Speculation: Price to Carolina ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Absolutely is. Why trade for a $10 mil goalie when Carolina already doesn't have the space, will have to lose a current roster player likely, and the odds are he will create another hole in the roster just to fit him in and prevent them from winning the cup especially if he stays inconsistent like he's been the last couple years?

100% relevant

How many goalies making more than that reached the SCF? How many times have the Blackhawks won after giving away to massive deals to their star players?

It's irrelevant.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm not sure many teams would even take him for free @ max retention...he's well below league average, 32...for 6+ seasons @ $5M+/yrs

Until he bounces back to average+ I don't think he'll have any non-negative value

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
How many goalies making more than that reached the SCF? How many times have the Blackhawks won after giving away to massive deals to their star players?

It's irrelevant.
Lol ok. You win nonsensical post of the day

Chicago won their last cup BEFORE toews and Kane's $10.5 mil cap hits kicked in

But you know... Facts

Reactions: poobags

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Lol ok. You win nonsensical post of the day

Chicago won their last cup BEFORE toews and Kane's $10.5 mil cap hits kicked in

But you know... Facts

So no one has won a cup with a player making more than $10M in the salary cap era?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not a single team is locking into Carey Price at $10.5M AAV for the next 7 years.

This idea that you can get premium assets for him — even with retention — is irrational blind faith.

It’s not happening.

OMG I forgot it was for 7 years

Yikes

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
So no one has won a cup with a player making more than $10M in the salary cap era?

Why do people keep using that 10M number as a benchmark like it's at all relevant even in the salary cap era? The salary cap has more than doubled since it was implemented. It's even went up 18% in the last 5 years alone. In a few years we're going to be talking about how no team has won the cup without 3+ 10M players on their roster lately. 10M players are not the death sentence they were in a 60M cap system.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Why do people keep using that 10M number as a benchmark like it's at all relevant even in the salary cap era? The salary cap has more than doubled since it was implemented. It's even went up 18% in the last 5 years alone. In a few years we're going to be talking about how no team has won the cup without 3+ 10M players on their roster lately. 10M players are not the death sentence they were in a 60M cap system.

Unless you're spending that money on over the hill goalies like Price :)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
thats not what I said or what I was getting at, i was merely pointing out having a very high priced goalie has never won a team the cup since the implementation of the salary cap

but to your most recent question, no. No team has yet to win a cup with someone making $10+ mil on the cap

The closest are OV and Malkin with $9.5 cap hits

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price with that contract has negative value. MTL needs to retain or stuck with a player in decline.

Price is like $1.5M overpaid. If the Habs retain $2.5M bringing his AAV down to $8M, you can throw your "negative value" out the window.

However, he has a NMC and we are not really shopping him. Only the fans acting like basement GM's are.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Do you think Price is somehow going to be better when 10m cap hits aren't that big a deal?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
its more about sinking significant amounts of your cap into the most fickle position (goalie) who are reliant on the players and system in front of them and usually that high priced of a goalie leads to holes and inefficiencies in your roster that other teams can better address with a cheaper goalie on the payroll

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Do you think Price is somehow going to be better when 10m cap hits aren't that big a deal?

No, my point was more on how people keep bringing up how nobody's won with 10M contracts on their roster. IMO it's irrelevant since the cap keeps going up. Regarding Price, obviously that contract is awful and nobody's going to take that on. It's bad now at the level he's playing at; it's likely going to be a lot worse in 3 years when regresses even more.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Price is like $1.5M overpaid. If the Habs retain $2.5M bringing his AAV down to $8M, you can throw your "negative value" out the window.

However, he has a NMC and we are not really shopping him. Only the fans acting like basement GM's are.
He's performing worse than league average by a fair margin, for the 2nd time in 3 years, and last year was merely average. Both Mrazek AND Reimer are out-performing him right now at $6.5M combined. He's MAYBE a $4M veteran goalie right now at best (unless/until he can prove he's still capable of league average+ goaltending)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I expect more of the same as Lundqvist but if Price plays on a contender, his stats will be much better and he gives a team an edge in net. Reasonable to expect up and down years with any player in their 30's.

Only fit I see today is the Avs. They have a complete roster, very few holes to fill, a deep prospect pool, and cap space. However, I can see them trying cheaper goalies in the short term first. Could work or they could be looking for a goalie for years to come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's performing worse than league average by a fair margin, for the 2nd time in 3 years, and last year was merely average. Both Mrazek AND Reimer are out-performing him right now at $6.5M combined. He's MAYBE a $4M veteran goalie right now at best

What team he plays on matters. Basically, because his stats are not as good as his career stats, this is your chance to acquire for cheap and the Habs retain. Think Weber when he was injured and Weber today ;)

You either want Price or not. But if you want him but for cheap return, forget about it. Habs not going to do a Roy round 2. If you don't want him, just say not interested. If you try to troll his value in the process, it will be defended.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Price is a below average goaltender with 7 years left on his contract. Price with 50% retention, at 5.75, is bad. Price at 8.5M is basically the Black Plague.
I have trouble supporting Price because his numbers and play are ass. Absolute ass.

I do know that if he is ever moved to a strong team, a contender, they will be getting a very good goalie. Price has been unfocused and pouty for the past couple years, he needs a change of scenery. That goalie is still there, the motivation and desire are not.

I think there would be GM's willing to take a risk on him, with a couple mill retained or in exchange for a bad contract. 50% retained is a moot point, it would never happen. Makes no sense.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
just for fun, even though we dont want Price

Canes get: Price at 60%, Suzuki and Montreal's 2nd round pick

Montreal gets: Reimer, Kuokkanen, Canes' 2nd round pick, and a signed picture of Aho (framing negotiable).

You want Price at $6.3M and for us to add Suzuki? What a steal that would be eh. Doesn't sound like fun to me ;)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Fact: No team in the cup era has ever won the Stanley Cup with a goalie making $6.1+ mil cap hit

This is an extremely stupid way of looking at things since the cap has more than doubled since the start of the cap era. Marc-Andre Fleury’s $5M salary in 2008-2009 took up 8.82% of the cap, which would be $7.18M in today’s NHL and he’s not the only Stanley Cup winning goaltender who took up a larger percentage of the cap than $6.1M is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad