Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 5: vs. Blackhawks

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Given time, Miller and Hayes may solve the size down the middle problem without any trades being necessary.

i completely agree give these guys time here!! To me miller never has been comfortable here, was always looking over his shoulder because being sent down..

Miller Hayes are both Raw but have so much talent - remember they are only 22 and have shown a lot already - playing the games hardest position.

BarbaraAlphanse

Can someone explain to me what the point of keeping McIlrath around was if he isn't going to play tonight...

Still struggling to see any rationale behind this.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, but to score around or a little more than 60 pts he needs to be more involved on a regular basis than he has before. That is a big step he needs to take. Early in camp he showed a tendency to move in that direction. Lately he has moved back towards being a bit more dependent on things coming to him than him making his own way...
i disagree. Kreider has been good. Kreider isnt going all out in preseason and he still has been impressive. Even though he didnt score last night he was a beast in the offensive zone pretty much every shift. I know duclair is the shiny new toy but most of our veterans look good

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Where are you seeing tonight's lineup?

Gross:

Here’s the lineup for that game:

Goalies: Cam Talbot, Henrik Lundqvist

Defensemen: Michael Kostka, Dan Girardi, Kevin Klein, John Malone, Matt Hunwick, Steven Kampfer

Forwards: J.T. Miller, Ryan Malone, Dominic Moore, Ryan Haggerty, Matthew Lombardi, Marek Hrivik, Oscar Lindberg, Kevin Hayes, Carl Hagelin, Anthony Duclair, Chris Mueller, Jesper Fast

Kostka, Girardi, Hunwick, Miller, Malone, Hayes, Duclair and Fast are the players dressing for the back-to-back games.

Lundqvist, who made 19 saves against the Blackhawks and stopped eight of nine shootout attempts (while apparently playing while under the weather) is scheduled to back up Cam Talbot against the Devils.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/rangers_3_blackawks_2_so_post-game_analysis/

BarbaraAlphanse

So that he gets practice time with the pro team

I don't think that makes much sense, even still. You have him to gain experience. He's not going to play but the sole reason he is there is to learn how to be a pro and part of that is getting experience playing on that level.

Makes no sense, IMO. Play him tonight. Rest Girardi.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
some thoughts on last nights game...

maybe I am in the minority, but I did not like the Kreider-Brass-Zucc line. They looked nice with the puck, and were able to move and keep it in the O-zone... on paper, it sounds like it should work, but Kreider lacks that little tiny offensive instincts that Malone has... O-zone positioning... I think Kreider could grow into that line, and learn where Zucc and Brass like to function and work on finishing plays... so in that sense, the line could be a success, but as of right now I don't see it as a line that sticks after Stepan comes back...

Hunwick is DEFINITELY the 7th Dman... poised with the puck, quick on his skates, recovers well, lefty shot (which is good considering lack of depth in the LD position).

Hayes looks great, IMO... other than that nasty turnover in the slot, he was VERY patient with the puck and very smooth on his skates in the offensive and Defensive zone

Kostka is ****ing awful... luckily he'll be stuffed in Hartford.

I'm not a fan of Malone's overall game, but whether anyone likes it or not he IS an asset to this team this year.

I'm impressed by Glass... He's exactly like Dorsett except bigger, so his hits actually crush the opposition. Reminds me of Kreider when he checks players.

Staal looks fine in the defensive zone. Still a bit meh in the offensive zone, but I think that is due more to him being not yet comfortable with Boyle.

Speaking of which, Boyle is awesome on the PP... but he should never be on the PK.. too slow and ran out of gas 1 minute into a LONG PP... not that the PP should have been that long, but you could tell Boyle became a statue towards the half way mark.

SupersonicMonkey*

Malone looked fine. He brings a physical and big presence that is lacking on this team. Not that it is necessary; but it would be nice to have in more than just Glass.

And you can hate him all you want, but he has scored two big goals, plus gotten the shootout winner. I know Fast has also done well, but I disagree with the party line that the guy has been amazing defensively and deserves a spot because of his 2-way play + deceptive offense. Not seeing him being a stellar defensive presence; he's missed a good amount of assignments and certainly looked like he was running around with his head cut off a few times. Fast has been fine, but he hasn't blown me away. I think he'll be a decent tweener eventually, but I don't know that he beats out Malone this season, and that is fine.

And none of that is to excuse Malone's boneheaded penalty / lack of clear. But the guy has done enough to make it reasonable for him to make the team if the coaching staff believes he should, and that wouldn't be mind-blowing.

Those would be terrible pairings. Seriously? You think Boyle's defensive game is bad, so you pair him with Moore? And then you pair two defensive d-men together in Staal and Klein? Wow. Talk about unbalanced and uncomplimentary pairings.

At best, what you do is swap Boyle and Girardi; but I don't even like that, because it creates the same problem on the 2nd pairing (2 defensive d-men). Staal and Boyle just need time to get used to each other, and Boyle needs to adapt to the new system. They should be fine. I actually thought that pairing looked ok tonight - not great, but ok. And if anyone on that pairing was struggling, it was Staal, not Boyle (not arguing we shouldn't re-sign Staal, btw -- I want him re-signed).

Agree with all of this. Miller deserves to get a look on the big club, but man he has been disappointing in a couple of these preseason games. He plays like a wrecking ball, which is great; but his hands need to catch up with the rest of his body. Time and again I see him beating people to the puck and then blindly throwing area passes to no one or whipping the puck at the net without any thought going into the shot. Not gonna cut it in the NHL if he can't figure it out. There is a reason, when he has been called up, that he hasn't put up the points. Hoping things start to click for him a bit better.

Hayes needs a bit of time in Hartford. See the potential, but not ready yet. But yea - I like him at C.

The fact you don't see or understand how good Fast is defensively really tells me all i need to know, and i shouldn't waste my time responding, however...

I don't "hate" Malone. I can see he is useless on a shift-to-shift basis. But, considering you don't see Fast's defensive contributions, leads me to believe you fail to see the things that happen in a game between the goals.

The bad reading comprehension forcing people to repeat themselves gets tedious...Yea, Staal-Boyle looks great on paper and in theory. I noted that. In reality, it has been terrible thus far. They spend far too much time in their own end for Boyle's skill set to be at all effective. The reason is because Staal is too slow to pucks, its the same reason why Stralman carried Staal the last two seasons, when Staal played. Boyle isn't "bad defensively". But he isn't able to carry a pair at this point in his career the way Stralman did. Staal needs a guy who is better defensively than Boyle. Yes. Plain and simple. He can not anker a pairing anymore. He hasn't had to since 2011. He is a complementary player. And so is Boyle. It is not a good match. Unless, you enjoy watching the Rangers play extended shifts in their own end.

Johm Moore is more mobile than Staal. He is able to cover more ground and close gaps quicker than Staal can.He is able to win races to pucks quicker than Staal can. And he is growing as a player, he is becoming better as time goes on. He isn't bad defensively at all. He is young and is prone to mistakes that young defensmen make.

My suggestion isn't more horrible than what is actually happening on the ice. That Staal-Boyle pair has been thus far, and there is a strong liklihood that it will continue to be an issue at even strength.

Miller is 21, playing the hardest forward position to learn. His hands need to catch up? Again, another erroneous proclamation. His hands are one of his defining attributes. And if Malone has been "fine" then Miller has been outstanding by compariaon. Miller has been effective regardless of him reaching the score sheet or not. He and Fast carried their line last night with their effort.

"There is a reason he hasn't 'put up points'". Sheer ignorance.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
some thoughts on last nights game...

maybe I am in the minority, but I did not like the Kreider-Brass-Zucc line. They looked nice with the puck, and were able to move and keep it in the O-zone... on paper, it sounds like it should work, but Kreider lacks that little tiny offensive instincts that Malone has... O-zone positioning... I think Kreider could grow into that line, and learn where Zucc and Brass like to function and work on finishing plays... so in that sense, the line could be a success, but as of right now I don't see it as a line that sticks after Stepan comes back...

Hunwick is DEFINITELY the 7th Dman... poised with the puck, quick on his skates, recovers well, lefty shot (which is good considering lack of depth in the LD position).

Hayes looks great, IMO... other than that nasty turnover in the slot, he was VERY patient with the puck and very smooth on his skates in the offensive and Defensive zone

Kostka is ****ing awful... luckily he'll be stuffed in Hartford.

I'm not a fan of Malone's overall game, but whether anyone likes it or not he IS an asset to this team this year.

I'm impressed by Glass... He's exactly like Dorsett except bigger, so his hits actually crush the opposition. Reminds me of Kreider when he checks players.

Staal looks fine in the defensive zone. Still a bit meh in the offensive zone, but I think that is due more to him being not yet comfortable with Boyle.

Speaking of which, Boyle is awesome on the PP... but he should never be on the PK.. too slow and ran out of gas 1 minute into a LONG PP... not that the PP should have been that long, but you could tell Boyle became a statue towards the half way mark.
the zucc line was our best line. Brassard is still rusty but once he gets in the flow that line will be better than last year

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
John Malone? :sarcasm: Sounds like a horrible name for an action superstar. Maybe I'm thinking John McClain :laugh:

Lombardi? Didn't he not even make it through practice the other day?

So John moore was traded for John Malone ?

Nice.

This organization lacks patience big time.

I'm sure if he were Dylan Moore...... he's still here.

Whatever. I'm so done with this team.

BarbaraAlphanse

Was randomly thinking about the potential fights we might have to deal with today. That thought transitioned to who might be our most intense rival this year, in terms of playing and physicality and pure hatred.

I think we're all thrown for a loop this year - Flyers seem to be become irrelevant, Devils aren't what they used to be, Islanders aren't close yet, Pens don't promise to be as good as in the past...

But the Blue Jackets? I think they're going to be our most hated team this year... and perhaps for years to come.

They got better and tougher and a couple of our key players play extra hard and physical when we play them.

I have a feeling it'll be the start of a new and intense rivalry... and that'll show come next Saturday.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
tough break

well, that's you. Most people who have watched the preseason would say Duke has been the better of the two. Easily. Not to say that Hayes hasn't been impressive, because he has been.

I saw your post before you changed it to this, so don't play it off

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
well, that's you. Most people who have watched the preseason would say Duke has been the better of the two. Easily. Not to say that Hayes hasn't been impressive, because he has been.

I saw your post before you changed it to this, so don't play it off
i meant last night no need to get upset. Im a duclair fan but the hype is getting silly

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
@PLeonardNYDN:

Tanner glass and Ryan Malone were givens

This kid needs some time in the ahl. and that's not a negative at all.

He's been pretty good really. Looks like a solid power forward prospect on a team that really needs that kinda player.

Reminds me of John laclair.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not worried about Hayes not making it off the bat. I'm confident that he'll be up and be an important cog come playoff time. He's very close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad