Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 5: vs. Blackhawks

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'd advocate these lines when everyone's healthy, but people would freak out over the size thing:

Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Miller-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Zuccarello
Fast-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
If Malone is on this roster over Fast, it would be completely disingenuous to every other player in training camp. Malone was brutal shift-to-shift. The fleeting moments of lay-up tap-in goals off the hard work from his teammates (Miller), are not enough to warrant a spot over a player like Fast, or Stempniak, who played their ***** off every shift and have been effective.

Malone looked fine. He brings a physical and big presence that is lacking on this team. Not that it is necessary; but it would be nice to have in more than just Glass.

And you can hate him all you want, but he has scored two big goals, plus gotten the shootout winner. I know Fast has also done well, but I disagree with the party line that the guy has been amazing defensively and deserves a spot because of his 2-way play + deceptive offense. Not seeing him being a stellar defensive presence; he's missed a good amount of assignments and certainly looked like he was running around with his head cut off a few times. Fast has been fine, but he hasn't blown me away. I think he'll be a decent tweener eventually, but I don't know that he beats out Malone this season, and that is fine.

And none of that is to excuse Malone's boneheaded penalty / lack of clear. But the guy has done enough to make it reasonable for him to make the team if the coaching staff believes he should, and that wouldn't be mind-blowing.

Staal and Boyle do not look good together, again. They were bad before their last game, had a decent game, and were back to being bad together again. They should be split up. Staal should be with Klein, Moore and Boyle should be together.

Those would be terrible pairings. Seriously? You think Boyle's defensive game is bad, so you pair him with Moore? And then you pair two defensive d-men together in Staal and Klein? Wow. Talk about unbalanced and uncomplimentary pairings.

At best, what you do is swap Boyle and Girardi; but I don't even like that, because it creates the same problem on the 2nd pairing (2 defensive d-men). Staal and Boyle just need time to get used to each other, and Boyle needs to adapt to the new system. They should be fine. I actually thought that pairing looked ok tonight - not great, but ok. And if anyone on that pairing was struggling, it was Staal, not Boyle (not arguing we shouldn't re-sign Staal, btw -- I want him re-signed).

Honestly, I thought Miller was pretty invisible until the nice pass to tie the game. Hayes had the one bad turnover and could use seasoning in Hartford, but I see more of a complete game from him. He should stay at the center position. It'd be a waste to move him to the wing.

Agree with all of this. Miller deserves to get a look on the big club, but man he has been disappointing in a couple of these preseason games. He plays like a wrecking ball, which is great; but his hands need to catch up with the rest of his body. Time and again I see him beating people to the puck and then blindly throwing area passes to no one or whipping the puck at the net without any thought going into the shot. Not gonna cut it in the NHL if he can't figure it out. There is a reason, when he has been called up, that he hasn't put up the points. Hoping things start to click for him a bit better.

Hayes needs a bit of time in Hartford. See the potential, but not ready yet. But yea - I like him at C.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Fantastic job by NHL.com with this headline pic. :laugh:
It looks much worse in normal size.

jaj7d3.jpg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Malone is making this team. He's lost a step (or four) over the years, but that dude knows exactly where to be in the offensive zone at all times, and he can still get there.

I'm excited to see him on the PP in the regular season.

5 more days :D

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Of Sathers offseason signings so far

D Moore - looks really good. A steal at this price
Malone - looks like he can contribute in a lesser ES role and oN the PP. Signed for cheap.
Stempniak - looks like a good 3rd liner. Signed very cheap for what he provides
Lombardi - has been injured as was to be feared. Will nonetheless likely provide good depth in Hartford if he clears waivers...
Meuller - looks better than anyone thought. Good callup option and vet prescience in the AHL if he clears (likely)
C Bourque - did not see much. Likely a useful piece in the AHL.
Glass - looks better than The Doom Squad has been frivolting. Kicked Carbombs butt. A bit too much money and years on contract though
D Boyle - looks alright but is there gas in the tank? Will be interesting to see him on the PP come RS
Kostka/Kampfer/Hunwick - a bit meh but one will be in the pressbox, 2 of them will be in Hartford and there providing vet leadership in the AHL that we really lacked badly last season
Hayes - a bit puppyish and needs to work on the explosiveness of the first stride, but I see Huge potential. Could be a real Steal nullifying multiple losses of recent firstrounders
Haggerty - also a very good college FA signing. Late 1st/2nd round potential IMO

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Besides that one brutal, BRUTAL turnover, he was pretty solid I thought, but I had the advantage of watching on TV which sometimes paints a different picture.

Still cant get over his patience with the puck, Ive never seen any player as a rookie be so calm with the puck, his board play if phenomenal as well i think.

Is he NHL ready, eh, probably not, but I dont think either way (AHL or NHL) is going to hurt him much, hes kind of on that fence.

I really like a lot of what Hayes brings but tonight was kind of the first time I thought his patience was too much...needed to be a little more decisive a few times. I don't think he'll make it but I think he looks like he can be a good player for the Rangers in the future.

Thought Fast was better than Duclair last night but not that Duclair was bad. Duclair's line just seemed to have some trouble getting going. Still like Miller. He's fast and hits and does make things happen

Hunwick is better than Kostka IMO. McDonagh might need to settle down the aggressiveness a bit. I didn't think Boyle and Staal were as bad as people thought they were, it was more an issue of not knowing where to move the puck to in the defensive zone at times I think. Also, Staal should be letting BOyle make the outlet passes if possible

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'd advocate these lines when everyone's healthy, but people would freak out over the size thing:

Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Miller-Nash
Fast-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

That's exactly what I'm leaning towards too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

I think Duclair-MSL-Nash did a lot of good things on the ice, but MSL is no center and you could tell as the game went on. I don't think this experiment will last.

Duclair played well again, didn't get the chances he has before but he played well.

I think Kevin Hayes has had the most underrated showing so far in camp. This is a 6'5 rookie playing center in the NHL, a position he hasn't even played that much the last 12 months. I am just blown away by him. Not because his overall game or the flashy plays he have made, but because the type of player he has shown that he can become. He is showing that he can make plays with the puck at this level; he is showing that he can make high caliber passes at this level; he is showing that he can fire the puck at this level; he is showing that he can protect the puck against a Brent Seabrook or anyone else at this level; he is showing a easy going attitude with some snarl to it. I just love the kid. He might not become a Keith Primaue II, but he won't fall short by much. I loved that we got him, but I did think he would be more of a project than this. How many 6'5 or taller centers play in this league? Yes, 6. SIX. Boyle, Hayes, Bjugstad, Steckel, Handzus and Thornton. Kevin Hayes can definitely become the 7th, and that is amazing and will be a great asset for us down the line. He might not be ready right out of Camp, but I would consider it for sure.

I thought JT Miller had a pertty quite game, but Chicago is a tough opponent. I think he will do better against the Eastern teams.

Fast played better, he will get consideration but could fall short.

Kostka's hair looked great. It was really flying out there. Looks to be longer than the 10 inches its listed. He has really not cut down on conditioner this summer.

I think Malone did nothing besides his goals, but thats still something. He can score at this level. But I think he needs to be better overall.

I thought McD and Boyle was awsome on D, we need those offensive plays. You can tell that Boyle is a bit old...

Staal is so good in 1 on 1 situations, but hopefully he can show a bit more offensively.

Kreider has been a bit up and down so far. Early on, I had high hopes that he would really take another big step this season. Now he seem to be a little less involved for a while.

I would probably go with:

Kreider-Brass-Zucc//A proven line that will perform. I am not sure if Kreider will come to his right on this line, but they played real well last season.
Duclair-Miller-Nash//A little much inexperience and lack of defense on a line, but it would have to do. Nash has to take more responsibility on defense. I don't think AV wants to break up Nash and MSL. But I want Hayes with two really responsible players with Hags and MSL.
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL//Hayes gets to play with two really responsible players. He brings some size to this line. And so forth.
Glass-Moore-Stemp
Malone

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kreider has been a bit up and down so far. Early on, I had high hopes that he would really take another big step this season. Now he seem to be a little less involved for a while.
[/B]

Eh, it's preseason, he's probably not going all out yet, and he's getting used to some new linemates. I think he's looked good in spurts and am generally not worried

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Eh, it's preseason, he's probably not going all out yet, and he's getting used to some new linemates. I think he's looked good in spurts and am generally not worried

Yeah, but to score around or a little more than 60 pts he needs to be more involved on a regular basis than he has before. That is a big step he needs to take. Early in camp he showed a tendency to move in that direction. Lately he has moved back towards being a bit more dependent on things coming to him than him making his own way...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think Kevin Hayes has had the most underrated showing so far in camp. This is a 6'5 rookie playing center in the NHL, a position he hasn't even played that much the last 12 months. I am just blown away by him. Not because his overall game or the flashy plays he have made, but because the type of player he has shown that he can become. He is showing that he can make plays with the puck at this level; he is showing that he can make high caliber passes at this level; he is showing that he can fire the puck at this level; he is showing that he can protect the puck against a Brent Seabrook or anyone else at this level; he is showing a easy going attitude with some snarl to it. I just love the kid. He might not become a Keith Primaue II, but he won't fall short by much. I loved that we got him, but I did think he would be more of a project than this. How many 6'5 or taller centers play in this league? Yes, 6. SIX. Boyle, Hayes, Bjugstad, Steckel, Handzus and Thornton. Kevin Hayes can definitely become the 7th, and that is amazing and will be a great asset for us down the line. He might not be ready right out of Camp, but I would consider it for sure.

Agree! Agree! Agree! Hayes has been the most unheralded rookie here on HFNYR. I think the coaches see what they have in him, and they love it. This being exampled by the frequent use of Hayes on the PK. He's been defensively responsible, Joe continues to get googly eyed at his patience and poise with the puck in the offensive zone. This kid looks like he can really be a player in this league :nod:

BarbaraAlphanse

Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Miller-Nash
Fast-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

:amazed:

Zil we had near identical matches for line combinations (my only difference was pencilling in Glass and having Stempniak and Fast battle it out).

First time our thought process has been congruent.

No wonder it's raining outside.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Duclair-Miller-Nash
Fast-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

I don't like Hags with Brass and Zucc and I feel like Malone will make it over Fast.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
MSL can't play center. If you're on the small size you at least need to be strong enough to tie guys up in the slot and take beatings behind the net working the puck.

Playing wing is different. Much different.

The Rangers lack of size up the middle wasn't really challenged last year outside of the SCF, where they were manhandled by the size and worn down late in games.

One good thing out of all these prospects having good camps is that it can increase their trade value and be used to acquire proven assets.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What a game.. The Rangers are so good against the Hawks. They beat them both times in the regular season and preseason. I know the playoffs are totally different but man do I wish the Hawks made it to the Final instead of the Kings.

I don't think I ever rooted so hard for a team that wasn't the Rangers. That nyr/chi. Finals, would have been the best series in years.......and yeah, I think we would've won, but it's all in the rear view now.

There's a decent chance that it WILL come to pass this year. I LOVE playing Chicago, big city vs big city.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Malone, before the goals, was brutal. Stupid offensive zone penalty. Awful turnover at the Rangers blue line. He looked lost and slow. Miller's and Fast's efforts set up Malone's tap in goal. Good job in the shootout. Otherwise, Malone was brutal shift-to-shift. Are these votes just for the tap in goal and shootout? What about the rest of the 65 minute game?

If Malone is on this roster over Fast, it would be completely disingenuous to every other player in training camp. Malone was brutal shift-to-shift. The fleeting moments of lay-up tap-in goals off the hard work from his teammates (Miller), are not enough to warrant a spot over a player like Fast, or Stempniak, who played their ***** off every shift and have been effective.

But..but..Lombardi is going to beat out Malone. He's going to come back from injury sooner and have a better chance to win the job.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, but to score around or a little more than 60 pts he needs to be more involved on a regular basis than he has before. That is a big step he needs to take. Early in camp he showed a tendency to move in that direction. Lately he has moved back towards being a bit more dependent on things coming to him than him making his own way...

But still...preseason

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
MSL can't play center. If you're on the small size you at least need to be strong enough to tie guys up in the slot and take beatings behind the net working the puck.

Playing wing is different. Much different.

The Rangers lack of size up the middle wasn't really challenged last year outside of the SCF, where they were manhandled by the size and worn down late in games.

One good thing out of all these prospects having good camps is that it can increase their trade value and be used to acquire proven assets.

Given time, Miller and Hayes may solve the size down the middle problem without any trades being necessary.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Kreider-Brass-Zucc//A proven line that will perform. I am not sure if Kreider will come to his right on this line, but they played real well last season.
Duclair-Miller-Nash//A little much inexperience and lack of defense on a line, but it would have to do. Nash has to take more responsibility on defense. I don't think AV wants to break up Nash and MSL. But I want Hayes with two really responsible players with Hags and MSL.
Hagelin-Hayes-MSL//Hayes gets to play with two really responsible players. He brings some size to this line. And so forth.
Glass-Moore-Stemp
Malone

this is what i am going with for sure! or switch Duke with Kreider - either way it looks good!

Duc and Hayes get their feet wet before decisions are made about Step's return.

I liked how you broke down each players, i think Hayes has definitely had an under the radar pre-season as well. Dude has said hes not a center, and what do we always talk about on here the center position and how hard it is to play.. dude has played pretty damn good for his first pro stint.

Fast likely first call up - i think vets are a better options because remember its not about the best players but more players playing in specific roles.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I really liked Hayes' ability to hold on to the puck, but it does seem like he needs a bit more polish so I wouldn't be shocked if he started the year in Hartford.

The best thing about Fast so far when compared to last year is that he is getting more involved offensively. There's a noticeable improvement in his game, he's making decent passes and trying to get the puck to to the net whereas last season he focused on making the safe play.

Kostka played better in this game than the previous ones, but I give Hunwick the edge as he seems a little more poised with the puck.

Malone may be slow and he sure isn't flashy, but he does one thing that this team sorely lacks - he can finish. This team had an awful shooting percentage last season and Malone can help in that area. With Nash, Zucc, and others still looking snakebit and having issues converting in the preseason, it doesn't hurt to have a player with soft hands around the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad