GDT: Preseason Game 03 - Edmonton Oilers @ Winnipeg Jets - Wednesday, September 25th, 2024 - 7:00pm CDT - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I only watched the first 2 periods but getting outshot 2-1 in the 3rd against down horrendous AHL Oilers lineup seems less than ideal (regardless of score effects).
rofl. such an embarrassing post

also shots were 14-10 edm... so not only embarrassing, it's embarrassing and wrong

they also had 6 mins of power play time while we had 14 seconds...

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I thought Lambert was ok last night, ok might not be good enough this year. Do the Jets keep him with the big club and let him learn on the fly this year ?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought Lambert was ok last night, ok might not be good enough this year. Do the Jets keep him with the big club and let him learn on the fly this year ?

Thats going to be the interesting question. I feel he's putting too much pressure on himself and he's thinking too much out there. What's that term paralysis by analysis, I think that describes his play pretty well.

He might relax more if he makes the team and settle in.

I'm very curious as what the plan will be for him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Realistically there may not be enough roster spots to keep him, unless someone fakes an injury or sustains an injury. If the Jets want to keep a guy like JAD in the pressbox instead, or keep 8 d-men, and start a more veteran lineup, nothing wrong with having Lambert play huge minutes on the Moose, and be ready when the bell tolls. 3 games left, he still has time to improve though. And make that decision even more difficult.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Thats going to be the interesting question. I feel he's putting too much pressure on himself and he's thinking too much out there. What's that term paralysis by analysis, I think that describes his play pretty well.

He might relax more if he makes the team and settle in.

I'm very curious as what the plan will be for him.
I think he will learn more with the big club then back with the Moose, it's really small things that he needs to improve on but you can see the talent is there but the Jets may feel that for this year he can't break into the top six and getting big minutes with the Moose is best for his continuing development.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he will learn more with the big club then back with the Moose, it's really small things that he needs to improve on but you can see the talent is there but the Jets may feel that for this year he can't break into the top six and getting big minutes with the Moose is best for continuing development.

Yeah, I could see them starting him on line 4 to get his feet wet with pp time.

I'd just be a bit concerned with this orgs penchant for wanting a grinding fourth line. We really haven't seen any skilled players do well in that spot going all the way back to Ehlers.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think he will learn more with the big club then back with the Moose, it's really small things that he needs to improve on but you can see the talent is there but the Jets may feel that for this year he can't break into the top six and getting big minutes with the Moose is best for his continuing development.
It's a difficult measuring stick. First game is on the road, and he'd be playing against either Draisaitl, Nuge, or Henrique,maybe even Mc Jesus, the kind of players that you haven't seen yet. Even going to the Moose, I think his preseason has put him ahead of Iafallo as a top 6 replacement, so that's something the Jets didn't have last year.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

I'd just be a bit concerned with this orgs penchant for wanting a grinding fourth line. We really haven't seen any skilled players do well in that spot going all the way back to Ehlers.
I have in the past said it's top six or back to the Moose for Lambert, I'm sure he doesn't care and wants to play with the big club but I agree the 4th line is not ideal for him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have in the past said it's top six or back to the Moose for Lambert, I'm sure he doesn't care and what's to play with the big club but I agree the 4th line is not ideal for him.

Unless Arniel actually plans to do something very different with it in terms if minutes and style of play I agree.

Reactions: bustamente

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think there's a shot.

He'd have to start in the top 6 and unless he dazzles in his last chances in exy that's not happening.

The problem is, the Jets need a center in the top 6. If they were looking for a winger, I'm thinking he'd have a much better shot.

They won't start him in the bottom 6 as I think we are loaded there and would likely end up losing someone if we gave him that spot.

I see him being the first option on the farm if anyone in our top 6 goes down, which I actually prefer.

If one of the young guys was going to be an extra I'd prefer it to be Chibrikov as I think he's got a more pro ready game and could probably adapt to playing bottom 6 .

I do think Gus and Kupari will be given every chance to succeed this year, then you add Anderson Dolan and I just don't see how the kids get a spot.

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
If the organization wants to generate some excitement again and sell more tickets, they need to start playing some of the kids. The model of playing two scoring lines and two grinding lines hasn't worked.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If the organization wants to generate some excitement again and sell more tickets, they need to start playing some of the kids. The model of playing two scoring lines and two grinding lines hasn't worked.
I think the team is trying to win a cup, which will do the above.

I'm not saying I'm against a soft matchup scoring fourth line, but I don't know that that's a smart idea come playoff time.

You need more than one line that can prevent in the playoffs and we all know our first line is pretty god awful at suppression

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think the team is trying to win a cup, which will do the above.

I'm not saying I'm against a soft matchup scoring fourth line, but I don't know that that's a smart idea come playoff time.

You need more than one line that can prevent in the playoffs and we all know our first line is pretty god awful at suppression
It comes down to the makeup of the team. If the 3rd and 4th lines are net positive, in defensive roles, it makes it easier to play your top 6 in offensive roles. If the team consistently generates offense, you can add one of those bottom 6 lines into the mix, in a semi offensive role, like 2018/2019.

I think most fans don't want to see Scheifele, Namestnikov or Lambert taking d-zone draws. That's a role carved out for Lowry, Kupari, Gus. Barron probably plays more wing this year, and Gus is giving him a good battle there, by being strong on the boards, and a good secondary centre. Appleton and Iafallo are generally good neutral/d-zone players, block shots, get in lanes, back check, all those little details that go into playing on a team. Now if Scheifele suddenly emerges as a complete 2 way player that could change the dynamic a little, where you can put more talent on your 4th line, in a winger position, at least.

Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Petan/Perreault-Roslovic-Appleton. Is a line that comes to mind. Didn't last, but Roslovic was generally seen as a future top 6 player, many wanted him to play ahead of Little in the lineup. That was the 4-6 minute 4th line days though, of Maurice. Thank God Bowness changed that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they will the only one that was above "normal" was Appleton but they will like score at least 40+.

I actually think we need more scoring from the top 6 then the bottom 6, especially on the powerplay.

Yeah, they need to give line 2 more 5 on 5 minutes imo. The pp absolutely needs to improve. I want it to finish top half this year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm curious of what people thought of the special teams last night? That's the first time they have been executed after some practice time. Ehlers in the bumper? 2nd PP got both goals. I have to say I like the look of Miller on his shooting side, and two righties playing the top. Pionk made a real nice board play against two players to keep the puck alive on Lambert's goal. Lambert looks very poised on the PP, and that's without Perfetti on that unit. Is Perfetti better suited for the bumper spot on the 1st PP?

Hard to measure PK against AHL PP, but Morrissey played over 4 minutes on the PK. Is that something we might see again, put the best players out on the ice?

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad