Speculation: Price to Carolina ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You can drop the $10M cap hit narrative cause everyone knows the Habs will retain to some degree if Price (big if) is traded. I have the retention at $2.5M bringing it down to $8M AAV. If you feel you can win with a $5M or $6M goalie, all the power to you.

Avs have more cap space than that from what I can see. But if they feel they only have $6M for their goalie, that is their prerogative.

The Avs have Makar, Landeskog and MacKinnon all needing new contracts in the next few years. Just because the cap space isn't currently used doesn't mean it's available.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I see how habs are trying to use every little argument to try and show price is still a capable goalie, just keep him for the next 6 and a half years

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Avs have Makar, Landeskog and MacKinnon all needing new contracts in the next few years. Just because the cap space isn't currently used doesn't mean it's available.

I'm aware. What amount of money do you have allocated for your two goalies moving forward? $6M? Or much much less? Price at $8M plus $1M back-up = $9M. We talking about $4M gap right with the possibility you win cups in the current MacKinnon window with Price? Plus MacKinnon just said recently he would leave money on the table again. I'm very jealous to be honest

Honestly, I don't see major problems with the Avs salary cap. If Point and Laine can be bridged, so can Makar.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Salary cap hits and July bonus money is not a secrete. The trends of the Canes not liking the July money is not hard to find bud. Don't be sensitive to it... the evidence is there.

I think you'd agree though, that the "trends" and "evidence" were all under previous ownership, Karmanos, who was notoriously cheap. There really aren't any trends and not much evidence under Dundon as he's too new. Of course, any GM/Owner would want to avoid bonus money if they can, that's just common sense and not unique.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Habs would take that goalie on... If it's the Canes, We can take both Reimer and Mrazek if required and give Price and Lindgren.

Price ($8M AAV) plus Lindgren = $8.7M
vs
Reimer + Mrazek = $6.525M

Basically talking about $2.175M in cap hit here but you are getting a top 5 goalie. If you don't believe he is still a top 5 goalie, why you even bother trading for him? You don't get to take Price with retention for a cheap return and tell us he is not a top 5 or top 10 goalie. That's comical. We are not liquidating him cause we want to trade him. We only trade him if he opens up his NMC and we can get a solid return cause he needs to play for a contender and we have Primeau in the system while we want to move towards youth more
So Canes give up the better 2 goalies in the deal?

I'm willing to be 95% of HFBoards feels $6M is too much for Price at this point

Reactions: Svechhammer

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think you'd agree though, that the "trends" and "evidence" were all under previous ownership, Karmanos, who was notoriously cheap. There really aren't any trends and not much evidence under Dundon as he's too new. Of course, any GM/Owner would want to avoid bonus money if they can, that's just common sense and not unique.

You know what they say about the problem with common sense...

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I love how eveybody s***ts on Prices contract, yet all know we would have lost Price if Bergevin would have offered $1 less. 25 teams would have offered the same contract if he was a free agent when he signed his contract.

No, they wouldn't have.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Salary cap hits and July bonus money is not a secrete. The trends of the Canes not liking the July money is not hard to find bud. Don't be sensitive to it... the evidence is there.

Trend? What the heck are you talking about? At that point, Dundon had been the owner of the team for a year and a half, and had completely gutted the front office and coaching staff the previous offseason. There were exactly 0 data entries about how this owner with this front office and coaching staff would handle an entire offseason together.

Reactions: DaveG

Gaud

May 11, 2017
If nothing goes well before the break and we decide to rebuild and trade Price, one of the best destination for him would be Carolina, who's without a true elite #1 goaltender.

From our biggest news outlet here:

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/rumeurs-lnh-carey-price-tenterait-il-les-hurricanes-1.7186893

Is Price going to the Hurricane ?
What would be the package from Carolina, they also have 2 first ?

is it a possibility for the Hurricane ?

Reimer + 2020 first + Pesce

FOR

Price + 2.5-3M retention

So weird! Just today i was arguing against the fact that he would go to a contender, but rather to a team that BECOMES a contender with him in the lineup

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Oh yeah? Price for Seabrook and Crawford. Price for Martin Jones plus cap dump(another one). Who says no now?
Chicago says no. Seabrook is on a one way ticket to the LTIR express and has less caphit. Crawford is a UFA at the end of the season and Lehner appears to of taken over as future starter

SJS probably say no too. I don't see another pure capdump on their roster to go with Jones and they can't afford to throw Price's caphit in there with E. Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, E. Kane, Meier, Hertle, and Couture. They can't continue to live on the resurrected corpse of Jumbo Joe and Labanc is going to expect to get paid next season.

Reactions: Starat327

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has 6 more years at 10m. Dude has 3 years of trending down after this season. Even at half retained this contract is a negative value.

False. He was the Price of old from Dec - end of the season last year. The team in front of him plays a huge factor. Ability to steal a game is still there and he has checked out in Montreal it appears. It has nothing to do with decline, it's about his patience with the Habs to ice a competitive roster in front of him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Chicago says no. Seabrook is on a one way ticket to the LTIR express and has less caphit. Crawford is a UFA at the end of the season and Lehner appears to of taken over as future starter

SJS probably say no too. I don't see another pure capdump on their roster to go with Jones and they can't afford to throw Price's caphit in there with E. Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, E. Kane, Meier, Hertle, and Couture. They can't continue to live on the resurrected corpse of Jumbo Joe and Labanc is going to expect to get paid next season.

I’d probably do Martin Jones and Vlasic for Price if Vlasic and Jones would both waive.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
False. He was the Price of old from Dec - end of the season last year. The team in front of him plays a huge factor. Ability to steal a game is still there and he has checked out in Montreal it appears. It has nothing to do with decline, it's about his patience with the Habs to ice a competitive roster in front of him.
Souunds like what you wish was true. All advance stats say otherwise. Save% is a team stat and so is GAA.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm aware. What amount of money do you have allocated for your two goalies moving forward? $6M? Or much much less? Price at $8M plus $1M back-up = $9M.

We talking about $4M gap right with the possibility you win cups in the current McKinnon window with Price?

Honestly, I don't see major problems with the Avs salary cap. If Point and Laine can be bridged, so can Makar.

I want to pay my goalies as little as possible, just like every other player on the team, in order to try to get the most performance for the cap space. And, I don't see how Carey Price gives me more performance for the cap space, even at $8m, than Grubauer/Francouz do at a combined $4.283m. I'd much rather add a solid 3C, or more defensive depth, which I can do with the $4.7m in cap space that we have without Price.

And, the issue with giving Makar a bridge contract, rather than trying to get him locked up long term now, is that he'll continue to improve and the $8-9m long term contract we could potentially sign him to this offseason becomes a $11-12m contract...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I’d probably do Martin Jones and Vlasic for Price if Vlasic and Jones would both waive.

Vlasic is from Montreal, so I would imagine he'd be willing to waive

Jones might as well if San Jose tells him he's no longer the starter

Given Price's upside though, I think San Jose might have to sweeten the deal a little

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Honestly you might have to add. Price is that valuable to Montreal.
I can only add after July 7th, 2020. The NHL Central Registry will nix the trade otherwise.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We are going to be subjected to a lot more of these in the coming months as Habs fans come around to how bad the Price contract is. The team is stuck and some fans will try and pawn of Price as if he still has value. Nope. Price is a Hab for life.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want to pay my goalies as little as possible, just like every other player on the team, in order to try to get the most performance for the cap space. And, I don't see how Carey Price gives me more performance for the cap space, even at $8m, than Grubauer/Francouz do at a combined $4.283m. I'd much rather add a solid 3C, or more defensive depth, which I can do with the $4.7m in cap space that we have without Price.

And, the issue with giving Makar a bridge contract, rather than trying to get him locked up long term now, is that he'll continue to improve and the $8-9m long term contract we could potentially sign him to this offseason becomes a $11-12m contract...

I would fire you as my GM if your plan was to run with meh goalies with that kind of roster potential. You will come to your senses over time. Maybe Price is not the guy but you need someone in net to win and the point is winning cups. When you are this close, you don't do nothing and run with goalies you don't have confidence in.

$4.3M for both your goalies on a cup contender? That's your plan year to year? Pretty sure you will be disappointed. What's your plan? To win a cup in 24/25? :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Souunds like what you wish was true. All advance stats say otherwise. Save% is a team stat and so is GAA.

It's a fact, not an opinion (See below). He was the Price of old as little as 12 months ago. Dec - Apr. The ability is there and the problem is confidence in the team in front of him clearly. 48 games down the stretch and several back to back games as well. He was better than Binnington and played on a less talented team.

LMlldi7.jpg

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Price does not have one of the worse contracts in the league. He is still considered one of the best and anybody who is impartial, will tell you he is struggling cause the Habs team D sucks this year! No goalie would have good stats with our team D this year.

Price is $1.5M overpaid. You change his teams and he plays on a top 10 team, the story changes overnight and you know it. You act like Price is like Alzner or Lucic. It's comical.

You're not looking beyond this season when analyzing the situation; that's a big problem. Obviously Price is still a good goalie, but it's pretty clear he's not the goalie he was a few years ago when he earned that 10M contract. It's not solely the MTL defense that's responsible for his regression; it's also father time. He's overpaid now and he's got SEVEN years left on his deal. It doesn't take a lot of critical thinking to see that's not a good situation going forward. Hence the reason pretty much all non-MTL fans in this thread want no part of Price even for free. There's nothing "impartial" about your view on this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad