Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Hagel can fit on almost every team without moving salary. JT Miller has a limited amount of suitors.

Hagel is also a nobody who is getting 17 minutes a night on a trash team.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but he is realistically a third line winger on a good team. The ask is quite ludicrous.

Comparable for the Canucks would be Nils Hoglander. No way Hoglander could get a 1st round pick and a top prospect.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He's quietly putting up a 50pt season, he's 23, he's signed for $1.5m for the next two seasons, and he's probably the Hawks best two-way forward.

He's absolutely not a household name, but the asking price does make sense.

Unsustainable shooting percentage right now. 19%. He probably plummets back to earth and shoots around 10-12%.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
If they meant B- prospect this would make sense.

not for Chicago it doesn’t; Hagel is on pace for a 20 - 25 goal, 40 - 50 point season. For the deal to make sense for the Hawks, one of he pieces; either the pick or prospect; needs to be as good. Very few B level prospects will end up being as good or productive as Hagel. On top of that he is signed for two more seasons at a very favourable $1.5m per year deal.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
You get get a first. You get a first. You get a first. Um, there's only "inset amount of 1st round picks left for 2022" from contenders. TRADE THEM ALL!

But why are the Hawks interested in trading a 23 year old anyway?

Why does have to be a 2022 first? I’m sure the Hawks would accept a 2023 first if the prospect included was good enough.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Comparing a good player on a steal of a contract for an overpaid below replacement level for comedic effect.

No, I wasn't comparing them, I thought the goal was to ask for far more than a player is worth. Since Dekeyser is much worse, I want even more.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
On a cup contender he’s a high energy 3rd liner that can score some dirty goals

I think that is his value for a contender. The 3rd line carries a lot of water especially playoff time when you need that depth scoring. As a Hawks fan I would hate to see him go but understand the value and biz of it. He doesn't take shifts off and is a competitor. As well as his cap hit and cost control being favorable. I think a first (it would be bottom third of 1st round most likely) or a top shelf prospect and a second seems more reasonable/realistic to me.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Unsustainable shooting percentage right now. 19%. He probably plummets back to earth and shoots around 10-12%.
Even if it does, that still would put him on pace for 15 goals. so 15 - 20 goals for $1.5 million for two years on a guy who is still pretty young and is gonna get better?

You're probably lucky if a late first rounder turns out as good as Hagel. In that territory, you just want a NHL level player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why did Buffalo just walk away from him after drafting him late, when he put up good numbers?

Two reasons - his last year they had his eligibility, he was viewed as being pretty inconsistent. And Jason Botterill is unable to recognize or appreciate anyone who has an ounce of sand in their game.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No, I wasn't comparing them, I thought the goal was to ask for far more than a player is worth. Since Dekeyser is much worse, I want even more.
The goals was to discuss Hagel and his value.

At no point was there a need or desire by anyone in the world to have Danny Dekeyser's name entered into the thread.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad