Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
you can tell how many people are clueless about hagel based on the responses, he's worth a first to a contender and its not a question...cost controlled for 2 more years at 1.5m and on pace for 25 goals and 50 points this year, he's a prime-saad type forward that can play anywhere in the lineup and will contribute in tight checking playoff games, both offensively and defensively, hes a very low risk move for a contender, not sure he's worth a 1st and a top prospect, probably not, but he's worth a very good prospect or a mid-late 1st+ based on toffoli deal

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If Chicago doesn't realize Hagel is merely the next shaw , it would be in Chicago best interest to trade this kid now and get much needed high draft picks and prospects.

Also on the GM search as a Chicago fan if rocky Wirtz according to media reports is highly considering bringing in the Female VP of the Raptors to be Chicago next GM who according to all media reports on her background has no experience whatsoever in hockey would be a complete disaster. That's like hiring a Carpenter to do brain surgery

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'd be ecstatic if Hagel turns out to be the next Shaw.
The Hawks need more players like that.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I don't blame Chicago for wanting to move him, but this is the type of deal that doesn't make much sense. Are any teams out there in the position to not only pay the perceived overpay price that Tampa Bay paid for Coleman back in the day, but to add significantly on top of it? Seems like an odd amount to me.

I agree that it seems odd. However he is young. Has a cheap contract and is versatile plus he is on pace for 50plus points.... if I'm chicago and in need of rebuilding the team and need young prospects and high draft picks I'd make this move. Kind of like chicago should have traded Gustafson when he was having a great season and instead kept him only to lose value when he didn't produce those sane numbers the following season....

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree that it seems odd. However he is young. Has a cheap contract and is versatile plus he is on pace for 50plus points.... if I'm chicago and in need of rebuilding the team and need young prospects and high draft picks I'd make this move. Kind of like chicago should have traded Gustafson when he was having a great season and instead kept him only to lose value when he didn't produce those sane numbers the following season....
I agree with everything you are saying. I guess it comes down to not understanding why Chicago would even be considering trading him if he is so good and at such good value. It doesn't make sense. Are they going to blow it up yet again? Usually you do that by trading off veterans, not productive, hard working young guys.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Seems like all the reason for teams to avoid him. Coleman was way more proven when he was traded.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I agree with everything you are saying. I guess it comes down to not understanding why Chicago would even be considering trading him if he is so good and at such good value. It doesn't make sense. Are they going to blow it up yet again? Usually you do that by trading off veterans, not productive, hard working young guys.

Imo I would say this. Hagel has no history to rely upon and is this just a one off year ? Even so at 23 years old and chicago desperately needing high picks and assets to rebuild which were looking at a 5 or 6 year process of awful hockey and building a plethora of young talent. That puts Hagel at 28 and if he doesn't repeat this same performance chicago looses out imo on any future potential

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Seems like all the reason for teams to avoid him. Coleman was way more proven when he was traded.

It's a gamble. I can't remember the kids name but he played for chicago and was traded to Montreal he became a solid and very productive center . It was the same time shaw was traded to Montreal.
It was chicago loss and Montreal gain.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

I think the idea is that we get a really good offer for him. We don’t necessarily want to trade him, but everyone on the team has a price. If someone meets his price, he’ll get traded. We’re likely a few seasons away from contention and a rebuild isn’t out of the question.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think he will get a 1st + a top prospect + another asset but I wilk say this.

The last time the Leafs took a player from the Hawks was David Kampf.

David Kampf assuming he stays healthy is going to smash his career high in goals and points.

Not only that but he is arguably the biggest reason the PK is top 5.

So if Dubas wants to pluck another player from Chicago I might be OK with overpaying for Hagel especially given that he has 2 years after this season and Mikyehev is probably walking

Reactions: Cowumbus

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Also remember, the Hawks don’t have to trade Hagel. He’s got two more years on a bargain contract and then is RFA.

Of course it’s gonna take an overpayment, they’re not giving away an asset like that.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
It's a gamble. I can't remember the kids name but he played for chicago and was traded to Montreal he became a solid and very productive center . It was the same time shaw was traded to Montreal.
It was chicago loss and Montreal gain.
True Chicago lost that one but it is nowhere near this situation, we were trying to win cup and made trade to gain depth in the playoffs. This (if happens) will be rebuilt move.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
True Chicago lost that one but it is nowhere near this situation, we were trying to win cup and made trade to gain depth in the playoffs. This (if happens) will be rebuilt move.

It seems odd to trade a 23 year old in a rebuild

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

That's incorrect chicago just won there 3rd cup and stans mismanagement of the cap and contracts foolishly and knowingly hurt chicago and the team only slipped further into bad hockey...

Seabrook , bickell amd toews and kane all were overpaid . Bickell especially wasn't worth 4 plus million and seabrook contract the structure and term was bad salary cap management, both should have been allowed to walk based on age or ability.

Toews and kane nobody is saying they didn't earn a reward it was just over the top and toews especially never lived up to his new contract lack of performance or out with some mysterious illness and neither imo right now are helping this team....

In the end stan was the demise of what could have been a great team beyond 2015. He hollowed out the team's youth and moved many young productive assets out because of ridiculous contracts....

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown

Coleman wasn’t really more proven, his production when traded by Jersey was very similar to Hagel however, he was 4-5 years older. This may give teams some belief that there is more growth available in Hagel’s game in comparison to Coleman.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
It seems odd to trade a 23 year old in a rebuild

Perhaps, but when you are looking at a rebuild and the cupboards are bare; you need to start stockpiling assets for that rebuild.

The Hawks have Reichel, Commesso and perhaps one or two young d-men not currently on the roster which may be a part of the long-term plan. On top of that no first round pick. If you can trade a young player like Hagel now for two or three potential pieces for the future, you have to consider it.

Having said that, the prospect acquired as part of a Hagel trade needs to be an A level prospect in addition to a 1st or it doesn’t make sense for the Hawks.

Reactions: Taylorst and Pertti

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Perhaps, but when you are looking at a rebuild and the cupboards are bare; you need to start stockpiling assets for that rebuild.

The Hawks have Reichel, Commesso and perhaps one or two young d-men not currently on the roster which may be a part of the long-term plan. On top of that no first round pick. If you can trade a young player like Hagel now for two or three potential pieces for the future, you have to consider it.

Having said that, the prospect acquired as part of a Hagel trade needs to be an A level prospect in addition to a 1st or it doesn’t make sense for the Hawks.
Can you give an example of what you believe an A prospect is ? Not being rude just curious.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Phillip Danault…
But he was a Blackhawks’ draft pick…

Reactions: Taylorst

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Can you give an example of what you believe an A prospect is ? Not being rude just curious.

I'm curious as well. An A level prospect to me is pretty much NHL ready and can put up solid numbers in his rookie season. I'm talking 30-40points in a bottom six role. In which case it makes no sense to trade since they are ELC cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad