Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'm curious as well. An A level prospect to me is pretty much NHL ready and can put up solid numbers in his rookie season. I'm talking 30-40points in a bottom six role. In which case it makes no sense to trade since they are ELC cheap.
Thats fair enough, thank you for your insight.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why even entertain trading him unless it's an overpayment?

He's only in his second season in the NHL and has been improving the entire time.
23 years old, scores, hits, high energy guy, kills penalties, signed for two additional seasons at $1.5M
A late 1st won't replace that.

Maybe maybe not but that doesn't make him worth a 1st + Holloway/Broberg/Bourgault + something else .

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
1st, top prospect and another asset for a 40 point winger?

LOL why would anyone do that? You can get a PPG player for that price

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffman955

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Can you give an example of what you believe an A prospect is ? Not being rude just curious.

Sure, so examples of prospects from different teams I would consider in the deal:

Leafs - Knies
Flames - Zary
Oilers - Holloway
Capitals - Lapierre
Knights - Brisson

To me the prospect is the key to the deal for the Hawks because a trade for Hagel would most likely be with a contender meaning any first round pick would be in the 25 - 32 area, which makes it less likely you are getting a top half of the roster player with that selection.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I'm curious as well. An A level prospect to me is pretty much NHL ready and can put up solid numbers in his rookie season. I'm talking 30-40points in a bottom six role. In which case it makes no sense to trade since they are ELC cheap.

i don’t necessarily disagree with you, but from the Hawks perspective why would I trade a young, productive, 200 foot winger on a great deal for the next two seasons for a hope and a prayer.

The Hawks need to add multiple, young assets, so unless someone is willing to overpay for Hagel, I would just keep him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
i don’t necessarily disagree with you, but from the Hawks perspective why would I trade a young, productive, 200 foot winger on a great deal for the next two seasons for a hope and a prayer.

The Hawks need to add multiple, young assets, so unless someone is willing to overpay for Hagel, I would just keep him.
That's probably how it happened. Hagel wasn't put up for sale. Other GMs started asking what it would take. Of course it wouldnt be the deadline rental price

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Lmao a third line plug is apparently worth the same as Jack Eichel. That would be an overpayment for Debrincat much less the very definition of a replacement level player :laugh:

Reactions: Duffman955

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Obviously the hope and prayer would have to have high enough ceiling to make it worth it. The Hawks would need to trade for a package with a higher ceiling, which they could get with a late first and a decent prospect. Both could turn into Hagel level players. One could bust or both could. One could be better than Hagel, one lesser.

But a grade A prospect has a high floor and high ceiling, which makes no sense for a team to trade away, nevermind add a pick on top of it.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Lmao a third line plug is apparently worth the same as Jack Eichel. That would be an overpayment for Debrincat much less the very definition of a replacement level player :laugh:
I wouldn’t say he’s replacement level.

A notch above replacement level? Mos def, but 63% OZS and only 14 goals isn’t worth a huge package no matter how good his contract is for the next couple of years.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I get Chicago has no reason to move him, but the asking price for Hagel is insane. He's not going to continue to shoot at 19%. There's potential and I think he'll be a good middle-6 forward going forward, but only a slightly smaller package than the one Eichel got for Hagel is way too much.

I severely doubt the Hawks move him anyway, so there's no point going crazy over it.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Perhaps, but when you are looking at a rebuild and the cupboards are bare; you need to start stockpiling assets for that rebuild.

The Hawks have Reichel, Commesso and perhaps one or two young d-men not currently on the roster which may be a part of the long-term plan. On top of that no first round pick. If you can trade a young player like Hagel now for two or three potential pieces for the future, you have to consider it.

Having said that, the prospect acquired as part of a Hagel trade needs to be an A level prospect in addition to a 1st or it doesn’t make sense for the Hawks.

Well said. Your absolutely correct. What many people either forget or don't understand anyone currently on the roster now won't even be around when chicago has managed to get to a point of contention.

Think back to the early 2000s when chicago was on a downward spiral and we didn't see any good hockey until the 08/09 season .

A full rebuild if it works takes years , and with chicago stuck with toews and kane for another year before they see any cap relief or even a spot in the lineup.....

Reactions: Sinbad

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I get Chicago has no reason to move him, but the asking price for Hagel is insane. He's not going to continue to shoot at 19%. There's potential and I think he'll be a good middle-6 forward going forward, but only a slightly smaller package than the one Eichel got for Hagel is way too much.

I severely doubt the Hawks move him anyway, so there's no point going crazy over it.

Honestly chicago would be stupid to hold onto him if they have 4 offers ... I think the problem is the Wirtz family not addressing this problem years ago the front office and now were stuck with a interim GM who appears qualified but waiting only 5 weeks away and very few interviews conducted . There seriously considering a guy from baseball or a woman from basketball, to come in with no hockey experience whatsoever to rebuild a team and organization ..

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think some people in this thread don't know who the guy is...he's basically the ideal third liner for any contender looking to fill out their forward group. He's built on last year well offensively. And he's just 23 and signed for 2.5 more years at 1.5 million, which, given the cap situation most contenders are in right now with the flat cap, is invaluable. And when it expires, he'll still be an RFA. So yeah, the ask is obviously a 1st+
a first plus... for a third liner... no thank you

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
a first plus... for a third liner... no thank you

Moat teams can barely put together 2 top lines any contender realizes you need 4 solid lines , plus at 23 and this being his first full season he has improved alot so yeah a 3rd liner who gives you 50 plus points and can only improve as well as being young and signed is worth the price.....

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Brandon Hagel Career Stats

SeasonTeamGPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%FO%
2019-2020CHI100000000000400
2020-2021CHI5291524-711030122919.939.13
2021-2022CHI45141327-10172400307418.941.38
Career-98232851-172827015216913.640.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Season
2019-2020
2020-2021
2021-2022
Career
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
When you over ask on price you invite hagglers, and no one wants to haggle for Hagel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Moat teams can barely put together 2 top lines any contender realizes you need 4 solid lines , plus at 23 and this being his first full season he has improved alot so yeah a 3rd liner who gives you 50 plus points and can only improve as well as being young and signed is worth the price.....
you're basically talking about a young Tyler Bozak... would you have given a 1st+A prospect+ for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad