Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton 1st + UFA cap dump/Turris + Benson type of prospect . I rather use the 1st for D and/or a goalie but Holland don't seem to value goalies much and the Oilers will keep trying to build another 80s team that won't work in this era .

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Edmonton 1st + UFA cap dump/Turris + Benson type of prospect . I rather use the 1st for D and/or a goalie but Holland don't seem to value goalies much and the Oilers will keep trying to build another 80s team that won't work in this era .
No thank you

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I don't understand why the Hawks would trade him? He's legit the only forward they have signed after next season, he's good, he's young, and he's cheap? Why would they even consider trading him?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't understand why the Hawks would trade him? He's legit the only forward they have signed after next season, he's good, he's young, and he's cheap? Why would they even consider trading him?

To try and bend over some team like the proposal in the OP suggests I’m guessing.

Reactions: burstnbloom

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I think some people in this thread don't know who the guy is...he's basically the ideal third liner for any contender looking to fill out their forward group. He's built on last year well offensively. And he's just 23 and signed for 2.5 more years at 1.5 million, which, given the cap situation most contenders are in right now with the flat cap, is invaluable. And when it expires, he'll still be an RFA. So yeah, the ask is obviously a 1st+
Who’s giving up a 1st and top prospect for a third liner???

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
As one NHL scout put it, he’s a really average player as soon as he stops moving his feet. He’s really not a long term top-6 solution and we won’t be good enough during his current deal to move him to the third line.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
1st round picks get overvalued sometimes.

Hagel is the kind of player you’d like to get with a 1st round pick from 20-32. In acquiring Hagel you eliminate the risk of drafting a bust. It probably depends how good of a prospect teams have to give up. I’m sure the additional piece isn’t that significant.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been torn on Hagel for a long time - I don't know if he is the player he is today without the kick in the pants he got by Botterill not tendering him on one hand. And on the other, he's another Botterill f***up in a list of f***ups as long as my arm.

Glad he's doing well in Chicago though, would be interested to see how it works out for him if they do trade him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
tbh this thread has kind of sold me on him. Dubas has talked a lot about acquiring people with term, the only way that makes sense is if the AAV is really low and well this definitely fits the bill.
Hagel's contract also ends in 2024 which could effectively be the end of TML's contending window as Matthews, Nylander, Muzzin, and Brodie all hit UFA that year.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Who’s giving up a 1st and top prospect for a third liner???
It entirely depends how you define "top" prospect. Coleman was traded for Tampa's 1st and a late former first round pick in Nolan Foote. I think Hagel could fetch something similar.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Depending on the prospects, that might be a smart add for a contender. Guy seems to be finding an offensive groove and is cheap for his production. Add to it there is team control at the end of the current contract and it’s an overpay, but no more so than the Coleman deal

Ledge And Dairy

I don't think a lot of people here really know much about Hagel. As a Flames fan I've watched Andrew Mangiapane come into fruition over the last few years, and with my father being a life-long Hawks fan I've also gotten my fair share of seeing Hagel play too.

Hagel is so incredibly similar to Mangiapane from a couple years ago that you could almost call him a little brother. This guy has a fantastic drive to his game and is still just figuring out all the pieces.

The asking price here may seem steep now but this really could turn out to be quite the steal if he pans out the way he is going.

Reactions: d rake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad