Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Toronto
Tampa
Boston
Florida
Ottawa
Montreal
Detroit
Buffalo

Only reason I went with Boston over Florida is because they just seem to know how to win, while the Panthers more often than not find a way to mess things up. On paper I think the Panthers have the advantage and wouldn't be shocked if they finished as high as 2nd.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Boston lost Krejci up front.

They gained a full season of Taylor Hall. About a wash, no?

And then they really helped out their depth with Foligno, Haula and Nosek signings.

Not even close. All 3 of Foligno, Haula and Nosek are washed up. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
might have been overstated? His line was getting matched up against opponents top line the entire playoffs and shutting them down. Good luck repeating that without him.

Like I said, losing Danault is a huge risk which I’m not comfortable taking if I’m Bergevin. But consider that:

- Gallagher is top 20 in basically all 5v5 metrics in his whole career preceding him playing with Danault.

- This was with multiple different centres (Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Desharnais for the most part) and often playing against good competition especially when paired with Pleks.

Danault was a 4th line center before being paired forever with Gally. I think he is a solid 2 way centre and will do fine in LA, but let’s not forget Gallagher’s contribution to those top line shutdowns.

In the last 3 years, Gallagher has:

- highest takeaway / 60 of any Habs forward
- 4th lowest giveaway despite carrying the puck quite often (1st in rush attempts per 60)
- Twice the takeaways vs giveaways

In the same timeframe, Danault has far lesser takeaway rates AND more giveaways then takeaways.

Statistically Gallagher looks like the stellar defensive/possession forward, not Danault

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tampa curbstomped the Habs. How do you figure they finish ahead of them?

I think Tampa is going to coast a bit in the regular season. They'll 100% never come close to being worried for playoffs, but I could see them taking it a bit easy. Not that different from last year tbh, where they also finished 3rd I believe in their division.

Tampa is the only team that 100% makes the playoffs.

If Tampa goes all out - they can probably finish at 120+ points. But I doubt they do.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If they had Krecji I would have them in the POs. With the division being so competitive I just have them regressing.

Your not alone with that opinion. I don't see it myself. - I kinda compare them to Marty Brodeur. For a decade it looked like he was slipping only to turn it around every year. I learned, until he's obviously torched or out, don't bet against him. I'm like that with The Bruins. They're a top team until they're not - but can't see it this year.

Krejci is a big loss, no doubt, but they're still loaded at forward. #2C being o.k. and not a strength and that defensive depth outside of they're top 7 looks depleted is essentially it.

I could see Toronto and Ottawa regressing. They just played so loose last year. Once they start going up against the Bruins, Lightning, Panthers, Isle, Rangers, Pens, Caps, Flyers, Canes - it's going to be a wake-up call. These teams just play with so much more structure. Not anti-Ontario as Vancouver, Cowtown and Edmonton all played pond hockey way too much last year. Some fun hockey to watch - but it didn't do them any favours heading into this season when they have to get back into the heavy lifting of an NHL season.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I think Tampa is going to coast a bit in the regular season. They'll 100% never come close to being worried for playoffs, but I could see them taking it a bit easy. Not that different from last year tbh, where they also finished 3rd I believe in their division.

Tampa is the only team that 100% makes the playoffs.

If Tampa goes all out - they can probably finish at 120+ points. But I doubt they do.

I too wonder if Tampa prioritizes playoff performance over regular-season performance and simply aims to coast through the season as a good team...instead of an elite team.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I think you're a Habs fan so are you saying that Montreal has more Forward depth then Boston does ????

Maybe not up the middle but at wing..

25 goal or 50 pt wingers:

Gallagher
Anderson
Toffoli
Droin
Hoffman
Caufield (imo)

three more solid 3rd line wingers in

Armia
Byron
Lehkonen

then Perreault and Paquette.

Thats six lines worth of solid wingers lol.
Bruins top guys are better but that's pretty deep if nothing else!

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Maybe not up the middle but at wing..

25 goal or 50 pt wingers:

Gallagher
Anderson
Toffoli
Droin
Hoffman
Caufield (imo)

three more solid 3rd line wingers in

Armia
Byron
Lehkonen

then Perreault and Paquette.

Thats six lines worth of solid wingers lol.
Bruins top guys are better but that's pretty deep if nothing else!

Definitely in the middle as well. Boston has absolutely nothing other than a 37 years old Bergeron

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Florida - great season last year and should be a better team this year
Tampa - lost some depth so that's why I'm putting Panthers ahead. I predict an amazing season for Vasilevsky, top 3 for Hart
Boston - I don't know, they just always do well in the regular season. Full season of Hall will help a lot
Toronto - very good team, I just think the other three will be better

Montreal - won't be close to a wild card IMO, losing Weber, Danault, Tatar will hurt for the regular season
Ottawa - finishes maybe a point or two below Montreal. They continue to show impressive progress
Detroit - they'll do better than expected but still will be essentially out of playoff contention by January 2022
Buffalo - not much to say

Reactions: Anichels

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In the 4 games montreal won in that series, Carey Price had save percentages of: .949, .963, .956 and .935 for an average of .951. That’s god level goaltending. Also is the reason fans of other teams aren’t taking you seriously.

You guys did very well. But in the games you won in the playoffs (outside of just the vegas series) Carey Price had a save percentage of .945. That’s absolute domination by a HOF goaltender who got hot at the right time.
You're certainly picking and choosing. Save percentage in only the games he won?

In the games Campbell won, he had a save percentage of 1.000, .966, and .957, a lot better than Price's.

How about Vasilievskiy had a .937, Campbell had a .934, and Price was way down in sixth with a .924?

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
In tiers when it comes to making the playoffs:
Tampa - would be shocked if they missed
Florida, Toronto, Boston - expected to make it but some question marks
Ottawa, Montreal - could make it, wouldn't bet on them though
Detroit - they made it... how? WOW. Yzerman is god I guess.
Buffalo - we've entered an alternate dimension.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Florida - playing solid hockey so far, no surprise.
Buffalo - Team hockey, solid effort, good coaching, undefeated... big surprise so far.
Detroit - Early Norris and Rookie candidate Mo is playing great, so is the team... big surprise so far (the team results, not Mo)
Toronto - Overall good team, who can't score very well... surprise that their weakness is scoring.
Ottawa - decent results, working hard - Record is a surprise, that they are working hard isn't.
Tampa - broke all their players, can't keep the puck out of the net... surprise that they've allowed over 4 goals against per game.
Boston - So far their story is, they've only played one game, so who knows.
Montreal - Three goals for in four games, 15 against. They've forgotten how to hockey.

Early in the season, plenty of surprises, hard work is being rewarded.

Reactions: Laus723

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
-Still have Buffalo as the bottom team in the division.

-Detroit and Ottawa could battle for a WC spot, but they dont finish ahead of Toronto, Tampa, and Florida. Most likely Boston, but they’ve only played a game so far, so I’d obviously have to see more.

-Toronto hasn’t scored a lot because:
  • Matthews came back on Monday, in a game where they should have scored more, but Shesterkin was ridiculous.
  • I don’t like their depth after their top four forwards. If you shut them down, you shut the Leafs down.
  • Don’t understand also why they cater so much to Marner.
-Don’t think Montreal is as bad as they are playing, but I barely expected them to challenge for a WC spot to begin with. Let’s see when Hoffman gets back, if he can give their PP a scoring boost.

-Tampa is Tampa. They make it unless they lose another key piece. They are vulnerable though. Think their D is questionable at times, and their depth up front as well.

-Florida is exactly where they should be, at or near the top of the division. They are a little sloppy with penalties, and need to get the PP going. But even without a PP goal yet, they’ve scored 14 goals in 3 games, with 7 different goal scorers. They are deep, and I expect them to challenge for the Presidents Trophy this season.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Florida - playing solid hockey so far, no surprise.
Buffalo - Team hockey, solid effort, good coaching, undefeated... big surprise so far.
Detroit - Early Norris and Rookie candidate Mo is playing great, so is the team... big surprise so far (the team results, not Mo)
Toronto - Overall good team, who can't score very well... surprise that their weakness is scoring.
Ottawa - decent results, working hard - Record is a surprise, that they are working hard isn't.
Tampa - broke all their players, can't keep the puck out of the net... surprise that they've allowed over 4 goals against per game.
Boston - So far their story is, they've only played one game, so who knows.
Montreal - Three goals for in four games, 15 against. They've forgotten how to hockey.

Early in the season, plenty of surprises, hard work is being rewarded.

Florida will become a powerhouse if their lines continue to click. They have 3 scoringlines:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett
Vatrano - Lundell - Reinhart

Floridas 3rd line is better than many teams second...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Florida will become a powerhouse if their lines continue to click. They have 3 scoringlines:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Duclair
Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett
Vatrano - Lundell - Reinhart

Floridas 3rd line is better than many teams second...

Marchment - Lundell - Reinhart

is the line. Vatrano was playing the 4th with Thornton and Hornqvist. While I wanted Reinhart with Barkov, it seems he and Lundell had something going immediately, and built on that as the game went on. I think you can pencil that in as your top nine for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad