three seasons among goalies with at least 100 games played, are both just "propaganda at it's finest."

View attachment 307121

View attachment 307119

And I guess the same goes for Evolving Hockey's GSAx model, which ranks Carey Price 6th worst in GSAx over the past 3 seasons.

View attachment 307115

Man, poor Carey. Not only is the guy pouty and unfocused, but the NHL and other NHL statistic websites are all posting propaganda that makes him look bad!

Imagine how hard his life would be if he was actually a bad goaltender?

12 months ago (Dec of 18 to Apr of 19) and you think he has decline that much in such a short span? You are not fooling anybody who knows what Price can do when he is on his game. He has checked out cause our team D sucks this year and we had too many injuries and rookies.

The ability he has in net playing on a cup contender is a game changer. Most know this but fans going to be fans and fall for the latest trend.

Price almost got us in the playoffs last year when he stepped up. Ability is not the question mark, putting a team in front of him that he has confidence in is the bigger problem.

LMlldi7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad